What the????? is Going on Here??

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (21 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years ago

I don't make a lot of Amazon earnings/sales/referrals.  I've had perhaps a maximum of 3 since I opened that affiliate account back in 2010.

Today, I had to go in and change my email address on Amazon to the current one I gave them by phone, for shipping a return label.  (My prior attempt to change it a couple of years ago did not 'take,' and then I forgot about it.)

I don't know if that is what caused the issue, or not, but when I went into my affiliate account, there was this message:

"Alert Account Closed
    This account is closed and will not generate referrals. Access to this site is for historical purposes only."

I never closed the account  manually or by choice.  What is going on here?  Did changing the e-mail address there cause this problem?  Or did they do that before, (and without warning),  because I did not generate enough income for them?

1. Jodah profile image91
      Jodahposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This is disturbing MsLizzy. I should go and check out my account as well as I have had an affiliate account for about three years and never made a sale. This may explain why. If our accounts have been closed any Amazon ads we place on our hubs is for nothing. (Even though they keep reducing the number we can have anyway)

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

This is an interesting situation for me. 

Awhile back I had a blog and used my Amazon affiliate account with it, but never made the first sale.

About a year ago I published a book there and did make some sales, but haven't had any in quite some time because I have done zero marketing.

I haven't heard from them, but if a dormant account is cause for closure, then I've got a real problem because if I do make a sale of a book, I won't get paid!  This really sucks!  It means I did all that work for nothing!

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You could always republish the book on BookTango instead, which will get it distributed to a wider variety of bookstores.  Since your book is already formatted it shouldn't be too hard to do, or you can pay them to do it for you.

3. brakel2 profile image73
      brakel2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

My account is closed, and I may have received an email that i never read. We are therefore not a part of the HP Amazon program, i guess. I only had a few sales, so never made payout. Thanks for the heads up..

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

Yes you are, the HP Amazon program is separate.  Just make sure you have your Earnings Settings correct and that you are using the HP program, not your own.

http://hubpages.com/community/forum/134 … ost2787036

4. bravewarrior profile image88
      bravewarriorposted 8 years agoin reply to this

When you changed your email address with Amazon, you should have done the same in your HP Amazon linked address. I had to go through this process when I changed IP carriers. I learned the hard way (after months of updating my address all across the web) to never again attach my email to my Internet Provider Service. Stick with GMail and  you won't have the problems I encountered.,

DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It is G-mail; it used to be Yahoo--that was the change I made.  However, my HP e-mail is tied to the one I use for PayPal, as it has to be, and I changed it on amazon to the OTHER g-mail account I use for my personal mail, as that's what I gave them by phone for a product replacement..

I guess that was a mistake--however, it's been a LONG time since I even tried to sign in to my Amazon account, since I can't shop there (they don't take PayPal, and we don't have credit cards), so I don't know if the account closure happened some time back, or just with this recent change...  Oh well...

I've never used the e-mail that 'comes with' our ISP....

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
    Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years ago

A few months ago Amazon sent out emails notifying affiliates to verify that their sites were child friendly and we had to confirm that. Did you get such an email? If you did not confirm "child friendly" (or something like that) the account might have been closed then.

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
    Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years ago

I found the email I had received from Amazon:

COPPA NOTICE - Children's Online Privacy Protection Act
    Our records show that you have not completed the declaration confirming that none of your websites are directed at children under the age of 13. This declaration is a mandatory requirement for participation in the Amazon Associates Program, and as such, your payments have been placed on hold as of August 31, 2015. On October 31, 2015, your account will be closed if your declaration has not been completed. Any final funds payable will be issued via the payment method we have on file. Once your account is closed it cannot be reopened.

Take Action Now

To complete the declaration:
    1. Sign in to your Associates Central account at: https://affiliate-program.amazon.com
    2. Click on “Account Settings”, then click on “Edit your website list”
    3. Ensure 'Your website list’ is accurate – by adding new websites or removing existing ones from the list.
    4. Click on “Next” and complete the declaration process.

If you have questions or issues regarding your Amazon Associates website list, please contact Amazon Associates Customer Service

Oh, damn... Well, since I had tried to change my e-mail address over a year ago, and it did not seem to 'take,'   I left it be; (got sidetracked and forgot), but that e-mail account was on Yahoo, which was becoming problematic, and I abandoned that e-mail, changing to a g-mail account.
      I can't even get back into the old one anymore...So, I guess that might explain why I never saw any such notice to confirm anything.  Crud!

I guess I will just leave it, and end up forfeiting the meager $$ I have earned, because it seems that it is too late now, anyway.  I think I have made all of about $15 total over the years, on only 3 sales--very sporadic--certainly not once every 90 days--more like one in a year...

4. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 8 years ago

Phyllis's explanation could be the reason.  Also, a while back before they did the website-not-aimed-at-children declaration thing they also said they were going to close accounts with only sporadic sales, I think the threshold was 90 days without a sale.  So your account might have been closed for that reason a long time ago.  When was the last time you checked it?

I don't think there's anything to prevent you from creating a new Amazon Associates account with a new email if you think you can sell at least one item every 90 days. And if you do don't forget to do the declaration thing.

Yeah--I even tried to look up past earnings--it said something about the page being for "historical reference only,"  but I couldn't even change the date range to find out if I did have any back earnings--as soon as I filled out the dates, the box disappeared before I even had a chance to check on "apply dates"
      BAH!
      So, if I did open a new account, then I have to start all over with HP, deleting and re-doing associate # etc..  the heck with it--wasn't worth diddly squat, anyway,.

1. Jodah profile image91
        Jodahposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I tried to sign in to Amazon and it won't even accept my email address and password, so I take it that is proof my account has been cancelled. I won't bother reapplying or placing any Amazon ads on hubs.

Yeah--me either..  I'll probably gradually go through my hubs and remove all the Amazon capsules....pain in the drain...

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

No you don't, because you're using HubPages' Amazon account, not your own -  I hope.

Go and check your Earnings page. Under "Settings", does your Amazon account start with "hubacct..."?

If it does, then you're being paid for your Amazon ads through the HubPages Earnings Program, not directly on your own Amazon account.  Which is probably why they closed your account, if you're not using it on any other sites, because you won't have made a sale for years.

http://hubpages.com/help-answer/affilia … on-signup/

Ohh..okay.  Yes, it starts with "hubacct..." and says 'active.'  Whew.  I wasn't looking forward to that task!  Thanks, Marisa!

I thought it was all the same thing, since I've never used it elsewhere, and HP was the reason I signed up for the affiliate program to start with, so when it said 'account closed,' I thought I was "doomed" here..  wink

5. profile image0
    Snakesmumposted 8 years ago

I had the same message as DzyMsLizzy, but since I've never made a sale with Amazon, I just left the account as deleted.   If any sales are made on HP, then it will be shared revenue with them. 
    Can't remember ever seeing the child safe email that Phyllis mentioned.

6. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 8 years ago

I never knew this! I had better go check mine, I wondered why I hadn't had an sales lately!

7. firstcookbooklady profile image84
    firstcookbookladyposted 4 years ago

So, if you get ** in the Amazon spot, where do the sales $$ go? PayPal?

1. Titia profile image91
      Titiaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Did you realize you commented on a 3 year old post?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)