I cannot think of one reason why this has been unfeatured. Can you?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (24 posts)
  1. TessSchlesinger profile image61
    TessSchlesingerposted 8 years ago

http://hubpages.com/money/How-to-retire-without-money

Please let me know so that I can fix it up.

1. tsmog profile image83
      tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I only skimmed the article, but found it well organized following HP guidelines and informative. The thing I am not sure of is the product usage. I noticed the same with the other Hub you asked others views for being unfeatured.

I think the books are relevant to the subject. But, I don't understand the 300 word rule. For instance does that mean the product name itself is suppose to be mentioned, the 300 words are specific to that particular product, and some kind of experience or review of it.

I have heard some say to put the words in the Amazon 'Description'. When using an ID for the product that is offered. I just tried it and you can put 300 words there and create paragraph breaks too. When using a keyword search it isn't offered. A description is not offered with Ebay. So, I am in quandary and still listening to others with success.

1. Marisa Wright profile image83
        Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The 300 word rule is DEFINITELY nothing to do with the number of words inside the capsule itself.  It also DEFINITELY doesn't refer to how many words you write about the product in your text - in fact, you don't have to mention the product at all.   It just refers to the ratio of text to Amazon capsules. 

The vitally important thing with Amazon products is to make it clear somewhere why that product is so perfectly suited to your Hub - and the most visible place to do that is in the description.  For books, it's always a good idea to add a few words saying why this particular book is the one you recommend on the subject.

1. tsmog profile image83
          tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Marisa. As a general rule while not adding new Hubs yet I don't use any capsules with the informational Hubs I have. But, I have thought just how to do it. I have a better idea now with your reply.

2. Marisa Wright profile image83

First, check all your links.  You have three links to the same US government website - remember, you can have only TWO links to any one domain, so that is breaking the rules.

Second, I would add a short review in the "description" section for each of the Amazon books to say why you recommend that particular book.

TessSchlesingerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

How about just removing all books? I have never found books to sell anyway. Removed the one. Don't like the way the book with the same title as my article is set out. Unattractive. Trying to figure out whether to dump it or leave it. smile

3. agvulpes profile image85
      agvulpesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The Hub may be a bit light on for images, I think that HP recommend putting an image at the very top and going full width?

Yup, the images are terrible. I have to work with that. Thanks. smile

4. Robin profile image85
      Robinposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It is defeatured due to traffic.  I think the suggestions below are good ones.  You could update it with the advice given and it should be featured again. If you haven't made any sales on the books or if you haven't personally read them, I would remove them.  smile

Yup. Not a lot of traffic. sad I'm looking at how to change that now. All Amazon ads removed. Checking links.

5. Sharlee01 profile image77
      Sharlee01posted 8 years agoin reply to this

To many links, some duplicate.

What is the rule? The links are all to government websites (obviously that isn't spam) to specific pages about specific rules in two countries for retiring. All relevant to the article. I don't make any money out of the links. They are necessary in order to understand the topic.

6. TessSchlesinger profile image61

Okay, guys, I think it probably needs quite a bit of work.

Better photos.
      More sharing.
      A solid look at keywords
      Better arrangement of topic.
      Check links.

I'll work on it. smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image83

Tess, I just read the other posts and realised this Hub was unFeatured for lack of engagement NOT for quality.   It's really, really important to understand the distinction.

If it's unFeatured for quality there are only two possible reasons - either it's not good enough, or it broke one of HubPages' rules.    In your case the first is never likely to be the case, so the only solution is to look for rules you've broken, and fix them.

If it's unFeatured for lack of engagement, there is only one possible reason - it's not getting enough traffic.   You can get it Featured again very easily - all you have to do is change one sentence, that will send it back through QAP and you'll be given another period of grace to try getting more traffic.   

However, the only long-term solution is to make the Hub more attractive to Google.  Nothing else will help.   In particular, removing relevant, useful Amazon capsules will not help one jot and will harm your ability to earn from the few readers you do get. 

I would've thought the title was a reasonable one but if it's not attracting traffic, then try changing it - perhaps "on a budget" or "on a shoestring" instead of "on no money"?  Then give it a few months to see if that helps.

Thanks. That is what I'm going to do! What puzzles me is that there are two or three other hubs that had far less traffic and they weren't unfeatured.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image61

Thanks Marisa. Yes, I'm going to have to rewrite for SEO and Serps. That is the issue. I think this is worth saving, though. Unlike the one on Cuba. Deleted that one already.

7. Say Yes To Life profile image79
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I read your article and loved it.  I recommend putting in more pictures, including one at the beginning.  Some of your sentences break off, or are incomplete, also.  Otherwise, it's great - and timely advice!

Thank you. I think I will save this one! smile Good advice about the pictures. In my experience, that first picture makes a helluve difference. smile

8. TessSchlesinger profile image61

Guys, thank you for your input. I've just spent a good few hours on it, rewriting, fixing up, providing new links and pictures. Hope it works now. smile

http://hubpages.com/money/How-to-retire-without-money

2. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

Is it de-featured due to quality or engagement? I see it has no comments, has it been getting a lot of traffic? I just had five hubs de-featured (it showed for engagement but two were high traffic hubs and when I went into edit it was actually due to too many ads for word count).

3. Marisa Wright profile image83
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

The rule is that you can have as many links in a Hub as you like, BUT only two to the same website.

Okay. Thanks. smile

4. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 8 years ago

This may be the reason: 3 text links in your hub point to the same domain.

1. For the exact age you need to be in order to retire in the USA, click here.
    https://www.socialsecurity.gov/

2. ranging from 5.5% to 8%.

3. Retirement & Survivors Benefits: Life Expectancy Calculator

Although they are useful links, HP rule is no more than 2 links to same domain per hub.
    Re the 1st link: Where it says "click here" is not an actual link anyway, so I would lose that whole sentence altogether.

Good luck!

Thanks. I did remove one of them. Pity, because they were relevant. I think an exception should be made for government informational links, but not my call. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)