America IS in a moral decline , that's a given , What do you think..

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (40 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

What do you think it seriously means for the future of America .  Sensationalization BY the media  certainly plays a big part , yet the media just follows the social -cultural pattern of decline , will America survive , will this decline reverse  or simply re- cycle ?  Is it because of continuing cultural mixing ...ie the melting pot ?  Or is it simply a let -over part of the "great sixties " in America ?

1. rhamson profile image72
      rhamsonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Money is the central focus of our government, politics, industries and media. What moral compass does money have?

2. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Gee, that has been every generational cry since the 1920's, what else is new?

3. jacharless profile image75
      jacharlessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Since WW2 America has conquered the world. Above all nations, it has the largest military in nearly 190 countries, controls the global economy and ideology in most places, yet internally she is crumbling at a rapid pace. Like Rome, Spain and others before, she has entered into the download spiral. Given her current establishment, there is no possible rescue. Sadly, a large majority of the world is going down the rabbit hole with her....

4. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Is it a given? The information I can find indicates:

Crime rates have been going down for at least the last two decades: https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/c … 0tbl01.xls

Abortion is sometimes cited (rightly or wrongly) as an indicator of society's moral values. Since 1990 the abortion rate has steadily dropped (see historical data halfway down page).
      http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5713a1.htm

Likewise divorce rates have remained about the same since 1980: http://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/p70-125.pdf

While the amount of charitiable giving has steadily increased since 1971: http://nccs.urban.org/nccs/statistics/C … igures.cfm

And highschool dropout rates have declined steadily since 1990: https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=16

And ducational attainment in general has increased steadily since 1940: http://www.census.gov/prod/2012pubs/p20-566.pdf

So what key indicators are you using that suggest America is in "moral decline"?

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

Gun ownership and gun violence have been declining for decades, racial inequality while still around is has also declined for decades in terms of educational achievement and rates of imprisonment, people are allowed to pursue whatever faith or career they like without gender or race preventing them.  Discrimination has been made federally illegal and these laws are widely and actively enforced.

If this is moral decline, I want more of it.

3. claptona profile image67
    claptonaposted 8 years ago

As one of the founders said:
    "Our country was built for people with a moral and religious compass as to right and wrong. It's the only way the democracy can function"
    Since amerika has no moral compass  (everything is allowed - abortions, lying by our politicians, breaking the law by our biggest banks with no prosecution, homosexuality, forced robbery by our government, sexual deviance, and whatever else you want to put in here) amerika is doomed.
    We may have a great standard of living, but as a society, we are empty souls - walking zombies, going through the motions of living.
    We go sink to the levels of Sodom and Gomorrah.
    Any questions about what happened to those two cities?
    Have a great week!

1. Paul Wingert profile image59
      Paul Wingertposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'll tell you what happened to Sodom and Gomorrah, nothing! Because they never existed outside the Bible as with 99% of the characters. Homosexuality is one of our downfalls? That's about the stupidest thing I read all day.

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

So you think giving full human rights to homosexual people is a bad thing?

Clearly our ideas of morality are not the same.

1. claptona profile image67
      claptonaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Morals - of, relating to, or concerned with the principles or rules of right conduct or the distinction between right and wrong; ethical
      Government is the organization that said gays don't have the same rights as everyone else, not me.
      The government is the organization that decided that they shouldn't marry, and this has nothing to do with me.
      Simple solution to the problem was to go to the Bill of Rights - all men are created equal.
      But, the government, being set on controlling everything in everyones life, passes another bill that is left up to a government employees views. How convenient for the government and the sect they're working with.
      Now they can "enforce", at their choosing, of course, a law that didn't need to be there.
      If you have every major bank committing fraud, and not one bank executive goes to jail, the governments idea of right and wrong is off.
      When you have elected officials lie to get bills passed, something is with the citizens view of right and wrong.
      When you have to have the government tell you what to think, again, the government has NO right to do so. That's a right - government has no business trying to "educate" me. For them to do it is a "wrong"
      Think about what you asked, think about the definition of "morality" and then respond.
      Me disliking gays or blacks or lasagna has nothing to do with what's right or wrong.
      Amerika is doomed by the likes of yourself, who don't understand the responsibilities of a government and a citizen.
      To clue in, read the history behind the Bill of Rights and the Constitution.
      Cheers

"Those who seek absolute power, even though they seek it to do what they regard as good, are simply demanding the right to enforce their own version of heaven on earth. And let me remind you, they are the very ones who always create the most hellish tyrannies. Absolute power does corrupt, and those who seek it must be suspect and must be opposed. Their mistaken course stems from false notions of equality, ladies and gentlemen. Equality, rightly understood, as our founding fathers understood it, leads to liberty and to the emancipation of creative differences. Wrongly understood, as it has been so tragically in our time, it leads first to conformity and then to despotism" -- Barry Goldwater, 1964.

