I need help

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)
  1. lovetherain profile image81
    lovetherainposted 8 years ago

My daughter won't do her homework or school work. She is failing in three classes. This has been ongoing since fourth grade, and she's in 8th grade now. I take away her priviledges like phone, internet games etc. It helps for a little while but then she's back to getting bad grades again.

I am thinking of taking her to see if maybe she's depressed. But I don't think so as she seems fine around her friends.

I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I knot a lot of parents think this is a terrible way to parent, but bribes often work.  $40 for an A, $20 for a B, $10 for a C, and nothing for a D or F.  Adjust the amounts according to your financial situation. 

I agree with Kathryn, try to encourage her other interests and talents so she doesn't feel like a total failure. 

Parenting is a tough job, you're doing good. smile

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
        Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Maybe she is motivated by earning money.
        Why not?  School is rather like going to work! If it motivates kids to do the work they are forced to do, perhaps they should be $$$ compensated.

1. benalla abdellah profile image60
          benalla abdellahposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I don't think money will be the best solution

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
            Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

well, I will tell you something.
            My piano teacher as a child was paid by her mother to learn to play, perform and assist her mother, who was a school teacher, on piano. She was very motivated to earn her quarter each time she learned her lesson or performed for her mother for church events and the like.

Her early training and experience, inspired by earning money, led this woman on a fantastic life's journey as a musician / piano player/performer, and college music professor and beyond in her later years. She lost her husband and had to support herself. Her education enabled her to enhance her education and enabled her to work as teacher for children with special needs. She discovered how much music could help them. And she helped them.

As we all know learning, to play piano is very tedious at first.
            Anything which is counter to one's own intrinsic interest is tedious.
            But to inspire a child to become motivated, a bit of a $ prompt might be just the ticket.

2. imts profile image59
      imtsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

IMTS which is also known as the Institute of management and technical research with the main branch in India and the offshore branches in UAE, Dubai, Kuwait etc. Here in UAE, the institute is working with the goal to provide quality education to the students in almost all the available subjects through online mode. The institute is accredited by the United Kingdom Accreditation services (UKAS). The institute is also proudly working in

www.imtsinstitute.com M :9210989898

3. benalla abdellah profile image60
      benalla abdellahposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You have to let her with her freedom but in way you have to give her choices and let her take her own path ..
      I have been like her till the high school but i remember my mom made a choice for me weither to give up the school or to continue but with good results, i remember what she told me was like an opn door to my new personality, as now i work as a teacher in an institute and i have been doing so for 9 years. I think your girl has to take her decision.
      I think you have to motivate her with good willing

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years ago

It seems she has lost the will to please her teachers, you, her parent and most importantly herself. I would talk to her and find out why she is not enjoying school. Does she need tutoring to increase her writing skills? Does she need math tutoring? Often when kids get behind, they give up. If she can write and do her math but is simply not enthused, I would engage her in life beyond school.

Focus on what you know to be her innate interests and try to encourage new interests.

Does she like art, designing and creating? Perhaps school is too structured and she needs more freedom for right brained, artistic expression such as fashion design, still-life painting or photography, etc. You could sign her up for art lessons often held at community centers and YMCA's.
    Have lots of art materials and How To books on hand in your home. Today there are You Tube videos which teach kids how to draw. If she likes to design, computer graphic design programs might be simulating.

Does she like a particular sport such as dance or swimming? Is she interested in playing music or singing? Lessons in anything she is interested in would spark her up and generate enthusiasm, perhaps.

Joy of life comes from active interest and enjoyment of life. She needs more life in her life!

3. moonlake profile image83
    moonlakeposted 8 years ago

I would get a tutor for her as fast as you can. She may need help. If money works for her I would do it. You want to stop this problem now or she won't graduate because each year it gets worse. Good luck with her I hope all works out you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)