Should I have a Blog for my Hubpages?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (27 posts)
  1. MichalWrotter profile image61
    MichalWrotterposted 8 years ago

I am sorry if I ask a silly thing. I never had a blog and I feel all blogs in a world, even blogger is difficult for me to keep with. I wanted to kindly ask if someone could explain me If blog can help with traffic to my hubpages. How it needs to be set so no rules would be crossed. I trully wish to do as much as I can for my hubpages articles. I know I am at the start but I would like to know What are my options. I am not native speaker so please simple answer would be amazing.

I know many asking this but please if you can help, just do.

I want to know What blog site I should use.
    How to set it up for backlinks for hubpages

Thank you so much.

Michal

1. bizgrrl profile image62
      bizgrrlposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I started three blogs on Blogger for three of my Hubs of different themes. I will just be posting a couple of articles on each. I made back links to my Hubs and also links to Amazon. I won't be investing too much time on my blogs, in case it doesn't do much help. The important thing with the blogs was to have a good keyword title for the blogs and the posts. I also didn't want to put too many links 'cause I know Google doesn't like it.

MichalWrotterposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for your feedback. I would love to see your blog once it is done if I may :-)

No prob, you can find me on Blogger under Biz Grrl.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If all your links are to HubPages, then even if you're sparing with those links, Google won't like it.

Not all links go to HubPages, I also have links to Street Articles and Amazon.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

What are you hoping these blogs will achieve?  Why did you start them? 

The idea of starting a blog to promote your Hubs is an idea that was popular four or five years ago, although even then it was debatable how much good it did.

Nowadays it is not worth it.   It does not work for creating backlinks - no matter how many times you link from your blog to HubPages, Google will count only one or two of those links because they are all from the same domain.   So it's useless as part of your backlinking strategy.

If you're thinking you can attract real readers to your blog, who will then click on the links to your Hubs - how many readers do you expect to get to your blog?  And if you ARE able to attract readers to your blog, why do you want to send them to your Hubs - why not keep them on your blog and monetize there, where you get to keep 100% of the revenue?

I'm not using the ad option on HubPages. I'm just using my own Amazon Associate ID.

What would you recommend then for a backlinking strategy? Or should I say, Hub exposure?

If all you're using is your Amazon Associates ID, you will never make enough money on HubPages to make the effort worthwhile, no matter how much backlinking you do!     HubPages does not allow enough Amazon capsules for you to make enough sales. 

The important thing with a backlinking strategy is to remember that Google counts only one or two links from a single website.  So there's no point having heaps of links from one website.  You could look at guest blogging and participating in forums on your chosen subject.

However, it's really not efficient to create backlinks for HubPages.   When you create backlinks to a blog, you bring the reader to your site then, hopefully, they will stay and browse several posts.  So for one backlink, you get a big payoff.  However when you create backlinks to HubPages, it's likely the reader will come and visit ONE Hub, then go off and visit someone else's Hub rather than another of yours.  So you're not getting much return for your effort.   I find it's better to just let Hubs develop their own backlinks naturally.   Make the effort to create Made for Pinterest images to improve your chances.

Thanks for the info. I've been using Pinterest as well.

Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

No, you do not need a blog for your HubPages.   It's a very outdated idea to run a blog and post links to all your Hubs on it - if it ever did any good, which is debatable, it certainly doesn't offer any benefits now.

Ahh you made my day! So it means I should just keep on writing here and just focus on quality articles, right?

3. profile image0
    promisemposted 8 years ago

I agree for the most part with Marisa. But if you have expertise in a topic or want to write a lot more about that topic, then by all means start a blog. HubPages is good for a small number of big articles, but not good for dozens or hundreds of small ones.

Put only a few links on the most important pages on that blog back to HubPages. Keep in mind that writing once a month for a blog will create very little value for those backlinks and your HubPage articles. They only start to matter when you write a lot and develop an audience for the blog.

Thank you so kindly for your reply.. I am at the really start and was just wondering about it. I love express myself in writing but most likely if I focuse on hubpages it would be the best.

