Kasich says Democracy is no good if it results inmore Democratic votes

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Credence2 profile image79
    Credence2posted 7 years ago

John Kasich, Ohio Governor and GOP contender for the Presidency revealed his true colors just the other day as outlined in the Salon article here today and which I further support with transcripts of his conversation with the Washington Post, the exceprt of which I provide below, beneath the link to the Salon article.

http://www.salon.com/2016/04/21/john_ka … ic_voters/

There are plenty of what can be called rational reasons to not support DC statehood, denying the franchise to people merely because of their party affiliation is not one of them.

The Conservatives and GOP remind us of their fascist ideals and intent everyday to the point that a slip of the tongue was inevitable

Your thoughts.....

ARMARO:  You voted against statehood for D.C. when you were in Congress.

KASICH:  Yes.

ARMAO:  Is that still your position, and do you have–

KASICH:  Yes, I would it say probably is.

ARMAO:  What about voting rights in Congress, voting representatives?

KASICH:  Probably not. I don’t know. I’d have to, I mean, to me, that’s just, I just don’t see that we really need that, okay?  I don’t know. I don’t think so.

ARMAO:  But you realize though that people in D.C. pay taxes, go to war and they have no vote in Congress.

KASICH:  Yeah.

ARMAO:  How is that–

KASICH:  Well look, I am not – I don’t – I am not, because you know what, what it really gets down to if you want to be honest is because they know that’s just more votes in the Democratic Party. That’s what–

ARMAO:  So if there were Republicans in the District, you would have a different position?

KASICH:  Yeah, okay, well look, they send me a bill, I’m president of the United States, I’ll read your editorials.

1. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Typical political double speak BS. Politics in this country is all about control and not representation. They lost that idea long ago and we reinforce it with re-electing them seemingly without question. With an 11% approval rating 96% are re-elected to Congress. WE! are the problem.

2. Live to Learn profile image59
      Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I don't know. It looks like you are either reading too much into it or purposely putting words in his mouth. I read the article and your opening comments. It sounds to me as if he hasn't really put a lot of thought into it. Which, is OK. He's governor of Ohio so it is a little far removed from his day to day musings. He said "“Well look, I am not – I don’t – I am not, because you know what, what it really gets down to if you want to be honest is because they know that’s just more votes in the Democratic Party,”

That, to me, means the Republican party. Had it meant him, I think he would have used the word "I". Although he may have been using the royal "we" and just accidentally said they.

When asked if there were more republicans would he change his position his response was "“Maybe I’ll have to flip-flop my position, OK?  I don’t know.”  That isn't doing anything other than saying I don't know, and somewhat sarcastically in the process. As if he knows the interviewer is biased and is simply letting them feel good about their prejudice.

Geez. Can we give the candidates a break? The end of the world isn't at the tip of every comment they make. I think this guy, given the chance to hear all sides would come to what he believed was a fair conclusion. I don't see anything in your article that would say otherwise.

Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Ok, L to L, but like it is for Trump, Clinton or Sanders, these people need to weigh what it is they say as a big spotlight is on them. Many of us associate such comments with our perceptions of the voter supression controversy. That is making it harder to vote for certain people rather than easier. That was not the way it was before, now attempting to reduce times that franchisees can cast their ballots, etc. The kind of comment Kasich makes reflect on this accusation that the GOP has less than an honest goal in pursuit of this objective.

BTW, this man seems to have a problem with the 'loose lip' syndrome. Wasn't long ago that he made an unfortunate remark when asked about his ideas for solutions to the rape crisis on Ohio campuses. Yes, he can provide an explanation for the comment that women need to avoid parties where alcohol is served if they did not want to be raped but put no onus on the men to check their behavior. Too many situations of errant speaking and unfortunate comments points to a pattern rather than an accident.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre … ohol-women

1. lions44 profile image93
          lions44posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Let's call it good for now, Credence.  But remember, Kasich is the dad of 2 daughters.  He wants to protect them.  It's just advice that any dad would give his daughters.  Is it realistic? No.  I think many people read too much into each word spoken instead of looking at the man/woman in their entirety.   Keep posing questions.  We've had fun.  Thx.

I would give the same advice to my daughter, but paternalistic approach leaves a great deal to be desired.

I am not impressed with Kasich neither in his entirety nor through his spoken words.