5. profile image0
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 8 years ago

I never give up on my dream of being once more able to at least visit my homeland. Things are in a sad state and I think that things could only improve if the US steps back in time. Giving people pride in their homeland again. In schools singing the Star Spangled Banner, America the Beautiful and addressing the flag every morning. I have a picture of me at a tender young age. I am standing atop of my parents bed in my PJs holding up a baby powder package. But to me I was imitating the Statue of Liberty you see the school instilled in me pride in my homeland. I don't think any child would even think to do what I did then. Who cares? and Who would explain even the meaning of the Statue of Liberty to them?

1. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Gypsy , come back to America  and be yourself ,  There is noting wrong in America that cannot be fixed , AND will be !    There is "always " that  selfish and self centered element that hates America from within , since the great sixties  and seventies , you know , that time of , let's make this all about  ME !    Welcome home my wandering friend !

Yeah, let's make it about the government, those wonderful, elected officials who think it's fine and dandy to invade every amerikans privacy.
        The government who's going to make you think the right way, or fine and jail you.
        A government that seeks out a guy who exposes the lies that the government tells. A traitor to the government, but an honest guy telling citizens to be aware of the government spying on all it's citizens.
        A president who lies to get a bill passed, and the people we elect to rescind that bill fall short of their promises.
        Yupper, amerika is hunky dorey.
        Screw the constitution, screw the bill of rights, let's all salute to the government   of amerika and sing the song written by a slave holder, the Star Spangled Banner!
        Rock on!

6. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

The mainstream media should have a moral obligation to report factual news.

Go ahead and do a search about the decline of "gun ownership". You will likely see reports of gun ownership on the decline on news sites.  But, it is a fact that gun ownership is on a rapid rise with new laws which permits people to carry and conceal guns.

* Report from the Crime Prevention Research Center
    http://crimepreventionresearchcenter.or … States.pdf

"Initially the increase in permits was relatively slow, growing from roughly about
    2.7 million permit holders in 1999 to 4.6 million eight years later in 2007. But the
    number of concealed handgun permits has exploded during the Obama
    presidency. For December 2011, the federal Government Accountability Office
    estimated that there were at least 8 million concealed handgun permits. By the
    June 2014, it had grown to well over 11.1 million.

To put this in perspective, during the eight years from 1999 to 2007, the number
    of permits increased by about 240,000 per year. During the next four years that
    figure surged to 844,000 net new permits per year. And from the end of 2011 to
    2014 the yearly increase had soared to 1,390,000 net new permits per year.

The rapid increase in concealed carry permits is mirrored by the rapid increase in
    gun sales. NICS background checks soared from 11.2 to 21.1 million between
    2007 and 2013. The sale of guns accelerated further over the last two years --
    averaging 14 million during 2008 to 2011 and over 20 million during 2012 and
    2013."

Why the media doesn't want people to know the truth, is beyond comprehension. They even create false polls that people believe.

If you have invested in gun manufactures' stocks, you are doing very well and so are the people who make and sell guns. Nothing wrong with that, I'm not against guns or ownership. But, I don't like it at all when people are not learning the truth from "the news". Something is really morally wrong with that.

Because the media is controlled by corporations that determine what you will hear.
      Orwell was right, just the year was off.

1. colorfulone profile image78
        colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"Orwell was right, just the year was off."

Tell me about that, it sounds interesting.

Read the book.
          If you don't know the book, it's entitled "1984"
          Cheers

Thank you!

7. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 8 years ago

America is not in moral decline.  I reject your premise.  A certain segment of every generation thinks America is in moral decline and they are always wrong.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/TWHOIowtzXA/maxresdefault.jpg

How about just evil, vile, foul, maleficent, nefarious, heinous all seem pretty good words for amerika these days,
      Has nothing to do with satan, everything to do with corruption, power and control.
      Cheers

8. colorfulone profile image78

Here's a whooper ...  Too funny!

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12579781.jpg

"It seems as if the Clinton campaign is a) not paying attention to the Republican presidential field b) Denies the diversity in the Republican presidential field c) is already running out of talking points.

During an interview on CNN yesterday, former Clinton adviser Richard Socarides made the claim that the GOP is "against anyone who isn't a white man."

