Name 3 words to describe an atheist

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (103 posts)
  1. seanorjohn profile image71
    seanorjohnposted 11 years ago

They don't have to start with the same letter but  maybe give it a try.
    Logical lugubrious lost.

1. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Analytical, individualistic, logical.
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9061827_f248.jpg

1. AnnaDanishek profile image60
        AnnaDanishekposted 7 years agoin reply to this

hahaha it soo modest

2. Castlepaloma profile image75
        Castlepalomaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Not bad

1. Trichakra profile image60
          Trichakraposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Agree with you. Its not bad.

2. sibtain bukhari profile image59
      sibtain bukhariposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Atheism is deception,Atheist is the man of magical world,

1. profile image0
        jonnycomelatelyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Theism is deception, Theism is the man-made magical world.

The god of imagination, that no one can see, no one can touch, no one can prove exists --- governs all who exist, all you can hurt, all you can command, all you can frighten into submission.  IMHO

1. sibtain bukhari profile image59

When we close our eyes from the great and wonderful inner and external worlds believing the creation and working of the same by self,by chance ,then we are presuming a magical world by deceiving ourselves like atheists,therefore,I stated that atheism is no more a deception.Atheism is an'' intellectual''attempt to avoid one ''unseen'' God by replacing through impossible imaginary and magical universe.

1. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

A world operating on the natural laws of the universe is a "magical" one?  We have very, very different definitions of magic. 

To most people, "magic" denotes events or actions that violate natural laws, not follow them.  Things like wine spontaneously turning to water, dust turning into people, and stars/solar systems forming in hours instead millions of years.  These would be "magic", not animals slowly evolving to fit better in an ever changing environment.

Wilderness,,it is correct that a world working under natural laws is not magical but a world evolved'' by self'' and working'' by chance'' under the natural laws as presupposed by the atheists is not more than a magical world.This'' by chanced'' and ''self evolved'' world is magical not the world working under natural laws.

gmwilliamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

independent, broadminded, progressive......

2. psycheskinner profile image83
            psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

We live in a world where your perspective is now more conservative than the Pope's.  I call that progress.

psycheskinner,Progress is not confinement of the reason,it is application of the reason,for example, when atheists say they can never believe a God who can never be'' touched ''or ''seen'',they just express their ''confinement of reason'' and not the'' application of the reason'',therefore,atheism is the religion or deception of confinement of reason.

3. profile image0

That Journey to the Inner World is my path, consistently, and it connects with the Outward World of which  my  body is a part.

Atheism is very honest.  And courageous.   It is willing to confront the nonsense put out by those who would demand control of our lives by invoking a ficticious god.

Atheism may be courageous in the sense it over throws ''gods'' but it is extremism or nonsense when it denies ''God'',it may be helpful in understanding the ''fictitious gods'' but it is ridicule when it rejects God.

1. Castlepaloma profile image75

Both are a dilemma.
                One can not prove God or the other can not disprove God.

If one prepares their whole life to Meet this God in his imaginary invisable world. Then lives in fear of God and keeps repeating ancient texts from the dark ages, often changed or wrongly translated.

Then stays over obedient in order to win his/her lottery ticket to heaven. Then break your own rules more then any other group of people.

You just might be, insane.

3. poppyr profile image93
      poppyrposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Logical, critical thinker.

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 11 years ago

I'd post, but it has been my experience that atheists do not have a well developed sense of humor.

seanorjohnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ok I will help with the letter H
      Human Heterogenous Holy  ( sorry last word was meant for believers - no it was just a typo.)

2. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And yet, it is the atheists who seem to be doing much of the laughing around here. lol

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

3. Paul Wingert profile image59
      Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@Emile R Of course athiest have a sense of humor. People like Penn and Teller, Bill Maher, Woody Allen are a laugh a minute.

Castlepalomaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Who is 100% Atheist? Be honest, and if so, prove it. Just consider the World and Universe is 99% unknown to each and every one of us.

