Do you like verbal abuse or civility on HP answers and forums?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (21 posts)
  1. profile image0
    promisemposted 8 years ago

Do you enjoy being called names? Does it feel good for someone to mock you for misspelling a word? How about an attack on your intelligence, patriotism, sexuality, religious beliefs, nationality or integrity?

All of the events and many more incidents have occurred in the forums and answer section.

The Internet is littered with failed companies. I don't want to see HubPages join it. I have the greatest respect for the product that the company's founders and employees have created. A vibrant community is essential to its future.

But that community is at risk when certain people insult, attack or belittle people who think differently than them and HP doesn't have enough staff to keep up with it. Abuse discourages people from interacting, coming to the site and making it better.

If you haven't spent time on Reddit.com, please do so to see how a well-behaved community acts. Do you want to see the same here? Then let's take a stand against anyone who heaps abuse on other people. Let's try to define what it means to be civil here.

But if you like verbal abuse, then so be it.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image92
      Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

We strongly encourage you to report any comments or posts with personal attacks or abuse so that a Moderator can look them over.

1. profile image0
        promisemposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for responding, Christy. Does violating the following forum guideline lead to a warning or a ban?

Keep it civil. Debate and disagreements on points of substance are okay, but personal attacks, hate speech, petty bickering, trolling, and thread hijacking are not tolerated. By choosing to be civil, you make the discussion better for everyone involved.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image92
          Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If the comment is reported and the Moderators agree that it is a clear case of a personal attack, hate speech, petty bickering, or trolling, a temporary ban will result. If that person repeats the behavior and is reported again, a longer ban will be issued. Multiple repeated offenses result in a permanent Forum ban.

1. profile image0

I assume that the following comment targeting another Hubber -- one of many similar messages by the same individual -- qualifies as a personal attack or petty bickering and would result in at least a warning. If you don't agree, please help me understand more.

"Oh,u poor victim.Can't you get anything right?This is not my thread &your comment is a total lie&a false attack on Christianity.But that's what we've come to expect from someone so blind as to think Hiliary is qualified to be president."

2. Greensleeves Hubs profile image91
      Greensleeves Hubsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think HubPages is pretty good in this regard, certainly when compared with social media sites, and most comments here are civil and community-minded. But some subjects (religion, politics, gun control, abortion etc) do encourage extreme viewpoints, and if such viewpoints are expressed in an abusive, bullying or crude manner, then there should be no hesitation in deleting them.

The author of the hub or initiator of the question has the right to do this, and we should all exercise that right - although abusive people have the right to their opinion, they do not have the right to make others publish or read it. There is no compulsion on any hub writer or question initiator to publish or keep published, abusive comments.

BUT - any censorship should be based on the tone of the comment, not the actual point of view expressed. (I'd rather see a point of view I totally disagree with, argued in a thoughtful, reasoned manner, than a point of view I totally agree with, argued with abusive language).

3. RJ Schwartz profile image86
      RJ Schwartzposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Very touchy subjects such as politics, same sex marriage, transgenderism, religion, etc. are going to bring out the best and the worst in people.  If you write about or participate in discussions on those topics, I expect you'll see some real unhealthy dialogue.  There are angry people out there who get polarized on viewpoints and refuse to see facts as evidence.

4. Brynn Thorssen profile image83
      Brynn Thorssenposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have to admit that I am puzzled why Hubpages allows the people who ask a question to moderate that question and remove comments.  That doesn't encourage dialogue, either.  It is the tyranny of "tell me what I want to hear."

5. TessSchlesinger profile image61
      TessSchlesingerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I left hubpages just as I was starting to get between $300 and $600 a month payouts because of the trolling and insults on hubpages. The moderators were as guilty as anyone else. At this point, I now approach management directly. I have it happening right now on one of my questions. I have deleted the three guilty party's comments repeatedly. They don't stop. They are off topic, and they simply want to insult, belittle, make me guilty, etc.

It is unprofessional, and it's one area where I have an issue with Hubpages management. Some people should simply have their privileges to comment on the forum or anywhere else removed from them.

1. profile image0

Just out of curiosity, have you reported their behavior?

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 8 years ago

No, I don't enjoy those things.  But I've come to realize those things say more about the person writing them than they do about me. Usually, I don't reply.  Why bother?

1. profile image0

I believe we should bother because I have seen many people exit a discussion and not come back after being abused.

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years ago

Abuse is never tolerated in my world. Civility in our answers and forums are not only desired, but much needed. I agree with Christy - report any abuse, do not tolerate it.

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 8 years ago

People are people. The Net is a mirror of life. When a jerk comes along, just tell them to f!ck off. big_smile

On a more serious note, just ignore them. And don't get in a flame war with them, unless you feel like having some fun. big_smile

5. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 8 years ago

Personal abuse and name calling is never a good thing and is never justified. Healthy debate in the Q&A section is what we want and mostly that's been my experience over three years or more. There are those, a tiny minority, who seem hell bent on being abusive come what may, which is a sad and a poor reflection on their intellect and ability to articulate feeling and fact through reasonable sentences. Those who resort to unwarranted and vindictive abuse should be banned, simple.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

They are.

2. Brynn Thorssen profile image83
      Brynn Thorssenposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Allowing the OP to remove comments is not "healthy dialog."

1. profile image0

On the flip side, should the OP be allowed the remove comments that represent "unhealthy dialog" when it fits the following rule?

"Keep it civil. Debate and disagreements on points of substance are okay, but personal attacks, hate speech, petty bickering, trolling, and thread hijacking are not tolerated. By choosing to be civil, you make the discussion better for everyone involved."

6. Kimberleyclarke profile image84
    Kimberleyclarkeposted 8 years ago

I hate to think that anyone is being abused on here. I must say, I steer clear of some of the obviously inflammatory and baiting questions. If you don't give such negativity oxygen, it can't continue. I suggest, report abuse, and avoid obvious troll type questioning/behaviour. All the best to everyone!

7. Oztinato profile image76
    Oztinatoposted 8 years ago

Hub rules dictate the mandatory reporting of such behaviours otherwise one is seen as the same as the perpetrators.
    I didn't make up the Hub rules but I will do my absolute best to follow the rules.

8. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 8 years ago

Depends how funny/clever/insightful the incivility is, I reckon. Boring people to death is pretty cruel, too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)