Unfeatured Hubs.

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (46 posts)
  1. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

I have noticed recently that a substantial number of my hubs have become un-featured due to low traffic. I can understand this for those few that have had no views in the last 30 days, however a few of them have had quite regular traffic, one in particular "My Friend the Oak"  is one of my most popular hubs with well in excess of 1200 views and steady views every day with regular red arrows. For this to be flagged as having no traffic there has to be something wrong with the system used to identify low traffic hubs. Has anyone else had this problem?

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
      Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

all the time;
      Here is what I do and it has worked every single time with every single hub/article: Change the title!

1. Jodah profile image92
        Jodahposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Kathryn. I have done that for a few of them and had them re featured. May have to change the titles of all of them.

2. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi John,

I noticed one of mine today went half circle which is due to non-engagement ...but it is a seasonal hub, so I can understand it going half circle.  So, I just did my usual and tweaked the title and shared on Pinterest on one of my boards, and that will usually take care of it. If not, I may unpublish until it gets closer to Christmas. 

You have a ton more hubs than I do, so I can't imagine those with so many hubs trying to keep up with them all.  I think they do this it seems every couple of months.  Just tweak the titles and share wherever and they should be featured back real fast.

I don't understand the one that is getting views being unfeatured though.  Strange.

1. Jodah profile image92

Thanks Faith, yes I have been tweaking titles, adding content, and sharing. Have managed to get some featured again, but just as I do I find more have become in-featured. It is becoming quite a battle.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
          Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Don't just tweak titles. Create brand new tiltes.

3. mary615 profile image81
      mary615posted 8 years agoin reply to this

The only Hubs I've had to be unfeatured are poems or recipes, Jodah.  I'm tempted to just unpublish poems altogether.   Seasonal Hubs are that don't get much traffic lowers my overall score, too.
      Like Kenny Rogers says in his song:  You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold them, etc.etc.

1. Jodah profile image92

What surprises me Mary is that my Christmas hubs, for instance, are still featured and those that aren't are a mixture of poetry, short stories, essays. I understand that the more hubs you have, the more that are likely to be not featured...but I've only ever had one or two before. My hubber score seems to have dropped in conjunction with so many hubs being  as well.

4. Christy Kirwan profile image91
      Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jodah,

As psycheskinner mentioned, only search traffic is taken into account for a Hub to remain Featured, but even if your Hub is no longer Featured, it shouldn't get less social traffic.

1. Jodah profile image92

Thanks for replying Kristy, I never knew that it was only search traffic that counted to keep hubs featured. Most of my traffic is from Hub Pages, followed by Pinterest, and Google third, so I guess I have no hope.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image91

Hi Jodah,

When a Hub isn't Featured it just means that Hub is no longer visible to search engines, so we defeature those Hubs without at least a heartbeat of search traffic as a protective measure for the site as a whole; lack of traffic is often a good indication that Google takes some issue with a page.

Don't forget that although a Hub may not be Featured, it can still be reached through the links you and others have shared on social media, websites, and elsewhere, and you are still earning revenue from your readers as well.

5. MelRootsNWrites profile image88
      MelRootsNWritesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I find it interesting that hubs are still unfeatured for not getting enough Google Search traffic especially after the email from HubPages yesterday titled "Increasing Your Hubs Traffic Without Google". It gave several tips on getting alternative traffic.

It seems odd to me that Jodah's hub with 1200+ views is valued differently and deemed insufficient because of the source of the traffic.

1. Jodah profile image92

Thanks Mel, at least Christie made it clear that "only search traffic is taken into account for a Hub to remain Featured" and "social traffic" doesn't count..but it makes you wonder in regard to that Hub Page post yesterday.

6. profile image0
      Snakesmumposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Just today, a hub was un-featured for lack of traffic, and recently quite a few have had this problem.

What I usually do is edit the text and sometimes improve the images, but at the rate the traffic has been lately, it's going to become a very regular occurrence.  :-(

As others have said, sometimes changing the title helps too, and changes get them featured again for a time.   It seems to be a vicious circle though, and I guess we'll all have to keep trying to improve our writings. 

Moving articles to your own site isn't always an option, if they don't fit in with the site's niche.

2. Dana Tate profile image81
    Dana Tateposted 8 years ago

Same here, I did the same, I just changed the titles and they were republished. Unfortunately, they are still not getting many views, so I may have to find away to revamp them.

