Immigration

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)
  1. erickazoso profile image60
    erickazosoposted 14 years ago

Just starting a friendly debate, hopefully no one will get too heated over this.  What is stopping us from declaring an amnesty to immigrants so we can start actually collecting income tax from them.  on top of that, so many have children that they are collecting welfare for because they can't work.  if amnesty was declared they could legally work and support their kids on their own, freeing up quite a bit of welfare money.  and finally it would free up a lot of federal employees to worry about a lot of other things like gang activity and drug trafficing.  look forward to hearing what you think.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image78
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But...that makes too much sense smile

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How do they get welfare?
      I just dont get how the one of the most technology able countries in the world can be so swamped with fraud?

Dont get it!

But you do make a good point smile
      Or employers who are hiring illegals should be closed down , not just written a warning letter , they laugh at the timidity and dullness of this quaint western culture.

I know we sure as hell wouldnt get away with it in China , or Russia for example. No way Jose.

1. erickazoso profile image60
        erickazosoposted 14 years agoin reply to this
    3. mjha profile image60
      mjhaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I live near Postville, where there was an ICE raid that arrested over 350 people last year and the place is still reeling - not just the immigrants, but the whole town, school, and businesses have closed. True, the meat packing plant was using people wrong because they were illegal, they took advantage, but this is awful.

In our current system it is too difficult for people to because legal citizens. Total amnesty is not a solution, but just start the mess all over.Our country only seems to welcome people with a lot of money. I have know people that had jobs, education, spoke English, AND married to Americans that were not allow citizenship. I thought marriage was a instant in according to the movies, but it is not.

It is the same old govermental problem. The programs are there - just let them work !!!!!

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

Expect lots of traffic here.  Did you research hubs and forum threads already devoted to this question?  Despite your admonition to not get too heated over this, I'd turn up the AC if I were you. wink

Welcome to HubPages

3. erickazoso profile image60
    erickazosoposted 14 years ago

it makes sense to me anyway!

4. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Here's how to save welfare money:  Don't give illegal immigrants (criminals) any.  Letting them work will give them jobs that people who are here legally could otherwise have had in this recession.  Give them the choice:  You can leave your kids here and go back to your own country, or you can take your kids with you and go back.  Give them a plane ride to wherever they came from, and send their country a bill for the ticket.

If I break into my neighbor's house because I think my neighbor has better food, why not just give me amnesty, let me live in my neighbor's house and have their food "legally" (rather than insisting on saying I'm guilty of breaking and entering, robbery, trespassing, and whatever else)?   In fact, why not give me my neighbor's job while we're at it?

When people's first statement they make to this country is, "Screw your immigration laws.  We're coming in." why on Earth would anyone do anything for them other than put them in a camp until they can be shipped back to where they came from?  I'm not against aid to people in other countries or programs that may help the most deserving (and highest in character) come to this one legally.  As far as illegal immigrants go, I think they need to discover that this isn't a very welcoming place to people who say "screw your laws".

5. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

See what I mean?  Prepare yourself for more enlightened commentary from a little white dog.

6. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

My idea? Let Disney Land run the border!

They would charge $50 a day for admission to our country, then have their goons hunt you down and throw ya out if ya overstayed per welcome. smile

Seriously, the reason these people remain illegal immigrants is because it's easier for them to remain with this status. Find a way to make it more beneficial to become legal - or stay home - and then the problem will go away.

7. livewithrichard profile image74
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

I think that the problem with a declaration of amnesty is you make the assumption that the illegals here want to be Americans that they want to give up allegiance to their home country.  It's just not the case.  They want the opportunities and the sacrafices are nothing compared to the sacrafices they have already faced. 

Sending 10 million plus people back to their home country isn't going to happen either.  Maybe a staged amnesty would work.  Start with a 1% or 2% higher federal income tax on those that are illegal if they choose to become citizens.

8. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

In Massachusetts there was a big "round up" a couple of years ago, and it was heartbreaking in a lot of ways.  The other side to that, though, is that parents who knowingly remain illegal in the US know the risks to their children.  I wouldn't ever put my family or not-yet-born children at risk by remaining illegal and knowing the potential consequences.  There's a point where people need to take into consideration what can happen by placing themselves in that situation.   

Maybe it's true that the US makes it too difficult for people without much money to become legal citizens, but the other side to that is the US can't even adequately help a whole lot of its own needy citizens.  The middle-aged guy who gets laid off and can't find work can't get help from Welfare if he doesn't have minor children.  Neither can the non-custodial parent who gets kicked out of his house because of divorce.  There's a whole bunch of even hard-working Americans who could use a little break from the government who don't get it; so there is the "reality" factor no matter how much people think poor people from other countries need help.  Maybe it would be good if there were a way to help well screened people (who are just "regular people" who want to work) become legal citizens; but another factor is low-income workers don't pay much, if anything, in taxes; so even they aren't going to do much to help with the economic strain on the US.

In any case, I don't think rewarding illegal immigrants with amnesty is the answer.  The problem is big enough without amnesty.  Imagine the floodgates that would open if things get even more "inviting".  If anyone is going to make it easier for people to be legal I'd rather see a program that goes to whatever other country, seeks out the nice little family who would love to live in the US but wouldn't dare come illegally.  That's who deserves a break - not people who are brazen enough to disregard the laws.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)