If anyone has doubts - go to - About.com’s Agnosticism / Atheism site.

1. Zelkiiro profile image87
          Zelkiiroposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You're right. I'm not 100% sure about my atheism.

Sometimes I just feel that, somewhere out there, Odin is ridding the earth of another frost giant to ensure my continued safety...

Don't go too far to the other end of ther scale like with OT Creationist fundies

Be Honest, like when Woody Allen or Phil Mayer said."don't know"

1. profile image0

With you there CP. Those two words have shaped the human mind and opened it up to endless possibilities.  When we close the mind we cloak every possibility in a straight jacket.

I know nobody has taken a spaceship to the Universe and checked out or looked under every rock for God.

Saying, I don't know, gives us freedom and a better chance to get a closer understanding. So far, it's the greatest BS story I've ever heard, still trying to understand better, for all of us are in the same boat.
                Maybe most of the BS will just float away into space in time.

gmwilliamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

unconventional questioning visionary

3. Hollie Thomas profile image61
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

Evolved, thinking individual.

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 !

1. profile image0

I stopped counting those zeros but think it's 10↑27.   No laughing matter.  lol

4. A Troubled Man profile image57
    A Troubled Manposted 11 years ago

Honest Open Thinking

5. pennyofheaven profile image79
    pennyofheavenposted 11 years ago

Skeptic, Critical, Analytical.

seanorjohnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well done , penny . I think you have summarised atheists well. Hopefully, most people will agree that this is an honest appraisal.

1. pennyofheaven profile image79
        pennyofheavenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.

2. profile image52
      paarsurreyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Always in doubt.
      Please
      Regards

1. profile image0
        jonnycomelatelyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Much More Honest

1. profile image52
          paarsurreyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

How? Please
          Regards

6. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 11 years ago

Faith in Nothing.

7. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

loving, logical, lovers

1. christin53 profile image83
      christin53posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Brainy, Bright, Brilliant

8. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 11 years ago

all human beings

Beautifully said as usual, Motown2Chitown. If ALL posters be like Motown2Chitown, the forums will be GRAND indeed!   Motown2Chitown, I shall give you a mark for your eloquent statement.........
      http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9061820_f248.jpg

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, GM. smile

9. Sed-me profile image78
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

Wouldn't it depend on the Atheist?

10. Zelkiiro profile image87
    Zelkiiroposted 9 years ago

Dry clean only.

1. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That can usually be summed up with one word. Dirty.

1. Zelkiiro profile image87
        Zelkiiroposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Only as dirty as you want me to be. ;D

11. oceansnsunsets profile image84
    oceansnsunsetsposted 9 years ago

Tenacious
    Faith
    (in)
    Skepticism

1. profile image0

smile

12. Cat333 profile image62
    Cat333posted 9 years ago

Three words to describe an atheist - not yet theist

"'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.' So then each one of us will give an account of himself to God." Romans 14:11-12

1. profile image0

Atheist = Theist Grown Up.

1. Cat333 profile image62
        Cat333posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Funny, some start out as atheists and become theists - do they begin grown and become children then?

Perhaps we do become "children". Call me a child if you'd like, I just may be; but hopefully I do "grow" in the Lord and in his grace and become more and more spiritually mature.

1. profile image0

I accept that is for you, fine for you.  Please do not assume that my disbelief is in any way inferior to yours.  That is all.

If theism is true for you, fine.   
          If atheism is true for me, fine.

Any presumption that theism is superior to atheism simply brings in competition.  Such presumption can cause breakup of families, social antagonism, skirmishes, wars, even capital punishment for those who "waver."  Why can't you just let people choose for themselves, instead of presuming that we all need to be converted?  It does not matter what we believe, as long as we learn to live and let live.

I can appreciate that what you say would make perfect sense and would be a great way to think IF God were not real and true, and IF truth really was merely subjective. But since God is real and true and he himself is in fact truth, it doesn't benefit us to perceive of ultimate, absolute truth as any subjective thing. To just each believe whatever we want is harmful in many situations that require action: If we have cancer, but wish we did not and so we choose to believe we do not, then we will not get needed treatment and live; If our house is about to explode, but we wish it were not so we choose to believe it is not, then we will not get out of the house and live.

