Overly promotional?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (20 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years ago

Wouldn't a hubber who seems to write exclusively on product reviews, which they openly state they got for free or at a reduced price simply for the purpose of writing review, be considered as "overly promotional," as that is all the hub seems to be doing, is promoting a product under the guise of a review?

Perhaps I am mistaken in my understanding of this rule, but I have seen several such hubs of late, and it got me to wondering.

Thanks for any clarification.

1. bravewarrior profile image88
      bravewarriorposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure, Liz. I've written a couple of product reviews based on personal experience. Of course, that's not all I post, so I guess that's why they wouldn't be considered overly promotional.

Here's a blog post I found concerning product reviews. However, it doesn't mention anything about Hubbers who only post product reviews. Hopefully, someone from admin will come in and set us straight.

http://blog.hubpages.com/2012/11/13/pro … view-tips/

2. Dressage Husband profile image68
    Dressage Husbandposted 8 years ago

Absolutely, report them as such.

3. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 8 years ago

I'm sitting here scratching my head about how this person gets free stuff to review just by saying they have a Hubpages account. Heck, I can't even do that on my website half the time!

4. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 8 years ago

Wrylit:  Search how to become a product tester. I checked into it a few years ago and didn't bother with it. Personally, I would  not trust anyone who writes a product review that they are being paid for.  You can try writing to major manufacturers and ask if they offer samples, free products that you can write reviews on.   

The reviews we see on Amazon, in a lot of cases are written by those paid to do so.

As far as the person who is writing reviews, and then discloses that they are being paid to do so, etc, are probably required to add this disclosure just like we are required to disclose we earn from ads, earn from Amazon etc.

5. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

I don't see the problem.  A product review is a product review.  They based it on a free sample and disclosed this as FTC regulation require.

Product reviews are a permitted topic for hubs. They just have to be based on genuine direct experience with the product.

6. LindaSmith1 profile image60

Exactly psycheskinner.   The issue is, that this hubber has a chance of making some sales that others are not making.  There is enough junk, copied content on here to keep people busy reporting rather than report someone who might earn a buck!

7. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

Yes MsLizzy, you are misunderstanding the rule.
    The overly promotional rule just refers to promoting other sites or affiliate links. There is no rule against product reviews.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
      DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Okay, thanks Marisa.

2. Venkatachari M profile image82
      Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

But, Marisa, I think product reviews should contain both benefits and drawbacks of that product. If one simply glorifies it's plus points only, it should be treated as overly promotional.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I can imagine someone writing a genuine review of a product they really love, where very few drawbacks would be mentioned.

1. Venkatachari M profile image82
          Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the reply.
          I hope it will be very few, at least one uncomfortable point. To make it a perfect review.

8. KatyWhoWaited profile image82
    KatyWhoWaitedposted 8 years ago

I understand.  HOWEVER, my website IS my product.  My husband and I started off in 1997 on the web creating educational software and free online games for students of all ages. It frustrates me that I can't promote it here on hubpages. I don't think I could ask someone to do a "product review" of my website!   I can promote my business on my blog, but I don't get traffic there.The rule seems silly to me, misguided and a form of discrimination.  I realize that I can add two links if it's pertinent to the topic of my hub, but that just isn't enough. However,  I know, IT'S THE RULE.  That doesn't make it seem any less frustrating.

9. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 8 years ago

I am wondering if the reviews are all 100% positive. I would have less of a problem with somebody who does reviews of free products (different from getting paid to write reviews) if they have some critical reviews.

I'm thinking that, just because I got a product for free would not mean I couldn't give an honest review of it.

10. aminebombom profile image73
    aminebombomposted 8 years ago

if you write insightful and be able to let your readers know that, that products has pros and cons, so what's wrong, you stick with at least 200 original and insightful words, then it's okay.
    and one thing I want to make clear in Hubpages community, don't judge other people's work and say go report go report, you want to easily go report your brother or sister, if anybody is consern he or she should go to that person and send him and email letting him know, and for record, no hub can be published if it is overly promotional, I tried it once without any intention, maybe it was a bit promotional but never over promotional, and HP admins wouldn't let it be published, and they send me an email saying that it looks spammy, so put your trust in HP admins.

11. Esperanta profile image74
    Esperantaposted 8 years ago

I own many items that have made me extremely happy with their performance, and which have no negative points whatsoever as far as I am concerned. Why should I lie and make criticisms that do not apply?

1. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I don't think that is the implication.  But a critical approach will at least suggest things like: why this is perfect for my purposes but would be less ideal for other types of customer, or how I use this product in a certain way to avoid any possible downsides and you can to.

A review that does not touch on even the possibility of any non-bliss reaction is typically not helping match the reader to what will help them the most, whether it is this product or not.  And that is what a review is meant to do for the reader/consumer.

2. bravewarrior profile image88
      bravewarriorposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, Esperanta. I've written a couple of reviews because the products really impressed me and solved my problem. I saw no negatives, therefore didn't fabricate any. Reviews should be honest and if the product has no downsides for the reviewer why make something up?

1. psycheskinner profile image82
        psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

As I said, because your specific problems are not universal and you are writing for a general audience of people trying to making a purchasing decision.  The perfect breakfast cereal for a super-athlete versus and office worker = not the same.

12. LindaSmith1 profile image60

I do product reviews a lot.  Whether I love the product or not, I always search to see what users don't like which could be the color of actual product vs color seen in a photo.  I have included negatives along with my rebuttal to those negatives if I can do so.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)