Wal Mart employees refuse to make a cake for Cop's retirement

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (16 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 7 years ago

According to Fox News, three Wal Mart employees have refused to make a cake for a cop's retirement, as they found the notion offensive.  Needless to say, the manager had to bake the cake for the cop, but the cake came back with frosting on it saying "Black Lives Matter" on it.    The manager  did apologize to the customer who ordered the cake about this, and it's led to some people calling for the employees to be fired. 

Here's a link to the fox news video on youtube if anyone cares to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW9NqH4e3RY

Anyways, what are your thoughts on this?  And what do you think about the employees involved?  Did they do the right thing?  Or not?

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 7 years agoin reply to this

They should be fired. They are obligated to serve the public regardless of their personal feelings. They can act on their principles but must realize there will be consequences to their actions.

1. Credence2 profile image79
        Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Panther, that was my first thought as well, great minds think alike!!

1. profile image0
          PrettyPantherposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Right on!

2. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

On this one we can agree.  Not only did they discriminate against someone (though not a legally protected class), they also refused to perform their job.  Any employer has a perfect right to fire them and should do so without further ado.

2. Credence2 profile image79

The employees should be fired for allowing their personal feeling to interfere with their job.

1. colorfulone profile image78
        colorfuloneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Oh wait, those employees could have children at home.  I think they should be given a chance to do their jobs...after being informed of store policy...then if they refuse, then maybe send them packing or demote them.  Sometimes its only a matter of a teaching moment.  I do think they acted stupid and hatefully unkind.

1. Credence2 profile image79

Not this time, Colorfulone, some disciplinary act against the employee is appropriate up to and including termination. Those employees should thought of the consequences of their act, prior to its commission.

3. IslandBites profile image89
      IslandBitesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

She asked for a cake with the American flag in black and white with a blue stripe added in. One of the employees told the woman “the design could be perceived as racist and nobody feels comfortable decorating the cake,” When she asked for a simpler cake, with just one blue line on a chocolate background, the employee said she didn’t “feel comfortable” with that design either. She went to another bakery.

After the post went viral, the Walmart manager apologized and offered to make the cake (plus some freebies). They, in fact, made the cake.Btw, it was not "Black lives matter" but "Blue lives matter". She is now complaining the cake is ugly. (It is LOL).

I don't think the employee should be fired. But I do think if she didn't feel comfortable, should have asked another employee to make the cake for the customer. Plus, she should be disciplined. If it happens again, then she should be fired.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yeah sorry typo.  I was in a hurry, when I posted this.

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
          Jean Bakulaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

New employees get all the required info when they are hired. Bakeries have been in the news for refusing to bake cakes for other reasons too. If it offends their religion in particular. I think they should get a different job then. The business is losing money on one or two people's personal views.

2. FitnezzJim profile image76
    FitnezzJimposted 7 years ago

I partially agree with you, Credence.  I would offer than an additional thing to take into consideration is whether or not these employees had prior conflicts with management.  If any do, then by all means, termination is appropriate.  Hopefully there will be one among the group who has no prior offenses, and can be informed of the organizations policy.  With someone else being terminated in front of them, it should be easy to help them understand why store policy matters.  Who knows, if they learn that lesson well, they may end up running the company some day.

And, for Stevennix2001, please take a second look at the video.  The frosting actually says "Blue Lives Matter".

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Any employee that thinks their personal political stance takes priority over management's policy concerning the job they are paying that employee to do, is not an employee that needs to be kept on.

2. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yeah sorry.  I was on my way out the door when I posted that op, and didn't realize the typo.  My apologies.

3. TorontoCaricature profile image60
    TorontoCaricatureposted 7 years ago

publicity stunt, lol. I couldn't give a crap. I have more realistic bigger picture outrage that unarmed people getting shot by police in the USA gets no overwhelming political energy to outrightly destroy this atrocious shameful activity amongst police forces.

4. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

People are becoming ideology morons  , half wits of low information activists .   I  can't wait until  this era of P.C. intelligence has evolved !

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)