I've been asked for a pay statement from HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Kryssy OSullivan profile image87
    Kryssy OSullivanposted 8 years ago

I'm not sure 100% where to post this, so I figured here would be best...

Me and my husband fell on hard times after I was put on modified bed rest for pregnancy complications, and he ended up fired from his job for being autistic. (I know, it can be classified as discrimination. It's a whole other story there...)

So, we figured to go the food stamps route for the time being. Upon the interview, the woman told me that I came up as working for here, on HubPages, and said I need a statement about my earnings on here. Honestly, I haven't made much and have always used HubPages as like a side project, so to say. Basically, it's not enough for a cash out, yet. (With life being busy and all it's distractions, I'm still learning the ropes around here, a little over a year later.)
    I did tell the woman that I haven't made much and I basically just earn pennies, but she said that because I filled out tax information, a pay statement needed to be submitted.

So, now I am wondering... I don't see anything about getting a pay statement on here, so should I just print out the page that says how much I've earned in total for each month? Or is there another way?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! smile

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

First, I am not a tax expert, so I would advise talking to one. Some places like community groups and local libraries have tax lines or experts you can consult.

That being said, HubPages no longer issue tax documents (as of 2013).
      http://hubpages.com/faq/#taxforms

As Paypal does the actual issue of payments they would be the ones with any tax documents and then only in certain circumstances.

From that FAQ

Will I receive end-of-year tax forms from HubPages?

No. Beginning in 2013, the IRS requires that payments made via third party network transactions (e.g., PayPal) be reported on Form 1099-K by the payment settlement entity and are not subject to reporting on Form 1099-MISC. Since PayPal is the only mechanism by which HubPages Earnings Program payments are disbursed, HubPages will not be mailing 1099-MISC forms. As of 2015, PayPal will issue 1099K forms, but only for accounts with $20,000 and 200+ payments.

You may be able to print and use your balance history report which you can find here to explain the situation further.
      https://hubpages.com/my/earnings/history

Here is the section of the FAQ that explains when payments are issued as well.
      http://hubpages.com/faq/#hpads-payments

I hope that helps!

PS If you need help with your security questions, you can email us at team@hubpages.com

2. Kylyssa profile image90
      Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

1. Go to your Paypal account and click the tab at the top that says "Activity."

2. Select the time period you need in the first box on the left using the drop down arrow. More is better so you may wish to choose 2015 to get all of 2015.

3. Using the drop down arrow in the second box, select "Payments received" and click "View."

4. Print off that page.

This should work. I've helped people who get income from online work fill out the DHS forms for assistance and they've had no problems using the Paypal activity statement as proof that they've earned income. You should likely write on the top of the page something like "freelance income" so they understand what the page is being provided for.

[edited to add]

Oops. I didn't see the part there where you said you hadn't made payout yet when I scanned over your post.

You should be able to print off your earnings report from HubPages and use that. Once you do earn payout, you can do the thing I said before.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

Paypal also will not issue tax document unless your earnings are in the thousands

What you can do is go to Paypal, select the correct period and search for Hubpages payments, and print that out. While not an official tax document this will often be accepted.

No one involved will issue you a tax document.

3. Kryssy OSullivan profile image87
    Kryssy OSullivanposted 8 years ago

Thank you very much, everyone! I greatly appreciate the help! I think I've got a good idea of how to do things now. Again, thank you! smile

1. galleryofgrace profile image72
      galleryofgraceposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Reminder: You do not work for Hubpages. You are self employed and should be keeping records of your own. Secondly  the food stamp worker has no way of knowing you do freelance work unless you told them.

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
        Jean Bakulaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi galleryofgrace,
        People can find out you do a little freelance writing on the side just by Googling your name, and a list of your writings comes up.

When my husband passed on, our insurance agent took advantage of my grief and talked me into a bad investment, where I put a large sum of our life savings. I was too upset to make such a decision at the time, and trusted him. It's a year and a half later, and I'm still fighting to get my money out of this annuity. He sold it to me based on the huge bonus he got.

