Personality Test for Writers

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Christy Kirwan profile image92
    Christy Kirwanposted 8 years ago

Hi there friends, I just stumbled across a fascinating tool that I think many of you will enjoy; IBM Watson Personality Insights. It analyzes a writing sample and generates a profile of the social characteristics of the writer.

Simply paste a sample of your writing into the box and click the "Analyze" button for your personalized profile. You can take the test here: IBM Watson Personality Insights

What do you think of your results?

1. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's interesting.It said I was compulsive and empathetic and it's important to me to take care of people around me. Pretty accurate.

2. Solaras profile image94
      Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for posting Christy - not a bad site and food for thought!

3. Kylyssa profile image91
      Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I was pleasantly surprised. When I plugged in random chapters of a novel I'm serializing, it followed the intended character development of the main character fairly well. When I plugged in a couple of chapters of a different novel I'm writing, it followed the personality development of the main character (a very different character) even better.

4. Christy Kirwan profile image92
      Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's so neat to see everyone's results! I'm a big fan of finding different ways to think about one's writing, and tests like these can be a great tool to help us consider angles we haven't before as writers. smile

5. Venkatachari M profile image82
      Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's so interesting and amazing to see. It says that my thoughts and choices are driven by a desire for well-being. And that you like to set your own goals to decide how to best achieve them.
      So wonderful and mirrors my thoughts.

2. paradigm search profile image54
    paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

I submitted two hubs, a how-to hub and a humor hub.

The how-to hub resulted in: "You are rational and analytical."

The humor hub resulted in: "The ambulance will arrive in a half-hour."

1. Christy Kirwan profile image92
      Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hah, sounds about right!

1. paradigm search profile image54
        paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

3. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 8 years ago

Excellent and very accurate!

"You are shrewd and inner-directed.

You are authority-challenging: you prefer to challenge authority and traditional values to help bring about positive changes. You are calm under pressure: you handle unexpected events calmly and effectively. And you are independent: you have a strong desire to have time to yourself.

Your choices are driven by a desire for self-expression.

You consider taking pleasure in life to guide a large part of what you do: you are highly motivated to enjoy life to its fullest. You are relatively unconcerned with tradition: you care more about making your own path than following what others have done."

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I analyzed the text from a spam email and got something similar.  I think the results are written like horoscopes, generic enough to apply to anyone but with enough texture that they feel personal.

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The analysis is based on the text content of what is written, rather literally what words it's given.

It's offering up the emotional content of the writing as an analysis of someone's personality, so if you enter upbeat text, it's going to presume you are too.  Enter something more downbeat, or an analytical piece, and Watson will tell you your personality is like whatever you've written.

Put in the lyrics to NIN's "Hurt" and Watson says "You are a bit compulsive, somewhat inconsiderate and skeptical."

Put in the lyrics to Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" and Watson replies "You are helpful, generous and confident."

The results are an amusing novelty, but are no more scientific or accurate than asking for a personality assessment from a random toddler.

1. Kylyssa profile image91
          Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

^This is spot on; it only evaluates the emotional content of the words.^

I plugged in a fight scene from Gruldak and got this hilarious analysis:

All that punching, swearing, choking, and grappling must have been relaxing, I guess?

4. Thelma Alberts profile image89
    Thelma Albertsposted 8 years ago

This is what I got. Very interesting and indeed accurate.

"You are confident, generous and can be perceived as dependent.

You are assertive: you tend to speak up and take charge of situations, and you are comfortable leading groups. You are respectful of authority: you prefer following with tradition in order to maintain a sense of stability. And you are calm under pressure: you handle unexpected events calmly and effectively.

You are motivated to seek out experiences that provide a strong feeling of connectedness.

You are relatively unconcerned with both independence and taking pleasure in life. You welcome when others direct your activities for you. And you prefer activities with a purpose greater than just personal enjoyment."

5. UnnamedHarald profile image93
    UnnamedHaraldposted 8 years ago

I posted two articles, one having the most impressions and a sentimental favorite of mine. I got the exact same results for both:

-----------------------------------------
    You are heartfelt, rational and restrained.

You are calm under pressure: you handle unexpected events calmly and effectively. You are calm-seeking: you prefer activities that are quiet, calm, and safe. And you are confident: you are hard to embarrass and are self-confident most of the time.

