Anybody else noticed the change in hub scores?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (56 posts)
  1. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 8 years ago

I've been making a screendump of my overall hub stats each day to try and keep track of what's going on so I can work out "what works on HubPages" and what doesn't. The aim is to determine some sort of priority about what to do next.

Up until now I've been focused on the traffic data and the endless emails about unfeatured hubs

Now what I've noticed is the really BIG differences in hub scores which seem to bear little relationship to whether or not a hub is featured.  About which absolutely nothing has been said that I'm aware of.

To characterise communication around here as being confusing and contradictory and completely missing is an understatement.

1. tsmog profile image83
      tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Unsure if this helps or not? This is from when I deleted all my Hubs at the first of the year. Now, I have only 7, so that data probably will not contribute. However for perusal below is a summary of that csv file. Bear in mind my social media / Google traffic was 67% / 33%.

Status → Hub Cnt → Score Avg → 30-Day Traffic → Ever Traffic
      Featured → 82 → 73 → 95% → 68%
      UnFeaturd → 39 → 67→ 5% → 32%
      Grand Total → 121 → 71 → 100% → 100%

1. peachpurple profile image81
        peachpurpleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

may I know how did you get that scores? I don't find them in my hub stats

1. tsmog profile image83
          tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hello peachpurple :-) Do you mean the overall Hub Score average?  It is at the bottom of the individual Hub Scores at the 'My Account Page'. As far as the average for Featured and Unfeatured I download that page with the .csv download queue located just above the Edit queues at the left of the stats. It will become a spreadsheet if you have MS Excel. If I am just doing a quicky for this or that I use that .csv file spreadsheet. I do the math myself. If I want to do something extensive I 'save as' an Excel File format.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 8 years ago

I hadn't looked at my hub scores for about four years.

It might be good if they replaced them with a ranking system of a chicken, a hamster and a boiled egg.

Then it would be more useful.

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
      SmartAndFunposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
      LuisEGonzalezposted 8 years agoin reply to this

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12738786_f248.jpg

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12738787_f248.jpg

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12738788_f248.jpg

1. Jodah profile image91
        Jodahposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Funny smile

3. TessSchlesinger profile image61
      TessSchlesingerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Good idea. smile Possibly more informative, too. smile

3. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 8 years ago

I am about to slump into the unacceptable eighties after being in the nonchalant nineties for years.

I reckon the crackdown on Amazon is to blame.

I cannot even imagine what the seventies are about.

makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think you're talking about Hubber score and I was talking about hub scores. I usually pay no attention to them as they've always struck me as being pretty meaningless however they are currently excelling on that score

1. Jodah profile image91
        Jodahposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I misread that as well. Yes with hub scores I have noticed no correlation between scores and featured status. I have hubs with scores of 65 featured and hubs as high as 89 not featured. Obviously engagement is the key.

2. Will Apse profile image87
        Will Apseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think hubber score comes directly out of page scores, so I was partially on the ball, if a little fuddled (birthday party).

4. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

My hub score was up to 95, but alternating between that and down to 89 for a few weeks. Since the change of domains it dropped to 85 the lowest for about two years. Has since risen again to 89 but I have been editing some older hubs, deleting Amazon capsules etc so don't know if that has had any effect.

5. ILoveLegosToo profile image84
    ILoveLegosTooposted 8 years ago

I would have hoped that a Hub Score and a Hubber Score would indicate how well you comply with the site rules.  The scores would then give you an indication of you doing something right or something wrong. 

Unfortunately, it feels more like a high school popularity contest.  I feel this way because I used to have Hub Scores above 90, now those same hubs barely make it out of the 70's.  As your Hubber Score goes lower and lower, it drags down your Hub Score, which makes your Hubber Score go lower, which drags down your Hub Score...

Not sure how to stop the spiral...updating doesn't get you a better score, more traffic since the domain change made the scores go lower, decreasing the number of violations made the scores go down, decreasing the number of bad links made the scores go down, and so on...

6. Silva Hayes profile image77
    Silva Hayesposted 8 years ago

I noticed this: generally, if I was notified of a hub that suddenly became unfeatured, and I deleted the Amazon capsule, the hub then became featured.

1. TessSchlesinger profile image61

I think Google doesn't like product articles as it sees them as marketing ploys. I seldom, if ever, write about products. To date, have never had an unfeatured article. My hub scores range from 70 to 99. My hubber score from about 93 to 97.