1. Jodah profile image92

Dana, let me know the names of the hubs you aren't getting much traffic on and I will comment on them or reshare them. Some of mine that are now no longer featured are your favourites...the Beneath the Floors series.

1. Dana Tate profile image81
        Dana Tateposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Jodah; The ones I would appreciate you sharing are "wonders of creation, and my new one which didn't get as much traffic as I hoped, which is Turn discouragement into encouragement. As for the beneath the floors series I cannot believe it! I felt that was one of your most artistic pieces. Anyway, my hubs do pretty well on Pinterest. I was thinking creating one just for short stories. I would love to include the... Beneath the floor series, and any others you feel my audience will enjoy...let me know.

1. Jodah profile image92

Sure Dana, I will share those hubs. It would be great if you start a short story board on Pinterest too. I'd love you to share the Beneath the Floors series. You could check also "the Blue Gum Gang", "where the Lost Things Go" and "Tears Across the Waves" and see if you think they are suitable. Thanks.

3. Charito1962 profile image86
    Charito1962posted 8 years ago

Hello, John, and all the others in this forum. Let me share with you what I do whenever I see that one of my hubs has been unfeatured. First of all, I never edit my text body. I simply re-layout my photos and video capsules. I also spread out my Amazon products so they are not grouped together in one place. Then, my hub is re-featured.
    Try my style. It may just work for you people.

1. Jodah profile image92

Thanks Charito, I never have my Amazon and eBay capsules grouped together and rarely have more than two anyway, but I haven't tried rearranging my photo and videos. I will try that.

4. Billrrrr profile image85
    Billrrrrposted 8 years ago

The reasons for what happens on Hubpages stay with those HP people behind the unfeeling robots who push the buttons that give life to our hubs or take life from them.  Like most people I rarely embrace change and have to be dragged into any new thing.  For me, many of the Hubpages changes are excellent; but too many of them are simply a pain in the posterior.  We bare our souls in what we do.  It wouldn't hurt for the platform to be a little more like a writer - get transparent and tell us what's behind the curtain.

1. Jodah profile image92

I agree Bill, I welcome many of the changes that have been made recently and I understand that they have to constantly moderate hubs for quality and traffic. The problem I have is that this doesn't seem consistent. I have hubs that have had no views in the last 30 days that are still featured while some that have had regular views are not supposedly due to no traffic. Yes, more transparency would be nice.

5. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 8 years ago

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12540342_f1024.jpg

1. Jodah profile image92

Exactly my point Luis.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image61
      LindaSmith1posted 8 years ago

Solution is easy:  Move them to your own sites which works better and you earn more.  Glad I did exactly that!

1. Jodah profile image92

Thanks Linda, my personal site doesn't make a cent unfortunately.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
        LuisEGonzalezposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Linda that's not the point. Yes our own sites may or may not make more, but this practice of unfeaturing hubs seems (at the surface) to be a way for HP to keep people tweaking, editing etc their hubs which in turn creates "actions" which are then re-visited by Google, Bing and so on. The more "actions" that these bots see the more money (possibly) that the site can garner. It all may boil down to activity VS inactivity. Search engines "like" regular activity and any editing is just that and unless a hub is unfeatured authors are more likely to leave them alone (inactivity)

3. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

Only search traffic is counted in "engagement" de-featuring.

Any change at all will reset the clock, even just adding a comma.

4. lovebuglena profile image85
      lovebuglenaposted 8 years ago

It is very frustrating when hubs get unfeatured due to low traffic. I've never heard of this being done anywhere else but here. While making a minor tweak and republishing gets the hubs featured again when there are many hubs to do that for it becomes a hassle.

1. Jodah profile image92

Yes lovebuglena, my sentiments exactly. Thanks for the support.

5. Buildreps profile image85
      Buildrepsposted 8 years ago

Never happened to me up to now. But it can happen any time, because I have also sleeping Hubs that had no traffic in the last 30 days. It wouldn't frustrate me, because it would remind me that there's one that needs attention. Keep editing your Hubs and promote them on Social Media helps to get them back on their feet again. Good luck!

1. Jodah profile image92

I wouldn't mind either Buildreps if it was just one or two at a time but when it is a dozen or more it is rather time consuming and frustrating. I was a member of HP for five years before I had my first un-featured hub, now it is happening every day.

6. JenwithMisty profile image69
      JenwithMistyposted 8 years ago

1,200 views in not low traffic and it makes me laugh how people automatically assume that it's a hub problem because it's someone else having the problem. If it was their own hubs, then it would be a Hubpages problem tongue I think this one is a Hubpages problem.

