I'd like feedback on my Hub: Glow In The Dark Wood - Make an Awesome..

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Audrey Wright profile image59
    Audrey Wrightposted 8 years ago

I have a hard time reaching above 75 points on my QAP assessment.

I have no idea what else to do. I made sure my text is correct, stylized and broken into digestible chunks, bold only on important phrases, headings, sub-headings and other formatting techniques used.

Since I had a lot of images, I made collages to compress height and reduce scrolling but keep the visuals in.

I revisited all my links, etc. The only link I find questionable is the credit link on the bottom, but I find it unfair to not be able to credit myself (and my company subsequently) after my hard work on the piece.

Link is here: http://audreywright.hubpages.com/hub/Gl … -Dark-Wood

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Fascinating hub. Love photos and the end result.

I would hyphenate all occurrences of glow-in-the-dark.

Your intro could do with a little work, I think. Explain what exactly glow-in-the-dark wood is -- I had no idea -- and in what kind of projects it might be used. This is a big project so I would talk a bit about the fact you'd need a good bit of space in which to work; what protective procedures you need to take, such as clothing, goggles or a well-ventilated space.

What is TL;DR:?

You have too much emboldening going on - it can make an article look a bit spammy.

Check your typing - there are a few errors - "Wood caving" in the poll, and I saw a few others that I can't find now :-/

Don't really see the point of those city skylines

Tidy it up and it'll be a great article. I predict Hub of the Day

2. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 8 years ago

Too many unrelated links and too product heavy, I'm guessing.

If you email admin, they will tell you the exact problem from their end.

3. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 8 years ago

Your hub is featured -- that is what really matters. HP needs to do away with the number scores, as they are misleading and confusing to newcomers who haven't yet learned to ignore them. Scores are not a reliable reflection of the quality of your article or your writing. Scores fluctuate daily and are assigned by a mysterious algo which no one really knows exactly how it works or 100% what it takes into consideration. Here's what HP allows us to know about hub scores:

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/hubs … d_13970187

4. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 8 years ago

Rut rohhh... my mistake. I see that your article is actually NOT featured. Follow the advice given from others, above, but do try not to worry about the number -- just get it featured. After seeing some of what has been featured lately (the hubs from the author of this thread comes to mind: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/132597) I am surprised yours has not passed QAP.

5. Audrey Wright profile image59

Thanks guys, I reviewed and edited again. Hopefully this time it passes. My worry wasn't with the score itself, but the fact it doesn't pass the QAP and I can't get it live.
    If this time it bounces, I guess I'll be contacting the admins, or just taking my content elsewhere.
    However, I'd really like it if when hubs bounce, there is real, actual feedback about what is particularly wrong, rather than a bunch of links to guideline pages.
    We'll see. Thanks again !

6. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 8 years ago

The unrelated advertising spam for your Aussie Tenants company is probably a major factor in stopping this hub from being featured. It might only be one link, but it could well be seen as making the hub over-promotional because it is not related to the topic covered.

Oh yes... get rid of that! Was it there previously, I don't remember seeing it? Hubs are not about driving traffic to your business.

7. Audrey Wright profile image59

Oh, you mean the "unrelated advertising spam" that's clearly described as credits, AFTER the entire hub has been read and no more useful value can be extracted ?

Publishers are getting seriously unfair about links. I don't care about earning from Amazon affiliate schemes, I don't care I'm giving away a few  hundred pounds worth of content, I care about my link. Why can't I just get one link for all I'm contributing ?

I also didn't bother to hide it within a dodgy anchor in a confusing place. Maybe I should have. I guess I'll just take my content elsewhere.

Thank you for your help.

It's because the whole site would suffer Google-searchwise if everyone included *unrelated links*. Had your business been about woodworking, then you might have got away with it. I'm afraid we all have to abide by the rules and guidelines. I used to get mad because I couldn't link to my articles on another site but we just have to accept it. I don't even link to my own blog on my tarot hubs. You can add a link to your website in your profile.

You are not 'giving away a few hundred pounds of content' - sorry but the information you shared is freely available on Instructibles by one of the people you mention in your article. You have simply rewritten and presented it in a different way. If you were to try to sell the article to any content farm, you would not get more than a few $$s. I'm not being mean, that's just how it is.

If you are at HP just to promote your business then this might not be the right place for you. You'd be better off building your own blog and then you can add as many links as you want to.

Audrey Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If I was trying to sell it, which I am not, all I have to do is just remake these photos using either a program like Photoshop, or a 3D modeling package like Maya. I'd easily sell it for a few hundred.

Everything is freely available somewhere on the web. But it's not freely available at your website. Which is not making HP any money.
        Unique images and unique (well written) text is well worth the prize, since there are hardly unique topics left in the world that are not publicly available somewhere on the Internet.

You, as a blogger and editor, should be well aware of that.

You say I'm here to promote my business? You're most correct on this one. I'm certainly not here to work for no merit.

And no, my link is not hurting HP in search engines. A rookie might take your word for it, but I've dealt with Google enough to know you're wrong.
        To say the least, if I hurt you in any way, I'd be hurting my website as well, and the hell would I be doing that ?

I believe in mutual usefulness, but if HP doesn't want to be useful to me, well, you got it already...

Hubpages is not a link farm, it's a publishing platform. Some people share their work because they just want to write, others create quality content in order to earn income.

Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Pinterest, personal and business blogs, etc. are all places for you to promote your business. HP is not one of those. If someone advised you that it is, then they are wrong.

You came here asking for help to get your hub through QAP; I'm sorry you don't like the help you were given but... there you go.

Good luck with selling your articles.

2. relache profile image73
          relacheposted 8 years agoin reply to this

HubPages has always penalized people for promoting their own businesses.  As a blogger and editor, surely you read the entire terms and site rules before you join a site and attempt to publish content.

Audrey Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

But I'm not even promoting it in any way. All I do is get my credits for providing this content to everyone for free.

It's not like im hustling anyone into clicking or even discussing this. All I do is get my link, what people normally do, when they publish something. It's even a no-followed link.

I don't get why this is a big deal. I'm not spamming. I'm not tricking your users. I'm not stealing your link juice. I'm just getting my credit.

P.S. It's not like I'm expecting you to change your platform's policies, it's just strange and illogical for you to make a matter out of this and prevent good content from being published over a no-followed link.

HubPages is not our site. Why should you get special treatment? HP allows you to share their site for free, use their bandwidth, engage with other hubbers, promote your work, use their tech services and even earn money. We are happy with that so we try to follow the T&Cs.

Your article was okay. It was interesting but it's not great. There are a huge number of great articles on HP. If you think you can sell it elsewhere then you should do that. I can guarantee that no-one will publish it, pay you hundreds and let you include the link. If you find somewhere like that then do let us know!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)