I Wish HubPages was the way it used to be .........?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (69 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

I have over a thousand hubs , mostly poetry , around  six years on Hub pages ,  over five hundred more as yet unfinished and  unpublished  hubs , a score in the mid forties   , Not now or  never signed up for adsense  or whatever the money thing is .    I am presently deleting unfinished writings , and  pulling down all my hubs  from publication  in disgust  with hub Page's disconnection with its artistic community !  Not out of anger or  contempt but simply out of  this disconnect by Hubs .
    I am considering out of concern for other writers to  not leave the personal value of  my writing open to Hub use .  And will leave the empty  hub  and profile  box  for someone to write about cup-cakes or home- made candy bars or some  other such important instructional mindless drivel .  But I will always wonder what happened to the  smaller more valuable  community that  Hub Pages once was .

1. jackclee lm profile image82
      jackclee lmposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Have you considered self publishing a book of poetry? That seems to be a reasonable alternative to HubPages.

1. Rodeon profile image57
        Rodeonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Self publishing is quite like paying someone to give me some advice on life and the proper and religious way to live life etc. People are more than glad to do it for free.

I would never advise anyone to self publish. Better burn your poetry and make a cup of tea with that energy!

1. C.V.Rajan profile image58
          C.V.Rajanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

smile

1. profile image0
            Bronwyn Joy Ellioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Can't agree with you on that one, Rodeon
            I have just pulled all of my prose poetry, flash, and nano fiction Hubs to include in an eBook

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12914841_f248.jpg

You provide the prose poems, I'll provide the war.

2. SimeyC profile image87
      SimeyCposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sadly HP realized that 'art' doesn't make them much money and therefore they made a business decision to move on - it's sadly what they had to do.

Have you tried tsu? They actively want content creators - artists, photographers, writers etc. You can earn a few pennies there, but more importantly there are many people who will interact and engage with you.

Send me a message if you want to know more...

1. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 8 years agoin reply to this

According to Tsu's Wikipedia page, "Tsu's approach is to instead embrace the user as a product, and to sell data to advertisers and share the profits with the users as compensation.[7] This approach appears to give the service some of the characteristics of a Multi Level Marketing strategy."

Why would anyone want to join an MLM (considered spam/fraud in many places) where they are treated as the product?

1. SimeyC profile image87

Well as you know, wikipedia is not always accurate. tsu has been accused of being a scam, MLM scheme etc.

It's essentially another Facebook with more of a focus on letting users monetize their content - whether or not it is an MLM scheme doesn't really matter - it doesn't cost anything to join and even if you don't make much, you gain value. People are already vested in FB - where all the money goes to FB or others.

I have had amazing feedback on my photographs, poetry and other fiction - the value I earn from that is far more than a sheckle I an earn on tsu - I have tried joining groups on Facebook and mostly it ends up people trying to push their work at me, or trying to get me to buy something.

Tsu is no better or worse than Facebook.

I would also point out that HP has been called a scam many times.

I contacted the head of tsu - they are going to change the wikipedia entry as in his words "We have no products to sell...therefore how can we be an MLM" - they did not setup the wikipedia entry but as the owners of the site can edit it I guess! Be interesting to see what they do!

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
              Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Anyone can edit the Wikipedia entry, including you.   All you have to do is become an editor.  You don't need to pass any tests, just register.

It's why the accuracy of Wikipedia is so debatable - I'm an editor there, and that means I can change any entry I like, any time I like, to say anything I like.  If I do something outrageous, eventually another editor will notice and change it back - but it could be months before they do.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84

Tsu is clearly in the spirit of a MLM scheme, because its selling point is that users get paid to recruit other users who recruit other users who recruit other users.

As you say, that doesn't matter if the site works for you - the only worry is that Tsu is paying for an activity that doesn't earn money directly.   If they are judging the size of those payouts correctly, they'll be fine - but there have been other sites which have paid for non-income-generating activities (e.g. Bubblews paying for likes and comments), and got the sums wrong, leading them to run out of money.  Just sayin'.

tsu is paying the way Bubblews should have from the start - they are only paying from revenue they have earned.

There's no doubt that those who bring thousands of people into tsu will earn more - but the majority will earn the same - and at the end of the day that is not a lot. There are some users who are not bringing in thousands of users that still are earning well because they constantly produce great content and have tens of thousands of followers.

