Style Tip

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (22 posts)
  1. William F. Torpey profile image71
    William F. Torpeyposted 8 years ago

On my hub titled, "Corporate Surveillance: Hi, Friend, I've Got My Eye On You" I've received a style tip questioning "Is it possible that you have an image in your Hub that is blurry or low resolution? We recommend using only high-quality images in your Hub." I believe the photo is perfectly adequate as is. I prefer to keep the photo as is. Can I get the "Style Tip" deleted?

1. Barbara Kay profile image72
      Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There isn't a good reason to get it deleted if your hub is published. It only shows when you are in edit mode anyways. Just ignore it if you are satisfied with your photo.

William F. Torpeyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. I'll do that.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

One of the guidelines here is that writers are expected to have high quality, clear photos.  I would be surprised if your article does not get unfeatured because you did not edit the photo.

The photo in question is quite clear. I've searched for others but have not seen any that would work for me.

Would somebody please look at my photo and tell me that it isn't just as clear as any other photos that have been approved? It seems to me it's arguing over trifles.

1. Sue Adams profile image96
            Sue Adamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This photo is pixelated (unclear). Its size is 260 x 284 pixels, bite size: 21.0 KB
            It works as a thumbnail in your profile page but not in the hub.
            http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12868833.jpg

This photo on the other hand is not pixelated. Its original size is
            1725 x 810, bite size: 107 KB:
            http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12868856_f1024.jpg
            source:http://ds106.kendallparker.com/ds106/peek-a-boo-ds106-i-see-you/

I don't know about pixelated, Sue, but what I do know is that the picture looks fine to me. My hub is only enhanced by photos -- it's not about photography. The photo that is "not pixelated" loses the point of looking through window blinds.

2. RonElFran profile image96
            RonElFranposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I did a Google search for other examples of the same photo that might be at higher resolution and found several. One is at mac(dot)h-cdn(dot)co/assets/cm/14/49/5482ee8f5d94f_-_mcx-snooping-de(dot)jpg

What I do with such photos blow them up to full size (or greater) in a browser window (use the ctrl key, + [plus] key combination) then use the Snipping Tool available in Windows 7 or Windows 10 to make a cropped copy of the area I want. If you do something like that with this photo, it will look better, and won't trip the HP pixelation trigger.

The other issue is, I didn't see any indication of the copyright status of this photo, so it wasn't apparent to me that it can be legally used.

EDIT: One more thing. Have you checked for how the photo looks in mobile view, where it will be expanded to full-column width? Most of my views come from mobile these days, and I suspect this photo will definitely appear pixelated in that view.

Thanks for the good advice, RonElFran. I will see if I can follow it (I'm inexperienced in the technology so it will be a bit of a project for me -- and I am even less knowledgeable when it comes to copyright status of photos. I'm presently in the process of trying to meet HubPages requirements for ads  and links so it may be a while before I can resolve the issue with this hub.

3. erorantes profile image49
      erorantesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hello mister William F Topey. Perhaps , it is time to invest in a new device to capture moments that you can use for future hubs. A few years back, the cameras did not have the results to adapt in the computer. Present devices or new cameras will give you good results for your hubs. The pictures lengthen with the new devices.  Good luck with your pictures.

Thank you, erorantes. Most of the photos I use are from the Web so I don't have control over them. When, and if, I have time I will try to replace them with my own photos, but I'm not very well versed with technology (and I'm much too old to spend time learning it.) I appreciate your advice. I will make an effort to get better photos.

2. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

I have the same message on two of mine, but I am happy with the images so I just ignore it.

1. Sue Adams profile image96
      Sue Adamsposted 8 years ago

I agree with TT2. It is now recommended to only use high quality (large) full-width photos to comply with mobile design.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You don't HAVE to show them at full-width, though.  You just need to be aware that on a phone, they will show as full-width so they need to be a good enough resolution for that display.

2. William F. Torpey profile image71

My photo in full width looks as good as any photos on my hubs that are approved. It's the photo I want to use so it would be a shame to be forced to use something less appropriate for being a trifle under the number of pixels HubPages has set for a minimum.

2. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 8 years ago

Use the white space on the sides trick.

Thank you for the suggestion, calculus-geometry. It sounds like a good idea.

3. Gloriousconfusion profile image93
      Gloriousconfusionposted 8 years ago

Yes, someone advised me to add white space on each side of the photograph and it works a treat - it also means that  you can have a fairly small picture if you don't want one which seems to take up half the page because of its height - the wider you make it by adding the white space, the smaller the overall picture will look and it will reduce the height in order to fit the width.  Hard to explain - just experiment.

Thanks, Gloriousconfusion. If I get enough time to experiment it's an option that may work.

4. Sue Adams profile image96
      Sue Adamsposted 8 years ago

Suit yourself. HP has policies in place to maintain high quality standards both in content and visuals. It is a shame if members refuse to adhere by those standards as that brings down the whole site and we all suffer.

Sometimes it's far more important to have a little flexibility than to set arbitrary standards.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)