Many interesting people do not use the forums feature

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (34 posts)
  1. DasEngel profile image60
    DasEngelposted 8 years ago

..which has been an interesting discovery for me. They have interesting content and perspectives. But they seldom come upfront. What are your thoughts. No, not yours. I'm asking the interesting people!

1. Christy Kirwan profile image94
      Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think it's simply a different writing style. Some prefer the support and intimacy of a community (like the Forums) while others are more comfortable with quietly writing Hubs. I think it's one of the reasons browsing Hubs can be so much fun: there are many great writers you won't see or hear about otherwise. smile

DasEngelposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's true!

I just realized that there are many interesting people in the entire world. Wish I could see their hubs!  smile wink

1. Naveed Ahmed 624 profile image77
            Naveed Ahmed 624posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Most of these interesting people won't be writing hubs though ! Maybe they aren't interesting in writing of any sort. So reading online is not the only way we might know about interesting people in the world. I have heard and know of many socially active people who don't like to be mentioned in the stories / writings just for the sake of their inner contentment that they are not providing service for any material returns or commendations.

That's true. smile

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
      Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, why don't they?

As you know, reasons there are several.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

That is a very boring answer. I thought you would (at least try) to do better.
          … so what reasons have you thought of?
          and maybe you could define "interesting."

( -as in maybe to you, that was an interesting answer-)

Online forums, in a way, are like UFC championship matches. But unlike UFC, forums typically houses some players who carry knives and guns, and who knows what other weapons! They are very few in number, but they dominate the entire game. No matter how good or how terrific a mixed martial artist you are, you can't win if your opposition out of nowhere reveals a gun.

That's why some people may subconsciously avoid online forums. smile

2. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 8 years ago

Sometimes the forums can be confrontational in a way that hubs rarely are. Some people don't enjoy that. Also, some people just lurk (read forums) but never participate. You are being watched!

1. Ilonagarden profile image91
      Ilonagardenposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This is very true. You often get surprised and not always in a pleasant way when participating on forums. I thought the forums here were mainly to support the writing community, but I guess there are different facts to it.

People are definitely lurking... it's what I usually do, as I am mainly looking for information on how Hubpages work. After more than a year I still don't know much.

3. Chriswillman90 profile image91
    Chriswillman90posted 8 years ago

I love using the forums for informational purposes but it's nice to participate in off color banter too.

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
      Shadesbreathposted 8 years ago

Well I suppose it's ironic that I am piping in on this topic, given that I am tediously uninteresting. In fact, simply in the course of writing that sentence I fell asleep twice and had to delete the six hundred and eighty-nine lines of "adfsdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd ..." that ensued. (I think there is some sort of cosmic justice in the fact that it was mostly the letter D there, given my grades in high school English, but I digress).

Anyway, the problem with forums, as an old, old schooler on HP (and just old in general, as well as old in terms of Internet--see, so old I still capitalize the I there), is that forums like any community, are warmest when intimate. Hence the romantic nature of small towns. Hence the romantic nature of our own personal histories. High School, for example, is a thing that becomes more nostalgic as many age simply because, as shitty as all that was, at least the world was small. Our enemies were few and fathomable (at least in hindsight), and while few of us were "popular," at least we had our little group that got us.

Anyway, as I drift into my signature pedantic boringness, I'd just like to point out that HP used to have a vibrant and wonderful forum life. It died. Lots of reasons for it. Much of which was Google changes. A lot of it was that too many people came who wrote only to game the Google algorithms and vampire off of all the work HP was doing to be legit. The shitheads crushed HP, and, if I'm being cruelly honest, HP was making so much bank of the SEO exploitation for a while, they probably delayed just exactly long enough for it to be too long, and shot themselves in the foot.

That said, I've seen my income begin to rebound lately. To the point that it might be worthwhile to spend time producing content again. I hope so. When HP was a relevant content option that rewarded the work of the talented folks who wrote here, this forum community was epic, a bright fire of prosaic promise that drew brilliant moth minds from across the globe. I still enjoy those friendships, and I can't help hope for a return to the same.