Is it an MLM scheme? I don't know - I can see why people say it is - but if you treat it like Facebook which also encourages you to invite all your friends, then I don't see why people feel it is a scam - at least we all get a little money out of it.

What I find different is that people are not there for the money - and many (myself included) donate all our earnings to charity - I distinctly felt that Bubblews users (myself included) didn't truly care about the interaction and despite saying that they were not there for the money (myself included) a lot were (myself included).

It's funny - I didn't come here to discuss the merits of tsu - it really doesn't matter to me if people go there or not - I just wanted to give someone a decent creative outlet - which tsu is....

1. WryLilt profile image88
                  WryLiltposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Just logged into Tsu after not doing so for months. Woohoo! Up to $60! By that rate, I'll hit payout by 2017...

2. relache profile image73
            relacheposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Given that I do not have an account on Facebook, it would seem I will never be using Tsu.

And that is fine - as I said - I didn't answer this forum to promote tsu - I merely wanted to give someone another creative outlet - which is what tsu is for me.

3. daydreamer13 profile image60
      daydreamer13posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I have been waiting to see if Hubpages might return to what it once was, but it seems to be in a never ending downward spiral. I'm about to give it up completely. I haven't even bothered posting hubs for some time because I don't respect the page like I used to. I think, like many others before me, I'm going to say farewell.

4. Jodah profile image91
      Jodahposted 8 years agoin reply to this
      1. Suzanne Day profile image94
        Suzanne Dayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm fast finding out all online businesses seem to have these ups and downs. HP only needs to worry about Adwords being viable and having content to suit it.

5. CrisSp profile image72
      CrisSpposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ed: What a shame for "us" hopeless creatives, eh? Now, let me show you how to make a yummy cup-cake without baking! Lol! Kidding aside, it's a pity and it's sad that the real creatives are being narrowed down. We're doomed! sad

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 8 years agoin reply to this

A cup-cake without Baking ?//*7%$...........?  Even  I can handle that !   Love from the ........uhh.....oven.....!   LOL

6. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ed, do you have a Facebook profile? If so, email me through my fan page so I can find your FB name, friend you, and add you to Jodah's fiction writers and poets group, "The Creative Exiles". We would love to have you in the group and on the web site when we get it set up. Thanks.

1. Bella Sames profile image64
        Bella Samesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I would like to join as well as I write poetry too.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

Thank you, Annabella. I will submit your application (which is your name and  profile link) to our Selection Committee. I appreciate your interest in The Creative Exiles and I will get back to you). Do you have a Facebook profile I can find so to send you a friend request? I need your exact FB name.

Sure, okay. Annabella Sames.

I got it, Annabella, and requested friend. Thanks!

7. AudreyHowitt profile image79
      AudreyHowittposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I feel your pain Ed!

8. lorlie6 profile image72
      lorlie6posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hello, old friend.  I rarely visit HubPages these days, and your assessment is exactly what I now find offensive to my and others' writing skills.  Though my hubs are non-fiction, I took great pride in developing and reading those skills.
      I, too, miss those days, and now find myself writing a lonely blog.  Community barely exists here any longer, and I feel lost without it.

9. peachpurple profile image81
      peachpurpleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

very sorry to hear that poems are not well receive here

10. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
      Shyron E Shenkoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

HubPages, can't ever be the way it use to be, when the best of the best start to flee, the new ones who come on board to moderate want to educate when they are the ones who have nothing on their plate.
      Blessing my friend

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
        Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

All this moaning and groaning makes me want to moan and groan too.  m    o a n ...   g r   o a    n  yikes !!!

Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

HubPages is a business.  It exists to make money from the articles published on the site.  Therefore, what they've always wanted is articles that make money.

In the days when HubPages was doing well, it was happy to allow unprofitable writers on the site, because they enhanced the quality of the content.  Now, the measures they've taken to combat spam also affect creative writers - and that's sad, but you have to see it from Hubpages' point of view. Why should they make special provision for writers who don't contribute to their business? 

I know it's sad but why not just be glad that HP enabled you to write on a platform like this for so long.

1. Jodah profile image91

Marissa, you made a kind offer on another thread to set up and even host a new site I suggested for creative writers. We have started a Facebook group to select and assemble a list of members and to discuss the pros and cons of our own niche site. All is looking promising. Could you just give me some idea of where the site you offer would be located and hosted eg. Wordpress, Blogger, GoDaddy etc. and any other details so I can take it to the group for discussion.