You are motivated to seek out experiences that provide a strong feeling of efficiency.

You are relatively unconcerned with tradition: you care more about making your own path than following what others have done. You don't find helping others to be particularly motivating for you: you think people can handle their own business without interference.
    --------------------------------------------

Not sure about handling unexpected events calmly though. Or maybe my writing fooled Watson. I'm okay with that. It does look like there is a very finite pool of results.

6. Fiction Teller profile image61
    Fiction Tellerposted 8 years ago

That WAS fun.  I submitted Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation and got:

You are shrewd, skeptical and restrained.

You are adventurous: you are eager to experience new things. You are empathetic: you feel what others feel and are compassionate towards them. And you are authority-challenging: you prefer to challenge authority and traditional values to help bring about positive changes.

Your choices are driven by a desire for prestige.

You are relatively unconcerned with tradition: you care more about making your own path than following what others have done. You consider independence to guide a large part of what you do: you like to set your own goals to decide how to best achieve them.

7. Chriswillman90 profile image91
    Chriswillman90posted 8 years ago

Oh no well that revealed a few unpleasant characteristics, but it was still pretty fun to try out.

This is what I got:

You are a bit inconsiderate and unconventional.

You are laid-back: you appreciate a relaxed pace in life. You are intermittent: you have a hard time sticking with difficult tasks for a long period of time. And you are unstructured: you do not make a lot of time for organization in your daily life.

You are motivated to seek out experiences that provide a strong feeling of belongingness.

You consider helping others to guide a large part of what you do: you think it is important to take care of the people around you. You don't find tradition to be particularly motivating for you: you care more about making your own path than following what others have done.

8. Fiction Teller profile image61
    Fiction Tellerposted 8 years ago

This is kind of addictive.

I don't think it likes poetry.  I posted the following:

There once was a lady from Saddle
    Who decided to move all her cattle
    She ate some sweet toffee
    And gulped down her coffee
    Then headed them all for Seattle.

There once was a starving musician
    Who decided to go a'fishin'
    He caught a few notes
    And sang a few quotes
    But failed his culinary mission.

There once was a poet named Homer
    Who wrote about a real Gomer
    This guy wasn't stoic
    He was hardly heroic
    And in fact was a cheating roamer.

Haiku, my haiku
    I hike, you hike, ooh, I - coo!
    You rock, my haiku

There once was a poem that tried
    To make enough text to provide.
    Unfortunately
    It couldn't just be
    Stubbornly it laid down and died.

An AI program was written
    To discern a child from a kitten
    It gave the kid tuna
    To the cat, it read "baboona lagoona,"
    And by both was promptly bitten.

And I got back something sadly far from the truth:

You are shrewd, inner-directed and tranquil.

You are self-focused: you are more concerned with taking care of yourself than taking time for others. You are unconcerned with art: you are less concerned with artistic or creative activities than most people who participated in our surveys. And you are reserved: you are a private person and don't let many people in.

Your choices are driven by a desire for discovery.

You are relatively unconcerned with helping others: you think people can handle their own business without interference. You consider achieving success to guide a large part of what you do: you seek out opportunities to improve yourself and demonstrate that you are a capable person.

9. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 8 years ago

I did a few different types of samples.  I got a lot of stuff that seems accurate, but with each sample there was a minor point or two (maybe) that I question.  Quite a bit of "the same stuff" throughout, though.

I'm actually more concerned with that "Visualization" chart at the bottom of the page. I just find it disturbing (;lol:) to see verbal-related information presented in the kind of chart they have there.  In none of my results was it mentioned, "You expect word-related information to be presented in a way that doesn't cause you to feel like you're freaking out because words are supposed to be in rows and/or lists - not "all sideways", junked together to boot, and presented in a visually disturbing mix of red and blue."   I can't help but wonder if I'm the only one who finds that particular "visualization thing"/chart as "mental-short-circuit-causing" as that one seems to be.   lol  I mean....   I'm fine with a good pie chart or any number of bar graphs; but THAT thing on something aimed at writers just kind of causes me such a mental-short-circuiting it almost makes me a little nauseous (the way being dizzy makes a person).  (Maybe I just need new eyeglasses..... hmm )
    Anyway, now I'm going to go type what I've written here into the "test" and see what I get.  (I'm guessing I'll get yet another "somewhat critical"     lol   )

A couple of my samples did, however, yield the results:  "Somewhat critical".    smile   ; (Oh, I forgot to mention that I did get one "you don't like to joke very often".    hmm   hmm    )

1. Solaras profile image94
      Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I totally missed the chart and data behind your personality area - thanks for bringing that to my attention. So I had to plug in another article that I was working on to see what what happened in that area.  I have grown!