1. ILoveLegosToo profile image84
        ILoveLegosTooposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I disagree that Google doesn't like product articles.  I have several in my portfolio that do quite well this time of year despite the restrictions imposed here and a really low hub score. 

I really don't know what HP is chasing with all the restrictions as no one looking for a list of Halloween costumes or gift guides wants a 300 word oratory on the subject, they want to see ideas and where to find them for sale.   Too bad, because it blends in well with a lot of other articles.

Um, your hubber score is 48. We were talking about hub scores and hubber scores. There has to be a reason for the scores, and that reason has to be related to how well they would do or whether they're about popular or unpopular topics or whether they fit with google specifications. I don't know what those specifications are, but they aren't thumbsucked. sad

Actually the thread is all about HUB scores (I know - I started it!)

For some reason people don't seem to understand that a hub score is not the same thing as a hubber score - hence lots of irrelevant comments.

I realize that, and I know the difference, but we don't know that the hubber score isn't affected by the hub scores, and I can't see your hubscores. In any event, if your hubber score if 48, what's your average score for your hubs. If they were all 100, then I am befuddled. I've just always assumed that the hubscore and the hubber score, while not the same thing, are related. I might be wrong, of course.

I'm not sure they are - I've seen much bigger movements on hub scores (i.e. the topic of this thread) than hubber scores.

Mind you that's only my perspective - others might have a different experience

2. ILoveLegosToo profile image84
            ILoveLegosTooposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Really?  I have traffic and sales on hubs with scores much lower than my hubber score that shows the relationship between hub scores and hubs google sends traffic to have no relationship whatsoever.   I also have hubs with scores much higher than my hubber score that receive no traffic at all.  It really is too bad that the scores don't reflect reality.

3. DrMark1961 profile image98
            DrMark1961posted 8 years agoin reply to this

You have that very wrong. When hubber scores were based on traffic, I always had 100, as did relache and many others. Now that it is not my hubber score has dropped, but my writings have not changed, nor has the average hub score.
            It has nothing to do with success with google. The scores are given without rhyme or reason.

The scores are not without rhyme or reason. While you may not know what those reasons are, they are there. And none of my scores have dropped, so I'm trying to help here and see where the differences are But I'll butt out.

7. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 8 years ago

I use my own scoring system and do not waste time worrying about HP's meaningless numbers.

Here's my system:

Featured and getting traffic = 100
    Unfeatured = 0

That's all there is to it. Why waste time and mental energy trying to play HP's silly score game when it has been pointed out over and over that HP's scoring system is a meaningless mystery?

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. DrMark1961 profile image98

Is your scoring system patented? If not, I think we all need to use it.
      I have to check when someone brings this subject up, and the results are amazing. After edit by the HubPro, and after over a quarter million views, I have a hub with a 65. Another, that has sat quietly and only has 2000 views after over 3 years, I have a hub score of 91.
      Make any sense?
      If your scoring system is patented I think I will have to go with the hamster and egg scoring system.

8. Ilonagarden profile image90
    Ilonagardenposted 8 years ago

I, too, have been trying to stem the fall of my scores. Sometimes updating simply results in unfeatured status.

I've been correcting some of the unfeatured hubs by deleting most all of the links and ebay capsules, and getting rid of Amazon capsules even when there is no alert that there are too many ( coming from Squidoo, that has been a problem with my hubs).

I used to be that updating, commenting, etc. would raise my profile score, but that doesn't seem to correlate any more.

I have been removing hubs that I could not get featured no matter what I did. Maybe removing those hubs resulted in a lower profile score.

I can say that traffic does not figure into either the hubscore or the featured status on certain of my hubs, maybe all of them.

1. sallybea profile image94
      sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I seem to have managed to maintain the same average for months.  The changes seem to have made little or no difference.

1. Ilonagarden profile image90
        Ilonagardenposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Have you deleted any of your hubs?

1. sallybea profile image94
          sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No, have not deleted any of my hubs.

9. Will Apse profile image87

And I thought I drove people crazy with my egotism...

1. DrMark1961 profile image98

I was tempted to make a nasty reply when I read that egotistical comment (how dare we use HER thread for something that we feel is important!) but I thought I would leave it to the HP forum moderators. Isnt what their job is all about?

...as opposed to starting a new thread for something you feel is important rather than derailing the existing one?

"Stick to the Topic: Please stay on the thread’s topic when replying to an existing thread. If you don’t see an open thread about something you’d like to discuss, please open a new thread."
        http://hubpages.com/faq/#forums-violations

Since you are such an authority on the information contained in the FAQ, you should consult them before starting a thread. Maybe then HRH would not even feel it necessary.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image61

Are you talking about me? Wow.