I would enjoy being part of your group Jodah

1. Jodah profile image91

That's great Bella. You are a talented writer and I think you would be an asset. I have put your application before the selection committee of our Facebook page. You should find out in a day or so if successful.

OoOo, it reminds me of that moment when I was waiting to get accepted into Hogwarts ^_^

You are in, Bella. Welcome to the group. smile

The only way to run a multi contributor site is using Wordpress software. I would host it on my account with InMotion. I'm on vacation right now until the 19th

1. Jodah profile image91

thanks for the info Marissa. have a great vacation.

2. lorlie6 profile image72

Given my predisposition for writing non-fiction, would I even be considered for this group, Jodah?  big_smile

1. Jodah profile image91

Hi lorlie6, the group has a selection committee who have to be in agreement to approve new members. Selection is based on the new site being solely devoted to poetry and fiction writing (maybe the odd how to write different types of poetry etc) and the applicant's reputation on HP etc..You are a very good writer but I suggest you would need to have a collection of poetry, short fiction stories etc for the team to look at before they could approve you. If you have a blog or somewhere else you can display that type of writing and can provide a link to..great. You post here does remind me I have to visit and read more of your great hubs though.

1. lorlie6 profile image72

I do have a blog, Jodah, but again, it is non-fiction.  I attempted to write some poetry today, and after  three hours of gnashing teeth, recognized that it is one of the most exacting forms of writing I've ever tried!  I gave up and don't intend to try it again any time soon.  I have a newfound respect for poets, however, cramming so much meaning into individual words is exhausting.
              I appreciate your candor, Jodah, and am off to find non-fiction groups.
              cool

1. Jodah profile image91

Thanks Lorlie6. At least you gave poetry a go. It isn't everyone's cup of tea..and not as easy as it first appears. Cheers.

2. Jodah profile image91
      Jodahposted 8 years ago

That is sad news Ed. You are one of the best and most popular poets here. I hope you continue to share your work elsewhere so others cancontinue to enjoy it.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image94
      FatFreddysCatposted 8 years ago

For me, HubPages is still the way it used to be. I wasn't earning much back then, either....

4. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years ago

I am really sorry to know you will be leaving, Ed. It is sad to see HP long-timers going away - so many have already left. Wherever your path takes you, I wish you all the best and hope you will keep in touch. Take care, my friend.

5. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 8 years ago

HP was never the way it used to be. This is late capitalism.

6. Kimberleyclarke profile image83
      Kimberleyclarkeposted 8 years ago

Well - I for one have only just found you! So, please don't go. Us new-ish ones have much to discover here, and look to long time posters for inspiration.

7. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

They can be MLM not by treating use as a vendor, but--by their own admission--treating you as a product.

The wikipedia entry is not their words - from the mouth of the owner 'We have no products to sell...therefore how can we be an MLM' - they are not treating the users as a product.

From the official site and FAQ:

"tsū is a unique online community for content creators and consumers. Unlike most social networks, tsū strongly believes in rewarding users who contribute to the platform’s growth and success. As a result, we serve ads and share up to 90% of platform revenue with #originalcontent creators from around the world."

Which is similar to HP.

I gain nothing by promoting tsu - I've been on HP long enough to understand that some other sites are manipulative - like any site it's 'caveat emptor' - in their TOS they do state : "We do not claim ownership of any Content that you post on the Service" - and it easy to delete content.

You do grant them a nonexclusive right to use IP - but this is terminated when you delete their content or close your account.

8. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 8 years ago

(Sigh) I miss it too, ahorseback. So much has changed about the community in just 3 years. I've enjoyed your poetry immensely. I wish you the best.

9. profile image0
      Bronwyn Joy Ellioposted 8 years ago

I've only been back a few months, ahorseback, but I don't think I will be far behind. My most popular hub has been unfeatured this week for traffic, despite pulling in 1/4 of it's total views in the same week.
      Had I known that HP had taken out Squidoo before I came back, I doubt that I would have. I have one site designed (on paper) for one group of my hubs already. The rest will come down and go onto my existing site, or into my next eBook. At least I can make some money then.
      The "niche" sites have been the final straw. Already the team's priority has clearly shifted to promoting/preening their new love children.
      All the best for the future smile

10. profile image0

I find myself missing the old community feeling ,  in the end  I think I  really should have somehow self ,or perhaps  kindle-amazon published  and not wasted years and any of  my passion   for  writing on a place  that has become very much diluted in the boredom of money making  for most  and  lack of true art  , as Hubs is becoming  for me .