I will keep on stirring up the pot, it is fun... thank you.

2. Live to Learn profile image59
          Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Loose lip syndrome is probably less of a problem than the number of media outlets attempting to cause each candidate they don't like to be cast in the worst possible light. We, as voters, if we want to focus on the possibility of negative have a lot of fodder to sift through to back up our desires. I think it reflects poorly on us to allow ourselves to be so easily manipulated.

Kasich is a good man. There are plenty of reasons not to vote for him. I just don't see any reason to find molehills and attempt to create mountains. It isn't just him and, of course, it isn't just you. All of the candidates have to deal with everyone scrambling to find something bad to say. Whether it is a fair assessment or not.

2. lions44 profile image93
    lions44posted 7 years ago

He's honest. Why do so many Democrats support D.C. statehood?  Out of the kindness of their hearts? Don't be ridiculous.  Why should the GOP acquiescence to more Democratic votes?  D.C. was never intended to be a State.  Kasich is a good man and a tremendous public servant.  Of all the things to complain about him, this seems pretty silly.

Both of you are missing the point, I did not say that I supported DC statehood, and as you say Calculus, there are ways to accommodate these voters without making DC a state.

My problem is with Kasich's reason for opposing the idea, 'too many Democratic Party voters"?

So, I guess the issue would not be as contentious if the District had a majority of voters that vote for the GOP? Is he against the idea of DC statehood in principle or is it because there are too many black/democratic leaning voters there?

It may have been honest, but it is stupid for Kasich to let that cat out of the bag. As GOP's responses seem to be based on a concept of disenfranchisement as a solution, ie. voter suppression.

For me as a minority and progressives in general, all you have done is reaffirm why we don't vote GOP and why it is critical that you, your ideology, your party and shrinking constituency be soundly defeated this fall. Perhaps this will send the appropriate message....

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 7 years agoin reply to this

i understood your point but kasich has a 0.0000001% chance of becoming the nominee and a lower chance of becoming president so why waste any mental energy on him?  i think a more interesting topic is DC's lack of voting representatives in congress (i think they have a representative who can sit on committees and debate but not vote).  but if you want to talk about the nonentity kasich i'll leave you to it.

1. colorfulone profile image79
          colorfuloneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  Kasich has already been eliminated mathematically.

2. Credence2 profile image79

But, Kasich is a leader, mover and shaker within the party of Lincoln, so words from people of such prominence i am going to take seriously. You don't have to been running for President to showcase the foundation of the GOP. He is governor of a prominent American state, hardly a nonentity. I am going to hold the GOP accountable for the words from their Senators, Representatives and State Governors.

The issue of DC lack of voting representatives in Congress is an interesting topic and has been debated on its merit for many years. But, when a leader talks about disenfranchisement as a solution, it strikes below the belt in the search for that solution.

2. lions44 profile image93
        lions44posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Credence, one should never apologize for looking out for their own interests.  Whether it be politics or life in general.  Selfishness can be a virtue sometimes.  If Kasich truly believes that D.C. as a State will lead to more failed Dem policies, why not oppose it.  I rather have someone tell us their honest opinion than hide it.  (See Trump and HRC).

Lions44,

Looking out for your own interests are fine, as long as you do it without cheating. Let the ideas rise and fall on its own through debate and discussion, not disenfranchisement of people who have a right to vote in order to get your way.
          If a  racist attitude is his honest opinion, that is his right but there are going to be consequences, as long as people realize that I guess that it is all good.

3. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 7 years ago

A simple solution is to count the residents of the DC as residents of Maryland. Let them vote in Maryland elections, be governed under Maryland laws, and be represented in congress by Maryland's representatives (whom they elect.) Making DC a state is an overly complicated way to fix the issue of not having congressional representation.  And adding the residents of DC to Maryland's population would probably give MD an extra seat in the House as DC is currently about 600,000 people.

4. pagesvoice profile image73
    pagesvoiceposted 7 years ago

Kasich has made an effort to give off the persona of the "nice guy" during this campaign. However, upon further review, Mr. Kasich is a staunch conservative with entrenched conservative ideas which harm women's rights, social security, medicare, the environment (fracking), and almost everything else I don't support.

That is pretty much along the lines of what I have been thinking as well...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)