Religion vs Spirituality

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (133 posts)
  1. VationSays profile image76
    VationSaysposted 8 years ago

"We must stop confusing religion, and spirituality. Religion is a set of rules regulations and rituals created by humans which were supposed to help people spiritually. Due to human imperfection religion has become corrupt, political, divisive, and a tool for power struggle.

Spirituality is not theology or ideology. It is simply a way of life, pure and original as given by the Most High. Spirituality is a network linking us to the Most High, the universe, and each other."

-Anonymous-

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
      Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Very true. The shortest threads are those no one can argue with.
      Hope it stays short! :-D

1. colorfulone profile image78
        colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I believe this is true also.  Very accurate!   I cannot argue with the quote.

… almost shockingly accurate!

… all this time we could have had a V8!

I'll drink to that....CHEERS!   (V8)
              Wondering if VationSays will join us. 

ADDED:  Cheers to MizBejabbers!

2. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 8 years agoin reply to this

OK, a little discussion here because VationSays brought up a serious subject. From my studies, both in college and on my own, I've come to the conclusion that spirituality has been around since the beginning of humanity in humans on this planet. I think the spirits that came to occupy humans' bodies brought that with them and have been passing it on to the newly created human souls. Some of us here are very old souls who have come to help humans to ascend from the entrapment of duality. Once trapped in the body, even some of the old souls have to reawaken as many are doing now. Then we also have to consider the new advanced souls that are being born as Indigo, Crystal, and Rainbow children who are here for the same purpose. Even the Bible agrees with the basic concept although it leaves out the details because it speaks of an eventual “Heaven on Earth”. However, I do agree with anonymous' statement that spirituality is a way of life, not necessarily a belief system because there are many paths and each soul has to walk his own path.

I think that man has contaminated spiritual beliefs and remade god in man’s own image. This has mainly come down through the Mosaic religions, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. There may be others of which I’m not aware. For some reason, a “one God” concept came through during the period of the Old Testament. The rivalry between Judaism and the followers of Baal come to mind. Then in the New Testament, Jesus says he comes to “fulfill the law”, and after his death, the followers of Jesus found their spirituality or religion or whatever their belief system was contaminated by the Roman Jew Paul and the Roman Catholic Church, then later on the Protestants.
      This religion or these religions of man dictate how their adherents should live and don’t take into consideration the differences in souls and their paths. So whatever Jesus really said became manufactured religions of man, and then was later further contaminated by Mohammed. Today all that has morphed into the ridiculous that has no place in this century. I say that because we are no longer a tribal society that depends on sheep and goats or ride around in wagons or chariots or keep concubines. As long as man tries to adhere to these old standards, he is impeding the very Heaven on Earth that he believes in because his bible tells him so. The very idea of getting 72 virgins in Heaven because you kill innocent “infidels” is absolutely ludicrous.

VationSaysposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Am particularly interested in this part:

..." I think the spirits that came to occupy humans' bodies brought that with them and have been passing it on to the newly created human souls. Some of us here are very old souls who have come to help humans to ascend from the entrapment of duality. Once trapped in the body, even some of the old souls have to reawaken as many are doing now. "...

What do you mean by help humans to ascend from the entrapment of duality? And reawakening of the souls too. Is it like evolving into higher dimensional beings and achieving more awareness?

1. MizBejabbers profile image88

You got it! That's exactly what I mean. As the years went by when we began to occupy bodies, we forgot that we were souls. We became human and couldn't pierce the veil that separates us from the other side except by the death of the body. As we start to awaken, we become aware of the duality: We are souls who temporarily occupy a body, not vice versa, and even as a soul, we still have to function on the physical plane, hence the duality. We have to overcome the physical side of the duality to become a fully awakened soul aware of our multidimensional existence.

3. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12843006.jpg

I agree with the quote.

The image is my concept for the spirit today, but am willing to change as change is inevitable. Change will occur for each of those four independently while is collective too. As can be seen one's spirituality - the paths toward spirit, are three while they are connective and are communicative lending to growth of each and focus on spirit.Therein we discover a compare and contrast between maturing and aging with increasing and decreasing with perspectives as concepts of the differences and likeness of each while noting all are of growth, yet we do have percepts - experiencing with a measure.

Next, that lay within undefined boundaries without meanings. I know not of tomorrow or next other than my ignorance of actual future of body, mind, and soul while accept spirit is eternal. Then, what of space surrounding those earthly three while ponder spirit. I wonder perhaps I have it wrong. Maybe the spirit is part of that surrounding environment, is translucent, and dimensionless. What of those earthly bound spheres? Perhaps they are painted a hue or are lucid and as dimensions. Finally, what of beyond those boundaries . . . do those really exist or are only of concept without percept? 