Now I am; "You are relatively unconcerned with achieving success: you make decisions with little regard for how they show off your talents. You consider helping others to guide a large part of what you do: you think it is important to take care of the people around you."

I was growing concerned about my lack of concern...

10. RonElFran profile image96
    RonElFranposted 8 years ago

I posted samples from two of my hubs, each on very different subjects. And I got very different results! I'm going to take that as a positive indication that I'm able to be flexible in my writing style according to the subject matter.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I just put your Post above through that test and it replied:

"You tend to be rather economical in regards to telling the whole story! This can lead towards exaggerated embellishment of situations you would prefer not to share with others!"
      Oh my... I'm so glad I used your words!  smile

11. Solaras profile image94
    Solarasposted 8 years ago

I posted 2 articles to the site.  One was from my blog and scientific in nature, the other was a dog name hub.

Scientific article brought:
    You are heartfelt and somewhat insensitive.

You are calm under pressure: you handle unexpected events calmly and effectively. You are confident: you are hard to embarrass and are self-confident most of the time. And you are empathetic: you feel what others feel and are compassionate towards them.

You are relatively unconcerned with both tradition and taking pleasure in life. You care more about making your own path than following what others have done. And you prefer activities with a purpose greater than just personal enjoyment.

Then I got this with the name hub:
    You are heartfelt, somewhat insensitive and strict.

You are philosophical: you are open to and intrigued by new ideas and love to explore them. You are calm under pressure: you handle unexpected events calmly and effectively. And you are unstructured: you do not make a lot of time for organization in your daily life.

Experiences that make you feel high prestige are generally unappealing to you.

You consider achieving success to guide a large part of what you do: you seek out opportunities to improve yourself and demonstrate that you are a capable person. You are relatively unconcerned with tradition: you care more about making your own path than following what others have done.

They are not so different from each other (except for the prestige thing which contradicts itself)- LOL - so I am an insensitive bitch in both; so sad about me... hmm; perhaps one can only truly know one's self through computer's eyes.

12. Jason Marovich profile image88
    Jason Marovichposted 8 years ago

Pretty cool. 

It said I'm sentimental.  Go figure.

13. cperuzzi profile image90
    cperuzziposted 8 years ago

My Norton's popped up for this as it was a known a dangerous website for viruses.  Proceed with caution.

14. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 8 years ago

I shared the link on FB and a number of people I know have quoted their results. I find these match what I know about the person very well. Obviously different writing styles, different perspectives, different vocabulary sets will generate different results especially for writers of fiction, who need to be chameleons of sorts. If you put in an excerpt that you consider to be what the Ancient Egyptians called maat kheru (true of voice) then I think you may get some insights to ponder. It is interesting to note that the blurb on the site talks of blog and Facebook posts, implying material where you are more likely to be yourself.

15. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

This is great Christy, I put the text from one of my hubs in, and the result:

"You are rational and heartfelt.

You are confident: you are hard to embarrass and are self-confident most of the time. You are empathetic: you feel what others feel and are compassionate towards them. And you are calm-seeking: you prefer activities that are quiet, calm, and safe.

You are relatively unconcerned with independence: you welcome when others direct your activities for you. You consider helping others to guide a large part of what you do: you think it is important to take care of the people around you."

1. janshares profile image94
      jansharesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Looks like we have some traits in common, Jodah. Maybe being poets have something to do with it. smile

1. Jodah profile image92
        Jodahposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Haha Jan, maybe it does. Here's to all the poets!

16. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 8 years ago

Very cool and on the mark, with some surprises:

You are expressive, heartfelt and informal.

