Video ads coming on automatically

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Faith Reaper profile image82
    Faith Reaperposted 7 years ago

For a couple of days now whenever I am on any hub, all of a sudden a video ad starts playing. What is even more strange is when I have the volume low or silent, the ad comes on loud. I am not clicking on anything. Anyone else having this problem?  Image from Pixabay
    http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12960651.png

1. Venkatachari M profile image86
      Venkatachari Mposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I have also noticed this problem often. They play without clicking. It must be some glitch or intentionally activated by ad providers. Just like the videos on facebook play automatically when you browse on facebook.
      But, I have my computer sound disabled as I keep the earplugs whenever I want to view a video.

Faith Reaperposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi Ven,

I don't mind them playing but I can't stand to hear them just pop on our of the blue and make me jump out of my skin.

My issue may be isolated to when I am on my phone. I have my phone turned down or on silent mode.. If I want to read a hub or check comments, it starts blasting and so I have no choice but to get off that page as soon as possible, which doesn't help the bounce rate.

Thank you so much for participating.

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Oh, wonderful! This cr@p again!

First, thanks for the warning. If they'd made me spill my coffee, I'd be ranting for the entire day. Went and turned my speakers off.

Second, this has happened before; though it's been awhile. HP Staff despises this as much as we do. Try to ascertain which ad it is and post it here: prtscrn, info, whatever. HP will then stomp on them.

Yes, it will make you spill your coffee as they come on so loud!  As I stated though, I had my volume all the way turned down and it came on so loud I jumped. ...then had to hurry up an exit the hub. I was on my cell phone so maybe it is isolated to those devises.

You're right HP does hate that as much as we do because the reader leaves the page. The volume was already turned down and the ad sound had overridden it somehow! So the only option is to leave the page immediately. Not good!

3. Jackie Lynnley profile image84
      Jackie Lynnleyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Not lately (but haven't been here much lately) but yes it has happened to me before and very irritating! I never thought about complaining to HP. Next time I will! lol
      One time, for a long time I had an ad coming in on one of my garden videos that I had done up myself with my song tape and pictures of my flowers! Now how does that happen? I got no help with that but it finally did go away.
      Hope you get help but in the mean time I would just turn the speakers off.

1. janshares profile image94
        jansharesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes, those video ads can be irritating, Jackie. Just wanted you to know that I got your message on one of my hubs. I wish you well, hope to see you over there soon.

Hi Jan,

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

In His Love,

Theresa

1. janshares profile image94
            jansharesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Theresa. A day at a time. God bless you.

2. Jackie Lynnley profile image84

Great! Look forward to it!

2. Faith Reaper profile image82

Thanks, Jackie,

Yes, very frustrating and I do have my sound down on my speakers and so it's as if the video ad overrides it somehow.

Your situation was certainly bizarre!  Glad it went away.

1. Jackie Lynnley profile image84

Yes it really was. How on earth could they get into my personal video where I had my own song tape and photos? I never found out. Guess it could still be doing it off and on, I never check!

4. Christy Kirwan profile image90
      Christy Kirwanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi Faith,

Which ad is this happening with? Could you get a screenshot? Advertisers aren't supposed to be doing this, so we'll report the culprit given enough info.

Oh, thank goodness, Christy,

It seems to happen via my phone.  And it doesn't matter whether it is one of my hubs or someone else's hub, it just starts playing, even when I have the volume turned down on my phone.  One day I step out to the restroom and left my phone where I was, and when I returned I heard this very loud talking, and it turned out to be a video on a hub just started to play on my phone, and loud too, as I stated.

I just clicked on my latest hub to see if anything happened via my phone, and sure enough I saw the video ad start to play at the end of the hub, and then the sound came on full blast.  It is the SeaCoast Bank ad.

However, it seems to be other ads too.  I think one is a yoga ad.

Wonder if it happens to be something related to my settings on my phone?  Regardless, if I have my phone on silent, there should be no sound coming out of it!

What's so bad is that it makes one immediately exit the hub, and I can't even turn the volume down or anything.  So, I can't read the hub or even make a comment, as I have to exit the hub right away for the loud noise ...

1. Venkatachari M profile image86
          Venkatachari Mposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That's too much scary, Faith. I didn't experience that much frightening a situation.
          And, of course, even it happens, I may not know unless I keep the earphones in my ear. (I do not use the computer system to hear to voice. My son doesn't like any noise around. So, I use only ear plugs).

Hi Ven,

Yes, it makes you jump out of your chair, especially when you have the volume all the way down on your cell phone. I didn't see a place were I could mute the video once it started or lower the volume.  I just can't figure out why the video plays so loud when I have my phone on silent mode?

Strange indeed!

2. Christy Kirwan profile image90
          Christy Kirwanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

There are some ads that will autoplay if you hover over them, which is allowed, but out advertisers aren't supposed to have their ads autoplay without a click or scrollover, so I'll look into it. Thanks for the report!

Thank you again, Christy!

I actually do not mind the ads playing, but I do not like to have the sound up while I am trying to read or comment on a hub.  I love the snowboarding ads as they are really cool to watch and they seem to come on automatically, but I can control the volume on those. 

The sound coming on when everything is turned down, is what is so frustrating, and not really the video playing.  But if I can't control the volume of an ad myself, especially via phone, then that's not good at all.

2. Faith Reaper profile image82

Hi again, Christy,

Well, the ads were blasting on again today when I was trying to read via my phone. It is the yoga ad.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)