Examples of pages that are great for Amazon ads and pages that are not

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 8 years ago

Examples of pages that are likely to attract people who want to buy, versus pages that attract people who only want info:

Best Ballet Shoes for Beginners.........History of the Ballet Russes

Equipment you will need for Hiking in the Rockies.............Best Hiking Trails in the Rockies

Supplements for Older Cats.........Looking after an Older Cat

Gifts for Athletic Kids.........How to Encourage Kids to Exercise

Top Ten Board Game for Seniors......How Board Games can help Seniors

In each case, the first title signals a page that should suggest specific products with Amazon ads to help readers find the products, the second title suggests a page with helpful but non-product related info.

1. Jesse Drzal profile image92
      Jesse Drzalposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Well done, Will.  Getting people to randomly click on ads while browsing a general information article is tough sledding. Plus, while I am trying to build authority with my audience about things we equally have passion for, I try to keep it real and not carpet bomb them with Amazon ads. Perhaps when and if I get a little Google juice going I will indulge a little more.

2. Blond Logic profile image94
      Blond Logicposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Those are excellent examples you've listed. I think it is easy for us to forget that in order to sell, we don't need to tip toe around the fact.

My only concern would be when someone expects to find a list of potential games for grannies, we could come unstuck at the amount of Amazon links per hub. Somewhere in the back of my mind it is one link for every 300 words. (please correct me if I am wrong.) I think with the reins tightening it could become even more stringent.

I do understand that although we want to sell, we don't want to go down the Squidoo route and have a site full of sales pitches.

1. Jesse Drzal profile image92
        Jesse Drzalposted 8 years agoin reply to this

300 words of text, yes.

3. Christy Kirwan profile image91
      Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Very excellent examples, Will. Thanks for posting this. smile

1. NateB11 profile image89
        NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1

4. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 8 years ago

I'd have to say that my single most productive ad ($ wise) is on a hub about a specific car repair, and the title reflects that.  No mention or indication of selling anything; the Amazon ad kind of hits the reader out of the blue.  It is also for a very difficult to find part necessary to do the job and likely because of that I've sold dozens of the things at $150 a pop (price, not commission).  I have several "how to" hubs that use this strategy, and it's not always necessary that the product be unusual or hard to find - just that it be necessary to accomplish what the reader is known to want to do.

On the other hand, the most effective hubs ($ wise) are those that clearly indicate there will be items for sale.  Several ads for different things, but buying those things is why the reader is there in the first place and that's what makes those hubs effective with multiple ads per hub.

So it can go both ways.  A clearly sales oriented hub attracts readers ready to buy, but even a single ad for something very necessary to accomplish what is being discussed can also work well.  I've even sold things that are readily available in a dozen locations within a 5 mile radius of my home without being indicated in the title; apparently not everyone lives in a metropolitan area or is willing to go to a store.  smile  Maybe "Prime" from Amazon helps there - I know I'm more willing to buy Amazon when I know I'll have it in a couple of days instead of a couple of weeks.

Will Apseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There is always an outlier that proves the rule, lol.

I am guessing that the people who visit your page are desperate to buy a specific thing to fix a specific problem.

I can pretty much guarantee that people who visit a page like the 'The History of the Ballet Russes', do not want to be sold a tutu.

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's not so much that they're desperate to buy something, it's that they are desperate to fix a problem.  And I present a solution that requires a specific "something", conveniently right there in the Amazon ad next to a description of how to use it to fix their problem.

But it only works when the reader is willing to not only buy, but to apply the solution I present.  Overall, the more productive hubs are those that are intended to sell something (as per your examples), not give "how to" instruction.  Individual ads don't produce as much income that way, but the hubs certainly do.  I just don't do many sales hubs because I hate writing sales copy and refuse to advertise anything I haven't used and liked.

Will Apseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, my initial response was clumsily expressed. People who are desperate to solve a problem are often willing to part with money as soon as you tell them how it can be done and what they need to buy.

5. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 8 years ago

Good info on this thread. Valuable for those interested in making money through Amazon, even through their own sites.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)