What on earth is the issue with this hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (24 posts)
  1. greenmind profile image94
    greenmindposted 7 years ago

They ask me to fix it and I fix it; then they ask me to fix it again ad I fix it again; repeat five times now and I have no idea what they want. The emails are SO VAGUE and I'm sick of trying to guess what's triggering the filter. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

http://hubpages.com/art/Puerto-Rican-Sea-Glass

btw, I have plenty of featured hubs and actually make payout every month, so it's not like I don't know how to write a decent hub.

Grrrrrrrr.

1. lions44 profile image95
      lions44posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I just read your hub. There are spelling errors along with some awkward grammar.  Now, have I seen worse on HP?  Yes. So I'm a little surprised you still having a hard time. But I have heard that the HP standards are getting tougher with each review.  So maybe that's the biggest change. Errors that were overlooked previously, are now being flagged.  Not sure.

Anyway, do another spelling and grammar check.  That should do it.  By the way, I learned a lot about sea glass. Thx.

2. profile image0
      Shirl Urso-Farmerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi Greenmind,

I'm a Hubpages newbie, and I'm not completely sure about some of the types and styles of images and formatting that are preferred yet, (I just have the basics down) so I'll just comment on grammar. I hope you don't mind.
      I see an error at ..." and it's not ot exactly rare, either.." It should read, "and it's not exactly rare, either.."
      You may want to change 'PR' to Puerto Rico.
      I think a semi-colon is appropriate where you have a colon after 'true:'
      There's a grammatical error at "but if you're awwaare you can tell...'
      It should read "but if you're aware, you can tell...'
      Also, maybe think about taking out all, or nearly all, of the em dashes. I'm not sure if it's grammatically acceptable to use em dashes in any part of your article, but I think there's too many anyhow.
      Hope this helps and good luck to you!

greenmindposted 7 years agoin reply to this

All good, thanks, and all fixed. I hope that's at least part of the problem, but I have a feeling they're blocking it due to the content of the Amazon capsules.

3. SheilaMilne profile image91
      SheilaMilneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I would say it's the two Amazon capsules.  Sea glass gifts aren't really the focus of the article and the editors have become much stricter about their relevance. Also the rarity chart is a little pixelated.

1. SusanDeppner profile image76
        SusanDeppnerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree with SheilaMilne that it's most likely the two sea glass gifts. I base that on hubs of mine that have been edited. We think that a gift made from the topic of our hub should be okay, but that is not the case. Bet if you delete those, the hub will pass muster. Perhaps substitute a sea glass identification guide, something that directly (not indirectly, but absolutely directly) relates to your topic. It's a beautiful hub, very informative. Hope this advice works for you!

Hey that's really good advice, and a really good idea -- if such a guide exists, that is. But the principle is sound. I would be willing to strip all of the Amazon out but one reason I'm even on Hubpages is to get a little income going. So I'm going to try that. Thanks again!

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I took a quick peek at your hub, and here are my thoughts:

First, you have no clear introduction.  I think capsule 2 should actually be capsule 1.

Second, your article is about sea glass, but your ads are about jewelry and combs made from sea glass.  That's considered spam.

Most of your photos have no captions and many have no accreditation.

While the photos are gorgeous, the topic interesting and the basic information good, the article as a whole does not "flow".  In other words, most of the capsules don't seem to relate well to one another.

I think if you got rid of the ads, put a more interesting title on and reorganized the capsules you'd have a real winner. 

Good luck.

2. greenmind profile image94

THANKS lions44. Appreciate it.

3. greenmind profile image94

Okay fixed some spelling glitches, thanks for the edit. But thinking about it, the most recent email from Hub central said it had spammy elements. I know what those are, and I rewrote it twice now just to be sure, but still no dice. So the spelling is certainly better now, but I'd be surprised if that fixed the problem. Whatever it is.

4. greenmind profile image94

Hey thanks for the input TT. Some really good points! But the ads of course are assigned by AdSense, not me, and the Amazon products (2) are about jewelry because that's really the only way sea glass is sold to the general public. Anyway do you think the two Amazon capsules equate to spam in the eyes of HP? I went in and wrote a little about each one based on my personal experience, as suggested in email number 3...

