Getting paid.

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Amanda Abbott profile image65
    Amanda Abbottposted 8 years ago

I've been on hubpages for a few months now and I'll I've been paid so far is one cent. I have six hubs and tons of views.  Am I doing something wrong? Or do I just need to publish more hubs?

Thanks!

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Earnings are more or less proportional to views, so if your articles aren't getting a lot of traffic you won't make much money.

There are many different ways to get more views; the easiest is to write hubs that answer questions people search the internet for, and that way people will come across your hubs when they search on google.  To get traffic this way it's important to make your titles crystal clear using words and phrases that people google.  Something like "How to Make Cheap DIY Curtains from Bed Sheets" is better than "How I Fabricated Some Inexpensive Window Coverings Last Weekend"

Some people also get traffic by promoting their articles on social media, and others get a lot of traffic from hub images that are pinned on Pinterest. 

And of course, the more hubs you have the more views you will get.

Creative writing and personal essays don't really get much traffic on HP, so if that is mainly what you want to write you might consider other publishing venues.

Hope that helps, and best of luck to you.

2. paradigm search profile image54
      paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like you should have earned more than one cent. Do you have Status Active for AdSense and Ad Program at https://hubpages.com/my/earnings/affiliate/ ?

Also, if statuses are indeed active; the stats page total restarts at zero every month. Maybe https://hubpages.com/my/earnings/history shows more earnings?

3. Sherry Hewins profile image93
      Sherry Hewinsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

As paradigm search said, make sure your earnings settings are correct. Also, when I first started, I looked around for hubbers to interact with. Read a few hubs and comment on them. Follow a few people, in other words,  make some friends. This will probably up your views a little. While you won't make much money from that, and it is not a long-term strategy,  it can be encouaging while you are waiting for organic traffic to find you.

2. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 8 years ago

As a rough estimate, a writer needs somewhere near 700 views a day, or at least somewhere near 21,000 a month, to reach the payment threshold in a month--if you have the HP Ad Program activated. So, that's quite a bit of traffic necessary to reach payout. But it also depends on how much you earn per view, which is dependent on what advertisers are paying for the ads on your Hubs; which is dependent on subject matter and what kind of visitors you get.

Advice on how to get traffic that others have offered is good. If you want a pretty effective and relatively simple way to come up with traffic-getting titles, you might want to check out Wrylilt's Hub on getting traffic using Google Suggest for finding titles for your Hubs.

3. Sue Adams profile image94
    Sue Adamsposted 8 years ago

It may take a year to make the payment threshold and it certainly won't happen with just 6 hubs.

4. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

What do you mean by "tons" of views?   

On average, you can expect to make between $2 - $5 per thousand views.

5. Amanda Abbott profile image65
    Amanda Abbottposted 8 years ago

I'm figuring it out now. I still need more followers and views. I've uploaded a video on YouTube with a direct link to my hubpages site. I also post new articles on Twitter and Facebook every day. Any other suggestions?

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Followers will not get you a significant number of views.  Followers on HubPages are other members, and we are all writers first, readers second.  You can't start making money until you start attracting readers from Google, Bing and Yahoo!  And remember, you need thousands of views to make a few dollars.

To attract readers from the search engines, you need to be writing about stuff people are searching FOR.   Take a look at your Hubs - who do you think is searching for those subjects, and what would they have to type into Google to find them?  For most of them, I can't think of a good answer to that - which means no one from outside HubPages is likely to find them, and therefore they don't stand a chance of earning income.

You're not alone - the online world is very frustrating for poets, and those who like to write creative or opinion pieces.  People don't search for that kind of stuff on Google much - and if they do, they are more likely to end up on dedicated poetry or short story websites than on a place like HubPages.   So your poems and creative pieces would get a much wider readership on one of those sites - but then, those sites do not pay!

6. profile image0
    Robilo2posted 8 years ago

Other ideas - submit your URLs to FreeWebSummission.com to get them indexed in many search engines.  Follow the directions carefully and some require you to respond to their email etc to prevent fraud.

Also - look at your article summary - that is the data that shows to the internet surfer when your page is one of the results.. make sure you have included internet search terms/keywords in your summary!  Here is a free tool to help you understand keywords ... keywordtool.io

Then - research your page listing by using your keywords in the various engines and locate the position of your HP article.   Some of mine are still on page 2 of the google results, some are still nowhere to be found.... I do have a few articles on the top 10 results.... just by narrowing the keywords to my article niche.

And - become a member of the most popular blogsites that relate to your topics - that way you can add commentary and hopefully provide a link to your article on HP.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)