But I do truly love the people I've met here !

You know, Ed, HP has become very diluted with similar content. This makes it difficult for readers to choose which hub to read on a subject they are looking for IMHO.

I also miss the smaller community we once had. There was more support then for each other. Many of the veterans have either left and just have no motivation to publish very much.

HP has set what they call a high standard for writing articles, but, they also allow anyone without experience to pop in and start writing without studying the rules / policies, etc. I have mentioned more than a few times that I think HP should begin their high quality goals right at the beginning when someone signs up. Newbies should have to apply and go through a rigorous training period before they can publish anything. The training should be in a separate module that is not visible to the public. If the new person does not pass the training tests then their application should be denied with a "Thanks for applying. Please study the requirements, rules, etc. and try again in 3 months." (just an example).  With a program like that the only hubbers would be well qualified and produce high quality content.

1. Sue Adams profile image94
          Sue Adamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have been saying the same thing for years too.

The current policy seems to me very complicated, giving staff double or triple the amount of work:  First they allow anyone to publish any old crap (on the main HP site), then they unfeature the crap. And then, they have to search through all that crap to find decent hubs for the new sites.

I suppose not featuring a hub is the same thing as keeping it unpublished (in draft form). Or is it? Do unfeatured hubs affect the main HubPages site's reputation? Why not simply delete all unfeatured hubs and be done with it? So the main site still contains decent content while the cream goes to the new niche sites?

What we're saying is: Surely it would be more simple, less work, to NOT publish poor quality content in the first place by having a vetting system for newcomers. A simple test as you describe, Phyllis, would do. Then people say: We are understaffed, no man/woman power, no money, to introduce a vetting scheme. But think long term, once it is in place, the main site's future would surely look brighter and safer.

My mind boggles...

I agree, Sue, that a vetting system would be beneficial and even save money in the long run. Having to search through and weed out all the crap must involve a lot of time and expense. Having a training course up front would prevent all the time consuming tasks that should not even be present.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

lol

Big brother is smiling on that one, isn't it? big_smile

11. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 8 years ago

"I Wish HubPages was the way it used to be .........?"

I'm surprised I didn't come up with this sooner, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KODZtjOIPg

12. Bella Sames profile image64
      Bella Samesposted 8 years ago

I came to HubPages thinking that it was a very active site, but it is kind of the opposite unless your hubs are chosen by editors, who are just other people who have other opinions on what is more important to show people... I feel as though all my hubs are being done in vain because there are literally not much comments or replies to hubs that I do (with all my heart). I want to converse and debate about things and share things but it seems that HubPages is so regulated and I feel like a ghost.

13. randomcreative profile image87
      randomcreativeposted 8 years ago

I understand that creative writing has never been very lucrative on HubPages, but for a number of years, it played a huge role in the spirit of the community. In recent years, the HubPages staff seem to miss the significance of this community completely. I know quite a few Hubbers who published evergreen articles alongside occasional poetry and fiction. Many of these individuals supported my work and regularly promoted it on social media, which did drive revenue for me...and HubPages. I know that I'm far from the only Hubber that benefited from this community support. These days I'm pitifully grateful to get a new social media share from a Hubber. I made enough on HubPages last year that it continues to be worth it for me to contribute one or two new articles per month. Putting aside the numerous issues that I've had with HubPages in general these past few years, ultimately I'm still here because I'm still making money. The HubPages community was integral to the beginning of my freelance writing career, and I would be sad to give up writing here entirely. But I will if there comes a time that it makes sense to do so.

14. needful things profile image64
      needful thingsposted 8 years ago

Is HP goin the way of Squidoo?

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I believe Hub Pages is going the way of "Too big for it's own pants ",  Grown away from its small community feel and  towards the all the god-like high profitability ,  the good old American way .   By now , in our new age  economy , they should realize ,........ And they will , that big isn't always better , JMHO.

1. Jesse Drzal profile image91
          Jesse Drzalposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Honestly, I think it's hard to say. I'm sure team HP see's the impact the creatives have on the site, which seems to really build the community nature of the page. It brings variety to the experience.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

The team DEPENDS ON a percolating site. What would the world be without its artists?
            FLAT!

2. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think it is less them going towards profitability then profitability running away and them trying to keep it in sight.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84

+1

15. profile image0

Okay , I'm over it .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)