Does you count on your HP money to survive?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (47 posts)
  1. misterhollywood profile image87
    misterhollywoodposted 7 years ago

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12998572.jpg

Do you count on the money (at least in part) to survive? If Hubpages decided to shut down, would it threaten your livelihood?

1. kenneth avery profile image80
      kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Not really. And as publisher emeritus, Stan Lee, Marvel Comics' trademark saying goes, "Nuff said."

2. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

He he no........

3. gaymuscleandlove profile image76
      gaymuscleandloveposted 7 years agoin reply to this

No but I would feel it if it went away.

As "Opie Taylor," remarked on the episode where he argued with Andy for more money without working for it . . .If HP went away, "It would make me really sad."

4. FlourishAnyway profile image95
      FlourishAnywayposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Nah.  It's just pizza money, not rent money.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

After six years I think I finally know how to do things to where it is possible to make a living writing online. I said 'possible,' which is a different thing from 'probable.'

I need several hundred articles which do as well as my 20 best articles. I'm nowhere near there. But it is possible for me to get there. So I keep working on it, because in truth, I'm more proud of the money I make from writing than I am of the money I've made repairing air conditioners, installing wiring in houses, or selling cars.

misterhollywoodposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree - the money you make from writing holds a much different meaning than a transactional job. I think part of this has to do with how much you have to work your tail off ... With blood, sweat and tears.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I have no clue who makes the most money on this website. A couple years ago I was trying to find out who likely did, and I saw a profile here of a person who had 13 million page views. THIRTEEN MILLION!!!! This was a couple years ago. The person was writing about astrology, and I think it was a she, and she was living in India or somewhere. I bet that person surely made their living from money made right here.

But I still don't know if that person, and if I remembered the name I would find her profile and show you - I still don't know if that was the person who was getting the most traffic of everyone.

Wow that's a ton of page views. I can't even imagine the money that might be. I know as someone who has written on that topic and others who have authored hubs on astrology here as well that it's a tough topic to compete in. Real tough.

2. UnnamedHarald profile image91
      UnnamedHaraldposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hear hear! Many times I could save more money with judicious use of coupons than what I make on HubPages, but I am so proud of the money I make from MY writing, it has a special meaning to me. That said, I wouldn't mind a hundred-fold increase.

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 7 years ago

I could have lived solely off what I made from HubPages in 2010-11, but ever since HubPages got penalized and Google declared war on content farms in 2012, a ton of users bailed, the traffic has dropped off, and by my calculations, the CPMs are down something like 90%.

In fact, it was the massive revenue drop that made HubPages change the rules so that we are no longer allowed to discuss specific earnings anymore.  Previously, people were allowed to be precisely specific.

Sorry to hear this. Your hubs are phenomenal!

1. gmwilliams profile image85

+1,000,000,000,000.000=Relache is the queen of HubPages.   She has such wisdom.  She is phenomenal in many ways.

Totally agree with this statement.

4. alikhan3 profile image92
    alikhan3posted 7 years ago

Wish I could .............

5. profile image53
    Artweeraposted 7 years ago

Yas I like you received

6. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 7 years ago

Good lord no.
    If I were depending on this site to survive... I'd be dead.

Haha - well, I am just asking if it is an important part of your income:)

7. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 7 years ago

Hahahahahahaha... seriously? Basically, what Relache said.

I do depend on my own websites to survive though. Which I'm doing right now actually, as both myself and my husband are unemployed.

Hi, WryLit,
      I am sorry for your unemployment. But I have in the past when HP was not as complex, saw and read about a hubber whose monetary rewards were estimated at $800 a month. I would love that. I know you would. I will, with your permission, pray for you and your husband's job situation. And please, have a peaceful day, if at all possible.

Used to receive monthly payouts but no more.  Oh well, things will hopefully improve in that regard.   Things come & go & come yet again.   Who knows what the future may hold.

gmwilliams, if your hubs are being viewed/clicked, and you reach HPs pay-out of $50, and have an account like PayPal, HP will send you the pay-out overage. I know. I wish mine were more.

2. WryLilt profile image89
        WryLiltposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Kenneth. I do receive several times that from my website now, thankfully.

I've just started a full time job using all the skills I originally learned at Hubpages. SEO, Social Media, Copywriting and Webdesign!

1. Solaras profile image96
          Solarasposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Congrats on the new job! I am sure you will be very successful at it!

2. misterhollywood profile image87

Wrylit - I aqm sorry to hear about your employment situation and that of your husband's. Two people unemployed can't be easy.

8. Chriswillman90 profile image90
    Chriswillman90posted 7 years ago

I'm sure a few did years ago when making money on here was lucrative. Perhaps the niche sites will give a second life to those who have lost a ton of traffic/money over the years.

I too can remember when the money was VERY good here (without giving out the amount). It was enough to pay the rent - I will say that.

9. firstcookbooklady profile image84
    firstcookbookladyposted 7 years ago

Yes. It would threaten my livelihood.

10. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 7 years ago

No. HP earnings has never been more than extra change for me that I don't depend on. Making payout is a treat that doesn't happen regularly but is always much appreciated.

I wonder if some people really got used to depending on it and then found out that wasn't a good idea - you know? Love your hubs by the way.

11. NateB11 profile image89
    NateB11posted 7 years ago

I don't rely on it, but it sho do help.

I hear that!

12. Solaras profile image96
    Solarasposted 7 years ago

I count on every penny to survive. For the last two years I could count on HP to pay one major utility bill a month.  Since Pethelpful, this month has been far and away the best month here ever.  If it can maintain these gains, HP can pay all of my utility bills.  I would love to see it be able to cover the mortgage too. lol

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That's cool! Hope it continues smile

2. DrMark1961 profile image96
      DrMark1961posted 7 years agoin reply to this

What a great attitude.
      I was always happy when HP paid for all of my pet´s feed bills. Now they pay for all of my utilities too.

HP paid for my online Amazon purchases on many occasions.

3. misterhollywood profile image87

Wouldn't that be great!

4. Mick Beet profile image69
      Mick Beetposted 7 years agoin reply to this

me too....lol

<link snipped>

13. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 7 years ago

I make more in half an hour in my real work as a freelance translator than I do in a year on Hubpages.

Not surprisingly, I am simply leaving the hubs I have to rot and only drop in for the odd chat here and there.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If you ever want to subcontract out a translation from New York English to California English, drop me a note. big_smile

Nice to see you again, WriteAngled.

14. Protasker profile image84
    Protaskerposted 7 years ago

hahaa, you're joking rightt? I haven't seen any money yet.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
      DrMark1961posted 7 years agoin reply to this

If you are not making anything, you really should look into improving your titles. If you are writing about the secret life of Abraham Lincoln, and the title of the hub is "Abraham Lincoln", how do you really expect anyone to know that? Internet searchers are unlikely to open a hub with such a vague title.
      Think about what you type into the search engine, and what you open up to read.
      There are a lot of good forums on improving traffic.

15. Margie Lynn profile image89
    Margie Lynnposted 7 years ago

I would love to make a little for groceries! We are both retired, my husband planned on working part time and he had an accident and then few days after came home ended back in hospital with five bypass heart surgery! So not able to do the job he was going to do! So any money would be treasured in our household! I am just starting to write so probable long ways until I get dollars! I love the site and all the great articles everyone writes!

16. Melissa A Smith profile image96
    Melissa A Smithposted 7 years ago

Hubpages has paid for some additional exotic animals and cages.

17. OpDevils profile image50
    OpDevilsposted 7 years ago

I make my hubs to learn from them. It's not about money, it's about passion and what you love.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)