The challenge I have is I can conceptually understand each of the earth bound three and also have percepts too or at least I can conceive it as so with the soul. It is with the spirit I have the challenge of relationship with self much less with actual God. I have only concepts of God through symbols, art, and language, yet remains unfathomable while am completely blank of percept other than assumptions. I do feel and think I know myself of least somewhat with my limited knowledge learned, thus require doctors for instance. But, there is so much of me I don't know and have experienced yet. I can't wait to be introduced to that of me. I discover joy and happiness with that. That is all I require today for belief and that is the aim while on this earth until of presence, thus the journey of spirituality.

Notation: Insert typical disclaimer here as IMO for now. Supportive academia is available, yet I sincerely believe that is for each with their journey. Each will explore and discover. Perhaps researching and sharing through interactions through such as such like conversation with language or writing, music, art, and etc.

I think you are well on your way to a complete awakening. The only part of your analysis I disagree with is soul as necessarily earthly. I agree that soul is an ever-growing thing as it takes on new experiences, but I think it is the "rainbow bridge" between mind and spirit. Namaste

1. tsmog profile image84

I'll have to ponder a bit and a byte. I am pondering your earlier reply regarding the soul occupying a body.

Well, I heard a totally unenlightened preacher say, "I am made in the image of God; God has a body; I am a body; I have a soul." A spiritual person will say "I am made in the image of God; I am a soul; I have a body." It is all in how you look at it. Hope this helps you to ponder.

1. tsmog profile image84

Thank you for providing more to assist me along this journey. smile With many attempts to make this reply I discovered my thoughts laced with feelings from memory and wandering and wandering. With what was shared with your last post MizBejabbers I hesitate with full agreement. Yet, I relish it as inspiration to seek more than for 'self'. Our dialogue inspired by the OP and this portion of my journey with spirituality seeking spiritual is a most wonderful adventure. Perhaps there is a Hub or more in there somewhere?

I can only offer something of music to maybe present a perspective I have with spirituality for consideration. It is by Mike Oldfield titled Secrets Far Above the Clouds. With it offered is a short explanation below, although the composition is a journey of some length as is life, as sharing . . .

With composition I easily can see a vision and a journey with it as allegory, metaphor, and simile. There is a beginning and then there is a journey. Along that journey is a departure. That is where the lyrics arrive in the composition. They are short and are:

"...far above the clouds
              far above the clouds
              far above the clouds...

And the man [Woman] in the rain picked up his [Her] bag of secrets, and journeyed up the mountainside, far above the clouds, and nothing was ever heard from him [Her] again...

...except for the sound of Tubular Bells."

As the lyrics end there is 'arrival'. There is destination. Then, there is no longer a destination nor a journey. There simply is a continuance of is as so and it is exuberant. It is spiritual . . .

With that I am reminded of a riddle my grandpa told to me once while we discussed Belief, Love, Mind, and Soul. I think it is an adage from somewhere. He asked;

"What can touch you, but you cannot touch?"

My reply was sight followed with vision while I forgot the others we were discussing.

I don't think any of us seekers are in full agreement because we are on different paths to the same goal, but we are in harmony. It is beautiful.

1. tsmog profile image84

wink

2. colorfulone profile image78

+1   
                  I love the quot: "All roads lead to where I stand."

PS Other questions:
                    What is "the goal"?
                    Where do "we stand" and why does it not seem good enough?
                    OR IS IT it good enough …
                    and WHY is it good enough?
                    and how come no one told me it was good enough?
                      perhaps the "I" is the missing link.

How could that BE????

4. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Spirituality is a benign, ineffective, and stagnant belief in a creator who's morality is coincidentally centered on the individual who has invented his or her own religion.
      It requires no self improvement, or accountability, and is a violation of the first commandment of the one true God. "Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

1. Jewels profile image81
        Jewelsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That would be my definition of religion, not spirituality.  The revealing of the spirit requires an enormous amount of self improvement and 100% accountability.  Spirituality has no commandments except the true meaning of integrity.  Religion on the other hand invented the commandment of having no other god before it (the religion) therefore it became a false God by default.  The pursuit of the spirit within is extraordinarily effective and fulfilling if you can get real about it.

1. profile image0

Do you believe that people are naturally good, or naturally evil?

How can a person who was made in "God's image" be evil?
            Evil comes from delusion of mind and hardness of heart.
            TWISI

Good answer smile

it is important to remember every one has their own work. No one can tell another how to find happiness since as you remind us …
                its an inside job. smile

The inside job refers to that which is not an outside influence - it is all within.  Even happiness is fleeting and not a permanent state (unfortunately). Nothing is permanent in a universe based on continual fluctuations.

Of course what makes one person happy is not necessarily the same for another.  Additionally there is more than one way to find the divinity we are all seeking.

2. profile image0

So then I assume you believe that people are naturally good. Can you name a time in history when people were not at war?

3. profile image0

Also, why is there a need for laws?

