Is President Obama a Muslim? Was He Born in the United States?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Sychophantastic profile image86
    Sychophantasticposted 7 years ago

Apparently a lot of Republicans think so. Here are the results of an NBC News poll:

A recent NBC News Survey Monkey poll found that a whopping 72 percent of Republicans have doubts about Obama's citizenship and 41 percent are emphatic that he was foreign born. Meanwhile, 31 percent are unsure if he is an American, leaving 27 percent who acknowledge that their country's president was born in the U.S.

Do you think this poll paints an accurate picture of Republican beliefs?

1. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Are we still beating a dead horse? Even Republicans are not that dumb....

Sychophantasticposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You would think so, except the poll suggests otherwise. While they may not be raising it as an issue, the poll suggests they still believe it. It's basically a conspiracy theory, like many, that many Republicans believe to be true.

2. profile image0
      promisemposted 7 years agoin reply to this

My good-natured father (a deeply committed Republican) spent the final years of his life erupting into fury whenever the subject of Obama came up.

He was firmly convinced that Obama is not a U.S. citizen. He had all the proof he needed by watching Fox News all day (literally). His friends and neighbors in his retirement condo building all thought the same.

3. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes, although it has been proven ad infinitum that President Obama was born in Hawaii & is a Christian, there are Republicans who against confirmed/substantiated conclusions, vehemently contend that President Obama wasn't born in America & he is a Muslim.   

This hyperbole is getting very old..........This nonsensical conjecture has been continuing since Obama was elected to office in 2008.  Time to put this to rest.

2. Alternative Prime profile image59
    Alternative Primeposted 7 years ago

lol ~ Well, APPARENTLY He's MORE of an AMERICAN than Melania Trump, or perhaps even Donald ~ smile

3. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 7 years ago

Are we still on this? Welcome to 2008.

While I think the media has largely moved on from this issue, Republicans clearly have not. I think that if you think this is pure conspiracy, it's incumbent upon you to continue to raise the issue to out Republicans who still believe this nonsense because it shows how likely they are to believe other nonsense.

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 7 years agoin reply to this

There are posters here who believe it. I guess they don't have the courage to post here on this thread. But one in particular likes to talk to herself on her own threads and ignore any efforts to question her "facts."

1. GA Anderson profile image90
          GA Andersonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I have heard it said that tolerance is a virtue... We should all strive to live a virtuous life.

ps. A good strong properly sized hat can help.

GA

1. profile image0

I get your point, but these people vote and inflict similarly fact-challenged legislators and presidential candidates upon us. Should we sit back and "tolerate" that?

And I get your point too. It is not one I disagree with. But... would you criticize an ostrich because it has feathers?

Each time I reach for the keyboard to dispatch a blazing reply I am stopped by the understanding that I would be challenging a belief, not a factual assertion, (even though it can appear to be so). I will challenge facts I disagree with all day long, but I am hesitant to wear the necessary robes to challenge a belief.

I hope you don't view this too harshly, it is not meant to be so, I am just clutching at any straw available to participate in these forums. As I am not a Trump or Hillary supporter, the pickings for good discussions have been kinda slim lately.

GA

1. profile image0

No, I don't view this harshly at all and I have had the same doubts about whether I should be so hard on some people.  At some point, you feel like you're bullying a half-wit.  But, and it's a big "but," I keep coming back to the point that these people who believe that truth seeking involves copying and pasting long passages from fringe "news" sources are damaging our country.  They, and the politicians and rich donors who tolerate them in order to keep them in their voting pool, have created the Donald Trump candidacy.  Without these low-information voters, and the politicians who courted them, Trump would not have risen to level of presidential candidate.  We can continue to "tolerate" them, but at what risk?  Who suffers in the end?  Shouldn't we hold everyone to at least a minimum standard? 

I believe the Republican party finds itself at a critical point in its survival.  If conservatives want to continue to have a voice in the running of this country, they need to disavow the bigots, the liars, the misogynists, and the religious nut jobs.  And I mean truly disavow.

Just so you know, I long for a healthy, rational conservative voice to keep the liberals in check.  We need good people on both sides to keep the proper balance in government, people who will work with the other side, not just stonewall and disrupt.

So, while I am at times conflicted about my need to correct the ridiculously uneducated posters on these forums, overall I feel we must not let this dangerously stupid segment of the population go unchecked.  By the way, I have been known to correct crazy liberal rantings, too, as in when a certain someone said congress is guilty of treason for not passing a budget.  Of course, since I am liberal, I am prone to finding more craziness from the right than the left.

Anyway, I feel like I'm rambling, but maybe I've said something useful.

Thanks everyone for this discussion. Some of the forums have been extremely demoralizing, but not this one. It restores my faith in the community.

Hold on to some of that thankfulness, there is still time for us to work on you.

For instance; I just watched the movie Battleship today, and I couldn't help but notice that those alien's black lizard eyes looked vaguely familiar. ;-)

GA

2. profile image0
      promisemposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Unfrotunately, yes. Both Trump and Cruz have brought it up repeatedly this year.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)