If a doctor tells you that you have cancer, they are not evil for it; If someone tells you your house is about to explode, they are not evil for it. In fact it is the one who knows you have cancer or knows your house is going to explode, yet says nothing, who is actually acting in an evil manner. Likewise, those who tell you your spiritual action is required - receipt of the free gift of eternal life is necessary to make it go into effect for you - are the ones who are trying to benefit you and who truly care about you. Even if you do not agree, and you think it leads to conflicts (which it does), can you at least see that to truly believe and care means the believer will attempt to alert you to what they see as a dangerous situation and attempt to show you how to escape and live?

Unlike absolute truth, there is truth that is subjective by God's design and we are free to find our own truth in these areas. So truth for one may be that classical music is beautiful, while truth for another is that hard rock is excellent, and truth for yet another is that both are glorious. God has so wonderfully made us to each be who we are and to appreciate differing things, which are all valuable because of their value to one or another person.

1. profile image0

If while wrting all that irrelevant rhetoric, CAT333, you still cannot understand that your perception of god is subjective and can in no way be proven as "real," then there is no further need for discussion with you.

Certainly the truth will be "proven" in due course of time, but not by me. 

A lot of hostility is coming through your recent posts to me, jonnycomelately.

You want me to "see" the way you see, yet I would have to put on blinders and "un-see" the Lord. It doesn't work that way.

You're free to avoid discussion with me if you prefer.

1. profile image0

I am hostile to your presumptions in the way you declare your beliefs as if they are final, undeniable and applicable to everyone.   I have often declared your right to hold those for yourself and continue to do so.   But please be aware that when you preach your fanaticism to others you are NOT preaching truth, only your personal beliefs.  Just make sure they know that.  Don't deceive them.

What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may understand what God has freely given us. This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words. The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit. (1 Corinthians 2:12-14) Those with the indwelling Holy Spirit and those whose hearts are being softened by the Holy Spirit will recognize the truth.

13. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 7 years ago

boring, uptight and unimaginative

They can be uptight and pessimistic. The other two not so much.

1. Live to Learn profile image60
        Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Well, when someone goes out of their way to tell me they are an atheist, in real life, they tend to be that way. You guys on the internet seem pretty interesting. Although most do still seem to be unimaginative. As an artist, I wouldn't think that applied to you.

I'm not Religious or atheist, I find both are extreme poles of 99% unknown.

Atheist have a lot to do with science, biologist and Evolution.

It takes imagination since mid 1800s to double our life expectancy, discover many bio organism and inventions.

At one time I thought atheist did lacked imagination, not now.

I suppose that everything is never in black and white. So, you are right. In some respects an atheist can be imaginative. However, atheism didn't give us all of the benefits you are attributing to it. It was a group effort to get us where we are scientifically. That assumption is one mistake the laymen who advocates atheism  makes.

I do still believe that, even if an atheist were responsible for a great scientific achievement, that does not make them imaginative. It would make them imaginative in some respect. By denying the possibility of a greater force in the universe one does limit one's thought processes on that front. So, when the question of imagination is posed in a religion and philosophy forum it is not unreasonable to label atheism as an unimaginative philosophy.

2. gmwilliams profile image83

Not at all, those words apply to fundamentalist religionists.  Atheists are FAR FROM those words.
      http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12994504.jpg

It was probably a religious person who came up with that schtick. Like, George Carlin came up with Dogma.  Usually, when we laugh at ourselves we create the most humor. I don't know that I've ever met an atheist who was good at laughing at themselves.

I think the problem is, when you go out of your way to label yourself, you lose some of the ability to be more than your chosen label.