1. Jodah profile image92

Thank you Jenwith Misty. Much appreciated.

7. Siva222 profile image73
      Siva222posted 8 years ago

And I thought that it was only me who was facing this issue. It is not possible for us to ask our followers to read all the hubs written by us and once a hub is read it cannot be read again and again. What to do next? Advertise our hubs? By contacting new people and asking them to read and comment on our hubs? I am confused.

1. Jodah profile image92

Siva, You can make a change to the titles or some other change to the content and the hubs will be represented to the search engines. If you have new followers since you wrote the hubs you can re-share them on Hub Pages as well as Twitter, Pinterest, Google + etc, however for every one I update and re-share, I find two more are un-featured.

8. Siva222 profile image73

Thanks a lot John. That helps.

9. Siva222 profile image73

John Keep the faith. For a writer like you traffic should never be a problem. Very soon it will increase.

1. Jodah profile image92

Thanks Siva.

10. Jodah profile image92
      Jodahposted 8 years ago

Thanks again Christy. I have now edited all my hubs that had half circles and in most cases I feel they have improved, so it's good to have the prod to review them. I do realise that hubs that aren't featured can still be accessed and read so maybe I shouldn't stress about it. For me it's just a status thing and I don't like seeing the half circle symbol ( better than being not featured due to quality though).

1. Christy Kirwan profile image91

I understand the sentiment. If it helps, remember that Featured status is a necessary evil that is a reflection of what Google wants rather than a reflection of the absolute quality of your writing.

1. janderson99 profile image53
          janderson99posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sorry Christy, but I find this comment inappropriate, wrong and way off the mark. How do you know that hubs that get low traffic are not what Google 'wants' or 'likes'? That statement is insulting to people who write excellent articles. A hub that is perfect is every way in terms of Google's quality standards may still get low traffic simply because few people search for the topic or there is overwhelming competition for the topic. There should be no implication that there is something wrong with it in the 'eyes' of Google. I am sure that many obscure Wiki topics get very low traffic. Does that mean that Google does not like them?

Equally the notion that Google gives low traffic to a hub that has inferior quality or that low traffic somehow triggers a reaction from Google is nonsense. How do you know that low traffic hubs somehow hurt the site or are offensive in some way? Unfeaturing for low traffic is simply a sledge hammer approach based on the erroneous notion that low traffic implies that Google considers the hub to have low quality. HP has admitted in the past that there is collateral damage from this harsh, blunt policy.

Meanwhile HP has a grandfathering policy which preserves hubs that get minimum traffic, but that clearly break HP's rules, and clearly damage the site via Panda, until the hubs are edited. Many of these 'bad apple' hubs date from 2011 and earlier. The focus of HP is wrong in my opinion. There are huge numbers of hubs that have not been fully QAPed. Please reconsider making bland statements about what Google 'likes' with implications for the authors.

11. Fiction Teller profile image60
      Fiction Tellerposted 8 years ago

Too, not all grandfathered or QAP unfeatured hubs are disliked by Google. Some of these Google still favors even though they have more than 2-3 products promoted (the new "unofficial" standard, no matter if the hub is 300 words or 3,000) or products promoted that have not been used by the author. Some of these were even originally Panda'd, then recovered, which means Google decided users liked them a lot.

It would be good if it were acknowledged that a better word than "reflection" is "prediction."  HubPages is trying to up the quality, but with standards, as janderson99 says, that leave collateral damage.

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
        Jean Bakulaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

A few months ago a large portion of my hubs were not featured. I just changed one or two little things and they were featured again. Change the pictures around, add or delete a sentence, change an image, and they should be fine again. It makes no sense, and has nothing to do with our quality of writing. But it bothers me to see a bunch of my hubs not featured for vague reasons too.

1. Jodah profile image92

Hi Jean, I have moved pics around, changed a few titles, added a little text here and there...and they are all featured again. So all is good until the next bunch of hubs are affected.

12. Venkatachari M profile image82
      Venkatachari Mposted 8 years ago

I also have some unfeatured hubs. One is unfeatured since two months "A tribute to my spouse". I edited it 2 times and got featured it for some days. But again it got unfeatured for both traffic and quality. I kept it pending since then. The other two are titled "Eating Fruits" and "My Winter Memories" which are unfeatured due to traffic since 3 weeks and I have not touched them also till now. I wanted to see for how long they will keep them unfeatured.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)