Adding Bios to Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Jean Bakula profile image93
    Jean Bakulaposted 7 years ago

I never used this feature before. I wrote a bio of 140 characters, the allowed amount. When I tried 3 X to add the bio to all my hubs, I got a message the bio must be 80 characters long. But it is. And I hit "Saved" after I went through the list of each of my hubs and tried to put the bio on all of them. What did I do wrong? Thanks.

1. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

they must mean 80 characters (period).

Jean Bakulaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hey Kenneth,
        I guess that's what they mean. 80 characters isn't much, even with Twitter you get 140. Not that I'm so exciting. Anyway, hope you are doing well, my friend. Enjoy the pretty Spring flowers.

1. kenneth avery profile image79

Dear Jean,
          Thanks for asking about my condition these days. Losing weight with the Mediterranean Diet my cardiologist put me on when I was released from the hospital in November with Congestive Heart Failure.
          Then in February, our only daughter went home to Jesus and this was, to say the least, a blow. Just taking things a day at the time and letting God hide me in His infinite grace.
          Hope you are doing well, Jean. Write me often.

Dear Kenneth,
            I'm at a loss for words, and am so sorry to hear you are suffering the loss of your daughter along with fighting your illness. You have great courage and are a wonderful person. I think everything happens for a reason, but I'll be damned sometimes what those reasons are. I am sending you love and prayers.

I'm learning to live as a widow. My son has been falsely of a serious crime, and it's ruined his career. He was up for a job against a woman, he got the job, and she was vindictive and made such a terrible allegation against him that he was suspended and we've been in court for a year. His life was just getting where he wanted it, and we had not yet come to healing from the loss of my husband/his Dad. So I can't figure out what we are supposed to learn from this.

I plant flowers and meditate, try to do what I can when I'm not paralyzed with grief or fear. Life is tough, isn't it? We have to try hard to appreciate the little things each day. Hang in there, my friend.

1. Say Yes To Life profile image80
              Say Yes To Lifeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Kenneth - so sorry to hear of your loss, also. Losing a child must be the worst pain you can experience. Jean - I had an experience similar to your son when I lived in the Seattle area; that's what caused me to suffer a nervous breakdown. I sincerely hope you can get that cleared up! My condolences also to you regarding your husband.

Say Yes to Life,
                Thanks for your kind encouragement. Knowing you got through what my son is going through gives me hope. I have concerns about his mental health, he's getting depressed. But a lot of the case depends on the mental health issues his accuser has, so it's not a good time. I hope you heal and are able to move on.

2. Kaili Bisson profile image96
      Kaili Bissonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hello Jean
      It is 80-140 characters, with 140 being the max. It is a great way to 'group' your hubs. As an example, I have a number of recipe hubs, so the bio I wrote for those is particular to my cooking skills i.e. it tells people why I am an 'expert' in the kitchen. For my hubs on WWI, I noted that I am a student of history and have visited WWI battle fields.
      I hope this helps  :-)

Thanks Kaili,
        I am pretty knowledgeable in two of my topics, but never thought to do it by grouping. I wrote one bio and tried to put it on all the hubs. Thanks for the info, because the bio didn't really work with all my hubs, sometimes I wrote about whatever I was interested at the time. Best Wishes.

Thanks also to TT2. I studied one of my topics since I was 10, and another for about 20 yrs., so I guess I'm an "expert", at the expense of sounding vain.

2. icv profile image51
    icvposted 7 years ago

Madam, You don't need to assign bio for each hub. Instead create a bio and add hubs related to that bio.
    Say for instance, A group of hubs are under Poetry. Then you give a bio for the group. It should be more than 80 and less than 120.

Aha,
      Thank you icv. That makes sense. So between 80-120 words. I'll try again. Best Regards.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
        Rochelle Frankposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Is it 80 - 120 words ... or characters? Big difference.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

It tells you right on the bio space how many words you have, etc. and stops you if you go to far or warns you if you don't have enough.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 7 years ago

HubPages wants us to use the bio to explain how we are an expert in some one particular  thing. Unfortunately, I know a little about everything, but relatively not much about any one particular thing. I am doomed.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I was thinking the same thing-- the bio is supposed to convince people you are some sort of an expert or authority. I'm not either one or the other in any area.

2. kenneth avery profile image79

"I" am Kenneth's second personality, "Jazz Donovan," the serious one. Well, your post answers a lot of my questions. I know that Kenneth is NOT an expert on any particular area. But women. I can give him credit. He does know a bit about women. Uh, oh. Kenneth is coming back.

3. Kaili Bisson profile image96
      Kaili Bissonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

ha! Me too...

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

You don't have to be a trained "expert", but they do want you to have had personal experiences you can share or be an enthusiast in some area such as, perhaps, dance or selling at flea markets.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)