Congress Overrode PBO's Veto of JASTA: Who will sue America First?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)
  1. My Esoteric profile image87
    My Esotericposted 7 years ago

Now that the the Justice Against State-Sponsored Terrorism Act is now Law, Congress has opened up the floodgates for other countries and foreign citizens to sue America for any Tortuous reason.

Will America be sued first be some one or will one, if any, of the 9/11 families sue Saudi Arabia first?

What are the other ramifications to be expected from this dumbest laws by Congress since voting to attack Iraq?

2. junko profile image69
    junkoposted 7 years ago

I think some world court out there in the world found George W. Bush to be guilty of war crimes. I don't know how or why every senator democrat and republican that voted with the exception of Harry Reid voted 97-1 to over ride the President's veto. The 9-11 families must have a powerful lobby. I have not seen the senate show that kind of patriotism shown in behave of a curtain group of Americans in a long time, maybe never. I know I haven't seen anything like that for the people The President wanted and wants to help now. I wonder is this vote to sue a toothless tiger that hasn't been born yet and may never live but, serve to fool the people with false hope. The world will try to sue The United States when a blueprint is shown how the US will sue Saudi Arabia from America and get them to pay a judgement found in American Courts. I believe it's just another smear on the President and will follow The GITMO Trails as a can't do in America.

My Esotericposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The "lobby" is called irrational, misplaced, political patriotism.

I think some foreign court WILL find President Bush guilty of war crimes.  It doesn't matter they can't collect, it is the propaganda value of having it done "legally".. I don't use the quotes to imply incorrectness, but to emphasize it, because of Congress, has become truly legal.

While we might not impound Saudi Assets on the off-chance a 9/11 family actually wins in court (I think the chances are next to nil if the court follows the law and not emotion) there is nothing stopping other countries, who don't care about retaliation, from finding some way to screw with our assets.  But that is minor compared to the political points they will score.

I think 97 Senators ought to lose their job over this.

2. Prayerhub profile image56
      Prayerhubposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Many days are for the thie that often  sneaks into the housef, just one day for the house owner.

3. junko profile image69
      junkoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If the Democrats don't flip the senate to Democratic majority irrational Governmentlessness will cause the fall of America. Beating Trump Should be easy but, the POTUS has no power without the house or senate, remember Barrack's Presidency? I don't think high school civics is part of education anymore for reasons of creating politically uninformed voters.

IMO PBO was surprisingly productive in his last two years.

1. junko profile image69

In spite of their obstruction, just think how things would be if they supported the things that they agreed with him on and there were quite a few of them. They through the middle class under the bus to spite PBO and claim he put them on food stamps. This hollow senate vote is the first time they laid a glove on Barrack, they have use collateral damage to the American people as a threat to The President and when they strike the people they have put the blame on PBO. IMO..

4. junko profile image69

Mitch McConnell is now saying it is Obama's fault for not warning him about The Bill the senate that he leads passed 97-1 The sad thing about it is millions  of republican voters will drink that Kool-Aid because they love a lie.

I had to pick myself up off the floor when I read about him saying that.  GOP alternate reality is a fascinating thing to observe.

3. Pham Ryan profile image58
    Pham Ryanposted 7 years ago

A better question is, who in the world could win a lawsuit against a country, and how does one go about hiring lawyers to even sue a country...

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

And an even bigger one is how to collect from a foreign government under the laws and court decisions of YOUR country.  Think Uncle Sam will seize the assets of the Saudi government?

2. MizBejabbers profile image87
      MizBejabbersposted 7 years agoin reply to this

And if you can find a lawyer or law firm, will they take the case on a contingency basis. A lawyer of that caliber would be unaffordable by the average citizen.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)