I quit the challenge

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (49 posts)
  1. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

I thought it would be a good idea to join the challenge to challenge myself etc... but it has had the opposite effect plus all this anti-hub... flag them ... etc... crap is a bit ridiculous.  So I quite. big_smile

1. Davinagirl3 profile image59
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you don't feel like doing it, for whatever reason, don't.  I didn't even start out to do it because I would put too much pressure on myself and stunt my creativity.  I read some of your hubs though, and they are really good.  I don't see why you need to pump out x amount of hubs in x amount of time. Take a breather! lol

2. darkside profile image65
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What's this "anti-hub... flag them ..." stuff?

1. Whitney05 profile image84
        Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/18217

Basically, it's just flagging low quality, adult, etc hubs whether they were for the challenge or not. It's not 30 day challenge specific. Just tons extra low quality stuff being produced now that the 30 day challenge gives the idea that quantity is more important than quality to new-comers, the misunderstood, and such.

1. fortunerep profile image68
          fortunerepposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thanks whitney, you def. explained it better!!

dori

2. darkside profile image65

So a hubber who has been here for 3 months has written a hub that has managed to Sandra's hubchallenge?

Sandra, hopefully you'll be able to find a pace that won't stress you, and that you don't get distracted or put off so easily by what other people are doing.

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Not sure whether to congratulate or bash you. What do you want? wink

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol funny.  I don't know pick one!  big_smile

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL I am neutral on this. You tried, it did not fit you, you quit. All OK IMO, and now you know that this kind of thing is not for you smile

3. fortunerep profile image68
    fortunerepposted 14 years ago

There are always both sides when there is a challenge, u are a good writer and I would continue if I were you.  The flaggers and complainers and spammers have always been here and I doubt they will ever leave.  Don't get discouraged, I have lost a dear friend here at HP because of that, just write. 

dori

1. profile image0

It's not that soo much but something about traffic. wink  But thank you very much for you support.  I do appreciate it. big_smile

4. fortunerep profile image68

there is a hub called anit-challenge I belive thats the name and someone was talking earlier about flagging hubs that are produced to quickly without proper grammer and the usual India and Marketing Hubs.

doir

5. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

I said I would do it because freelance work was slow, but of course now I'm up to my eyeballs in it and the hubs I have published I forgot to post the logo on or whatever.

It's feast or famine. Always.

Perk up Sandra. It's not that big of a deal really. Do what you can. smile

1. Ryan Hupfer profile image60
      Ryan Hupferposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey pgrundy, you don't need to add the logo to the Hubs that you publish for the HubChallenge. I just wanted Hubbers to use one of the logos if they happen to blog about it somewhere else besides HubPages.

1. Koby profile image60
        Kobyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh, really?  I didn't know that, thanks big_smile

6. Whitney05 profile image84
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

fortunerep, I just wanted to make sure darkside knew that it's not specifically geared to flag all challenge hubs.

Low quality has always been a problem and always will be- with or without the challenge to write more hubs.

7. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Exactly, I'm doing this challenge for myself not anyone else. I am sure I'm writing at my usual standard. Of course, I've fallen behind a couple of days smile But, it's a long weekend coming up and I don't have any plans...

8. Lisa HW profile image64
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I think the Challenge is a nice thing if people are up for it.  I have no doubt that people who, by nature, aim for high-quality Hubs are going to keep doing that, no matter how many they write.  If there's three things in the world I don't want or need in my life right now, it's more challenge, more work, and more pressure - so I'm staying on the sidelines this time around too.  I feel "non-participating" (which I am), but I have to be ok with that.

9. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I think the challenge is nice also, but I'm not sure I can keep up.  I want to make sure my hubs are good & that people want to read them. 

Sandra, sorry you are getting flagged & such.  Hope you'll continue to write smile

10. viryabo profile image93
    viryaboposted 14 years ago

I know the hub challenge is good for me. Im loving every bit of it and it may help me improve my writing skills.
    I am glad i joined the challenge.

11. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

The newbie who wrote the "anti-challenge" Hub has obviously been talking to those who were most upset by the first Challenge.  They all seem convinced that the second challenge is going to be just as divisive - which I don't believe it will be, because it's lower key and a separate sub-forum has been created for it, so it doesn't swamp the boards.

She thinks HubPages admin is behind her, because they have posted positive comments on the Hub - unfortunately I'm almost certain there's a communication gap there. 

Maddie appreciates any help she can get in identifying spammy and sub-standard Hubs, but I suspect there's a big difference between what HubPages considers sub-standard and what the "anti-challenge" envisages.  I'm pretty sure she's going to get swamped with Hubs being flagged for scantily clad girls, poor spelling, and for "pushing" a product even if there are no links in the text.

12. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

I am on day 6 but only on hub 5, however the challenge has been good for me and since I started it my viewings have gone over a hundred. It's a good feeling to know your work is being read. I agree with what everyone has said, If the challenge is not benafitting you don't do it, also you have a good amount of great hubs you don't need to worry.

13. fortunerep profile image68
    1. Julie-Ann Amos profile image65
      Julie-Ann Amosposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi - can you please post challenge hubs in the correct thread - at the top of the forum?

14. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

I think the concern is moreso over new members dropping in and thinking 'I just write 30 hubs of any caliber in 30 days and I'm seen as one of the guys/gals'.

What many new guys/gals don't know is that many of us members put a lot of time into our hubs .. whether we write one a week or one every hour. It's noble that the members here do not want to see the quality degrade, but we also must realize that some of us (not including myself) are capable of (and have the free time to) pump out several hubs a day, with or without a challenge involved.

If I see a hub that needs to be flagged (whether part of the contest or not) I'll do the right thing and flag it, but I definitely will not flag a hub because another member decides to take part in a challenge.

To my eyes, this rift between the challenge people and the anti-challenge people is an invisible line. Those against the challenge want to see it, and create that line in doing so. And why? To preserve quality? Me thinks not. I think this contest takes people out of the forums and puts them in front of the keyboard writing, which I see as the true angst here. Hubbers are going to work instead of entertaining us, and to some that's a bad thing.

However, the forums are really a piece of hubpages designed to allow us to interact and get to know each other better. The true purpose of the site is to share articles, and these people are being pulled toward that intent. We can't be angry over that, nor should we. Trust me, there are plenty of us not in the challenge (including myself, as I am already challenged enough. So, for those not wanting to compete, stay here and babble with the likes of me and others. smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually, the true purpose of the site is primarily to earn money by writing articles for the general public.  The people who are upset by the challenge are people who see HubPages as mainly about sharing articles with other Hubbers, i.e. a social networking site for writers. 

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with using the site for that purpose, just that those who choose to do so must realise that HubPages does, primarily, exist for commercial purposes.

1. Silver Rose profile image65
        Silver Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said. The sites that have been purely writers groups tend to close their doors because they don't bring in enough income to pay for the domain.

Also - we are in a recession, there are a lot of people out there who need to earn something from hubpages to put food on the table. It's mean to hound them just because they are exploring the marketing aspect of things. Why are people so snobby about the need to earn money?

As for all the argument about "quality" - the hubpages algorithm takes care of that. If there is rubbish pumped out, the hubscore drops, and I understand that if a hubscore drops too low or if there is a particularly spammy page, the "no-index" function kicks in, so that the Googlebots know not to even index the page. This is why Hubpages is controlling spam better than Squidoo (which relies on humans to flag instead).

So stop spending so much time worrying about what other people are putting onto hubpages and use the time instead to craft your own beautiful hubs :-)

1. darkside profile image65

I do believe it's the nofollow (on the outbound links) that kicks in on either the hub falling below 40 hubscore or the hubber themself dropping under 75 hubberscore.

But indeed, the hubscore algorithm does do a wonderful job of sorting the wheat from the chaff.

1. getpaidtopost profile image40
            getpaidtopostposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes it does seem to be nofollow, I just checked this via the source code, it shows nofollow on outgoing links when a hub score is low.

15. getpaidtopost profile image40
    getpaidtopostposted 14 years ago

Congratulations wink I think the pressure for this sort of challenge is immense, unless you copy other articles then translate, translate then translate again. Or unless you spit words The challenge is very difficult.

The reason I did not start the hubchallenge was because I also have a life outside of hubpages including a family. If I used all of my, already limited time on creating hubs, I think my wife would leave me. and i would go insane. I'm happy with the forums and creating a new hub every week or so.

Congrats on quitting the hubchallenge smile

16. Randy Godwin profile image62
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

I made my living as a professional musician for many years and in the process lost some of the joy of music because it became a job instead of fun.  I write for my own enjoyment mainly although I have sold some work.  Challenges are fun for some I suppose, for others the monetary aspect may be enticing, but for me it adds a certain compulsory part of writing I do not enjoy.  But to each his/her own.

17. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Really, one hub a day is not unmanageable. There is no reason for it to be that difficult for a writer without having to basically write the same article over and over again. Of course, I'm 2 days behind...but that's another story smile

The way I look at it, if I wrote for a living I would be under deadlines. I just view the challenge as my own deadline.

But, yes, it is hard when you work all day and have other responsibilities.

18. Julie-Ann Amos profile image65
    Julie-Ann Amosposted 14 years ago

Too true!  I only manage it because I stockpile content from over the years and never delete anything and rework it into hubs constantly.  It works for me and takes the burden out of wanting to get things published if I'm too busy to create something from scratch...

19. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Hunh.  I joined the Hubchallenge because I was ALREADY writing as hardcore as I possibly could (and still am), having no other life, and desperately needing to get my writing income beyond pennies per day to those magical dollars per day. 

When I look at other ways to earn income from writing online, they all turn to ashes in my eyes (yes, those do make the eyes red and runny).  But when it comes to writing here, I'm obsessed.  Call it addicted if you like, but that's such a weak  word for what I do. 

Despite all of the signs and Forum posts to the contrary, I'm convinced I can "do it my own way", do it right here on HP, AND earn some decent income...eventually.  It will require a breakthrough set of Hubs like none have ever seen.

When I do get that magical wizardly unbelievable marvelous stupendous breakthrough, I'll probably keep it to myself for a few months to make sure it's real...but then I'll let everybody here know.

My daily pattern is to drag out in the a.m. when the sun bakes  me out of the steel storage shed in which I sleep, usually somewhere between seven and ten a.m.  Get the generator going.  Errands for gas and ice for the cooler (fridge broke) if needed, then write all day and all night.  This may produce one Hub or two.

AFTER all that is done--or perhaps with a brief break between Hubs--I'll hit the Forums as a way of winding down a little and maybe helping somebody out if I'm lucky.  Then one game of computer chess, a round of computer solitaire, shut things down, and back to sleep around 3 a.m.

That's all, Folks!

So:  The Hubchallenge is just putting a tag on something I'm already doing. 

Oh.  Could've said that in fewer words....

Ah.  One final point:  I never stockpile anything except experience.  Got enough of that to run a few more thousand Hubs out there....

20. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 14 years ago

The good thing about the challenge is that it allows hubbers a chance to pick topics that are evergreen and are being searched for on the web, hubpages is helping those who may have less experience writing a chance to build up their hubs for more views and more clicks.

Some of the best ways of going about the 30 hubs in 30 days challenge is to not look at it as a challenge, next write out on a piece of paper some topics you would be interested in writing about, the format can be simplified and it always helps to do alot of reading, the more familiar you are with a particular subject matter, the easier it will be to write from an objective perspective.

Some other suggestions would be to look at all the tools hubpages provides on each hub, there is polls, rss, news, videos, along with amazon (which if you go to the amazon website and look around you can come up with some great ideas of products to write about, or shopping trends)

Hope that helps!

21. Silver Rose profile image65
    Silver Roseposted 14 years ago

darkside, there's a "no-index" function too according to Paul Edmondson's blog. Here's the post:

http://pauledmondson.blogspot.com/2007/ … ntent.html

Here's what he said:

"if you want to prevent SEO spam, then the best thing to do is to stop the benefits. In SEO language, noindex the page (prevents google, yahoo, msn and other search bots from including the page in their index) and nofollow outbound links. SEO guys love link juice. They want a high quality link and any traffic is just a bonus.

HubPages uses a scoring system called HubScore to apply this type of system to the content."

Given that he mentions no-indexing, it's pretty certain that Hubpages are doing this to some hubs, and also applying "no-follow" to others. At the bottom on the post he laments that Squidoo allows everything to be visible to the searchbots and thinks this is source of their problems.

22. Pete Maida profile image60
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

The primary purpose the site is to earn money by writing articles for the general public.  Does quality count for anything?  How does getting people to write articles as fast as they can do anything but show lack of interest in qaulity.  It proves people don't really care about what their writing as long as it makes sense and it counts as a hub.
    I'm not playing.

There are million sites for writing articles to make money.  I thought hubpages was a little more than that.  I guess I was wrong.

You seem to be under the impression that if you have goals of writing say 1 hub a day, you automatically produce "poor quality" and that the only good writers are those who write when the mood strikes.

That's not correct. All real writers (i.e. those who get published) set writing goals for themselves. Hemmingway used to write every morning whether he felt like it or not. Every published author has set themselves goals of writing a certain amount a day otherwise they would never have met their deadlines. Journalists operate to even tighter deadlines.

The secret to writing is that the more you do it, the more skilled you get at it. It's those who refuse to set goals who never make it to being published. They pfaff around too much, they don't hone their skills by Doing, and instead spend too much time lamenting what everyone else is doing.

Both the real writers and the internet marketers will have no problem with this challenge. It's only the dilettantes who have a problem.

1. Pete Maida profile image60
        Pete Maidaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Real writers don't have to play other people's games.  I just revived a dead project containing a small amount of information and turned it into a complete novella in a few weeks. It was revived because some wonderful hubbers asked me to.  That's the kind of challenge I am into. 
        I have seen hubs that have been broken in severals hubs just for the purpose of having more hubs.  I have seen cookie cutter hubs with no variation other than the name of the product and some general information.  So I beg to differ.  Real writers write on a schedule and they write what they feel.

