Profile page thumbnail photos

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (23 posts)
  1. CatherineGiordano profile image78
    CatherineGiordanoposted 8 years ago

I spend endless hours maybe two months ago redesigning my first photo so they would look good on the thumbnails on the profile pages and also on facebook. The latest change has made all that work a waste.

A few of the thumbnails look better, but most now look off-kilter and have the text cut off.

I can't go back and fix them all again. I'm just going to have crappy looking thumbnail pictures. It's enough to make me cry. or quit.

Anyone else have a problem with this.

CatherineGiordanoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I just checked the thumbnails at the bottom of the page. The recommended hubs. Those still look the way I set them up to look.

Can we get the profile page pictures to capture the center of the picture. Right now it seems to start at the left edge and cut off the stuff on the right. Most of my pictures now look terrible.

I designed all my pictures to have things look good when the center was captured.

2. janderson99 profile image54
      janderson99posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree that this is bad. I am sure there is a simple fix, but unsure whether HP will do it.

3. CatherineGiordano profile image78

The related hubs on the right side of the page look OK too. it is just the proflle pages that look like the pictures wee done by a bling person.

I t should be hard to just set the programming to capture the center of the picture. I set my pictures us so they would look good when the center of the picture was captured. It's tricky sometimes to get it to work for both HP and fb, now I have to get it to look good for three formats. It's too much. Now every time I look at the profile page, I feel sick because it looks so terrible.

1. janderson99 profile image54
        janderson99posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately it also applies to the topic pages and the new 'home page'. Obviously not enough care and thought was applied before these changes were implemented. Bad for folks who add text for Pinterest.

2. CatherineGiordano profile image78

When I am tired and upset, I make more typo errors. I meant to say it should not be hard to pick up the center of the image for theumbnails. This is more important than ever now that there is a clickable topic next to each hub. A quick check showed that many of my hubs are in the top 10 for recent, hot, and best. This would be great if the picture was being shown as it was designed to be shown. The way it is now, it looks like it was done by a 1st grader. The pictures were made larger, I assume, to attract more traffic. A lopsided image is not going to do that. Someone please tell me that this is going to be fixed.

4. bravewarrior profile image86
      bravewarriorposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I see what you mean. Many of my photos on the profile page are leaning to the right. What's up with that?

5. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I just checked and I agree - the images all look like crap now from the profile page and there was no warning of the changes here either.  Frustrating HP!

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years ago

I have not noticed that particular issue, but from what others have said, it should be a simple fix.

Heck, even Face Book has a 'crop' utility that lets you center the part of the photo you want to feature!

What crop utility? Face book is maddening. .

1. EdTecher profile image88
        EdTecherposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The utility is used to update your Facebook profile pic.  If you scroll over your profile picture in FB, you will see the option to "Update Profile Picture".  When you click on it, you can select an image you already have or upload a new one.  A square outline appears on the selected image that you drag to reposition for the portion of the photo you want to use for your profile pic.  A similar utility for HP thumbnails would be very useful.

My profile is fine on fb. The problem is with the images fb selects to use and how it shows them. It works pretty well with HP. It is my Blogspot posts where it goes crazy. Selects a picture from the sidebar, selects no picture, makes the picture rectangular, makes it square. I think original post uses rectangular (but not always) and comments uses square so I make sure the first image of the hub looks good both ways.

3. EdTecher profile image88
    EdTecherposted 8 years ago

I agree that a FB-like tool to allow you to select the part of the image to be centered in the thumbnail would help.  Most of my thumbnails look OK, but that's because most of my intro images are square.

4. profile image61
    DJ Andersonposted 8 years ago

Catherine, I think your photo looks splendid!  Why all the fuss?
    Get those priorities in order.  We are writers, not models and
    most are not photographers.

If you continue to have photo problems, I will allow you to use
    my avatar.  LOL

We love you, no matter what your photo looks like!!

DJ.

1. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

She's not talking about her profile picture  - she's referring to the article thumbnails listed on the profile page.

Thank you Christin S. for explaining what the problem is. I have spent 2 hours and more on a single picture to get it to look just right in the thumbnails so a person who sees the thumbnail will know immediately  what the hub is about and so the image will look inviting.  I went and updated dozens of pictures to get them to look right. I can't be the only one who designs their images to look good in a thumbnail.  All my work is now wasted; many of the pictures now look as if I was drunk when I did them. Doesn't HP test anything before they go changing in like a bull in a china shop with their latest ideas to please the google gods?  I am a market researcher by profession. I'd be glad to offer my services.  I am tired of having to adjust to a major overall every 2 or 3 months. I'm not changing them again only to have my work ruined again  2 months from now when they do the next overall.

1. sallybea profile image95
          sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

My pictures on the profile page look pretty grim too but guess I will just leave it up to those who made them look like that in the first place to alter.  Perhaps we should point out to staff that there is a problem which needs fixing.

Looks like we were heard. It is fixed. It's a good thing I didn't waste my time trying to redo my pictures.

5. the rawspirit profile image79
    the rawspiritposted 8 years ago

Wow... Thanks for the heads-up. Hope we can come up with a good solution.

6. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 8 years ago

Probably about six years ago now, a site-wide change messed up all the time and effort I'd put into titles and how they aligned on a few hundred Hubs.  Essentially any time HubPages changes their design, there are dozens of people who will find it messes up something they've done on their Hubs.

Admin doesn't care about your graphic design issues, they didn't back then, and they don't now.

7. Kylyssa profile image90
    Kylyssaposted 8 years ago

I have to laugh because the only thumbnails that look good on my profile are the ones I haven't bothered to change from the old Squidoo preferred format of small square images to something more current.

I'm sorry to hear your pictures are still messed up.  I was feeling like the team at HP heard us few who had a problem with the pictures after the latest overhaul. I put a lot of work into getting the main elements of the pictures centered, and now mine images look right again. I used the tiral and error method because I don't know of any better way to do it and I redid my pictures 2, 3, or more times until they were just right.

1. sallybea profile image95
        sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The images are not right, many of them are still too big for the area in which they were placed, even those on the related images are too big to fit correctly, at least that is what I found when I was going through my pages.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)