Okay--what gives with the ads?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years ago

I was under the impression that the ads placed on our pages would be triggered by some word, phrase or reference within the article.

So, I am left wondering, WTH does an ad for "Glad Press and Seal" food wrap have to do with my article about the Black Diamond Mines Regional Park???????????????????????????????

I could understand an ad for hiking boots; for hard hats for the mine tour; for dog leashes, even, but glad wrap?? Come on!
    (And besides--that product is easily found in the grocery store--probably not something anyone is going to buy online.)

This is but a single glaring example of the many, many, highly irrelevant ads I've seen placed.  Another touts a supposed remedy for sagging skin on an article having nothing whatsoever to do with personal care.

1. Molly Layton profile image73
      Molly Laytonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Some advertisements for general consumer products can be placed on any Hub. Advertisements for the one weird trick you need to lose weight or save electricity or whatever get splattered wherever too. Google ads might be a bit more relevant, but I'm honestly not sure what algorithms the advertisers use for placement. All I can say is that it's not Hubpage's fault.

DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I'm not thinking it's HP's fault--more likely Google's.  I just think it's crazy!

2. moonlake profile image82
      moonlakeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Your lucky for that much I have no ads on my hubs.

1. SheilaMilne profile image92
        SheilaMilneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I see ads on your hubs. Have you installed an ad blocker?

2. quicksand profile image82
    quicksandposted 8 years ago

Google ads that appear on HubPages or anywhere else is based on the viewer's browsing habits. If I view an article of yours I will see ads on it that are related to what I have been searching for in the recent past. Somebody else reading the same article will not see the same ads that your article presents to me. Just to make certain what I am saying is still right, I launched your page entitled "Hoover Steam ... " and all I see are ads on t-shirts, dark glasses and watches that a local e-commerce site is vending. That's because I purchased some stuff online recently from that e-commerce merchant, and while searching for what I needed to buy, my interest also involved the other items I have mentioned.

1. ChristinS profile image40
      ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

^^ This.  I see ads for things I've recently browsed on Amazon and other sites when I have ads enabled.

I've heard this explanation before, but it doesn't "fit."  I've never browsed for any of the things that show up on my hubs!!

I'm 67.  I don't care.  I don't search for solutions to 'saggy skin.'

I buy my food storage supplies at the grocery store; I don't shop online, so I've never browsed for that, etc...I could go on, but the explanation just doesn't make sense to me, because that's not what I'm seeing.   

I'm not being shown ads for anything in which I have any remote interest, including no ads for things I HAVE browsed for on Amazon, in searching for items for my (relatively few) Amazon capsules.

And, since we're not allowed to click ads on our own pages, it's all irrelevant, anyway; even if I did see an ad for something in which I was interested.

(Fact of the matter is, I do precious little shopping online for anything--largely because there is no extra money to do so, but also because we got rid of credit cards, and I only have PayPal to use, and a great many shopping sites only accept credit cards and not PP.)

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
          Patty Inglish, MSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Maybe a coincidence, but It sounds like those ads target the people that most often access HP, according to Quantcast: women ages 18 - 34.  Ads on my own Hubs show me about half maybe-targeting those women and half reflecting my own recent searches. I'm surprised how many 20-somethings in my city buy anti-wrinkle and weight loss stuff, look into products for sagging skin, and buy the Glad Wrap you mention. Just a thought.

That makes a lot more sense, Patty.  Thanks for mentioning that possibility.  Ah, this shallow "eternal youth" culture in which we live...

And people not realizing that in most cases, buying things online costs more, because you have to add shipping costs onto the base price of the item.  (Some offer free shipping, but it's not all that common..and for many of those, you have to spend a pretty fair chunk of change to qualify for that perk.)

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
          Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ah, but you are 67 and if Google knows that (which it probably does) then it figures you MAY want products for saggy skin.  You might be surprised how much information Google has on you, and they use all of it to work out what ads to show.

As others have said, if they can't find ads specifically for you then they'll show something else - which may be a bit random, or it may relate to the keywords in your Hub.  Which is why you get ads for insurance on a Hub about insurance.  The robots can't read context so they don't care that you're writing something negative about insurance.

3. ThoughtsWriter profile image66
    ThoughtsWriterposted 8 years ago

Even though you've never searched for those things, those advertisers are still targeting you. Based on your habits or other data that is easily accessible, they know your age, relative income, geographic location and gender. As such, there are people who are marketing to you (or people like you).

It's like TV commercials. During the day on HGTV, there will be ads targeted to stay at home moms. Despite never having "searched" for the mop/food/cosmetic supply, those advertisers are still trying to reach you.

In addition, there simple aren't enough people selling hard hats and hiking boots advertising space. Rather, the general things have much larger marketing budgets. As such, it's much more likely that those things will show up.

4. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 8 years ago

Sometimes the ads offer a touch of humor, presumably since they are selected by humorless robots.
    I have a tongue-in-cheek hub about needing more hub accolades in which I described the symbols as being encircled with a wreath. I got ads at the top for holiday and Christmas wreaths. Quite festive looking... even though it wasn't Christmas.
    I also have a hub about power outages that advertised electrical appliances.  If your power is out, you are not looking for things you need to plug in.

That is true to some extent.  I have also noticed things contrary to what the hub is about.  For example, in my series on corporate greed, I was criticizing certain industries, and not recommending them--yet what shows up as ads on those pieces are for exactly the types of companies  I was against!  Such as ads for insurance companies on my article describing the scam that is most insurance...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)