God and stomach aches

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (47 posts)
  1. profile image0
    promisemposted 8 years ago

If I have a stomach ache and tell people, they all believe me. If I have a spiritual experience and tell people, many don't believe me.

If both experiences are internal and observable only to me, why does everyone believe my stomach ache but many don't believe my spiritual experience?

1. Oztinato profile image76
      Oztinatoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Good analogy.
      This occurs because people have faith in stomach aches but no faith in God! smile
      Likewise people have faith that a plane they are travelling in won't crash or faith that when they go to sleep they will wake up.
      Also many people are offended by the spiritual experiences of others because it contradicts their own faith in atheism. Such people may claim not to have faith in their atheism but they obviously do believe in it.
      Faith is similar but not identical to a hopeful belief. An atheist "hopefully believes" in atheism. A deeper faith exists for those who have not only a hopeful belief but actual personal spiritual experiences. We can't let others experience our stomach ache or we can't fulfil anothers hunger by eating for them therefore we can't give our spiritual experiences to another by merely telling them about it.

1. profile image0
        promisemposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Do you think you need a spirtual experience in order to believe in God? Or can that experience stand on its own?

The definition of a spiritual experience is something that brings a person nearer to God. The awe and majesty of nature is a spiritual experience but it seems many atheists are in denial about it. Although I have noticed that the majority of online atheists claim to find Buddhism very fulfilling! They use the provisio that its "not a religion " yet it has temples, scriptures, prayers, rituals etc and it is also classed as a religion by every dictionary in the world.

1. Austinstar profile image83
            Austinstarposted 8 years agoin reply to this

What exactly is happening when you have a spiritual experience?

2. wilderness profile image96
            wildernessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

While you may feel that the awe in nature "brings one closer to God", the atheist finds no such reaction.  After all, it doesn't make sense to feel closer to an imaginary creature when viewing the grand canyon or angel falls - such things happen naturally, with well known and understood reasons and there is no reason to postulate an intelligence behind them.

So it's no wonder that the "spiritual" experience doesn't have anything to do with a god to the atheist and no wonder that they deny any such feeling even though they experience the same emotional reaction.  They just don't attribute it to a god, that's all.

What about the great "existential mystery" that has propelled all philosophy for millennia? How do you feel when confronted with the "existential dilemma"? Nothing?? Would that really be an honest answer.
              Also, I don't think you are speaking for all atheists when you say you feel nothing when looking at the majesty and mystery of the universe. I can't imagine any sentient being not feeling something very deep within the essence of their innermost being. It's not like having a cigarette or knocking done a whiskey or placing a bet on a horse; it is far deeper. That inexplicable deepness is your soul calling to you.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
                Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

what does the word GOD actually mean? 

Did Paul Mc Cartney actually have a visit from Mother Mary in writing Let It Be?

When I find myself in times of trouble
                Mother Mary comes to me
                Speaking words of wisdom, let it be.
                And in my hour of darkness
                She is standing right in front of me
                Let it be, let it be.
                Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.
                And when the broken hearted people
                Living in the world agree,
                There will be an answer, let it be.
                For though they may be parted there is
                Still a chance that they will see
                Let it be, let it be. Yeah
                And when the night is cloudy,
                There is still a light that shines on me,
                Shine on until tomorrow, let it be.
                I wake up to the sound of music
                Mother Mary comes to me
                Let it be, let it be.
                There will…

2. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think your premise is wrong.  If you tell people you had a spiritual experience,  most people will believe that you really did experience something in your mind.  But they won't all attribute it to God.

1. profile image0

My premise is that a stomache ache and a spiritual experience are both internal and perceptible only by me and no others.

1. Don W profile image82
          Don Wposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Moreover, both are the same type of belief. We don't say we have a pain, the pain is in our stomach, therefore we have a stomach ache. We simply experience a stomach ache. The belief that we have a stomach ache is therefore grounded in our (apparent) experience of it. Likewise the belief someone had a spiritual experience is not based on reason, it is grounded in their (apparent) experience of it. Apparent in both cases because the senses can be unreliable for various reasons (dreaming, hallucinating, under the influence etc).

The point being that for the subject, there is no difference between their belief they had a spiritual experience yesterday, and their belief they had a stomach ache yesterday. For the believer they are qualitatively the same.