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavli … n-n2034987

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"The issue the Republicans face is that .... every candidate seems to be against women, every candidate seems to be against everybody who's not a white man.  I mean, the Republican party has got this challenge in the primary."

The accurate quote has a different meaning, no?

Video here:  http://www.mediaite.com/tv/clinton-advi … white-man/

NO.

1. profile image0

So "seems to be" has the same meaning as "is."  Got it.  roll

2. Credence2 profile image78

Looking at the link the Panther provided, it seems that the quote came from a former Bill Clinton advisor? That is a bit different from her making that statement herself, YES?

Well, for so diverse a party, the idea does not seem to play itself out well at the ballot box.....

1. profile image0
            TheBizWhizposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Did she fire him? If not, that means she agrees.

1. Credence2 profile image78

BizWhiz, This gentlemen was BILL CLINTONs former White House Advisor, I don't see any relationship with Hillary Clinton see link below

got to give it to rightwinger when they try to stir the pot?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Socarides

1. profile image0
                TheBizWhizposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I was actually going to apologize for my assumption, but since you like to make sweeping generalizations, you don't deserve one. I don't reserve that right for hardliners.

1. Credence2 profile image78

Don't get touchy, I am not refering to you but the rightwing propaganda machine that created this deception. You don't have apologize to me, just recognise that you are in error and consider how you were misled and for what purpose. This is a hardline attack on Hillary Clinton, what other response is appropriate? I don't like GOP and hard line rightwingers and  will admit as much. I am open to being proved wrong with facts not propoganda, are you as open from your prospective. The angst held against them is justified in most circles. Just look at their hero, Donald Trump.

9. profile image0

I wonder if American voters will ever evolve above the childish  arrogance of recent electoral  process , the levels of maturity in our campaigns  are  comparable to  grade school  candidates for class officers . AND yet we as voters seem to fall right in line with the moron mentality .

Good Post!

I find that people who follow these idiots such as Trump and Clinton put the blinders on because of the catch phrasing and gut reactions they induce. The problem is that what can any one person do in response to the MASSIVE bureaucracy of government let alone the iron clad control the lobbies have over Congress? The system is rigged to fail yet the minions think a silver bullet such as a lone acting president can change it.

What have recent events shown us with regards to that? What progress has been made to shore up Social Security? What stability is there with regards to the economy? We hear everyday of the doom and gloom coming and the rich get richer. The ACA has still left 30 million uninsured. The list goes on and on yet people want the quick fix, the American dream.

Term Limits, publicly Financed Campaigns and Lobby Reform is a long and arduous journey but it eventually gets the slime out and actual legislators in.

10. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 8 years ago

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.  He stated what many people believe, that Republicans seem to be against women and minorities and that it is a problem for the party.

1. Alternative Prime profile image56
      Alternative Primeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Just one of a Plethora of problems republicans have ~

11. profile image0

Nothing will change at all , one Iota ! until  Americans awaken from the stupor of apathy ,  stop choosing from the lazy man's way of  dicing up rhetorical bullshit ,   The white house and all its  inhabitants holds less power than a nine volt battery ! Yet we are focused  on that one moronic image of power .   
    CONGRESS , is where we must alter the course of history , term limits ,     campaign finance reform - big time !    Until Americans vote out all incumbents , sending a message  of change to those most responsible for our predicament , we will suffer continually until forever !   My fear is that it's too late , yet it's only too late because of the laziness  of the American voter .

Agree +11111111111111!

12. colorfulone profile image78

America needs to WAKE UP! 

This sign is in Dearborn Michigan.  (Rich Naticchione)

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12598602.jpg

1. profile image0

It isn't real. 

"Neither the sign nor the organization is real, however. The photo is a fake created using the Church Sign Maker, a web site that allowed users to create realistic-looking images of church signs bearing messages of their choosing:"
      Read more at http://www.snopes.com/photos/signs/isla … kKbxk5q.99

Completely concur with your sentiment that "America needs to wake up," although I'd modify that to say "some people in American need to wake up" and stop believing everything they see on the internet.

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/002092119/356487661_tin_foil_cat_xlarge.jpeg

This is my cat.  He's a highly intelligent being.  big_smile

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There's something about that cat I tell Ya!   He Just  knows things !

2. colorfulone profile image78

I had never heard of "Church Sign Maker" but I did find that same sign and background on the site.  Cool! 

I need to check this stuff out for myself more and more...its getting mighty deep.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)