Are hubbers bored?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (51 posts)
  1. Jellyrug profile image62
    Jellyrugposted 14 years ago

Just wondering?

I got pointed to hubs, to try and correct someone who hates superbikes, being a superbiker myself. Actually ended up posting a couple of hubs in the process.

Right now I'm finishing a three year assignment in a remote spot in the Pacific, so for once I have too much time on my hands. Once I am back in the mainland, there will be no time for this, simply too much other stuff going on.

So, I'm wondering, why would people publish hubs, if they could work, play golf, go cycling, go rock climbing, go to the movies, ride motorcycles, or have parties instead?

In short, what causes hub addiction?

1. profile image0
      annvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I cannot work right now, so this will give me a little money.  I kind of enjoy it sometimes though.  Believe me, I would much rather be out doing something I would really enjoy doing.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Excellent question. There are Hubbers who are writers, and they're probably introverts whose idea of heaven is sitting alone in their study, gazing out over a spectacular sunset. They'd rather write than do anything else!

Then there are the Hubbers who want to make money, and this is another avenue. 

I'm more like you!   I was a prolific writer in my teens when illness prevented me doing much else.  I even wrote a full-length novel. As soon as I got up and mobile, I stopped writing and didn't give it a second thought until a couple of years ago, when I was in a boring, caretaker-style job and needed something to do.  That's why I've only written 80-odd Hubs in 2 years - writing is fun, but I'd rather be dancing!

3. chucky12 profile image58
      chucky12posted 14 years agoin reply to this
    4. Pamda Man profile image59
      Pamda Manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why would you do that??? You ended up being controlled by the other guy.

Jellyrugposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You be the referee of the outcome, it depends which side of the fence you are sitting on. All I know is we had a whole lot of fun with Mr. Licino, both in my hub and his.

5. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL

This is what I do for a living.

And yes, it becomes boring after a while. I keep myself awake and alert by arguing with religious nutcases (and the occasional rational one). big_smile

1. quicksand profile image82
        quicksandposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. profile image0
        \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He means me there don't you Mark

3. frogdropping profile image78
        frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

... so you found one?

As for me - because I choose to. I lead an interesting life and HP puts my ass on a seat. Otherwise I'd be on the move.

And there's really nothing worse than a prowling frog. Apart from a sulking Grim Reaper.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58

A couple actually - and the discussions are worth it. wink

Have you read "Mort" by Terry Pratchett?

1. frogdropping profile image78

Many times. Terry Pratchett is attracted to me. Did you not know that? It's a frog thing smile

Sounds like a Terry Pratchett thing to me. wink

1. frogdropping profile image78

Though I think he'd blame the Luggage ...

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

Yes I have, in fact I have a hard cover copy

Probably his best book, I think. The whole idea is brilliant.

2. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I guess it is the best place for writers to be read, the community is marvelous, and as many of us have to work online all day anyway, we write our hubs like you have and still have time for other activity. Also you will see that it is a great place to learn. There are so many different styles and types of work here that make it fascinating to read on whatever you like.

3. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Bascially cant work and Im a long way from home .

Trust me these many other things Id love to be doing.

I look at it like large airport terminal , people come n go ,so I might as well make myself comfortable while Im waiting too. smile

4. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Writing on HubPages isn't necessarily an "addiction" - so that's one point.

People who enjoy writing don't write because they're bored.  They write because they enjoy writing.  I've done a lot of writing that's what other people want, rather than what I feel like writing.  As someone who enjoys writing, writing what other people want (for work) isn't the same thing.  A site like HubPages gives people who enjoy writing a place to write (and earn for what is often "hobby writing").  For people who enjoy writing, writing is something you can do that's "just for you".  It's precisely because I have no time to be bored that I take some time for myself and do something I enjoy (while watching tv or DVD at the same time). 

I'm sure some people may write because they have nothing better to do; but for people who truly enjoy writing, they'll make the time to write even when it would seem they have little time for it.

5. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

I write (especially here on HP) because no one would hire me after we moved in April and AdSense has at least paid me once in the past.  But I'm not bored with it.  If I were to suddenly become financially independent--say two or three million in the sock under the mattress--I'd undoubtedly be writing less because I'd be building a house to replace this aging camp trailer.

But I write primarily for the joy of writing.  Along the way, various people have told me that this or that Hub (or other writing, in the past) has helped them in some specific manner. When that happens, I realize I'm doing what I'm meant to do, if you will.

My favorite author is the late Robert Jordan, author of The Wheel of Time fantasy series.  He stated long ago that he'd still be writing as they were pounding the nails into his coffin.  That turned out to be a self fulfilling prophesy; he died young, before he could finish the series.

I echo his sentiment.  As long as I can find a keyboard, a pen, the stub of a worn out pencil, or an old lipstick, I will write.  I couldn't be bored if I wanted to, and I do not see it as an addiction.

6. charm_baker profile image56
    charm_bakerposted 14 years ago

Just like there are different degrees of everything else in life, there are different degrees of writers and there are different degrees of Hubbers.  When people are smart enough to use such a wholesome and healthy outlet as a solution to whatever there issue is,it doesn't matter what the motivation is.  It is what it is.  WE LIVE, WE BREATHE, WE THINK, WE REACT, THEREFORE WE WRITE!

7. Lisa HW profile image62

I have to say I'm neither the very introverted type nor the money-only type.  Writing is one of the things I enjoy in an otherwise not-particularly-introverted life.  I think there's a lot of casual/hobby writing that falls between "only writing because I have nothing else to do" and "writing because I don't do anything else".