4. profile image0

And, where does delusion of mind and hardness of heart come from?

mostly fear.
                and
                being prone to believe in illusion rather than reality.
                For instance, we are polluting the planet. It could stop if massive consumerism stopped.
                We think we need all the junk we buy and throw away. There is a serious problem of plastic debris collecting in the oceans. etc.
                http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news … ne-debris/

1. profile image0

Is it good or evil to pollute the ocean? Also, is war a good or evil thing? Or what about giant oppressive, Earth polluting, corrupt, corporations who buy elections, cheat on their taxes, and rob people of their pensions? Are they ran by people who are naturally good?

I believe every person is perfect at birth. Have you ever seen a naturally evil child?
                    NO YOU HAVE NOT! They do not exist.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Hi Jewels. It seems that Religion is fear and restriction based while spirituality is courage and possibility based.

Thank you for sharing you wisdom. It really gives us (me and all who have eyes to read) something to contemplate. smile

MizBejabbersposted 8 years ago

I agree with the quote. I'm surprised this hasn't brought out of the woodwork a bunch of dissenters calling us ugly names. And yes, a V8 would taste good about now.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years ago

big_smile

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

But, still one of us super spiritual people needs to explain:

"Spirituality is a network"

5. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

I'm fairly sure someone wants to come and explain.   
    Time for another V8?

Short, concise....can't add to it, can't take from it. But i'm up for some diverging views if any.

And yes, imma have some V8 too while we wait :-D

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

"We have to overcome the physical side of the duality to become a fully awakened soul aware of our multidimensional existence." MB

How do we overcome the "physical side," MizBejabbers?
    What is the physical side?

I would say the physical side emanates from what is metaphysical. (beyond the physical in the sense of "2 transcendental, spiritual, supernatural, paranormal. D)."
    ~ overcoming has to do with perceiving the spiritual.

How???

7. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Spirituality is based on reality.
    Why is reality so hard to fathom?
    Why is it, all we see is illusion/delusion?
    If we cannot fathom reality … then what are we to do????

What hope is there for any of us, whether religiously, spiritually or atheistically inclined?

What is reality? Reality is what a being can perceive. Our reality as humans is different from that of fish, dolphins and even snakes. eg we can only see "visible" light, while some animals can see infrared. Reality in both cases is different. Our physical reality is what our physical senses - sight, touch, smell, hear, taste-  can perceive.

In the same way, the spiritual reality is what the spirit can perceive. That's where it gets tricky. Because we have to be in tune with our spirits to know what they perceive. 

I'll give a personal example: In the heart of praise and worship, when singing to God, i feel this sense of rightness around me -something in me feels "Yes, am in the right place, doing the right thing." I feel a higher power all around and surges of energy-i feel my spirit elevated.

Physical reality and spiritual reality are not in the same plane. The physical can't cross to the spiritual, but I believe the spiritual can cross to the physical. Despite knowing that God exists, we can't see God. Why's that? Because of the limitations of our physical senses. It's like when you try explaining color to a person born blind. It won't make sense to a person without the physical sense of sight. So colors aren't a part of that person's reality.

So reality is based on the senses used to perceive that which is around us, both physical and spiritual.

which sense perceives the spiritual?

1. tsmog profile image84

A perspective of some length, therefore I ask forgiveness as so . . . I shall deconstruct as best as can be . . . for only a moment . . .

. . . Possibly the sixth sense. Some say that is intuition and is without conscious reasoning. It simply is from beyond reasoning and sensing. It is as is is so. Then, once one is aware of something from nothing through intuition one either accepts it is as is is so or seeks understanding. Thus there is a journey with a beginning, yet the destination is never seen.

We continue to wander wondering and pondering while navigating toward that destination led by intuition. Yet, there are horizons with sunrises, sunsets, and the time between seen (experienced) through shadows. Those are the unexplained that points forward, shows from whence one came, and shares where one is. And, with realization - awareness, one knows shadows can touch, yet not be touched.

The journey and most wonderful it is is the forming of a belief(s) for as is is so as true, false, or undecided. Thus, questioning as we each are doing here of spiritual, which for each is an experience as spirituality, while occurs elsewhere too.

You, I, or another experiences of least conceptual  each is in fact sitting with a keyboard expressing what is experienced and/or has been experienced while seeks an experience in the future. It is momentous. As effect it affects the future.That is by feelings of the senses and thoughts as reasoning. Even if just sitting at the keyboard within an environment seeking answering something from nothing intuitively.

For instance as I read not only each contribution I can imagine what the contributor is doing. Correct or incorrect while not of morality I can conceive something. Perhaps one is smiling with joy seen in language or it is throwing one's hands in the air seeking understanding. And, then there are the interactions themselves aiding while furthering questioning. That is intuitive.

Either it is accepted as is is so forming a belief or understanding is sought. Perhaps one experiences the soul of another as shadows again that touches, yet cannot be touched much less does one touch each other here in this forum. Yet, we each can read each other mind. We read through sight - senses, and form thoughts - mind. We experience each perhaps synthesized. There is justification for a belief formed perhaps for a soul relational to one's soul. Thus, is the journey of spirituality seeking spiritual . . . . 