During my fight with his superiors, I got a letter stating that "I owned my own small business." That could only have been based on someone from the insurance company, who saw hubs and articles written on my personal blog in my own name. I'm still fighting, but may have to take a penalty to get my principle back and reinvest my money.

But I never told him or the insurance company I made pocket money writing an article here or there. It's easy for anyone to look it up.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Jean,

You can file a complaing with the national securities and exchange commission using this link

https://www.sec.gov/

They may be able to help you with this issue.  If that does not work, you may need to hire an attorney.  Sorry this happened to you.

Thanks. I already have both an aggressive attorney and financial adviser. Since that part of my money is in an annuity that isn't making much money, it's not losing much either, as the stock market has been a bit low lately. So I had other assets, and my principle is safe for now. It just takes long to fight it, but even if I end up having to take the penalty, I'll be OK. We are trying one more fraud agency, and if I don't get results, I'll take the penalty and move the money to something safe, yet more aggressive.

If anyone else is ever in my situation, wait until your grief passes more before you make important decisions. Also, a fee only financial adviser charges you ONCE, and then advises you forever. She or he doesn't make money off your investments like the Prudential agent who took advantage of me. I live  in NJ, and their HQ is here, so they get away with more than they would in other places. They have deep pockets, so I can't take them on directly. I will be OK.

1. clivewilliams profile image72
              clivewilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You can sell that annuity or structured settlement and get your cash Now!

I know. I have reasons for waiting a bit. Thanks though.

4. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 8 years ago

If you've never received a cash out, then you've never been paid any money - so there's nothing to tax.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's exactly what I would have thought, but I've had other writers swear that if it's accrued, it must be declared.  TBH  don't know which is true.

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Well my accountant only makes me declare earnings I actually get - IDK how the US system works though - everything they do is beyond me! big_smile big_smile

Sometimes in the U.S. it raises a flag to the IRS if your financial situation goes through an abrupt or large change. It could just be something simple, like you took money of your own from an investment. Then you may have placed it in your regular savings account, while you researched whatever it was you needed it for, just so the cash would be accessible.

Even that shouldn't be anybody's business, but it doesn't take much to get noticed or to stand out in some way. Our government is getting really nosy. The amount anyone makes at HP shouldn't be enough to be asked about statements though.

1. WryLilt profile image88
            WryLiltposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Here in Aus, anything under $10,000/year is classed as a "hobby". I admit it's one of the reasons I don't write as much anymore (in an attempt to stay under it), although it now looks as if I can no longer manage that. Under $18,000/year, we don't get taxed (or we get a stack of rebates), so any earnings below that just cause more work and aren't looked at as closely.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

I believe the "hobby" limit in the US is $3,000.  Also, remember that you can take write offs that can lower your over all tax bite.  For online writing, you do not have to declare anything  if you make less than $1200 in a year.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

My husband, who is an accountant, says that you must have "constructive receipt" of money before you can be taxed on it.

So, for instance, if you have $45 at the end of a month at HP (which does not meet the $50 limit), you have not actually "received" it, and therefore cannot be taxed on it.  This is in the US.  Can't speak for other countries.

I'm not sure the IRS is understanding your situation, Jean.

I got off topic with the IRS, because others were talking about it, and added to my original post about Prudential deciding my writing was a "business" and trying to insinuate I made oodles of money from it.
          I never mentioned it to them, as it was none of their business, and I really don't make enough money to have to file it with the IRS.

My original issue has nothing to do with the IRS, it was with our life insurance agent, who steered me to an investment just so he made a big bonus out of it, not because it was in my best interests. I'm fighting it, but even if the outcome is not in my favor, I will be OK financially. My husband worked 6 days a week all our 34 married years, and I worked F/T too, as many years as my scoliosis allowed me to. Now I'm on disability. I tried for years, because I have chronic pain, but finally my husband had to pass before they would consider me "a disabled widow." Ironic. Maybe I'll have more time to write now!
          Thanks for trying to advise me, sorry I confused the thread topic. I just wanted to point out that people can find out you make money writing online without you telling them, they just have to google you and see how many articles you wrote (if you use your real name).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)