And yes, I know, who cares. I am a confessed blowhard, so, your opinion of my remarks is shared even by myself, most likely. None the less, cheers.

Cheers. Your exchange here is quite inspiring for the rest of us. Keep up the good work! smile

1. Huntgoddess profile image67
          Huntgoddessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Also hilarious!!

And free! smile

2. Huntgoddess profile image67
          Huntgoddessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Lots of great info here. I never knew these things.

Also, great writing!! Thanks.

:-)))

2. Jodah profile image91
        Jodahposted 8 years ago

Well I am here to write hubs. I sometimes visit the forums if someone I know has posted, but rarely otherwise. Communicating through hub comments is much more interesting to me. I wouldn't consider myself an interesting person though.

3. firstcookbooklady profile image84
        firstcookbookladyposted 8 years ago

Has anyone read any of my hubs? My interests include unusual crafts.

1. theraggededge profile image97
          theraggededgeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Fascinating. DasEngel will be right over.

4. Naveed Ahmed 624 profile image77
        Naveed Ahmed 624posted 8 years ago

Although I will not classify myself in the category of interesting persons, yet the other part of the forum thread title is true for me. I have never used the Hubpages forum before for any public discussion. But just visiting the forum today, and seeing this thread topic I just pushed myself into going through some of the discussion exchanges.
        I also would say that there would be many people who are silent participants of the forum section too, they just would come here to read and learn something, but not participate with their own words. Why they do so, could have many possible answers. Maybe because they are not simply interested in argumentation or that they cannot argue - to count some of the reasons.
        But I now realize that actively participating in forums shapes your personality on the site. You get ideas, criticism, options and reviews and increase your exposure to a wider audience. Therefore, not to laugh though, an advice from an inactive forum participant is to be active in forums.

I really have no idea why more people do not join in on the (HP) forums. I find it way better/addicting than TV.
          Educational (on so many levels) is also an appropriate description of the HP Forums.

5. WriteAngled profile image74
        WriteAngledposted 8 years ago

When I first joined, the forums here used to be fantastic, but they were definitely not for the faint-hearted.

As with so many other things, everything has been diluted so that the namby-pambies don't go running off crying to their mummies. As a result, many of the the interesting people have been banned or have left (of course numerous other policy changes have also made many of the best people leave).

The net result is tedious mediocrity. I scan the forum titles for a minute or so each day, but rarely find anything to follow through.

So put up your own!
          P L E E E Z E !!!

6. paradigm search profile image54
        paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

https://i.imgflip.com/qmlj1.jpg

( Hilarious! lol )

2. Lady Lorelei profile image85
          Lady Loreleiposted 8 years ago

Us super interesting people are busy working wink

Excuse me, but do the busy people ever join a website? smile

3. DasEngel profile image60
          DasEngelposted 8 years ago

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12627598_f1024.jpg

4. Jason Marovich profile image88
          Jason Marovichposted 8 years ago

I agree with those who said the forums have gotten tired.  I disagree in that I don't feel it has much to do with Google or HubPages.  Most of the forums I've been on over the years have gotten tired.

HP forums tend to cover many of the same topics over and over and over.

"Did you see what Panda did to me?  OMG and WTF!"

"My religion is bigger than your religion."

"HubPages is dying, I better go and backup my backups!"

or worst of all...

"Look at me."

Gasp.

All that being said, I'm still here.  I check the forums at least once per day and I'm a busy fellow. 

I'm still hooked on what the writers here have to say.

This would be a great way to end a post: Look At Me.

LAM

5. passionatelearnr profile image84
          passionatelearnrposted 8 years ago

some nice tips can be found on forums.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
        Necessary
        HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
        LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
        Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
        AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
        Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
        CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
        Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
        Features
        Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
        Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
        Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
        Marketing
        Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
        Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
        Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
        Statistics
        Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
        ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
        ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)