Does anyone here have any experince using Channillo?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)
  1. spartucusjones profile image90
    spartucusjonesposted 8 years ago

Channillo is a website where authors make their work available in serial form. The readers pay a subscription fee and the writer will potentially earn from those subscription fees. I have a unpublished novel that I wrote during Nanowrimo in November. I still have a bit more work to do in terms of editing and getting beta readers, but I am considering all possible options in terms of deciding the best ways of distributing my novel. Has anyone here have had any experience in using Channillo?

1. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

If I were you I'd self publish your novel in printed and/or eBook form on Amazon's Create Space or Kindle Direct Publishing, Lulu, Smashwords or some other site. I've found Create Space to be easiest but I know others have had good luck with other sites, particularly in terms of revenue.

spartucusjonesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for those. I am considering all options. Also concerning Channillo one of their requirements is that it cannot be available for free on the internet (which suggests that you can still sell it from another source). You also continue to own the rights to your work so there is nothing to prevent you from self publishing either during or after you are running a serial on the site.

Another reason why I am potentially considering using Channillo is because of the serial format. For example, I am still in the editing process, but if I am happy with the first few chapters I can start making the novel available before the entire editing process is completed. Then later on after the subscription run has expired I can now make the novel available through other publishing options.

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The Channillo TOU legal language is incredibly vague and clearly has not been reviewed by an actual lawyer.  There are inconsistencies with a variety of statements.  But let's skip those bits, and the fact that the site owner, admin and tech contacts are all listed with Paris, France addresses and phone numbers for a place supposedly in a single-family home in Indiana.

Let's look at the money, from the Channillo FAQ.

"How much do writers get paid?

Channillo distributes 80% of total subscription revenue (after payment processing fees) to the writers. The amount of money each individual series earns is based on the number of Channillo members subscribed to that series. Writers not interested in receiving payments can elect to have the earnings for their series donated directly to a charity of their choice."

In order to figure out what that might mean, let's construct a scenario.

Suppose you have one series and loyal subscriber to your series. They have the simplest Channillo membership, which is $9.99 per month, and allows them to follow 10 different series.  First we remove the processing fee from PayPal (3%), and then the 20% cut that Channillo takes.  That leaves $7.75 which is split between the writers of the ten serials that subscriber is following. 

By that estimate, for each subscriber, you can expect you will earn $0.77 per month, regardless of the length or frequency of your content posts.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You are a keeper.

2. NateB11 profile image88
        NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1

3. spartucusjones profile image90

When I did the math I got similar numbers, so I already figured out that any potential for earnings would involve serious self promotion. That would be a potential concern for me because I am not a great self promoter and my scope of social media influence is not too broad. But I would also run into similar self promotion issues with self publishing as well. Ultimately I am weighing all options and hoping for feedback from some who may have actually used the service (not that I don’t appreciate all other feedback, because I certainly do).

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

It's a very new service so it would be interesting to know how many subscribers it has.

I agree and I might try to ascertain that info before making a decision.

3. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 8 years ago

I don't have experience with the site, nor do I write books, but I did remember and was able to locate a previous forum discussion of Channillo:

http://hubpages.com/community/forum/128 … -channillo

Thanks for posting that. I did check out that thread before I posted here, but I noticed that it was a year old and that there seemed to be no actual experiences from anyone who used the service. But there were some helpful observations about the potential feasibility of the service.

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
        SmartAndFunposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it would be much more helpful to find someone who uses or has used the service. Best of luck to you!

4. yecall profile image74
    yecallposted 8 years ago

I don't have any experience with it, but I'm willing to try it- its seems cool.  You never know what will take and what won't.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)