3. profile image0

Exploring, upright, imaginative.

exciting, inquisitive, progressive

2. Live to Learn profile image60

I was going to counter with another three words but I don't want anyone thinking I have a problem with atheists. There is nothing wrong with each of us being true to ourselves. We may not mesh on every level but that isn't a bad thing at all.

1. profile image0

I was replying to your previous post, Live to Learn.  And trying to inject a little sarcastic humour.

I know. That is what I was referring to.

1. profile image0

That's fine.  With you.  smile

I suppose that means not fine with you?

OK.

14. Oztinato profile image75
    Oztinatoposted 7 years ago

An unopened flower

15. Oztinato profile image75

Unrequited spiritual lover.

1. profile image0

"Name 3 words to describe a theist"

Would that be "requited spiritual lover?"

16. Oztinato profile image75

Blinkered impaired intellectuals

Are you talking about the religious?

17. Oztinato profile image75

Confused nutty professor.

1. profile image0

Genuine trustworthy mentor

18. realtalk247 profile image76
    realtalk247posted 7 years ago

Accountable to none

19. Oztinato profile image75

Abominabley mistaken person.

THINK, for I AM.

20. aware profile image67
    awareposted 7 years ago

Closed minded  mice

21. aware profile image67
    awareposted 7 years ago

Religiously insistent preachers

22. profile image0
    JG Hemlockposted 7 years ago

Angry - Blind - Narcissistic

Is this for people when can"t see the end of time on earth?

Yet, you can.

Scientific, futuristic, edgy

Lo

23. Stella Kaye profile image83
    Stella Kayeposted 7 years ago

Since atheists are just as confident in their 'sure and certain' disbelief as Christians are in their 'sure and certain hope,' I would say that three appropriate words to describe an atheist would be:

unexpectant, unindoctrinated, unconvinced

In much the same way, to describe believers you could just remove the 'uns'!

Sure and certain hope?

Like when you know most people on earth are going to hell and you are sure and certain you are going to heaven.

Can you show me what dictionary you are using to explain this ?

1. Stella Kaye profile image83
        Stella Kayeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I wasn't using a dictionary. 

Whereas Christians have every confidence in their 'sure and certain hope' of a resurrection as stated in The Bible, by the same reckoning atheists would have every confidence in their 'sure and certain' disbelief.

Sure and certain resurrection is not even in the Bible. Don't know what the other Gods feel about that, even if it could be tizzed.

Just more made up words pulled out of another Christain backside.

1. Stella Kaye profile image83
            Stella Kayeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You are quite right; the actual passage :'in sure and certain hope of the resurrection to eternal life' occurs in the Book of Common Prayer,' not The Bible so I stand corrected. Nevertheless believers are just as certain of their beliefs as atheists are of their disbelief.

Since both of polar opposites claim knowing the 99% yet unknowledgeable world. Somewhere in the middle is deeper truth.

2. profile image0

Stella, with respect, "beliefs" do not really come into the atheistic mind-set. 

I, with atheist understandings, dwell on observable facts.  When a fact is encountered, the need for "belief" disappears.
              "Belief" here describes something that cannot be proven.  It depends on several mental tendencies:

A desire that something is so, without knowing for sure that it is so.
              A sort of pigeon hole, where any unknown is put pending further evidence for or against
              A need to show some kind of superiority over other opinions

I do not put my refusal to accept the premise of an over-lording "god" as a belief.  Belief does not come into it.   What I see, hear, feel, taste, smell, plus a bit of imagination searching for more clues....this is adequate for me in my everyday life.   

Acknowledging that others have different mental needs is part of my compassion as a human being.

Can't stop now, have an appointment....helping a young person to learn mathematics.

24. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 7 years ago

logical
    concrete
    flat

Flat like most European thought the world was for 1500 years.

2. profile image0

Meaningful
      Soft
      Bubbly

wink

25. AshtonFirefly profile image70
    AshtonFireflyposted 7 years ago

MIsnamed, human, individual

26. Paul Wingert profile image59
    Paul Wingertposted 7 years ago

Smarter than creationists.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)