Did someone make a blog page just to post my article? Link inside.

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (35 posts)
  1. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 8 years ago

So this morning I had a spike in traffic on a hub. I looked to see where it is coming from and it shows http://takecaretc.blogspot.com/. I didn't make this. It doesn't appear to have any other articles yet. Not sure if I should be thankful or cautious. What do you think? Should I ask it be removed, or leave it alone?

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

With the post being only one day old, it is rather amazing that you are getting a spike in traffic already. I'd hold on. It looks like a brand new blog. I think more might be added later. I would count it a blessing since they haven't copied anything but just shared a link.

1. Kylyssa profile image90
        Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

In fact, it's almost the perfect way for a blogger to share a link, aside from in an original blog post that links to the hub in a sentence.

2. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I would contact the author and tell them that they should ask permission before using other people's material.  I am having this problem with photos.  People think that if they provide a link back to my website, it's okay to use my photos.  It's not.  My website and photos (and hubs and photos) are copyrighted so they can only use them with my permission.

This would be an awful idea in this case. It's just a tiny thumbnail and a backlink without even any quoted text. It would be like taking down a free ad while irritating the person who liked your work so much they made it.

If you hunt up and shut down everyone who sends readers your way, you're shooting yourself in the foot. Full on copying or using full-sized photos is plagiarism, but this is just a thumbnail with a link, the ideal way I hope my readers share my work.

1. relache profile image72
          relacheposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Kylyssa can tell you it's a bad idea to defend your photo copyrights, but I personally don't agree with her.

You seriously think it's a good idea to track down people who post a thumbnail and a link to your site? An inch-wide representation of your image that links to your page really isn't the same thing as stealing photos.

Or are other people seeing something different on that blog post than I am? I see a square about an inch wide on my monitor that is cropped out of the center of the image. What do you see there?

A thumbnail isn't plagiarism; it's advertisement.

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12554579_f1024.jpg

^You'd seriously file a DMCA notice for something like that?^

2. Billie Kelpin profile image86
          Billie Kelpinposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Exactly, Kylyssa!

3. Kylyssa profile image90

Leave it alone, perhaps thank them for sharing.

There's nothing harmful there, just a backlink. Someone was impressed with the article enough to wish to share it. As to it being the first and only post, people have to start somewhere. Also, there are a lot of blogs out there where people start something and never keep it up.

1. Billie Kelpin profile image86

Totally agree, Kylyssa.  This blog is called "Take Care".  This person is providing valuable information for his or her readers in a blog that is probably meant to help people.  It links directly to you, benefits you, and is flattering.  I'd LOVE it if someone wants to link to one of my hub articles in that way.  This person doesn't even have advertising on the blog.  However, if she did, that STILL doesn't harm anything for you.  The lesson I've learned here, and I think I do try to do this, is to write a little sentence with the reference and get the author's name and website out there for any article I might link to.  I'd write a little "thank you note" to this person, ask the direction of the blog,  and offer any other articles you have written that might enhance her site.  Cheers,  Billie

4. bravewarrior profile image88
      bravewarriorposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Peeples, something is weird about that site. Although it looks like there's only a link to your post, check again. When I clicked on the title at the top (not the link, but the title over the thumbnail) a strip appeared at the top of the page that gives you the option of clicking on More or Next Blog. When I clicked on Next Blog it took me to a completely different web page. Hit the back arrow and click on it again and you get a totally different web page! This happens each and every time.

I don't know what the deal is. I've never seen anything like it. Something seems fishy to me - very fishy!

1. SheilaMilne profile image93
        SheilaMilneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It isn't fishy. Most blogspot blogs do that, including my own.

1. bravewarrior profile image88

They go to other people's sites? Why?

Just so that people can go blog hopping and find a random blog. Why not?

It just seems weird to me. I haven't seen that in any of the other sites I visit. Seems like a sneaky way of getting page views.

There are millions upon millions of blogspot blogs.  The "Next blog" is always random so there is no way to engineer extra page views, and anyway, it's only once.  As you said yourself, if you click  Next again, you get a different blog.

It's just a way Google is trying to keep traffic on Google sites longer. I think it should indicate it's random, but that's on the ISP, not on the blogger.

That doesn't seem to be fair practice on Google's part.

2. Kylyssa profile image90

All blogspot blogs have that "next blog" button at the top. Clicking the title of the post takes you to the individual post URL. The post shows on the main blog URL because there's nothing else on the blog yet.

It's a sneaky way of Google getting people to click on Google products (another blogger or blogspot blog) is all, nothing nefarious an individual blogger is doing.

2. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 8 years ago

Thanks y'all. I'm glad it's being shared. The increase in traffic was nothing huge, just enough to give me an up arrow on stats page. Any increase is good though. Thankful they shared, I guess my articles have been copied so much that I get nervous.

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The weird thing is the page links to your hub using a HP tracking code; maybe the creator of the blog has an account here and is using a strange new method to earn with the referral program -- creation of lots of one-post blogs, lol.

peeplesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm, I didn't even notice that. I wonder if that in any way impacts my earnings? I guess not as long as they don't sign up. That makes it even more odd. I need to follow the blog so I can see if they post more articles.

1. profile image0
          calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It only affects the earnings if the tracking code is yours (which you can check in your account).  The code is _9m4pn9zwmbp1.

Not mine! Thanks!

1. Solaras profile image96
              Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If they used YOUR tracking code, you would earn money from it (these additional earnings to you would come from HP's share of your revenue). Using their own tracking code, they earn money from it.  That money does not come out of your earnings, but out of HP's share of your earnings.

Had they signed up for HP under your account referral (don't know the actual term) you would earn money from them forever on all of their HP posts, unless they were to grow irritated with you, and create a new HP account to prevent you from earning from their efforts. I think it all adds up to pennies though.

3. Billie Kelpin profile image86
    Billie Kelpinposted 8 years ago

ANY visits to your hubpage benefits you.  The ads you're running on those pages are seen by the people who read your article.  That's what an advertiser hopes for!   The tracking to THOSE ads on hubpages is to your account.  Really, this is only a good thing.  I'd be happy if my article appeared somewhere else.  If this blog continues to post meaningful articles, it's great for you because people will be scrolling back to yours for all time - It's evergreen - especially if that blog becomes an important, popular source of information. If it doesn't, no harm done. If you check your google adsense resports, you'll probably see an increase by a few cents already.

oops, just noticed, you don't HAVE google ads on that page.

2. peeples profile image93

Hp and google don't like the keywords, but that's ok because the article is more important than the ads. However people visiting it might click on more from the author so not too bad I guess!

Peeples, we have had a software company providing online learning games on the web for over 25 years. This is nothing but good for you. Whether you're interested in making money or not, more visitors, the better.  You're writing is impactful and important. (Side note not related to topic: When I was your age, I wish I had accumulated all the money I could have while keeping my altruistic ideals.  It's possible.  So what I'm saying, is don't worry if a little money trickles your way on this, even try to make the most you can because there is nothing wrong with people appreciating your work through clicking on ads that might actually benefit them.   As you know from my postings, I live my life by feeling that 'the main purpose of my existence is that I  might serve as a warning to others'. )  I'm happy you posted this question and I think I"m going to check on hubs that would be pertinent to my bizblog and ask the writer if I could link back to them on hubpages.  That way we both benefit.  Cheerio, kiddo.

Thanks. I agree. I just had a couple of my hubs stolen repeatedly so my first reaction was worry! I agree, as long as people are clicking on it I guess that is all that matters!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)