WTH Happened to the front page/new feed???

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (35 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years ago

I was online this morning, and everything looked normal.

I signed back in this afternoon, and it's all changed!  Everything is in a boring, straight-down-the-page list format, with NO link to see about HOTD choices, no "status" box; no feeds on who commented on a hub, HP blog/learning center posts mixed up with everything else...etc..  It's a mixed-up boring-looking mess!

I don't know who designed this new layout, but I truly hope it is temporary:  I hate it!

1. profile image0
      TheBizWhizposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes! And mine is full of poetry. Don't get me wrong, I like a limerick or two, but come on.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have the same problem and just emailed Team Support. I cannot get to the NewsFeed page. When I click on HubPages on top left it takes me to the list of hubs: HubPages All Topics.

Very frustrating!!!

3. ezhang profile image80
      ezhangposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi DzyMsLizzy,

You can find a link to the feed in the drop down under the "explore" navigation section at the top of the page. I hope that helps!

DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ok, thanks..but why???  Why make us have to click on something to get our feed back?
        IMO, that came under "if it ain't broke; don't fix it!"

1. brakel2 profile image74
          brakel2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

It is terrible to suddenly have surprises when you have other things going on in your life like we all do.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image93

ezhang - Rather than causing a LOT of confusion and frustration WHY were we not informed this change was coming?

This is a very rude and unprofessional way to make a change. If we had known before it happened, before you played around with a new idea that must have been fun for you, I would not have to get upset, think something is wrong with my computer, thinking my computer had a virus, sign off, sign back on, look in Help, check FAQ for answers,  sign off/on again, pull my hair out, have another un-needed cup of coffee to take a needed break with then try again only to be further frustrated and getting angry!!!!

PLEASE - when major changes are made INFORM US BEFORE IT IS POPPED IN.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93

I even had to run a virus check to see if I had a bug in my computer.

You may be ez hanging - but it was not fun or productive for us.

3. profile image0
        TheBizWhizposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This new homepage stinks. I liked to log in and immediately have my own personalized feed. Not log in, see stuff I don't want, then click to where I was wanting to go in the first place.

Can we please go back to the way is was before?

I agree and believe that the feed should go back to its prominent usual position. If some spammy hubs are among the good ones on that page, we don't want them to be there. Please, staff, help us. You have done a great job setting up the feed and should be proud of that page.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

I SO agree!!!  Please put it back!

4. Jason Marovich profile image88
      Jason Marovichposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm.  It's interesting.  The format reminds me of Reddit, a little.  I think there's potential for an internal traffic boost.  Maybe we ought to see where it goes.

2. thumbi7 profile image59
    thumbi7posted 8 years ago

I miss the good old 'hubpages feed'

3. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 8 years ago

I'm see ing the same thing, now on my desktop-- though my iPad was normal. WHY?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Now it is back to usual. It was kind of nice to see other stuff for a while,

Not 'back to usual' here.  Still have to use the danged menu drop-down to get things to appear as they used to!

Right MsLizzy - it is not back to normal.

4. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 8 years ago

Hi, really it is very unpleasant. When you click the Hubpages logo on left, it is a very boring page with a long list of topics and nothing else. Who will like this design of our lovely site now?
    I have to now click the explore "feed" button to see my original nice page that I like so much. We poor hubbers!!!

Yes, poor poor hubbers. They keep changing the way we like it best.

5. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

It looks like we now have to go to "explore" and select "feed" to see our feed.

I think the new front page is a way to entice Hubbers to read more Hubs.  As others have said, it's a pity they couldn't announce it first before it was launched.

You are right, Marisa. I finally found information about this change hidden in the blog:

http://blog.hubpages.com/2015/08/06/the … -redesign/

Since the title does not reflect the feed page and the feed page is no longer the front page I did not see the blog till just a short while ago - and that was only because I was curious what the new design looked like.

I like the new design and find it much easier to research hubs. And, it is placed on the front page to, as you say, "entice Hubbers to read more Hubs".  I just wish they had informed us before the change in the forums.

6. word55 profile image70
    word55posted 8 years ago

Yes, we must click at top left on explore> and feed in order for it to revert to the page we are used to seeing.

7. TedWritesStuff profile image68
    TedWritesStuffposted 8 years ago

Actually what it has highlighted to me is the number of low quality, spammy hubs that exist. Scroll down the page and click on a few with dubious intro's. All were low quality, spam.....sigh

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I noticed a lot of spam too.

1. Buildreps profile image85
        Buildrepsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's certainly true. Tons of poor Hubs. It has some similarities with Bubblews, maybe that's why Google started to dislike HP...

2. sockii profile image69
      sockiiposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Bingo.

I should think that the front page of a site like HubPages should feature an assortment of some of the newest AND best hubs on the site. As it is now, if someone were to randomly land on the front page right now, one could easily come away with the impression that the site is nothing but spam content, broken English, random Q&As and not curated at all.

1. Kylyssa profile image91
        Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Brand new hubs are the last thing you want a brand new visitor to HubPages to see.

8. Buildreps profile image85
    Buildrepsposted 8 years ago

That's a great improvement! It's now much easier to look for new interesting Hubs to read and Hubbers to follow.

And why do all change have to be introduced before implemented? Just explore some of the buttons and you'll find out how to get around again.

I noticed that the stat's are updated more frequently. And that's an improvement as well!

Many people spent time trying to figure it out, thought they had a virus, said they tore their hair out. You are fortunate that you figure innovations out quickly. Oh well, everyone survived.

2. Molly Layton profile image73
      Molly Laytonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

For you, it works, but some the hubs I've been getting with the new layout make me uncomfortable. The layout feels squished to the left side of the screen.

9. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 8 years ago

http://blog.hubpages.com/2015/08/06/the … -redesign/

Understanding the why of it all helps greatly, but experience will be the telling factor.

1. erinshelby profile image70
      erinshelbyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

And why the format after I've logged in has changed too... instead of seeing my hubs and the dates I created them, it's ordered based on popularity... and it doesn't show me which ones are featured or unfeatured (some have been unfeatured recently due to traffic/quality, still trying to figure out that puzzle)

10. firstcookbooklady profile image83
    firstcookbookladyposted 8 years ago

it's not difficult to hit the explore drop down and select feed. Then, it's back, like what we call normal. I do like reading the feed, myself, so I do understand your comment...

No, it is not difficult, but it is an extra step, and ATM, my mouse is acting up, with no budget to replace it, so the less clicking around I have to do, the better.

11. firstcookbooklady profile image83
    firstcookbookladyposted 8 years ago

I'm sorry if I made anyone feel extra tired and harassed. I have an idea. I added /feed to my shortcut on my desktop icon and it comes right to my feed. It was only to hubpages.com before. Changing it to hubpages.com/feed makes it come to the feed page. You right click on your icon, select properties, add feed and select apply. That's what worked for me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)