New Capsule: Picture Caption

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 8 years ago

Picture captions, alt tags and image attribution are a mess on HP.

Why not introduce a new capsule solely for captions and attribution, entirely separate from the picture and its alt tag?

When a hubber uploads a picture, tell them to add an alt tag. It should be the simplest description of the picture that they can manage. Tell them it is for the benefit of the visually impaired (who use read aloud software) and nothing else.

I would allow no more than 10 characters in the field to keep out anything remotely like keyword stuffing. No HTML to keep out linkspam.

Ideally, a picture caption capsule would magically appear beneath the picture when it was saved to the page. Otherwise, just add the capsule as an option. Tell hubbers that the capsule exists in the alt tag instructions.

The text would be no different to any other text on the page except smaller and sat up to the picture above it.

The image attribution field would say source (as now) and deliver a nofollow link.

1. Venkatachari M profile image83
      Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I don't see any problem in the capsules. I am able to read the captions of images. And regarding links, they have removed the links to be visible to registered members while browsing on hubpages. Only visitors can click on the links and go to the source pages.
      But image captions are clearly visible if you incorporated the caption. It is visible beneath your image and also on the browser while hovering over the image. So, there seems no problem.

Will Apseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The problem is the alt tags. Years ago some blackhat SEO fiends discovered that you could boost a page in the SERPS by stuffing keywords into the alt tags. Google noticed and developed a way to penalize this kind of practice.

Alt tags should only be used for the purpose they were designed for. HP pretty much encourages misuse by making captions into alt tags.

I am unaware of this. I don't know what alt tags are.

1. brakel2 profile image74
            brakel2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

The alt tag is the description of the photo which the Google bots cannot see, thus the description. HP uses the caption for the alt tag. It can be confusing. I added the license to my capsules for the Commons, by the way, and it did not take long.

2. relache profile image73
          relacheposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you Will, but find it highly-unlikely HubPages is going to "wake up" and fix this, given how long it's been a known and complained-about issue. 

Accessibility of the site is something admin says is key, but clearly money-making accessibility trumps universal access for visually-challenged readers.

HP have cost issues, and ease of use issues (they do not want to scare away new writers). I reckon the alt tag issue is important enough to put a small, extra step into the publication process.

We will see what they decide. The last thing we want is cost issues crippling the site.

2. makingamark profile image69
      makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The bit I don't understand about the whole captions/alt tags thing is how what HubPages has done can be reconciled to a source's requirement to attribute the picture and link to it for some images.

Are they saying that no picture can have a proper picture attribution as required by its source (i.e. one which allows its use BUT only on the basis of proper attribution)?

I've checked a few of mine and they seem to have lost their attribution links - which I routinely included.

To my mind it's very poor practice.

I also agree that your solution might be one way out of this craziness - except for the fact that the attribution should at all times remain linked to the picture - otherwise it runs the severe risk of becoming orphaned.

I wonder if anybody on HubPages ever read the "orphaned image" debate re copyright?

The attribution is not lost. It is there. You log out from your account and then visit the page. Then hover the browser on your images. You will find a letter
        " i " on the right hand at  the top corner of your image. Click it and you will see the link and attribution visible to you.

1. makingamark profile image69
          makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

But the "i" does not appear unless your cursor hovers over it.  In other words if you just LOOK at the image you see nothing.

I would interpret this as meaning it is "hidden"

2. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 8 years ago

As long as there is correct attribution somewhere on page and it is clear which pic is being attributed that is fine.

HP are fine with attributions at the foot of the page, so they clearly understand this.

The main issue is to keep alt tags clean of any spamminess. The secondary issue is persuading hubbers to do the right thing.

A clear two stage process is a little more time consuming but it is (almost) foolproof. Even a first time user should understand what is happening and why.

For anyone interested in the subject here are a few hundred pages on keyword stuffing in alt tags:

https://www.google.co.th/webhp?sourceid … alt%20tags

Writer Fox says description of photo should be in caption and very brief in length with no keyword stuffing. He also says, per SEO, not to have a title for the photo to avoid more keyword stuffing. I put the source and photographer and now, the license in the source box, or whatever the site requires.. Other sources quoted here mention a very brief description in caption. Example: Man drinking Diet Coke, or Swimmer Riding the Ocean Waves. alt tag

There is nothing wrong with captions that are just plain text, except perhaps that they can also encourage repetition of keywords.

Having H2 headers in picture capsules, on the other hand  is bad practice partly because they encourage hubbers to add extra keywords to the page in an unnecessary way.

I also think H2 headers are an especially sensitive area because Google gives them extra weight when deciding what the page is about.

We can't be sure how Google operates its anti keyword stuffing algos but using an H2 is pretty much like shouting.

I try to minimize the use of keywords in any possibly sensitive area like alt tags, H2 headers, bolded or italic text and anchor text.

I wouldn't go mad on this, of course, you need to be give your readers the info they are looking for.

Natural English usage should do the trick. Overly optimized old style SEO written pages are a bad idea these days.

Thanks, Will, for this additional explanation. Now, if hubbers would use these suggestions, photo capsules could improve. You have been a big help.

I try. Sometimes...

By the way, could you give a link to the Matt Cutts video?

2. DrMark1961 profile image96
          DrMark1961posted 8 years agoin reply to this

H2?

H2 is a secondary heading, such as the photo title. Note; I just read an article with a video by Matt Cutts that indicated a photo should not have a title and that all words should be in the alt tag (description). Why does HP have a photo capsule title if that is true?.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
              DrMark1961posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.
              That comment from Matt Cutts is interesting. Blogger, which is owned by Google, has a place to leave captions but also includes alt tags. I think they should be separate but both included.

He said a photo does not need a title, so you are correct. Many folks apparently do use both. Keyword stuffing is the issue to avoid.

1. Elsie Hagley profile image70
                  Elsie Hagleyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for sorting this out, I now understand,
                  I will remove the titles from my photos as it is adding to keyword stuffing unnecessary.

2. Will Apse profile image87

H2 headers in picture capsules are, at the very least, an unnecessary temptation for hubbers to mess up!

Some hubbers even use a pic at the top of a page which has the keywords in the H2 header and the alt tag/caption.

They then start the text with the keywords...

This gives you the keywords four times in straight succession before the end of the first sentence ---Title, H2, alt tag, first sentence. Not a great start.

If people add an H3 sub header with keywords at the start of the text, that gives you 5 straight repetitions, four of them in areas Google pays special attention to.

I cannot relocate that video, but the issue was about avoiding keyword stuffing, if you use a title tag for an image, as you explained above. I believe I erred if I said the video said to not use a title on an image.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)