Body shaming

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Au fait profile image85
    Au faitposted 7 years ago

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13105606.jpg

Recently Dani Mathers, Playboy centerfold of the year (2015) and aspiring actress, etc., was at her gym and decided to take a photo with her cell phone of what was reportedly an elderly woman who was overweight and taking a shower.  Mathers took a\the photo of the naked showering woman without her knowledge or permission and sent it via SnapChat to several of her friends (also without the currently unknown woman's permission) captioned:  "If I can't unsee this then you can't either."

The Gym, L.A. Fitness, has since cancelled Mathers' membership in all of their locations, she has been fired from at least one of her jobs, and the Gym has said they have handed the issue over to the police.  There is a chance Mathers will face criminal charges if the unknown victim of Mathers' strange misguided judgment comes forward.  For now LAPD is investigating on behalf of L.A. Fitness.

Mathers has been apologizing profusely on Twitter, SnapChat, and anywhere she can.  Do you think an apology is sufficient for this invasion of privacy?  Ladies, knowing about this event, will you ever feel safe at your gym (if you belong to one) again, knowing that anyone there may be photographing you without your knowledge and sending it around the Internet?  Does anyone think this bad judgment on Mathers' part is no big deal?  What punishment do you think would be justified, if any?  Please share your thoughts/opinions on this issue in general as well as on this specific event.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Would these questions be asked if Mathers was male?  Or are the laws and customs relating to such activity only to be applied to half the population with the other half being immune to them?

Au faitposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I believe they would.  Everyone should be able to go to the gym and keep their privacy.  I see no reason a man should be victimized in this way any more than a woman.  It's generally illegal no matter whose taking the photo and sending it around or who is the subject of the photo.  The woman photographed must press charges is my understanding.  Personally, I hope she does.

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Then there is nothing to answer, for any male taking such pictures would be jailed immediately.

There was a case a few years ago of a reporter who was photographed naked by a man through a keyhole or something.  It took it's time getting through the court.  She finally won, but I don't think he ever went to jail.  I'd have to check on that to be sure.  It's been over 5 years ago now.

2. Au fait profile image85

Wilderness, I looked up the case I alluded to above.  It involved Erin Andrews, a very attractive female sports reporter.  She was stalked as were several other lesser known women, by a man who managed to wangle rooms immediately next to hers in the hotels where she was staying.  He also modified the peep hole in her hotel room door so that he was able to videotape her unawares.  When he couldn't sell the nude videos he made of Erin, he uploaded them onto the Internet himself.  While it didn't happen immediately once it was known what he had done, insurance executive Michael David Barrett spent 2 and a half years in jail for what he did.  I have to agree with your insinuation that Mathers should face the consequences just like a man would have to do.

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13106657_f248.jpg

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13106659_f248.jpg

2. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
      Shyron E Shenkoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

No apology is sufficient enough to wipe away the humiliation the injured party must feel. Would she have apologized if she had not lost her job/gym membership?  I doubt it, so I doubt her apology was not sincere anyway.

No I would not feel safe at any gym, and every woman should be safe from peepers or anyone who wants to make fun of them for any reason. 

If Ms. Mathers' narcissism makes her thinks that she has the right to humiliate anyone who has not paid to have their body contoured and trimmed like a slab of meat, and I don't mean from working out, or their jugs filled with some foreign mass, she is very much mistaken.

It is a big deal!  And the injured party should sue Ms. Mathers.  The hurt the woman who was shamed will last her life time.  A Jail sentence is too good for Ms. Mathers but, maybe it would facilitate the ageing process, she will get there if she lives long enough.

The gym I go to has a fairly large shower room for just one person at a time.  The door is solid wood, no see through, and locks on the inside.  While I think what Mathers did was so wrong there are no words to express it, I know the L.A. Fittness Club had rules about using cell phones and camera phones in the dressing room/locker room and they were simply not allowed.  Since it's hard to monitor that sort of thing all the time, it might be a food idea for fittness clubs and gyms to have private shower rooms like mine, with doors that can't be seen through and so one needn't wonder if anyone watching or taking photos.

3. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
      Shyron E Shenkoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I went to the website that posted the story, and I was surprised at the remarks that some men are making.
      One man said the woman in the shower should have had a towel around herself. 
      Another on who calls himself yourmomstaint said "Where'd all the uptight broads come from? Shouldn't they be doing laundry?"

Someone answered "The uptight broads ALL arrived in a vehicle similar to the one you were transported in.  Maybe you should be doing laundry. However I realize there is no way to cleanse your male chauvinistic mind of it's hatred of women."

The story is on many different websites.  It was The Daily Beast (owned by Newsweek) that reported the woman Mathers photographed was "an elderly woman."  For all her nasty remarks, I wonder if Mathers will meet the requirements of being a centerfold when she's over 60, or whatever age people are considered elderly?