Quite possibly each journey is not fathomable, beyond reasonable explanation, and untouchable, thus is language. A story - metaphor, allegory, and simile be told. Familiarity is Poem. And, there is Art and Music. The desire simply is for another to experience - feel, with thoughts something from nothing - the blank canvass, as a 'self'. Having a heart, mind, and soul navigating toward spiritual still unseen as a journey of spirituality . . .

Souls Share Heard of Mind My Spirit Grows . . .
          . . . a poem of this 'self'

Knock, knock upon door within darkness a traveler weary,
          A crick and a groan sways a great weight, rays of hope,
          Welcoming a room without border, endless, beyond sight,
          Shadows dance celebrating merriment of once before.

Between rays not hidden, warmth beyond measure, touching,
          Touched not once, neither twice, much more than thrice,
          A path uncharted, I navigate, a pathway others may follow,
          Those known now left their paths, a choice to travel this day.

Less thud, not even a bump, reminder my heart doest speak,
          An ear bent listening of virtue, no harm of mind, a dear friend,
          I hear not of, but is, I know of mind be something of nothing,
          Alas, heard not of thought nor is touched, "This way today . . ."
          http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12848512.jpg

This is why spirituality is way fun. smile

1. tsmog profile image84

big_smile Yes . . . it is as each has a most wonderful adventure smile

8. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

… what does Jesus say?
    Love God with body heart mind and soul.
    and Love neighbor as self.

Love is the common element in both ideals.

But love, as we know, is very tricky.

It has come down to this question in the year 2016 after the life of Jesus: And what/who is "God?"

If we cannot know GOD directly … what should we do about it?

Religion's answer: Operate according to best guesses based on Bible.
    Spirituality's answer: ?

To know love is to know God. Because God is love. True love, and not the convoluted derivations of it that we see everywhere today.

9. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

HOW COULD THAT BE?

Know Thyself!
      Overcoming the physical side of the human condition is an enormous topic and it's one where the work of Rudolph Steiner and Dr Samuel Sagan  can come into play.  He speaks about a transformed Etheric Body (qi/life force), Transformed Astral Body (the Soul = thoughts and emotions as influenced by the Astral)  and Transformed Physical Body.  With the understanding of proprioception it is understood that humans do not really feel or fathom their physical body, so transforming it is not something possible at this time in our evolution.  (By the way, it is the Astral Body that is full of delusion and illusion.)

Transformation is the deconstruction of all that is out of integrity within us, all that is not us.  Awakening is what happens on the road to revealing the real Self, the higher self.  Spirit = our true essence.

It is spoken of that what human's experience as love is a fallen principle of what real love is.  Real love burns,  and unless we expand our consciousness and build a receptacle for it, we cannot hold it.  Transforming the Astral body is the first line, where we learn to overcome our thoughts and emotions.  Not until that is done can we fully transform our life force which will allow us to hold more of that unfallen fire,  Once we have a transformed physical body we can hold the unfallen fire here as human beings.  It is an extraordinarily difficult feat, impossible until there is a mass transformation.  Heaven on Earth is when there is a mass of people who are the receptacles of this fire.  Christ Consciousness is a state of being where you can experience the fire of real love.  Holding it is a difficult feat.

God is within, it is that which is akin to our spirit.  When we learn to love ourselves unconditionally (no BS), we can then understand the essence of ourselves..  But until we can evolve physically it will not be a permanent experience.  We are swaying to the forces of nature. We can learn to ride on them  and not be thrown by them.  That requires overcoming and mastering the Astral Body.

and what does that mastering involve?

Awareness, vision,  Maybe we could have a skype convo one day Kathryn.  It's quite involved and depends on the person.  A lot of self reflection and regression and clarity to find what is and what is not part of you.

10. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

also can you explain this?

Transformation is the deconstruction of all that is out of integrity within us, all that is not us.

Conditioning basically.  We are a construct of everything in our environment, our parent's emotions, their beliefs, their influence as a whole.  What we are taught in school, what is pushed on you via religious indoctrination.  Rules and regulations that have an agenda beyond what is in your best interests.

Good explanation, Jewels.  Basically "transformation" as I have experienced is healing of the wounded spirit.  Recognizing bitter root judgments held that were passed down, and the judgments we made as a child (or adult) with limited knowledge and understanding are important to recognize so that we do not reap because of those bitter root judgments.  Also, so that other people do not have to reap because of the bitter root judgments we made in our heart. 

The law of sowing and reaping can have pleasant rewards.  Bitter root judgments produce bitter fruit rewards.  Its a spiritual law that is in place and its best when we know how God's spiritual laws work for the greater good.  smile

+1

Thank you, Jewels. Great explanation, and one that takes years of study to master.

