Flash to flicker out on Chrome on 1 Sepember

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)
  1. janderson99 profile image54
    janderson99posted 8 years ago

Not sure how this will affect HP, but people who have their owns sites may need to update their ads to HTML5. Image uploader?
    Google "would start automatically pausing Flash in Chrome on Tuesday"
    See: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?shva= … 85aee042aa

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ah... is that why Amazon instructed people to remove all widgets from their blogs?

2. lisavollrath profile image92
      lisavollrathposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Flash is being phased out. I teach classes online, and some of my older ones were originally done has self-hosted Flash videos. All summer, I've been quietly converting them to unlisted YouTube videos, and replacing all the Flash, in anticipation of the day it becomes impossible for my students to view class lessons in their browser of choice.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image83
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

As a non tech person, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about here.  I have no sites of my own, but may want to start one later...soooo...what, exactly am I supposed to do?  I do use Chrome.  I suspect HP is taking care of this problem for us...are they?  If not, what should I do. Could really use some guidance here.

1. makingamark profile image71
        makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No need to flap - you don't need to worry!

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image83

Thanks.  Really appreciate your comments here.  Like many, I came to HP simply wanting to write.  I knew how to use a computer, of course, but never dreamed I'd be getting involved in all this technical stuff.  So, when someone says things need to be changed, I feel like they are speaking Greek to me.

One of the reasons I like writing on this site as that they take care of tech stuff pretty well.  If I was on my own, I wouldn't last long I don't think.

I think people forget to remember that people's circumstances are all very different and that just announcing something - without providing a caveat that specifically identifies the people it affects - can cause a lot of unnecessary worry.

Like the recent HP announcement about the changes in the advertisements - which only applied to those who were NOT part of the HumPages scheme! smile

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image83

I agree.  There have been several times when this has happened to me, but I know that when you do something all of the time, it seems simple to you, but you don't realize that to someone else it is foreign.  Thank goodness there are people like you who step in and clarify situations!

2. paradigm search profile image53
    paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

My opinion of Adobe is well-known, good riddance.

1. lisavollrath profile image92
      lisavollrathposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Resistance is futile.

3. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 8 years ago

I think ads are automatically displayed and controlled by Google. Then why should we bother about them? Do you say we can display our ads? I am total ignorant about all these things. I simply know that I have to simply sign up for adsense. After that I should only bother about stats and my earnings. Nothing more.

4. littlething profile image95
    littlethingposted 8 years ago

Oh yes! I'm actually extremely glad that this is happening. Flash is, from a privacy and security perspective, full of holes. Viruses, adware and worse has come through Flash ads. HTML5 is much better in that respect. Google and other ad networks will most likely take care of this without alot of people needing to change anything, I'm willing to bet. Unless your site is self hosted, then you probably won't have too much a problem. I have never hosted a site and have no clue as to the ads or how they work. Timetraveler- I'm thinking that if you use a host for your site, such as WordPress, Blogger, etc, you shouldn't have too much a problem, I'd think. If you go out and buy your own domain, then I'm not sure. That I've never done, and have no experience with. Then again, I could be completely wrong here. Hoping not, it would be a pain to switch my WordPress sites....

5. makingamark profile image71
    makingamarkposted 8 years ago

Apple refused to have anything to do with Flash yonks ago!  Too much of a security risk and a memory hogger. 

NOBODY NEEDS TO DO ANYTHING - unless you already have a website which is using Flash - in which case you might want to ponder on the fact it won't render on an iPad.

For those wanting to know about "the history" between Apple and Flash, Wikipedia has a useful article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_and … ontroversy

1. littlething profile image95
      littlethingposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Google is now refusing to have anything to do with Flash on their Chrome browser, so its not just Apple anymore.  Come tomorrow, Flash ads will not play on Chrome.

Where Apple leads Google will eventually follow! wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)