Forum layout suggestion

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (29 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years ago

I am really tired of reading forums that have interesting titles but were written some time ago.  I posted about this last week, but now have a suggestion that will help people decide whether they want to read and/or respond to such posts:  PUT THE DATE BESIDE OR DIRECTLY UNDERNEATH THE POST'S TITLE.

1. WryLilt profile image89
      WryLiltposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. Or ANYTHING that will stop people bumping them. It doesn't help that the "related discussions" at the bottom of posts are all years old.

1. SheilaMilne profile image92
        SheilaMilneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The date is directly underneath the title, beside the author's name, or at least it is on my PC. It could be missing on mobile view, I suppose.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I don't know what you are looking at, but I have none of this on my PC and apparently others don't either...I am not looking via a mobile device.  I am talking about the forum topics here.  When you click on a forum, titles appear as well as authors' names...but no dates.  What are you looking at?

I'm guessing this?

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12681803_f248.jpg

2. SheilaMilne profile image92

This is what I'm seeing (under the heading Related Discussions):

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12682288_f248.jpg

Phyllis Doyle obviously sees the same as I do

We are talking about two different things. When I click on "Explore" and then "Forums" what comes up is a list of forum titles followed by the name of the author.  There is no date, and there is no warning.  I guess it depends on how you are accessing the forum topics, but those warnings should be everywhere, otherwise, people will keep responding to the old ones, and this causes confusion.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
                Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

When I click on Explore then forums, this is what I see:

Discussion    Replies    Most Recent    When
                Post-a-factposted by Sed-me in HubPages Tutorials and Community    628    NateB11    43 hours ago

The further down the list you go the older the forum is.

Edit: Well, actually it is how old the latest post - but that gives a pretty good idea of how old the forum thread is.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image91
                  Millionaire Tipsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's the problem. Since someone recently commented on it, the time looks like it is a recent forum. So you start reading the posts and writing comments only to come to the realization that it is an old thread.

Maybe putting the first post's date as well as the last post's date/time would help.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image93
                    Sherry Hewinsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

People reply to old threads because they see them in the related posts section. When they reply to them, they become active again. That's why you're seeing old posts on the forums.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

But when you look at the initial list, there is nothing to indicate the original post date.  This is where I think it should be shown, not later.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

Maybe the date could be automatic and at the beginning of the title of the forum with a : or -  after the date. That would solve the problem.

2. profile image0
                calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The date created may not show on the forum main page, but once you open a thread, you can just look at the first post and see if the thread was created 5 years ago or 5 hours ago. 

The only people who don't do this are spammers and new users.  There's not much excuse for long-time users who reply to years old threads, even if spammers are the culprit for reviving them.

...and yet, they continue to do it!

2. Venkatachari M profile image84
          Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You might be seeing the date on hubs, not on forums and questions.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

Look at all the 'Related Discussions' below. On all of them it says "4 years ago" "5 years ago" or other 'years ago' right after the OP's name.  By hubber 2 years ago, etc.

I always pay attention to that so I don't go and read old stuff.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image93
      Sherry Hewinsposted 8 years ago

I think any forum post that gives the "This Forum Thread is Inactive" warning should not be included in the Related Posts section. It is their appearance there that is causing people to answer them, thereby putting them back to the top of the forum feed.

It already has a warning at the top saying:

The post you are replying to is over two months old. Please DO NOT reply UNLESS you have truly new information to add to this conversation. Consider creating a new forum discussion instead.

Maybe people don't read it?

1. SheilaMilne profile image92

And it's in bright red!

1. ChristinS profile image39
            ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

People obviously don't read it.  When I brought this up before I believe it was Matthew who responded saying that the warning should deter people from replying to old threads.  I honestly don't see why it's such a big deal to make posts over a year old or so read only.  It would keep others able to read older posts and keep the more relevant and timely stuff active.  Seems simple and pretty common sense to me.

3. makingamark profile image70
      makingamarkposted 8 years ago

The "New Feature Discussions Forum" is where they read the threads and the suggestions made  Nobody from HQ will be reading this one.

So....
      * Instead of starting a thread to discuss this in "freeform discussion" (where every comment is redundant from the perspective of trying to change things)
      * it's much better to post such requests for change  in the "New Feature Suggestions Discussions" http://hubpages.com/forum/category/6634 
      * (properly configured as per the notes in "New HubPages Feature Suggestions FAQ - Please read before posting! http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/119282#post2523082 )

If you did start a thread in the appropriate forum you'd see that
      1) I've aready started one - the suggestion being "Close threads if no new posts for a specified period" http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/133233 - which means (according to the forum instructions) that you should not start another. Rather it's better to add comments to the existing one
      2) However only two people responded to it!

Now if a few more people responded to this thread - http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/133233 - then maybe we might get somewhere........

How about it?

This is a different suggestion - instead of closing the thread, we are asking for the start date to be more prominent.  That way, everyone knows they are looking at an old thread before they even open it. 

I noticed that it was in the discussions thread instead of new feature suggestions when I first saw it.  I figured it was because the OP was making sure it was something people wanted it before suggesting it.  I have now reported it as being in the wrong forum, so hopefully the moderator will move it to the new feature forum without having to start all over again.

1. makingamark profile image70
          makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

even so -  this suggestions is NEVER going to be looked at simply because it's not been posted in the right section of the forum.

If you've got a good suggestion, make sure you post it in the "New Feature Suggestions Discussions" http://hubpages.com/forum/category/6634

This post is now in the New Feature Suggestions forum.  When I see that a post is in the wrong forum, I just report the original post as being in the wrong forum, and it is usually changed without any issue.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

Millionaire Tips:  You are correct.  This was just meant as a matter for open discussion to see what people think.  When I want something specifically addressed, I don't wait for the team to look at the forums...I send them an email.

It's a pretty simple thing, really.  There is no reason why Hubbers should have to play guessing games when it comes to seeing the recency of a post.

Thanks for your help on this.  Help is always nicer than complaint and criticism.

4. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 8 years ago

Sheesh.  This post is three days old.  Come on people - move on.

5. Chriswillman90 profile image92
      Chriswillman90posted 8 years ago

I think there were postings on 7 year old threads which is crazy to me. I wouldn't want a thread longer than a year to exist because it's likely not relevant anymore. When I was looking through threads, I read informative postings only to note they didn't make sense because they were outdated.

It reminded me of those old history books that still thought Reagon was the current president. Come on peeps let's get this show on the road.

+1

2. Millionaire Tips profile image91

Some old forum posts are interesting and relevant.  I would prefer to allow them to be revived. 

The problem is that when they are listed as related forums in current threads, newbies and spammers revive them without good reason.  There is plenty of warning for them to not revive them, but they are too easy to pick up since they are in the related threads section.  My fix would be to take them out of the related threads section.  That way, the only people who are reviving threads are people who are looking for a particular answer.  And, of course, put the date of the original post on the listing page (in addition to date/time of the latest post), so that people know how old it is before getting all excited about answering.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)