And because experience has such a high epistemic status (beliefs grounded in experience tend to be held more strongly than beliefs formed on the basis of evidence) we do not question such beliefs unless we have a very good reason to. In fact we don't consider them beliefs, but knowledge. No one says I believe I had a stomach ache yesterday, or I believe I had toast for breakfast yesterday. Instead we say I had a stomach ache, or I had toast for breakfast yesterday. Likewise someone would not believe they had a spiritual experience yesterday. For them, they had a spiritual experience yesterday.

You can see all this in action by speaking to anyone who holds religious belief. Most Christians, for example, would say they do not simply believe in god, but they experience god in their lives. It is rare to find someone whose belief in god is formed solely on the basis of evidence. So when a Christian says they know god, they are as certain about that as someone saying they know what they had for breakfast yesterday. Such is the power of belief grounded in (apparent) experience.

3. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

When you have a stomach ache you are claiming something only for yourself that has no effect on how other people see the world.  Thus it is a false comparison.

That said, many people might doubt someone when they claim an ailment if it matters to them for some reason (e.g. you are asking for time of work), malingering and hypochondria do exist.

2. Michaela Osiecki profile image69
    Michaela Osieckiposted 8 years ago

Because a stomach ache has discernible causes that could probably be observed empirically by a medical professional. Your belief in a deity can not.

1. profile image0

You make a valid point, although I have been through a fairly serious medical experience where doctors had no explanation.

Just for clarification, I am not necessarily linking a spiritual experience with a deity. Some states of mind are spiritual but don't require a belief in a deity, especially in Buddhism.

That said, it's easier to detect a stomach ache than a spiritual experience.

1. wilderness profile image96

So you're not talking to a god.  Just an highly emotionally charged reaction to an unusual/unexplained event then? 

What is a "spiritual experience" if not talking to a god?  If you can define that you may find a great many people agreeing with you.

1. profile image0

Godhead, Holy Spirit, numinous, Nirvana and other terms depending on the culture all describe a similar experience as an internal, self-engulfing light that triggers elation or rapture.

So, you are saying that "elation and rapture" equals a "spiritual experience"? Atheists contend that these are merely human emotions and do not prove that a god or god exists. All people may experience these emotions regardless of whatever god or gods that they believe in. Yes, atheists can also experience these emotions without believing in the existence of a god or gods.
            So, yes, I believe you are experiencing "spiritual" emotions, but I don't believe that emotional responses to beauty or complicated math or even "faith healing" equals proof that a god or gods exist. It simply means that you are experiencing emotional feelings, nothing more.

1. profile image0

Not at all. I am saying that elation and rapture are the emotional responses to the purely spiritual part of the experience, i.e., Nirvana.

And yet Nirvana is not reached until we are absolutely calm.

2. wilderness profile image96

Skipping the religious jargon, it seems that "internal, self-engulfing light that triggers elation or rapture" is the meaning that you assign to an event called "spiritual".

Given that, I'd have to say that the large majority of the population has spiritual events in their lives.  Perhaps during sex, perhaps viewing nature, perhaps in a dream.  Maybe in a release from stress, or with the aid of certain drugs.  All are known to produce those feelings.

What about facing the "existential dilemma" itself? Do you acknowledge there is any such existential dilemma?
              If you acknowledge there are lesser rapturous experiences and you also acknowledge that there is in fact an existential dilemma then you are practically admitting you have understood something about your soul and you have left the Wilderness. Wilderness. Are you perhaps another one of the many "atheist Buddhist"? The majority of atheists here admit to a fondness for the Buddhist faith; perhaps you are embracing that faith?

No, I don't really see any existential dilemma.   I don't know enough about buddhism (nothing, really) to embrace it.

Perhaps you need to do some extra curricula activity in this area as everyone is faced with the existential dilemma unless they're in a coma. Then again some comatose patients do recall periods of actual inner consciousness.
                  Therefore unless you are lacking consciousness you must be aware of your own existence.
                  Are you aware of existence?

Being aware of the questions and deciding that they create a "dilemma" are two very different things.  Mankind has the ability to come up with unlimited numbers of questions without answers, usually because the questions very often make assumptions that are not true. 

For example, the question of why we are here or the purpose of life.  Both pre-supposes an intelligence that created us, but that supposition is false and thus the question unanswerable.  A "dilemma" only if that supposition is taken as fact, then.

