Niche Sites Look Awesome But . . .

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)
  1. EricDockett profile image95
    EricDockettposted 7 years ago

The new designs for the niche sites look fantastic. Much, much better than the sterile layout when they were originally launched. However, in my opinion that "Write for Us" button at the top has got to go. It detracts from an otherwise amazing site and looks amateur.

Do we not want to put our best foot forward and at least create the appearance of a professional site featuring capable writers? The button makes it look like the site is desperate to get content from just about anyone. This makes readers less likely to trust the information.

Anyone willing and able to produce content for these sites will find their way to where they need to go through the links at the bottom of the page.

1. Solaras profile image95
      Solarasposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Exactly

2. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree, I was thinking the same thing. To me, it makes the site not look like an authority/niche site.

2. Jayne Lancer profile image91
    Jayne Lancerposted 7 years ago

I agree. If there has to be a "write for us" link, it should be contained within the footer in my opinion.

3. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 7 years ago

We do want to try a few different messages so that readers that come through the homepage of a network site know that they can participate and that the site is part of HubPages.

There is a fair bit of design work to do. Much of it is in progress. Thanks for the feedback and stay tuned.

4. profile image61
    corinnposted 7 years ago

When I returned to HubPages this year, one of my first articles was immediately taken to the "Wander Wisdom" site, which I understood to be one of HubPages "sister" sites, but I was surprised to see "Write for us," on that page, as already had possession of my article.  I feel that if the sister sites can take articles as they please, then we already write for them.  Therefore, perhaps, if an author is already currently writing for HubPages, "Write for us," should not appear on the sister pages for the authors (only non-authors should see them).  If I were new to the site, I would appreciate knowing the ease of being able to be an author for the site though, so overall, I do not have a huge issue with the "Write for us," but I do understand the points made above, in the other comments.

1. julieann26 profile image83
      julieann26posted 7 years agoin reply to this

All of the niche sites are owned by HubPages - they are not "sister" sites owned by somebody else.

When you write for a website that is not owned by you, your articles are owned by that website, so they do have the right to move your article to another website on their network.

1. Susana S profile image93
        Susana Sposted 7 years agoin reply to this

HubPages does not own our articles. As writers we retain full copyright and can remove our work from HubPages or its sister sites at any time.

2. EricDockett profile image95
      EricDockettposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Also: The "Write for Us" button is not for Hubbers. HubPages already knows you write for them. smile The point is it should NOT be shown to non-Hubbers. It just looks bad.

It's like going to an NBA game and seeing: Los Angeles Lakers - Play for Us!

5. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 7 years ago

Yup I pointed this out on Pethelpful right when it was first launched. But as Paul says let's wait and see

6. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 7 years ago

I wish the new sites home pages would look like this altered image:

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13077279_f1024.jpg

I agree with the o.p. and everyone else. Let us remove the cheap invitation "Write for Us", as if we were indiscriminately begging for content. It lowers our reputation.

Besides, the invitation is incorrect anyway. Jo public is asked to write for a particular niche site, but then they have to join HubPages, in their eyes, a totally different site, with a slim hope of ever being published on the site they responded to. So that is misleading.

We've said it before and say it again: Please remove "Write for Us" so prominently displayed

Newbies can click on "learn More" or the footer if they are really interested in writing  for us.

1. EricDockett profile image95
      EricDockettposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Did you see the redesigns? Check out Spinditty and PetHelpful. They look great.

I liked the minimalist thing well enough, but I do like the new look better. Without the button. smile

1. Solaras profile image95
        Solarasposted 7 years agoin reply to this

PetHelpful looks a little jumbly for my taste.  It's like a crowded Pinterest page.  Somewhere in between the minimalist and this difficult-to-navigate page would suit me better.

2. NateB11 profile image89
        NateB11posted 7 years agoin reply to this

This is the first time I've looked at the redesigns and I like them a lot. I agree, the only problem is that Write for Us thing.

7. profile image61
    corinnposted 7 years ago

How do you know what the Niche sites are called?

1. Sue Adams profile image95
      Sue Adamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You can find all the new sites here:

http://hubpages.com/help/sites-editorial-policy

8. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 7 years ago

Yes, I like the new design except for the dreaded "write for us" button, which makes us look like beginners. It is also misleading as they are invited to write for HubPages and not for the site they sign up to.

9. WordCrafter09 profile image66
    WordCrafter09posted 7 years ago

I don't have a problem with the "Write For Us" thing.  HP has always said the idea is to be inclusive, so now that there are some standards to meet it pretty much means "inclusive as long as the article is of a certain level quality".  Writing-minded people generally know (whether online or in print pubs) to go looking for submission guidelines.  There are many people who either aren't generally "writing minded" or don't think what they have to write about is anything anyone could view as "worth reading".  So, to me, since writing is "the main idea" of contributors here it makes sense (even "important sense") to have those invitations to write where they are (or at least not buried somewhere in tiny print. 

Besides, since original and non-duplicate content is the rule here I think the "Write For Us" thing is all the more relevant.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)