Better check your categories!

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (22 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years ago

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12722897_f520.jpg
    After spending a great deal of time a few days ago correcting my recreational vehicle categories so that they matched up with the main topic, "Auto", I just discovered that I have to do all of this work again because, without indicating anything to me, the team moved Recreational Vehicles to Travel and Places and put it on the third, not the second, tier under travel transportation.

I wondered why my views dropped by 2/3 two days ago, but assumed it was because of Halloween. NOT!

This is bad enough to have to do with 96 hubs, but what about those of you who have hundreds or even thousands of them!

It would have been nice if the team had thought this through completely so that they would realize the consequences for writers.  Nobody looking for Recreational Vehicles is going to find them under ATVs...which is where all of my hubs wound up as the result of this change.

I'm pretty upset right now, believe me, and I hope that none of you wind up with this same problem!

1. Christy Kirwan profile image91
      Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm very sorry for the stress this has caused! We've been having some issues with making changes to the Topic Tree (which should be fixed now), and these Hubs should have been moved automatically. I know it's too late to help with your Hubs, but I will take a look today and make sure the other Hubs get moved over. Once again, sorry for this frustrating glitch.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Christy.  Obviously I was very upset about having to do this twice, but I also wondered about people who have hundreds of hubs that may have gone through the same situation.  Had I not written  and published a new hub, I would never have found this problem.

Anyhow, it's done.  Views are back in place, and I'm moving on.  My husband was a computer programmer, so I know how complicated doing something like this can be.  However, I hope that the team will seriously consider making a separate category for Recreational Vehicles and a few other topics that do not quite fit into any of the current categories.

But please, if you do...try to do it so that I don't have to fix them all manually again!  I'm an old lady, and this is a lot of work and stress for me !

1. brakel2 profile image72
          brakel2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

You are a jewel on earth and have patience. God bless you.

Thanks.  Nice to hear some kudos once in awhile!

2. agvulpes profile image86
          agvulpesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Is it me or my 'Aussie' sense of humour?   
          Your husband was a 'computer program' !
          I apologise in advance for finding this 'funny' but I guess it is the 'joys' of posting:)
          and your hard work on the forums is certainly much appreciated by myself and others I'm sure smile

OOPs!  I agree, this is a pretty funny mistake!  Sorry 'bout that...no, he's not a computer, he's an actual member of the male human race!  Good thing, too, because kissing a computer is mighty "cold" LOL!

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

So where did your Hubs end up?  I thought if they moved Recreational Vehicles, then your Hubs would simply move with it, is that what happened?

If so, then they're in exactly the right place so I don't see the problem?  I wouldn't worry about it being on the third tier - readers won't be trying to find sub-categories by navigating through the HubPages structure, and Google will like the fact that it's now in a section that makes logical sense.

No, they did not automatically move, and that is why I am so upset.  I had to move each one manually...again...after having just done this a few days ago.  A ton of work!

I agree they are in a better place, but still not the right one.

If you mix RVs in with other forms of transportation, that ignores the fact that while they are, indeed, vehicles people use for travel, they also are vehicles that people live, cook, eat, entertain and sleep in.

Furthermore, the financials involved in purchasing them can be significantly different, repairs are tricky, deterioration is much worse, etc.

They really should be in a  separate category so that people can easily find the info they need.

If I am looking for ways to resolve plumbing problems, I don't want to have to sort through 50 RV hubs to find it.  If it is listed as a subtopic of Recreational Vehicles, finding it is much easier and will create more views.

I know there are other categories that have this same problem and when the team shortcuts the options, they cheat themselves as well as those who write them.  Very disheartening.

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
        Jean Bakulaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I've never been really clear on how to choose categories. When the few that come up when I click "Start a Hub", I usually click one of those. During the last changes, a lot of hubs I wrote by Astrology sign were reassigned to Rich and Famous People, not the reason the hubs were written or what my goal was. Can you change them once the hub is done? I know  "The Team" did it, but I don't know how. I see the main list of categories, but am unsure how to get one of them on my new hubs.

I am with you Jean and TT2. Maybe it will all end up ok, due to breadcrumbs, as Paul told someone, so I hope this is true. I finally understand the total meaning of that word. lol

1. Will Apse profile image87
            Will Apseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It is worth remembering that, if you follow the breadcrumbs the wrong way, they lead to the lair of a cannibalistic witch.

...and her name is .... GOOGLE!

2. agvulpes profile image86
          agvulpesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

@Jean to change it just go to the 'edit' mode of the Hub and right at the top you will see the 'Breadcrumbs' and then 'click to edit' then put them in the correct cat. smile

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

Yes, you can and should change them.  Go into the edit mode, and at the top of it, where it shows the existing category, click "edit".  Then click "start over".  The basic topics will appear.  Choose the one that you feel is appropriate.  Another window will open that will allow you to choose a subtopic for it, and so on.  Keep choosing until you find the right one.

In my case, as of yesterday, I had to choose the main topic "Travel and Places",  then "Travel Transportation" and finally "Recreational Vehicles".  The last one is the one that shows as my topic on the hubs, and when you search the main topics menu you have to go through all three levels to find Recreational Vehicles.

It's awkward but is how they have it set up.  Hope this helps.

2. brakel2 profile image72

How can I move a hub from education to neuropsychology which is the third tier, Marisa?

Never mind, as it just got indexed under HP -education and science-psychology and psychiatry.

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
          Jean Bakulaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the advice, everyone who answered. I write a lot about Astrology, but many of my hubs don't fit only that category. I have two series that are fictional, and tell a story about "a day in the life of" or "about the life of" a person of a certain zodiac sign. I finally just called them Astrology, because I couldn't find a way to say they are fiction. Some of them are my favorite hubs.

When they get indexed, they may be different, hopefully.

3. jackclee lm profile image82
    jackclee lmposted 8 years ago

I have problem from the start of choosing the proper category for some of my hubs. It seems there are not enough categories that are specific. Perhaps HubPages should allow for other categories...(user created or Misc.)

Many of us feel the same way.  Choosing categories is very difficult in many instances.

4. profile image0
    ARaineyposted 8 years ago

Good luck with the task you have ahead of you.  Sorry to hear about that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)