In my sixteenth year of practical application of it MizBejabbers.  Not for the faint-hearted!

11. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

what is not me?

it seems like it is all me!
    How can I deconstruct myself when I did not even construct myself!
    Do you ever wake up in the morning as say ...

"WHAT the heck?!!!" yikes

You did construct yourself by responding and reacting to the environment that influenced your upbringing.  It can be quite awakening and shocking to see what you have taken on as truth when in reality it is nonsense.

12. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

- unless I did construct myself and I forgot I did …
    To say I am God is taboo / false.
    To say I am from God is not.

Is God love?
    Is Bliss involved in feeling?
    or just BEING?
    what does "holding" involve?
      (From: <"hold … unfallen (?) fire.">)
    Where is that "fire" from ?

Is Love part of a feeling 
    Are feelings an aspect of emotions?
    or not?
    (From:  <" … overcome our thoughts and emotions … transform (?) our life force … ">)

If you cannot return, Jewels, thanks for these hints to contemplate.

As you speak of God you speak of something that is external to you, yet everything to do with the revealing of you as a spirit is an internal experience.  As quoted in the bible "the Kingdom of Heaven is within"  If you keep looking outside you will never find what you are looking for in regard to your spiritual growth.

Bliss is a state of consciousness which you can experience via meditation.  It is experience by Being in a particular space of meditation.

Love is a not a doing, you do not DO love, you BE love.  If you DO love, it's not really love.  It's more like caring or compassion.  But to feel love you BE it and then emit it.  Thereby others can experience you BEING love and then understand what that is.  When you are IN LOVE as in a relationship in the beginnings, the state you FEEL is a state of BEING.  It is not something you DO.  It is the result of an experience.

Feelings and emotions are not the same.  Emotions are a reaction to a feeling.  Feelings are described :- softness, harshness, hot, cold, sharp, dull.

God is a loaded word and means many things to different people.  You could say the space of love is God or the Divine.  Or God is all that is; I am part of the all that is.  Whilst it is true we are not God because we have fallen (as in the fall), we are an emanation. But we are not separate.  So it's foolish to say we are not God otherwise you will be fooled into thinking the God within is somewhere else other than within you.

When talking about unfallen, you are in a state which is more involuted, closer to the inner you instead of the unconscious externalized you.  The REAL love which can be felt by presences of an Angelic nature, which by the way is felt by the ability to be open to feeling them, is felt is fire.  It is an intense feeling, it's the equivalent to the Sanskrit agni.

13. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

PS: What is fallen fire?

A loss of purity.

A loss of pure love, perhaps.

At that level of consciousness they are one and the same thing.

14. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

"You did construct yourself by responding and reacting to the environment that influenced your upbringing.  It can be quite awakening and shocking to see what you have taken on as truth when in reality it is nonsense." J         yikes!

nonsense = delusion/illusion, I would say.

15. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

"As people grow into adulthood they develop deeper emotions, and methods of reasoning."

These types of mental processes are due to ego concerns.
    Ego is the outer aspect of our beings.
    The heart has to do with the inner part of our beings.

- just depends on what the person is dwelling on: inner, where the reality of peace and love is felt or outer where temporary excitements are depended on for happiness.
    TWISI

PS life seems to be a balancing act of inner and outer … as the yin and Yang symbol portrays: dark and light, reality and illusion, alkaline and acid, calm and restless, happy and sad, invisible and visible, ignorant and wise, unconscious and conscious, loving and hating …
    growing or dying.

16. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

"We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness—That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the Governed …"
    http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/file … /M-654.pdf

17. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

The question is, Is man inherently evil?
    What do you think?
    I think not.
    I think we can err big time and do everyday. This erring does not make us evil.
    It makes us human, therefore the need for boundaries, laws and discipline.
    But inherently, our inner selves are of spirit and perfect. We can rectify our consciousness by unifying our little soul spirits with the big spirit of God. If our soul / spirits were not animating us, we could not save ourselves, which ultimately we must do. (When and how is left up to us.)

I have heard from spirtiual masters, when we do 25 percent of the work, God will do the rest. But, it starts with our own wills to align ourselves with our true Selves.
    By not rectifying ourselves we err.
    But we are not evil: Ignorant.
    Is ignorance evil?
    Do we need to protect ourselves from human infallibility? Yes.

The Way I see It

1. profile image0

Inherently evil, yes. Can you name a time in history when people were not at war?

war is evil. People who wage war are evil. This becomes a political issue. Not spiritual.
        Is politics evil?
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR-elIS5SE0

"My people perish because they do not know"....ignorance is not evil. But it doesn't mean it doesn't affect us. Just like in a court, where "Ignorance is no defense".

About war. War is not evil. The purpose for the war is:
          We can go to for for greed over resources and kill people just to fill our bank accounts. That's evil.
          We can go to war to liberate ourselves from tyranny, slavery or colonial oppression. That's noble.
          We go to war to create terror among citizens. That's evil.
          We go to war to protect ourselves from the scourge of terrorism. That's self preservation.