2. PhoenixV profile image63
      PhoenixVposted 8 years agoin reply to this

What if the person goes to a couple of doctors and they take x-rays or perform tests and determine the cause of the stomach ache is likely caused by an ulcer? Then the person wakes up and realizes that it was all just a very realistic dream? Or the doctors find an ulcer and the person never had a stomach ache, the ulcer never bothered them, yet was lying to get pain medication? Furthermore there's a notion that things are only true if they are observed? I assure you that there are truths unknown and indifferent to what an empiricist believes. There appears to be an inherent logic to reality, otherwise our conversation is pointless. One plus one is two, whether 10 doctors observe it or not. One plus one is two, regardless if anyone is lying or dreaming. The truth stands on it's own. The underlying logic is undeniable. We are just observers of something that is logical and is actualizing.

3. Aime F profile image71
    Aime Fposted 8 years ago

A spiritual experience has far greater implications than a stomach ache.  You saying that you had a spiritual experience relating to God implies that there's a God.  You saying you have a stomach ache implies that maybe you ate too much for lunch.  Most people aren't interested in debating over if you had a suitable quantity of food, whereas the God debate is kind of a big one.

The stomach ache is very specific to you and your body and does not assert any philosophical or religious beliefs.  It's just a temporary physical state.  No one has any reason to argue it.

1. profile image0

You're quite right. I can't remember the last time I had a philosophical argument over stomache aches.  smile

4. Austinstar profile image83
    Austinstarposted 8 years ago

The difference is that you can BOTH believe and factually have a stomach ache. Because you can factually prove that a stomach exists.
    You cannot prove that a "spiritual experience" exists factually. There is no hard evidence - like an actual stomach. There is no such thing as a "spirit". It is only a concept, it's not a THING!
    You can only believe that you are experiencing an ephemeral concept. You cannot say it is a fact, Look up the definition of a "fact".

1. profile image0

I didn't say there is a spirit. I said there is a spiritual experience.

You don't know factually that I have a stomach ache. Only I know it.

+1

2. Austinstar profile image83

And that is why I don't believe you are having a "spiritual experience" - because YOU are the only one that can say that about yourself.
        I can believe you are having a stomach ache because I can run lab tests and MRIs and Ultrasounds and palpate the area and listen to bowel sounds through a stethoscope and quite possibly find a CAUSE for a factual stomach ache.
        I cannot do these things to verify your "spiritual experience".

The Incompleteness Theorem proves science can't answer all questions.
          There are many atheists who can't seem to accept this particularly when discussing such forum topics as this. Science science science marsha marsha marsha same same! smile
          Atheists need to come to grips with the proven limitations of science. Stephen Hawking totally accepts the Incompleteness Theorem why can't you?

When did I or any other scientist say that we can answer every question? Science is a METHOD of STUDY! Science studies the natural world to come up with explanaitions and solutions. Only theists are trying to fuse science with religion in order to prove that santa clause or god exists. Keep trying, I give you A for effort. But science really isn't interested in what you BELIEVE.

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
    Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years ago

Other relevant questions:

What is spirit? what is god?
    What are the definitions of god, God, spirit and Spirit?
    Why is it bad to have many gods ...
       but ONE God is fine?
    If that one God is nothing but a concept, how can we love, be devoted / committed to a CONCEPT?
       and WHY should we be devoted to a concept?
    When Christians say one can be "saved," what does that mean?
    And saved from what ... committing sins?
    What if a person likes committing sins and doesn't see anything wrong with it on a logical level?
        like adultery, theft, cheating in business or politics, etc.

6. Oztinato profile image76
    Oztinatoposted 8 years ago

Ok. We're getting somewhere. One of the things science can't fully study is the spiritual realm and philosophy. Therefore it's impossible to judge others who have had real spiritual experiences.
    Are you still practicing Buddhism? .

No, I do not "practice" any sort of religion. Where do you get that idea? I am a scientist - career, and an atheist - quickly becoming anti-theist because of people like you who keep insisting that you know what I am supposed to do and think. You know nothing and you don't want to learn anything either.

Getting back to my last post: you agree science can't answer everything (re Godels theorem ) so all I'm saying is that spiritual matters can't be FULLY understood by science. Agree?
        PS you told me once or twice you didnt miind getting into an atheist version of Bhuddism. Remember??

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)