Is Hubpages.com getting phased out? If not, should it?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Jonathan Wylie profile image93
    Jonathan Wylieposted 7 years ago

I have been looking at the traffic on my 35 hubs and the ones at the top of the list are almost all on the network sites. Those are the ones getting the most views, and I would expect that those are the ones that are earning the most money (although we still don't have any of those stats).

So, my question or thought to you is whether or not hubpages.com is still a viable place for hubs? Traffic for me, and for others, is better on the network sites, so is the long term plan to eventually move everything off to network sites due to the fact that the network sites are improving in search rankings?

Originally I wasn't a fan of the network sites, but the numbers don't lie. Now I wish all my articles were over there. Currently I am not very motivated to write for Hubpages because of the time it is taking to move new articles to network sites. Yes, we can submit one site to move (every 60 days) but otherwise we are just stuck with low traffic waiting for hubs to get picked up.

I accept that some of my numbers could just be bad SEO on my part, or a lack of popularity in search terms, but I have had articles that get very few hits on hubpages.com see an almost overnight improvement in views when moved to a network site, and I can only attribute that to the attractiveness of those sites to search engines. I accept the role of the editors could also be a factor, but I don't really see significant changes to my articles when they are edited.

Hubpages.com is apparently not what is used to be in terms of popularity with search engines, (hence the niche sites) so is it time to retire it altogether and just stick with the network sites instead? Sometimes I feel like Hubpages is really just being used as a training ground for new writers or as a way to filter out the best content for the network sites. It's a half way house. If your writing is good enough maybe one day you too can have some articles on the network sites...

I am trying not to be negative, but I would really like to write more for Hubpages, and I am struggling to see why I should right now, aside from the earnings I am making (presumably) from the network sites.

Any thoughts??

2. NateB11 profile image87
    NateB11posted 7 years ago

I've seen an improvement in traffic both to my Hubs that were moved to niche sites and the ones that have remained here, and this is the case for other Hubbers too. So, I'm not so sure the main site should be abandoned, it's traffic seems to have improved too.

Jonathan Wylieposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I am glad that you are seeing improved views for both your niche articles and the hubpages articles. I am not seeing that, but with so many articles and users on hubpages there are going to be a lot of variations.

I don't think that hubpages is going to be abandoned any time soon, nor should it be. I was just curious, I guess, if this was part of the long term plan. Maybe there is still a role for both sides of this equation.

3. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

If you write a new page it goes to the of the queue for niche site consideration.

Publish and it will be moved in days, if it is good enough.

I didn't know that, so that is good to know.

4. Sabre1000 profile image77
    Sabre1000posted 7 years ago

I don't think they should phase out HubPages.com until they get this Pinterest thing fixed.

5. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 7 years ago

Hubpages.com is where the forum is, so there's no way they can ever get rid of that big_smile big_smile big_smile

Hahahaha! Good point! smile

I re-read this blog post and it talks about continuing with hubpages.com for the forseeable future, but it also said that hubpages.com seems to have been "affected by algorithmic penalties" that have led to lower rankings with search engines.

I guess Google could change all that next week and we could find the whole situation flipped again. Who knows. Either way, I am glad to see that Hubpages are taking positive steps towards sustaining revenue for authors and themselves! smile

6. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

Let's face it, the niche sites were created because the main site isn't profitable.  Why on earth would a business - which is what HubPages is - continue to maintain a division that wasn't profitable? 

It seems logical to me that at some point, HubPages management will look at its expenses and realise it can't afford to go on allocating staff time to maintaining the main site.  If they don't, they're not very good business people!

However, I expect they'll keep the main site going for some time, because it will take time to sift through current Hubs to find more material for the niche sites.  And they don't want people removing their Hubs in the meantime.  In fact I'm pretty sure there will always have to be a HubPages.com, simply because Hubbers need a central Hub to manage their accounts and interact.  There are a couple of other sites which operate like that, HubGarden springs to mind.

The question is whether HubPages.com will have any actual articles on it, or whether it will just be an administrative Hub.  I believe that if HubPages is serious about managing its costs and achieving profitability, it's got to be reduced to an administrative Hub only. 

As you know, they are vetting new Hubs to go straight to the niche sites as they're published, so eventually HubPages.com will consist only of "failed" Hubs that have poor money-making potential. If they allow those Hubs to stay on HubPages.com, they'll need to be monitored for quality, adherence to rules etc, which takes up staff time - meaning they'll cost more in admin costs than they'll pay.   Perhaps they could make every Hub on the main site unFeatured and then stop monitoring them, but I'd be worried at the implications for quality.  So I do struggle to see how maintaining the main site in the long term will ever make sense.

7. julieann26 profile image84
    julieann26posted 7 years ago

From what I can gather you will still have to write any new hubs on hubpages.com (the main site).  If the article/hub is good enough it will be moved to one of the niche sites.  If it is not good enough it will stay here on the main site.

There is no guarantee that every hub you write will end up on a niche site as the editors are looking for good quality articles that will bring traffic to the niche sites and keep Google happy.

Previously published hubs come under the 60-day submission rule.  These hubs will stay on the main site until the editors decide if they are good enough to be published on a niche site.  So I see the main site still being viable for a long time.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You are right, that's the way it works at the moment.  And I believe it's likely to stay that way for a year or so,while HubPages is still mining the old Hubs for suitable candidates to move to the niche sites.

The question being asked is, what is going to happen in the future? If a new Hub isn't good enough to "keep Google happy" on the niche sites, it will be left on the main site - but for what reason? 

If all that remains on the main site eventually is Hubs that can't keep Google happy, then they're not going to earn much, so what's the point?   HubPages exists to make a profit and running a site that's making a loss (which the main site would do) is a bad business decision.

It would be just as easy, and less cost, to set up a system where Hubbers submit Hubs to the niche sites through a central account (as they do now) - but if they can't make the criteria to get on a niche site, they don't get published at all.

8. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

I have a few pages on hubpages.com that are doing well enough it doesn't matter to me if they ever get moved. Seriously, I've a handful that do so well on the original site that I couldn't in sound mind ask for more.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)