The cause of the war determines its validity. But if all people were good, there'd be no need for war. So at the very root of every war there is an evil cause. We wouldn't have to fight for freedom if we were not being oppressed. We would't have to fight for resources if we weren't greedy. There  wouldn't have been a war in heaven if some angels hadn't become proud and rebelled. There wouldn't be an Armageddon coming if we didn't  become rebellious and think of ourselves as equals to God.

Wars will be fought. Some wars will be necessary, some will be unnecessary. It comes down to "What is the cause of the war?"

2. profile image0

Yes, those who start wars are evil. Hitler was evil, Genghis Khan was evil, all of the tyrants in history who ever sought to usurp power from the weak and fight to control are evil. That is why the founders of the United States chose to form a government which guarantees a separation of powers.
          That is why the American revolution was steeped in a constrained vision of a corruptible and greedy man. Thus it rings true to the old adage; "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

And here is why politics plays a roll in my answer; Both you and I were born into a society based on Judaeo Christian values. Those are religious values, as opposed to your spiritual values. We know what is right and wrong based on the values of our society which are ingrained into our laws, our history, and our consciences. Hence if we were to live in Afghanistan or Saudi Arabia, our values would be much different. You would have absolutely no tolerance for any kind of outside culture except a Muslim culture.
          Yet here in America and in all of the Western societies, all religions and creeds are tolerated and more importantly their rights are guaranteed.
          In Communist countries (which believe in an unconstrained vision of a perfectible man) There is no separation of powers, and they rule in tyranny.

Thus a society which recognizes the historically proven fact that man is inherently greedy, selfish, and violent, has the ability to effectively protect its citizenry from those who, in the name of virtue and good will, would seek to abuse them.

I agree to all you have said. Why would that be?
            Because what you say is true.
            Our disagreement is this:
            We are not born evil.
            This state of non-evil can be preserved in children and/ or regained in adulthood through self-will.

Ask me how.
            I will explain "how" clearly and the process involves the the essence of spirituality.
            Spirituality is based on the science of reality.
            Only the ignorant become evil for lack of this knowledge which Jesus, Buddha, Krishna, Paramahansa Yogananda, his line of gurus starting with Babaji and the saints of all religions have.
            TWISI

1. profile image0

I do not believe that children are born evil just as I do not believe that they are born with the desire to engage in sexual reproduction. It is still an inherent part of our nature which becomes evident at a later part of our development and is only suppressed by outside influences.
              Your desire to be good is based solely on how it benefits you. If you only have yourself to hold you to your own invented standards, your spirituality will be of little or none effect to true personal development.

… what is wrong with being good based on how it affects you??

-can you elucidate:

<"If you only have yourself to hold you to your own invented standards, your spirituality will be of little or none effect to true personal development."> O

for instances?

1. profile image0

What I am saying is people do wrong all the time, and will always find a way to justify it. That is our own invented morality which can shift on a day to day basis as the circumstance presents its self. Unless some outside source presents a standard as a set of rules to live by, your faith will be stagnant, always learning the philosophies of men yet never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
                  Rather it would benefit us to rise from this state of spiritual infancy diluting ourselves to being carried about like sand shifting with every worldly wind of doctrine. Inventing a God which aligns with your own idea of what a God should be, or how it should think, or insisting that the only just God is that which aligns it's justice with that which you yourself have invented.

Who is this God? Is it the God of Kathryn? God according to you? Is this truth?

Do you not believe that some know reality?
                    and One in particular?
                    Do you believe we were left only to wander in rudderless vessels on the vast desolate sea of human existence?
                    Obviously, Yes you do. I, however, do not.

Yes we are born subject to evil. No we are not destined to never know good.

Hint:
                    Outside: evil / delusion
                    Inside: goodness / reality

18. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Some would say, here is evil:

…. we have become rebellious and we think of ourselves as equals to God.

Do we think of ourselves as equal to God?

Is there a problem with that?
    what is this malady based on?

19. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

full circle:

<"Spirituality is not theology or ideology. It is simply a way of life, pure and original as given by the Most High. Spirituality is a network linking us to the Most High, the universe, and each other."> VS

All people, whether they are atheists or theists, understand The Golden Rule of doing for/unto others as you would have others do for/unto you. One must know how one would like to be treated, however. This requires knowledge of one's self.
      When connected to one's The Self, one will have love, empathy, compassion, kindness, respect, appreciation and admiration for the good in all as it is exhibited.

The problem with religion is this:

It cuts one off from realizing the True shining Self.
      This Self is the animating Spirit within each one of us.
      Religionists do not acknowledge that Jesus referenced the third eye and the power of intuition. The only way to know God is to intuit Him with a pure heart through willing obedience.
      Religion forces obedience through guilt and false dogmas.
      Forcing, however, is psychological Taboo.
      Spiritualists  e n c o u r a g e  (rather than FORCE,) through experiencing and expressing love and joy.