Your Hubs are REALLY nice, by the way. I appreciate your input.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

Thanks for the kudos.

Yes, I do think the ads are probably the main issue because, as I and a few others have stated, your article is NOT about jewelry, it's about sea glass.  You might want to write a different one about jewelry or even change the focus of this article so that it focuses on jewelry.  You could still use a lot of the same info, too.  In that case, if you place and word the ads correctly, you'd be OK.

I know you have them there because you think they will bring in some money, but even without them, you can earn because you'll still have the Adsense ads and also will earn from clicks.  In fact, without them, you might even earn more because people who don't like spam, won't buy!

5. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

You seem to have taken many photos without permission. You can only use a photo if the photo's owner has told you that you can, via a creative commons notice or direct communication.

The easiest way to find creative commons pics is to search Google images and use the filter at the top of the page: search tools... usage rights....labelled for reuse.

Quite a few here: https://www.google.co.th/search?q=googl … tbs=sur:fc

Thanks Will -- I admit I got out of the habit after moving from Squidoo -- they're much less picky about it here, so I have let it slide. You're right and I'll do the extra work to fix it!

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

Actually, the easiest way is to find public domain photos on Morguefile.com and Pixabay.com where you never have to worry about accreditation and can get great photos.  Wikimedia Commons is also good, but they have stricter guidelines in many cases.

1. Will Apse profile image88
        Will Apseposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Pixabay and many other public domain photos come up in Google image search under 'labelled for reuse'. Pixabay et al. are rather limited.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

I guess it all depends on your topic.  I have always used those sites and with a bit of creativity have been able to make them work well for me.

6. Diego Esperante profile image60
    Diego Esperanteposted 7 years ago

Hello, greenmind.
    This is a tip I've given to some people of the HubPages community and it seems to work for them. In the future, I recommend you use a program/app called Grammarly. If you download it from, say, Chrome, it will correct not only your orthographic mistakes, but also ways of phrasing and possibly confused words. It's free (there is a paid version, though) and it makes proofreading so much easier.
    I hope I was of help.
    My regards.

1. BumblelyBee profile image61
      BumblelyBeeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I may need that smile

7. BumblelyBee profile image61
    BumblelyBeeposted 7 years ago

Looks good to me, have you edited it already? Also hmm maybe more content word wise, that's all I can say as they recommend that the best hubs have 1250 plus (I think). I'm a terrible speller, I've just gone through a hub that I wrote and corrected all the grammatical errors that their spelling bot had suggested and the article went up from a 60 something hub score to a 75 but then I did write it on a tablet when my laptop was broken. So much easier when google chrome tells me how I'm going wrong with spelling.

8. greenmind profile image94

THANKS everybody for all the suggestions. My blood pressure has gone back down and now I have some useful ideas that will probably apply in some way to all of my hubs. Thanks again.

9. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 7 years ago

Replacing "Puerto Rico" with any other island wouldn't fundamentally change the article. There's not a lot of PR-specific content. The video you embedded is about Bermuda, not PR

If I happen to be in Puerto Rico, which beaches exactly should I go to or what local shops sell it?  That's what a person googling "Puerto Rican sea glass" wants to know.  You mention Rincon, but that's not a specific beach, that's a coastal city.  The article is really more of a general overview of sea glass.

And as others have mentioned you have a bunch of amazon stuff, which HP is allergic to.

1. Jean Bakula profile image90
      Jean Bakulaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

When I first came to HP, I thought we could take pictures from Google Images, and that's not the case. I also write on topics where most of the free sites don't have any pictures for my topics, or have such a limited selection, everyone has seen them many times. If you have a collection of sea glass, why not take a few pictures of that and email them to yourself, then put them in the hub?

I don't see grammar issues, you must have fixed them.

I've had hubs moved, and it seems they really don't want any Amazon capsules on them, unless it's very specific, so if you can't find anything like that, just leave them off. Best of luck!

10. ddsurfsca profile image71
    ddsurfscaposted 7 years ago

I didnt find anything wrong but I did find the whole article rather boring and doesnt keep interest very well.  I can stay tuned to most anything I read but if I were to find a problem, that would be it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)