You are philosophical: you are open to and intrigued by new ideas and love to explore them. You are empathetic: you feel what others feel and are compassionate towards them. And you are assertive: you tend to speak up and take charge of situations, and you are comfortable leading groups.

Your choices are driven by a desire for connectedness.

You are relatively unconcerned with both taking pleasure in life and independence. You prefer activities with a purpose greater than just personal enjoyment. And you welcome when others direct your activities for you.

17. adevwriting profile image60
    adevwritingposted 8 years ago

I don't know whether it is true about me but when I submitted the text of my Bioluminescence hub this is the response I got:
    "You are shrewd, skeptical and tranquil.

You are imaginative: you have a wild imagination. You are philosophical: you are open to and intrigued by new ideas and love to explore them. And you are solemn: you are generally serious and do not joke much.

Experiences that make you feel high discovery are generally unappealing to you.

You are relatively unconcerned with tradition: you care more about making your own path than following what others have done. You consider independence to guide a large part of what you do: you like to set your own goals to decide how to best achieve them. "

When I submitted the text of my NHK World TV hub, this is the response I got:
    You are heartfelt, rational and strict.

"You are laid-back: you appreciate a relaxed pace in life. You are proud: you hold yourself in high regard, satisfied with who you are. And you are self-controlled: you have control over your desires, which are not particularly intense.

Experiences that make you feel high efficiency are generally unappealing to you.

You are relatively unconcerned with achieving success: you make decisions with little regard for how they show off your talents. You consider independence to guide a large part of what you do: you like to set your own goals to decide how to best achieve them."

Thanks for sharing the link to this tool. smile

1. sallybea profile image95
      sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I submitted a few pieces from some writing challenges I wrote on HubPages and came up with some slightly varying results, but I think for the most part it was pretty spot on.
      You are social and confident.

You are empathetic: you feel what others feel and are compassionate towards them. You are altruistic: you feel fulfilled when helping others, and will go out of your way to do so. And you are outgoing: you make friends easily and feel comfortable around other people.

You are motivated to seek out experiences that provide a strong feeling of connectedness.

You consider independence to guide a large part of what you do: you like to set your own goals to decide how to best achieve them. You are relatively unconcerned with tradition: you care more about making your own path than following what others have done.

18. Sustainable Sue profile image96
    Sustainable Sueposted 8 years ago

I have two pseudonyms on Hubpages: Sustainable Sue and Watergeek. I posted several of my watergeek articles and two of my sustainable sue ones, testing to see if the type of article changed the reading, if my earlier articles reflected something different from the later ones, if my HOD articles read differently, if the most popular articles were different from those hardly read. Here is the main difference I found:

*Posting just part of an article will get you skewed results. From my most recent watergeek article I posted about 250 words and got results showing I was social and boisterous. That was my first try with this tool. After trying all the others mentioned above and getting nothing like that, I tried posting the entire 2000+ word article and got that I was unconventional and informal. That was interesting, cause I did something different in writing this article. And that was the only time I got that reading.

*The general consensus of the other six or seven articles I inserted was that I am shrewd, skeptical and tranquil, with heartfelt often thrown in. There was no difference between the two pseudonyms (which cover two different topics). There was no difference between my 2012 posts and 2014 ones. And no difference between those I won HODs for and those I didn't. No difference between the best and least read ones either.

Openness was high and extroversion low in nearly all hubs, but extroversion was 55% in my latest hub . . . meaning high for me. In real life I'm quite extroverted when around others, but spend a lot of time alone. So how can I utilize this information? I dunno, but it was fun checking it out.

1. Sustainable Sue profile image96
      Sustainable Sueposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I guess Is should add the rest of the reading. This was a sustainable sue hub, but fairly typical of watergeek too:

You are shrewd, skeptical and tranquil.

You are imaginative: you have a wild imagination. You are philosophical: you are open to and intrigued by new ideas and love to explore them. And you are calm under pressure: you handle unexpected events calmly and effectively.

You are motivated to seek out experiences that provide a strong feeling of prestige. (This was the most changeable.)

You are relatively unconcerned with tradition: you care more about making your own path than following what others have done. You value independence a bit more: you like to set your own goals to decide how to best achieve them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)