PS Some religionists have it right and are also spiritualists!

Take it or leave it.

The Way I see It.

20. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

<"Spirituality is a network linking us to the Most High."> VS  Who could argue this?

21. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

<"He did however organize a priesthood, set up a multi tiered church with prophets, apostles, deacons, priests, and evangelists, and commanded his followers to engage in ordinances such as sacrament, baptisms, blessings, and prayers, (perhaps something you might label as dogmatic).
    He also required that his followers tithe to his church, and commanded that they devote their time, talents, and efforts into building and strengthening his church.">O

HOW DID HE DO ALL THIS?

22. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Why don't you check out how the Franciscan monks in the name of Christianity treated the indigenous people of California?
    What a horrid bunch those so called monks were ... Yes, led by Father Serra.

Father Serra's soldiers galloped through villages with ropes and arms to seize the Diegueno men and women. They were taken to the mission land and forced to live and build the San Diego Mission. They were forced to learn the Spanish way of life / Christianity. Without the baits of food and clothing, not one mission would have been built.

Do you know what a peaceful existence the California indians had lived?
    They believed in the Great Spirit and lived accordingly in reverence for nature. They survived on the land for centuries.

How long before we destructively pollute the very land which they took care of for eons of time?

And consider:  "When the Spanish arrived in the New World, at least 30 million people lived in the lands of California. by 1769, there were only about 4 million." Jerry Stanley author of Diggers.

Nice work, men.

23. Jewels profile image81
    Jewelsposted 8 years ago

Sadly those who post on the topic of spirituality and yet don't understand the basic concepts of internalization of consciousness will continually miss the point. 

Comparatively it's the difference in driving a 1960's dodge truck to a 2014 Ferrari.  And those who have never driven a Ferrari will think their 1960's dodge truck is the best thing they've ever experienced.

It is sad. Those who depend on a priest or a preacher to tell them what to do because their god is external don't get it and they most likely won't in this lifetime. They are told to "let Jesus into their hearts," but if they really did that, they would be able to know how to live through their souls. Instead they quote scriptures willy-nilly and expect us to understand their "God". But it is the unenlightened path they are on now, and at least they are trying even when they aren't succeeding. That is why we are being told that it will take humans at least 300 years to come fully into the 3rd Dimension. I don't think these people have the capability right now to understand what you are saying. Maybe if we keep saying it ... just a thought.

I think it's a matter of being it moreso. That of course is a continual work in progress. "The Kingdom of Heaven is within" and that means being as he is, be a disciple, or walk the path he did.  And it's not easy!

You are probably right MizBejabbers - 300 years it could take for the mass of humanity to be our higher selves while walking on the earth - the world to come (As above, so below).  It's really difficult to see/read/hear how many speak of spirituality yet have no concept of what it really means.

We keep on in the meantime smile

24. Jewels profile image81
    Jewelsposted 8 years ago

Isn't that made up also?  It's a myth, a set of teachings - a very misunderstood set of teachings.
    Have a read of http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/087612 … ailpages00 and get a wider understanding of Christ the Messiah

1. profile image0

Not even close to anything the real Jesus said. Sorry.

You perhaps need to understand there is a major difference between religion and spirituality, I mean those who do real spiritual transformation work.  Have you actually experienced the state of Christ Consciousness?  If you have not then you really have no understanding of the book that I was referring to, nor the real teachings that the bible refers to?  This in essence is why there is a major difference between dogma (religion) and spirituality - which is the actual experiences through practice of what it means to be a spiritual disciple.    And there is absolutely no proof there was a real Jesus, and he never actually wrote anything to do with the bible..  But there is such a thing as a spiritual student doing transformation work, going through the dark night of the soul and deconstructing all the conditioning that is piled on you by people who espouse themselves as authorities on the human condition.

So have you actually read the book?  Do you know its contents?

1. profile image0

You don't actually believe that there was a Jesus yet you believe in this eastern mystical invention of "Christ Consciousness"? This is simply more proof that it is disingenuous to it's title. Self worship has nothing to do with the teachings of the real Christ. And if there were no Bible there would be no talk of Christ, and there would be no "Christ Consciousness" since the Bible is the source from which your religion is derived. 

Reminds me of the whole steampunk genre. They insert a bunch of technology that never existed into history and invent a flashy pretend world of fantasy. It's interesting but it's not real, not reality, just fantasy.

Meditation helps one reach the state of consciousness whereby one is in touch with the true self as opposed to the false self.  The false self is what we make up and imagine ourselves to be. The true self is the essence of our beings.
            Heaven can only be felt and seen from within one's own being no matter where heaven happens to exist. God is perceived though intuition … through the actual human ability to perceive via the sixth sense of intuition. 

