Why the Apple 'AdBlocker' will transform income streams

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (21 posts)
  1. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 8 years ago

An interesting article - definitely worth a read. The notion is that Apple is targeting Google and newspapers, blogs and sites like this will be collateral damage.

A proxy war: Apple ad-blocking software scares publishers but rival Google is target

Those who depend on income from adverts might like to devise a back-up plan.

1. Pop Culture World profile image83
      Pop Culture Worldposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If people will be blocking ads, then they should be blocked from reading the associated content. If enough sites came together to ban such apps, then perhaps the software wouldn't be so popular.

1. paradigmsearch profile image58
        paradigmsearchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The good news... Yahoo email won't let you access your account if you are using an ad blocker.

The bad news... Yahoo has the most obnoxious ads in the industry and has been famous for such since the birth of the internet.

Oh, well...

Meanwhile, don't ever get a Yahoo account.

1. DrMark1961 profile image97
          DrMark1961posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yahoo has ads? Funny, I never noticed them.
          Do you know why? I use the power every adult has to ignore that which I do not want.
          Those of you that depend on an ad blocker deserve the new Apple i-spoon, a product that will feed you your pablum without having to use your hands. (All you have to do is sign up for their TOS.)

Kind of hard to ignore...

1. Bandwidth-clogging video ads that effectively sabotage attempts to scroll or pagedown.

2. Expanding ads that go outside the original location and cover up the page, including the mail you are trying to read.

3. Pop ups, same result as item #2.

lol

2. Solaras profile image95
            Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

LOL

2. Pop Culture World profile image83
          Pop Culture Worldposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I swear Yahoo Mail has gotten really bad since my college days. It used to be reliable. Now it stalls/gets stuck a lot and looks too junky.

I think of Yahoo almost the way other people think of AOL now.

3. lisavollrath profile image94
          lisavollrathposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I use an ad blocker, and I can access my Yahoo mail accounts just fine.

I just checked. You are right!

I guess there was a revolt or something and Yahoo stopped doing that. I've been switching back and forth between my usual browser and a non ad block browser for the last couple months. Thanks, I can stop having to do that! smile smile smile

2. NateB11 profile image88
        NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1

3. Chriswillman90 profile image91
        Chriswillman90posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I concur though some of our ad companies get too "in your face" happy with their advertising. I don't like to be bombarded with ads that slow things down and are irrelevant to what I'm reading.

However they also serve a purpose for those writers or other content creators who rely on it for income. For example, I always see people on YouTube feeling so slick for using ad blockers when viewing content yet they don't realize what they're doing to the creators they enjoy watching.

What do they think will happen if everyone begins using ad blocking software? The problem is they don't or they're too young and stupid enough to realize it.

makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

On the other hand just think what might happen to the practices of advertisers if people block their adverts.

The new adblockers which allow through some adverts based on curation by the reader is interesting as it will soon indicate which adverts do badly with readers.

2. paradigmsearch profile image58
    paradigmsearchposted 8 years ago

That's an excellent article. You are right, things not looking good on the CPM front.

3. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 8 years ago

I have an alternative browser that is already blocking threads in this forum where people are debating advertising because it thinks the content is ads due to the use of trigger words in the URLs.

People need to stop acting like this is coming, and act like it's happening.

1+

Do tell about the browser! smile

4. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 8 years ago

A part of me welcomes the death of unwanted ads in my face slowing down load time.
    But since we rely on income here, what is the solution then? Text links to affiliate products?
    I wonder what the staff have planned...

That's what I mean about having a back-up plan.

HubPages HQ can mull over as much as they like about their strategy for what sort of adverts they'll allow on the site - but the reality is that if the trend on ad-blocking continues then they have a very serious problem as to ongoing baseline funding.

5. agvulpes profile image87
    agvulpesposted 8 years ago

Ads will just become part of the 'content' think 'native ads' and 'sponsered content' ?
    I'm confident that HP will have a Plan B in mind ?

6. Solaras profile image95
    Solarasposted 8 years ago

An argument could be made that ad blocking software infringes on our copyright.  That was the argument between Disney and Dish's Hopper which allowed users to automatically skip over commercials of recorded programs.  They settled out of court, with a "4 day after airing" suspension of the Hopper's capabilities.

The issue was never actually settled in court.  Our ad space is part of our article.  It is what pays for the content to be produced and reside on the Internet for the edification of the universe. A class action lawsuit might produce a compromise.  Such as: only blocking popup ads, or sites that have too many ads per pages are fair game for blocking, while modest advert numbers are unmolested?

7. SheilaMilne profile image92
    SheilaMilneposted 8 years ago

I see at the very end of the article, the author says, "Ad blocking has been around for almost as long as the web, and yet most people still view most ads. If the sky is falling, it has taken a long time to hit the ground."

Apparently broadcasters thought in 2005 that when viewers could fast-forward through ads, TV advertising would be doomed.  We still have them.

8. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 8 years ago

The majority of UK mobile operators are looking at blocking ads at the network level. If they succeed, it will spread.

https://www.google.com/search?q=uk%20ph … &rct=j

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)