(charmbaker, I like your answer and only saw it after I hit "submit" on mine.  I agree about "different degrees".)

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

Thanks for that insight Lisa.  I came to the conclusion I was the odd man out, and that most writers were introverts, when someone posted a question on the Harlequin forum - "what's your idea of the perfect home?"

99% of the replies imagined a solitary house by the sea or in the mountains, with a study perched on the top floor overlooking the view - and peace and quiet to enjoy it.  In other words, a setting I would have found unbearably lonely! 

I am an introvert, actually - I'm just one of those odd introverts that needs to be amongst people.  And I like to feel my body moving.

8. cynthiaalise profile image59
    cynthiaaliseposted 14 years ago

I am just enjoying the heck out of the whole process.  I think that there is a lot that can be said and done.

9. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

I'm self-employed, so I can pretty much do whatever the hell I want.

1. beautyrose profile image62
      beautyroseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I also like writing but time is my problem since I work in school most of the time lols.

10. Lisa HW profile image62

Marisa, I don't know about anybody else, but that's one big difference between all those "solitude people" and me.  Mountains and woods make me claustrophobic because they're suffocating in their own way; and if I ever get my home by the ocean there will be plenty of guest rooms and a nice, big, dining room for entertaining.  smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

Me too!

1. blondepoet profile image66
        blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh boy tell me when you have it, I would love to come and stay, I promise not to break anything. smile

1. Lisa HW profile image62
          Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok - I've got Marisa's name and your name on my list for the second gathering.  (The first will be a family get-together to celebrate the new Summer home.)  I should probably tell you, though, about as close as I am to that house on the ocean is a box of dishes I've put away and said, "These are for my Summer house on the ocean some day."    hmm  Well, now I have the beginnings of my guest list too.  That's progress.   smile

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
            Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh Lisa add me pleeeeease, I love the ocean , my middle name means Ocean, and and and I make the best kiwi smoothies and arabica lattes smile

That's another name for the "invite" list.  (Just don't buy the ingredients for the smoothies and lattes quite yet.  I'm fairly certain the expiration dates could become a problem.)   smile   I just looked up "Lisa", and apparently (and oddly) it means, "my God is a vow".  That's not sounding very party-like, so I looked up my middle name.  Apparently, it means "light" (still not boding well for this ocean-side shindig).  That's ok.  I have that box of dishes and a dream.  Party's on - but the date remains uncertain.   smile

Oh nooooo...the Ocean is forever bathed in Light , that is the perfect namefor the Hostess with the Mostess smile

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2289/2347864266_ec6f387111.jpg

Oooh - beautiful picture.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt107/MBBalka/Beach%20Connected/beachfiltered.jpg   

(I hope erosion doesn't get to this one before I buy the sign the papers and buy the paper products.  Actually, I'll need to get new dishes if I buy this one.  The dishes I have wouldn't be right in this place.  smile  )

Ohhhhh...wow close my eyes , I am there!

2. Jellyrug profile image62

Sheeez. When I started this thread I posed the question about why not party instead of hubbing? The next thing you know, the gals have a party coming up under a full moon over the ocean. Company and ocean looks real cool, it's that full moon I'm worried about. Will there be a magic potion and a dance?

Its always magic when the girls party smile the moon ,well, I feel energised by the moon .

2. blondepoet profile image66
            blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Woo hooo am totally wrapped....

11. blondepoet profile image66
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

I always have so much to do, boy oh boy I really do but this place is like a magnet, plus I have an addictive personality Jelly!!!!!

12. AsherKade profile image56
    AsherKadeposted 14 years ago

NO, JUST DRUNK....

http://www.dreamstime.com/sad-and-drunk-man-thumb9179627.jpg

U need an ambulance over there???

1. AsherKade profile image56
        AsherKadeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LMFAO
        h[img]ttp://images.stockxpert.com/pic/s/c/co/cookelma/800748_91921612.jpg[/img]

jelly the 'h' was missin from the http ,so I added it for ya
          BP taught me y'know smile

13. Lady_E profile image61
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

I guess Hubbers could get bored. I'm new to it and for now it's a nice distraction. 

Not bored yet...

14. lawretta profile image62
    lawrettaposted 14 years ago

I write because i love writing and fortunately Hubpages provides that platform. secondly people from all over the world gets to read your write ups.It's soooo good!!!

15. BODYandSOUL profile image60
    BODYandSOULposted 14 years ago

some are bored..some are not
    some stays..some leave
    some earn..some learn

16. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Ah, ya see, hubbing is not for the bored, it's for the socialites out there...we just like to part-ee hardy!!  lol

I'm here for the fun...and I still manage to enjoy a lot of other activities.  I'm not addicted, though that would be easy, but I haven't made this my number one activity (though, it may appear to be at times...lol )

17. Davinagirl3 profile image58
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

I am not bored, I am entranced by some of the intellegent recourse.  Sometimes, I just sit and throw ideas out into the ether.  I know it is possible that someone will find them interesting and throw an idea back.  It is like playing intellectual pong!

Looking at the hubs and the forums, you can learn quite a bit about the person. Interesting. I wonder if some of the thoughts would have remained hidden, if the discussions were in person, during a social thing. Let me know if you want an analysis? :-)

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74

It sure has been today ,my minds had quite the work-out lol

18. Pete Maida profile image59
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

I enjoy writing; it is a good hobby for me.  It doesn't take all of my time.  I still get out with my wife and do things I need to do.  I mostly enjoy writing fiction.  I know this isn't the greatest place for fiction but I settled here for now.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)