So which is it, HP? 100 or 300?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Ramkitten2000 profile image91
    Ramkitten2000posted 8 years ago

Perhaps it's been there, but I just noticed a warning in a blue box in the upper right-hand corner in edit mode, saying that my hub may be unfeatured because I have fewer than 300 words per Amazon capsule.

Last I heard, 100 words per Amazon capsule was the minimum required ratio, though all of my hubs have more than that. Three hundred, though--many do not.

So, which is it? 100 or 300? If it's 300 now, I guess I'll have to add a lot of rambling blah-blah to my hubs.

1. LongTimeMother profile image92
      LongTimeMotherposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Seems remarkably unfair to jump from 100 to 300. I suspect many hubbers would no longer bother editing hubs to update them.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think that what they really are telling her is that her word count overall is too little for the number of ads she has on her hub.  You can get away with the minimum if your overall count is high, but if not, your ads look spammy, which is not what the team wants to see.

In the article I reviewed, the ads are for the same product, just in different flavors.  What's the point.  One ad would be plenty and would meet the basic QAP requirements.

1. Ramkitten2000 profile image91
          Ramkitten2000posted 8 years agoin reply to this

TimeTraveler...

Thank you ... but I did not request that you or anyone else choose a random hub of mine for critique or analysis. That particular hub (and others like it) was created way back when in response to a Squidoo challenge and I could really care less about it ... though it actually earned more than its fair share of income. I am and always have been much more concerned with my hubs on topics I care about, like Search & Rescue and backcountry recreation and safety.

However, what I posted about originally was the required minimum word count per Amazon module and the apparent, unannounced change. I'm not sure how that was interpreted to mean I wanted a random critique. As a matter of fact, I'm not having an issue with the hub you randomly selected. I just happened to notice that warning on an entirely different hub, so I questioned the rule.

Oh, and I'm happy for you that you have never had an issue here. Impressive.

Sorry that you feel like I stepped on your toes.  I was simply trying to help you out with some constructive criticism so that more of your hubs would not become unfeatured.  Apparently you don't do well with constructive criticism, so I promise not to offer assistance to you in the future.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

I would email the team to make sure, but the last I heard it was 100.  Please let us know what you find out.

1. SheilaMilne profile image93
        SheilaMilneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's definitely 300 now.  I have a couple of hubs that have the warning, but so far only a warning. Mine will thankfully be easy enough to fix. They are book hubs so I can substitute some photos of the books in question for some of the Amazon ads.

Nuts!  I knew nothing about this and even though I have very few ads, I created all of them with the 100 word limit in mind.  I wonder if they will be grandfathered until we do updates?  Anybody know about this?  When was this announced?

It hasn't been announced, as far as I know.  I don't think anyone knows any details - yet.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

This is a direct quote from the learning center, so I do not understand why people are getting those warnings.

Every Product Needs 100 Words of Original Text

In order to maintain a standard of high quality, HubPages requires that every Hub contain a minimum of 100 words per Amazon or eBay product, e.g., if you have three related Amazon products in your Hub, you need at least 300 original words (the more original content, the better). Hubs that fall below this threshold will be moderated and need to be updated before they can be republished.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12723534_f248.jpg

1. NateB11 profile image87
          NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Lol

2. SheilaMilne profile image93

You see it when you are editing the hub.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think TT2's point is, the Learning Centre is still saying nothing about this.

3. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The very next paragraph says

NOTE: Adding 100 words per product capsule is a bare minimum for your Hub to escape moderation, and a Hub that only meets the minimum requirements is unlikely to pass Boot Camp. Keep in mind that a truly high-quality article will contain a much higher ratio of original text and information to products.

so the learning center's verbiage is consistent with the warning people are now seeing.  100 words is only enough to avoid moderation but not nearly enough to be featured.

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/crea … d_22670857

This may be why I have not had a problem.  Although some of the few ads I have are just above the minimum "per capsule", the text on my articles is always more than 1000 words and some go closer to 2,000.

Also, I have wondered how they do this count when you widen the ads for mobile because at that point, they appear between two different capsules.  Any thoughts?

4. tsmog profile image83
      tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I went and checked my hub. I didn't see what you shared. I did make  discovery I had not noticed before with links. Something new . . . I dun'no, but follows along with the OP.

I noticed:

Style Tip

[?]
      We noticed you have a number of links grouped together. To keep your Hub Featured, please incorporate useful, relevant links into the sentence structure of your Hub or, if you would like to link to your own Hubs, group them using the Grouping feature.

Both yours and this one seems to be related to a crawl.

Sharing is I used the Link Capsule for additional reading related to the Hub Topic at the end of the article. I also made a linked Table of Contents. My pondering gives cause to if the Link Capsule is being phased out? And, what weight is given to the internal Hub links with quality assessment via a crawl. I am heeding "To keep your Hub Featured". (Shrugs Shoulders ??)

5. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

I see what the problem is.  I looked at your hub about Zevia and did a word count.  You only have 744 words, but you have five ads showing...far too many for that number of words.  I suspect that if you drop three or four of them, the warning will disappear.  Just a guess, but I think it's spot on.

If you are not using one of the online character and word counters, you can't really know how many words are in your hub or in any capsule.  Always check this to protect yourself.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

When did this change occur?   I'm glad it did, because I've suspected that HubPages wasn't sticking to its own rules - at least they're being honest now. A bit rude not to announce it though.

I only noticed it today.  Yes, there should have been an announcement.

3. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 8 years ago

Well I was thinking of leaving my few sales pages here until AFTER Xmas.

Interesting timing.

Whoops!

These new Amazon shopping ads are rather better than the HubPages version any how...

https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/gp … /main.html

4. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

Just noticed the same thing when checking why a bunch of my hubs were de-featured and doing some updates. A warning at the top saying they are in danger of being no longer featured because there are not 300 words per ad. This is something HP usually announces, but not this time. Sneaky little HubPages. I do welcome it, but would still be nice to get a warning.

1. Jean Bakula profile image90
      Jean Bakulaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

They always mess around with this right before the holiday season. I'm not even going to bother using Amazon capsules anymore, I never made any money on it anyway.

5. Ramkitten2000 profile image91
    Ramkitten2000posted 8 years ago

Thanks for your responses. I don't know if I posted this where HP will see it and maybe respond, but I'll try sending an email to the team to ask.

If 300 is the new minimum requirement, I'd have appreciated an advance heads-up before I tried to edit hubs. I've been going round and round with MTurk since they've been unfeatured time and again once edited ... although they'd been edited since the LAST new minimum requirement and passed just fine.

Also, some kind of icon next to hubs that no longer meet the minimum required ratio would be very helpful.

6. sockii profile image71
    sockiiposted 8 years ago

Well I see the last few art tutorials I had left here dropping like flies to this new change and falling into unfeatured status...just got payout so whereas I was going to leave them here until after Christmas, I suppose I can thank HubPages for speeding along my deletion and relocation!

I checked your article on creating a classical oil painting.  Good wordage...1955 words, but ten ads, some of which are very closely placed.

That's a lot of advertising for just that many words, especially the way you have placed some of them.  I'm not surprised the team took action.

The most I ever place on any article regardless of length is 3, and that is stretching it.

1. Jean Bakula profile image90
        Jean Bakulaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Also, we used to be able to put two products in an Amazon capsule. It could be my mistake, but I can add only one item now. I am just going to stop adding the capsules, it's always been a time waster for me. HP was supposed to work out a better percentage for us, but never did. Plus, if your hub is showing products related to the hub, but not so obvious the reader has to actually think about it, they say it's not applicable to your hub topic.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)