God is outer and inner. God exists as the universe and every cell and atom within us.

Do these ideas make sense to you On us on us? Why would anyone, such as you, not embrace them?

They Make Sense To Me

1. profile image0

Sounds like the force to me. If you believe you can become a Jedi does that make it true?

If you believe you are going to heaven without working for it, does that make it true?
                What does the work require, do you suppose?
                  Jesus said: The harvest is abundant but the laborers are few ...
                  What is the harvest? What is the labor to you, On us on us?
                John 4:35
                "Don't you have a saying, 'It's still four months until harvest'?

I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest."

Also, unlike Jewels, I believe Jesus lived and there is proof. The remaining books of the NT were written by different authors and have corresponding info.
                I believe He is quite misunderstood.
                He was both son of man and son of God.

What does this mean?

1. profile image0

I Believe that God will judge whether or not we strove to keep his commandments, and followed in his teachings. It is necessary to do the things which he has asked of us, otherwise there will be little reward.
                  The harvest is his children. They are all of mankind. But he is not the son of a man. What man was his father? God is his father.

2. Jewels profile image81

You misunderstand if you think the practice requires self worship.  It's not a narcissistic engagement. Actually the opposite becomes true.  Once you reach these states and hold these states you are actually selfless.  There is very little reference to the fallen ego because it is a higher state.

Sanskrit texts are actually much older that biblical text.  Christ Consciousness is a state, it is not a person.  The misunderstanding comes when you think it is one thing that you idolize externally, as in Jesus or the Christed one.  The meaning of Christ is that Jesus (man) became his spiritual self (Christ). 

I don't know if there was a Jesus, I neither think there was or was not.  There is actually no proof.  Even the scholars are awaiting the evidence.  But there are teachings and when you can understand them and align to them, wonderful states are available.

To leave your spiritual growth to the say so of a preacher or even a teacher is a misuse of the teachings available.  This is the honouring of a false god.  You must have experiences of your higher self, not the belief in an external higher power.

I find modern day Christianity extremely sad where the 'believers' feel that anyone who does not walk the same path as Jesus is actually a heathen.  The opposite is true. 

Using the 'steam punk genre' as your understanding of ancient practices as was done by Sri Aurobinda, is an abomination.  But of course you were taught to think this way.  And you were not taught to learn how to have experiences such as spaces of consciousness.

We have to apply Plato's Allegory of the Cave here.  You have no reference point for this.

1. profile image0

The basic premise of mysticism is that man can, within himself, transcend physical existence and experience his own goodness as being “one” with the universe, being a god, or existing on whatever higher plane he chooses to believe in. Hence there is no recognition of the power which is solely given to Jesus Christ.

You believe that all power in the universe resides within yourself and is attainable through your own efforts. This is a form of self worship and is completely contrary to the teachings of the only historical source which talks about Christ. If you wish to fabricate your own spiritual based religion that is your right. However it is completely contradictory to attach the concept of Christ to it.

" I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." -John 14:16

"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" -John 11:25

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

"I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death." -Revelation 1:18

"These are the words of him who is holy and true, who holds the key of David. What he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open." Revelation 3:7

The overlying theme of the Bible is that Jesus is the only one who can reclaim you from death. You cannot resurrect yourself. Also he is the one who invented his church. He delegated his priesthood to prophets, pastors, evangelists, teachers, deacons, and apostles. That is what was taught by Christ. If you want to know what true Christianity is, it's in the Bible. If you want to make up something else, go right ahead. However it is the Bible which teaches us not to invent false gods.

There is recognition of the power of "Jesus Christ" because it is within all of us.  Simple   Delegation was given to prophets and pastors etc., to teach the masses that this could be done.  Unfortunately the church has become so barstardized even the pastors/teachers  have no idea of how to do it.  Thankfully there are teachers outside of a church unit that can.  Your verse of Revelations is actually an internal notice.  Read that book I was speaking of and you will understand the true meaning of it.

Mysticism is no longer mysticism when you learn how to do something.
                Have the experience not the belief.

1. profile image0

The power of Christ is only given to those whom he has ordained with his priesthood. The Priesthood is an everlasting principle, and existed with God from eternity, and will exist to eternity.
                  It is veritably the power of the Almighty given to man to act in His name and in His stead. It is a delegation of divine authority, different from all other powers and authorities on the face of the earth, It is the only power on the earth that reaches beyond the veil of death. And it is only delegated through the will of Jesus Christ. It has never been described as something which resides in us inherently. Moreover it is a responsibility granted to those whom he and he alone finds worthy to hold it.

It is inherent in us.  And you do have to be worthy to hold it.  It takes an enormous amount of Will and practice.  It does reach beyond the veil of death in the form of transformation of the soul. 

I do hope you are able to experience a semblance of what I am passing to you.  All power to you.

25. Trichakra profile image60
    Trichakraposted 7 years ago

I think its true.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)