While some men observe attractive women, or women in general with a healthy normal interest, there are the others that must dehumanize and abuse women, and everything about women.  The remarks you wrote hear sound to me like they come from nasty jerks -- probably Mathers' fans, as they seem to have certain attitudes in common.

When I took the psychology class, "Marital Adjustment" a few years ago, our professor, a tenured prof of Italian decent in his 50s, brought a research study to our classes' attention.  It was a self-report study asking for how the men who participated felt about women.  75% of the men said they HATED women.  The other 25% had other feelings, but none said they LOVED women.  Something to keep in mind.  There were a couple thousand men who were included in the study, so it's very transferable to the general population.  The men you quote above strike me as misogynists.

2. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 7 years ago

Anybody who secretly takes a picture of another person in a locker room should be charged under whatever "Peeping Tom" laws there are in that particular state/country, even if the perpetrator is a immature young female model who claims she made it public on accident.  The laws have to apply to everyone.

The model, Dani, is 29. and she doesn't claim it was an accident that she sent it to all her friends with the caption I included above.  She was body shaming the old lady and is no doubt regretting it since she is losing a lot of advantages she worked hard for a long time to obtain. 

Just my thoughts, but I think sending such a photo around on the Net where it will be forever, goes beyond peeping.  Maybe if Mathers has the good fortune to be and old lady herself one day and the implants are sagging badly, she'll have new incites.  smile   Yes, I agree that the laws should be equally applied whether a man or a woman is the victim of similar bad judgment.

3. AndreaRelli1111 profile image68
    AndreaRelli1111posted 7 years ago

I feel that her apologies are not enough. As a woman that does not have the perfect body I find this deeply disturbing! I do not have the body of a Playmate or Model and just that alone makes me uncomfortable and afraid of going to the gym and working out in public.It is bad enough that I see videos of people who were filmed while working out and made fun of on Youtube. Now thanks to Dani Mathers I cannot even feel safe or trust that I have privacy in the locker room or shower either! If she does not receive jail time and made example of then there will be other shallow and judgmental girls that think that they can get away with fat shaming other women on Social Media. I think that gyms should crack down on members taking photos and videos of other gym members without their consent. Everyone should be able to go to the gym without the fear of being photographed, captured on video, or fat shamed on social media. I hope that the woman comes forward and presses charges against Dani Mathers so that she can be made an example of and lessens the chances of other woman being victimized or fat shamed on social media in the future. I hope and pray that the Judge locks her up and throws away the key!

I agree with you Andrea.  Who wants to chance going to a gym if they are going to be body shamed for trying to get in better shape and get/stay healthy?  In this case the L.A. Fitness Club has barred Mathers from all of their facilities and they are the ones who reported her to the police.

Bad enough that this happened at all without it being in the shower and the victim being naked.  Makes it all the more embarrassing to have one's photo making the Internet rounds.  Sometimes people don't take as long to think something through as they really should before acting on something . . .

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Maybe I'm too cynical, but I don't think they banned her out of moral outrage so much as good business sense.  Now that this story has blown up I'm sure many of LA Fitness Club's customers would cancel their memberships if Mathers were still allowed inside and they didn't call the police. Gyms are a dime a dozen in LA. You have to maintain a positive image.

4. profile image0
    JG Hemlockposted 7 years ago

She should be throw in jail, just like a man would be.  If it wasn't for the hair weaves and fake ta-ta's she could pass as a man anyway. She sure does have some cahoonies. wow. What a narcissistic, deplorable person. Beauty is only skin deep and this model is ugly to the core. Her mother and father should be so ashamed of her.  I hope she looks like crap at 40 and gains lots of extra  weight from imbalanced estrogen and early menopause...possibly her fake ones explode from being too puffed up and all of her botox disfigures her face. Then some young,  narcissist woman can take her place and take a photo of her sitting  on the pooper with a grimace on her face and send it out saying, " Look at the Model who went down the crapper." Now that's what people like to call Karma. What goes around comes around. LOL

For sure she appears anorexic except for the obvious add-ons from Tiffany, or wherever.  I think her boobs probably weigh more than all of the rest of her combined.  Wonder if she can stand up straight on her own or does she need a brace something like those braces they use on mannequins? 

Mathers is clearly very attractive and beautiful physically, but I think instead of saving up for a maintenance visit for her ta-tas, as you sweetly call them, she might be better served to buy a kind heart if such is available for purchase and transplant.  I would have suggested a better working brain transplant, but I think the kind heart is more urgently needed.

I'm sure Mathers deeply regrets her poor judgment and actions in this situation she has created herself, but it's one of those things you can't undo or take back.  I really hope she will adopt a kind heart because it's the best accessory one can have and it goes perfectly with everything. 

While the elderly woman she mocked and humiliated may not have a perfect body through nature or intervention, she has very probably contributed something worthwhile to this world, which Mathers has yet to do.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)