No-one is forcing anyone to play anyone else's "games". The Hub Challenge is flexible, you start when you want and you stop when you want, and if you don't feel like it you don't have to do it. (I personally haven't started yet I'm still doing my keyword research).

The only one into "force" is you trying to force other HubChallengers to stop.

I'm happy that you've written your novella, and I hope you get it published. But you need to understand that hubpages is about self-publishing and they allow people to publish anything they want. If people want to produce stuff other than novellas, they are free to do so.

As for this whole thing about quality - a) it's in the eye of the beholder - I've read some poetry and fiction on here that is dire, and some articles about toasters that were great, and b) published authors also produce stuff that is not really "quality" - they go back and rewrite, and sometimes they discard. But in the first instance they get stuff written, because if you don't there is no material to revise. Hemmingway used to write 500 words a morning (his little "game" if you like), not all of it was great and not all of it survived the editing process, but for him (and many writers) the important thing was to break the block and write in the first place. Setting challenges is a similar thing.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Pete, I agree all your comments had relevance to the 100 Hubs challenge. I agree with you that 100 Hubs in 30 days was too much, and affected quality.  But that's done now - let it go. This new challenge is not over-hyped and doesn't even have a start and end date - the writer decides.

It's not about playing a game and it's not about competing.  It's about writers helping each other to keep motivated to write regularly.  Just because you're an established writer who's got it altogether, doesn't mean other people won't find a little peer group support helpful.

2. Lissie profile image76
        Lissieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's so worth repeating - I am completely bermused by published authors who have a problem with writers here being persuaded to write daily - I thought that was the first thing they taught in creative writing 101? Or do they just sit around all semester thinking about whether or not they actually want to write something for their thesis?

And its the Internet - you an always go back and fix up the grammar later if it bothers you! Or re-write the entire piece!

2. Jane@CM profile image59
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think quality counts for everything. When a quality article is published, I believe the money might come in, but I couldn't say, as I haven't made a dime and don't expect to.  If it happens, great, if not, great.  I came here to write, improve my writing and hope to expand myself through quality feedback from hubbers who are well versed in writing. smile

3. darkside profile image65

Pete, you spend a hell of a lot of time complaining about what others are doing. You must be trawling through a lot of crap to justify your numerous posts in this sub-forum.

Here's a tip, stop reading the crap. I know it's out there. But guess what, it doesn't affect me. HubScore will sort them out. Meanwhile I'm focused on the quality of MY hubs.

If it rankles you that badly then avoid this sub-forum altogether.

23. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

After deciding to quit the challenge I decided to be on again.  I guess I can't help it.  Once I started the writing challenge on the 23rd ( I got a head start out of excitement) I guess it sorta inspired me...

12 hubs later, I haven't seen much increase in traffic let alone money (dropped actually) but considering I have done more work in actual key word research and campaigning, I am anticipating more revenue and traffic in time. 

One thing I considered was writing for the future.  I read some where that a lot of hubbers considered this and when the time was right, they saw huge jumps in traffic.

I think another hubber, Marissa said that sometimes she doesn't see a lot of traffic at first but after the first month it increases and then more and more etc... This I have seen in target specific hubs and these are the ones giving me money. big_smile

1. glendoncaba profile image74
      glendoncabaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There you go orgasm hub goddess big_smile

Even tantric people get a little depressed sometimes.  It helps to clean the soul, doesn't it?  Now you get right back up and keep going, no bedroom pun intended. 

I'm two articles behind too, but I've got to try to earn my keep in real life until I become an online guru.

1. profile image0

lol!  Your funny.  I sorta wish I didn't write that piece, nonetheless I don't want to delete it because I think it is really good.  Google... well I don't think it is personal, I just think they have a problem with the word orgasm. lol

But true enough, I do usually get right back up and keep going!  So good for you for being only a couple behind.  Have you posted your hubs in the hubchallenge link thread yet? 

If you want some help you should visit my profile for some tips on getting more traffic and income. Not that I am one one to brag at the moment but I do know it works. 

After I started campaigning, using my trackers and backlinking, my traffic shot up from a measly 67 page impressions a day with nearly 0 revenue to about 1000 and about 2.00 a day pretty much over night.  So... it might be worth checking out. 

Good luck.  I will be looking for you links in the hubchallenge link thread. big_smile

24. viryabo profile image93
    viryaboposted 14 years ago

Im still very much in. My traffic has increased and my earnings has shot up over 200%, and im expecting it to improve further. Ive written 11 hubs for the challenge so far.
    Im enjoying this and please if you've started, try hard not to quit. You will benefit in the long run. smile

1. Julie-Ann Amos profile image65
      Julie-Ann Amosposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said - the challenge is working well for a LOT of new people.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)