Promisem, you're referring to starting a blog for its own sake and that is a completely different matter.  By all means, if someone is passionate about a particular subject, then starting a blog about it is the obvious thing to do and may ultimately be more profitable than writing on sites like HP.

1. profile image0
        promisemposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, I'm talking about starting a blog for its own sake and for the sake of HP pages. Each project can send audience and search engine value to the other. That's what I do now for the benefit of both.

But you are aware that reciprocal links have limited value?  So if you're linking FROM your blog TO Hubs and FROM Hubs back to your blog, those links may cancel each other out in Google's eyes? 

Also that even if you make all your links in one direction (e.g. either all from the blog to HP, or vice versa), then Google will count only one or two of those links because they are all between the same two domains.

in both cases, the reason they're discounted is that it's obvious to Google they are created for the purpose of a backlink, not by a genuinely interested reader. 

I do have links from some of my Hubs to my related blogs, because I have some Hubs which get high traffic so it means I can drive real readers to my blogs.

1. profile image0

Yes, I'm aware of it. I suspect they cancel each other out if two pages link to each other. But I'm sure you know that there is an important difference between sites that cross link versus individual pages that do it.

It's less clear what happens -- and no one outside of Google knows for sure -- how much or little value is lost if a Page A on Site 1 links to Page B on Site 2 while Page C on Site 2 links to Page D on Site 1.

Regardless, if they send actual traffic to each other, at least the links provide that value.

Are you sure there's that much difference between sites and individual pages, if it's a clear pattern across two sites that are repeatedly linking to each other from different posts/pages?  It is such a common practice that I'm sure Google would be looking out for it!

The OP's question was whether it was worth creating a blog to improve his traffic to HubPages.  While a blog can be very worthwhile - in fact more worthwhile than Hubbing - my point was that it's not worth starting a blog purely to get those links.

1. profile image0

It depends on what you mean by repeatedly. I try to do it carefully and watch for any changes in the rankings of targeted pages. I also weigh how much audience they deliver.

I agree it's not worthwhile to start a blog just to get links. My original post focused on starting a blog for the sake of pursuing a topic and using "only a few links" to connect the blog and HP.

4. globalfuture profile image37
    globalfutureposted 8 years ago

It's a great idea if you create your own blog, so you can create link for your article in hubpages, as long as your article as a similar topics as your post in your blog.

Have a great time.

@globalfuture, why do you say that?   It was a recommended strategy in 2010.   It's a waste of time now, as far as I am aware.   If you have recent information that indicates otherwise, I'd like to see it.

5. Dan W Miller profile image74
    Dan W Millerposted 8 years ago

You know what, Michal? I don't have time for a blog and it would be redundant. I have a big following in the social media.
    I post, comment, debate, advertise my hubs on facebook and Twitter. 4,000+ fb friends, 2,500 members in my secret fb group, 3,000+ followers @DanWMiller and 2,500 @VanillaGZilla plus Google+, Pinterest.
    In my case, why in the world would I need a blog? But for you, it might be advantageous.

6. MichalWrotter profile image61
    MichalWrotterposted 8 years ago

Hello Dan, wooow! You killed me with you number of friends and followers. Congratzz to you. I have facebook, and pinterest but pinterest I am still learning to figure out.

1. Dan W Miller profile image74
      Dan W Millerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, MW. It just kind of happened about two months after I checked on in August 2009. So there is my hub advertising link. Although asking facebook people to read more than a sentence is like asking a goldfish to pay attention and focus longer than six seconds.

7. bizgrrl profile image62
    bizgrrlposted 8 years ago

Creating a blog to obtain backlinks to HubPages is perhaps outdated, but having a blog with a strong title to rank well in Google is the better aim.

1. ChristinS profile image38
      ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This.  I have several sites outside of HP, some coincide with my hub topics and I cross link, but mostly I do niche sites because I get better income from them and have complete freedom with the content etc.  I think doing both is ideal.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)