1. Will Apse profile image87
        Will Apseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, that was one of those moments when real life interfered with the virtual world. I was halfway through some comment not especially aimed at anyone when the phone rang and I just abandoned it. Must have hit submit by mistake.

10. ILoveLegosToo profile image84
    ILoveLegosTooposted 8 years ago

My hubber score dropped to 46 today (only thing I did was make a few comments on the forums), so I must know less than I did yesterday when it was 48.  It really hits a nerve when your judged by your score and not the experiences you bring to the table.

Anyways, back to the topic on hand.  I think it's ridiculous that I don't have a single hub with a score over 75, when those same hubs had scores in the 90s not more than a year ago.  That tells me something is broken with the scoring system.  I also know what works with what I want to share, and can see the results even with featured hubs whose scores are in the 30s.  I'm sure at some point these will become unfeatured, but for now, they bring in traffic and you can see the clickouts so they provide value.  An article doesn't need to have thousands of words to be quality, it needs to have focus and deliver what is promised in the title.

Did you miss the thread when they explained how they were changing the scoring system and everybody's hub scores would drop as a result?

1. Solaras profile image96
        Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Everybody knows hub scores and hubber score are meaningless. Look at your own Hubber Score to see the validity of that statement.

I could not understand those negative comments about hubber score to ILoveLegosToo. That person bragging about her score in the high 90s can drop to his level before she knows it, and then she will complain that the system is flawed.
          (BTW, I thought the system was fine back when I had 100!)

I have no clue why mine stays in the 90s.  No reason for it at all; my Hub Scores all blow.  Maybe we are in an alternate universe where fair is foul and foul is fair.

I have an alternative back yard that I visit when I get tired of seeing my hubber score. All of my fowl smell fowl, and since my hubber score keeps going down I have to visit that back yard a lot.

I had forgotten about your fowl and their feed; seems B used to pay for their food. Are they fancy fowl? Please post photos - elsewhere of course lol.

Definitely NOT fancy. I have a big flock of guinea fowl (a type of chicken from Africa) because they fly and can escape all normal predators, as long as they come home at night.
                  I have some pictures of them over at my Pinterest board about chickens.
                  (You do realize I will probably get reported and banned from the forums for even mentioning this, right?)

I have a friend with Guinea hens, or at least she had them. They eat ticks, and she was having an issue with them (ticks).  Sadly they can't escape border collie predators. I know she had lost a lot of hens the last time we talked about them. They are pretty birds!

They should not ban you, cause I can't find your chicken board. lol

11. Solaras profile image96
    Solarasposted 8 years ago

The Forums used to be a lot of fun, lively and informative.  We all understood "Threaded" and we could launch into discussions about chocolate chip cookies or whatever with brief tangential excursions, induced by the natural flow of conversation. 

Then Forum Nazis arrived to tell us how to converse with each other.  Like some perversion of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang or Gradgrind in Hard Times.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  I don't need telling this that and the other - no matter how much the teller thinks of their own opinion.

12. Will Apse profile image87

I just plummeted into the awful eighties.

Woe is me.

I know the culprit pages but they are good earners and they are staying.

Have you been updating your hubs as advised, to help re-index them?  That will usually do it.

13. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 8 years ago

Supposedly the hubscore is reliant mainly on traffic as well as a few other factors such as whether it was actually read... However there is only one factor that bothers me and that is how much traffic does the hub get from Google.. Anything else quite frankly is irrelevant. If google likes it, and the readers like it then I don't give a rat's hoot about whether it has a high score or not.......
    I see scores that vary by 15 points from one day to the next when nothing is changed. Hubs for which changes that should improve them result in 10 point drops in scores and so forth... So why bother about them!!
    I have lost track of the number of threads that there have been over the years moaning about them..

1. Susana S profile image92
      Susana Sposted 8 years agoin reply to this

HP significantly reduced the impact of traffic on scores some time back. There was an announcement about it.

But yeah, the important things is that hubs are doing well, scores are meaningless.

1. Chriswillman90 profile image90
        Chriswillman90posted 8 years agoin reply to this

100% agree. I mean yeah I guess it's nice to see a score in the 90's or even that perfect 100 but so what if it doesn't see any traffic. It's great if your main purpose is to perfect your hub/writing skills but not so much if you want some views/money out of it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)