Editor's Choice Program to Be Retired

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (59 posts)
  1. Christy Kirwan profile image93
    Christy Kirwanposted 7 years ago

HP Staff has made the decision to retire the Editor’s Choice program. Editor’s Choice articles were high-quality pieces that were hand-selected by staff to receive special recognition on HubPages. However, with the success of the HubPages Network Sites, we feel our resources are much better spent selecting and editing articles to be moved to Sites. As of this week, Editor’s Choice status, including all related banners and accolades will be removed.

Why can’t Hubbers just keep the banners and accolades once the code is removed?

Since we no longer have the resources to review these articles regularly, we have no way to be sure that they will continue to comply with HubPages guidelines and best practices in the future.

Why aren’t all current EC Hubs automatically moved to sites?

It has been a while since EC Hubs have been reviewed and assessed, and we want to focus first on articles that already have some traffic, since they have a higher potential for growth, rather than focusing exclusively on quality as the EC program did.

Will former EC Hubs be moved eventually?

EC articles will be assessed through our existing process and we expect most, if not all, to eventually be chosen for Network Sites.

1. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Christy,

I respect your decision in this matter, but the only thing that causes me to be sad is that I, in the five years I have been a member of HubPages, never had one of my works chosen as an EC nomination.

But, that is "small potatoes," as some people in the 1940's used as a phrase, compared to the things that are happening in my life, but this is certainly NO place to reveal them.

I for one, appreciate you, Christy, and the work that you do.

2. sallybea profile image94
      sallybeaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Interesting, I have twelve which have never been moved, some in spite of reasonable traffic.

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
        Barbara Kayposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I have several also.  I am wondering what is going to happen to the hubs that are left here.  I think it is only fair if they are going to be deleted at some point in time, that it would only be fair to let us know ASAP.

1. sallybea profile image94

That would be nice to know as I would probably move most of them to my own website if that happens.  Strange that one of them with over 9000 views has never been moved.  May not be a lot compared to other peoples hubs but I think enough to be on one of the niche sites.

That is what I was thinking too.

2. helenstuart profile image61
            helenstuartposted 7 years agoin reply to this

SallyBea, 9000 views!  I think I have either 4 or 5 active posts. I think they are fairly interesting, except for one. I think I have a total of 12 views. Manoman, do you understand the advertising rules, because I sure don't. I've tried over and over.  Does anybody make any money? I started writing for Niume because people actually give you feedback, and you have a chance to make some money. See, I'm not even giving my referral code.

That was on one hub which was an Editors Choice Hub.  I started using Niume too, it seems interesting, and as you say you do get some feedback and make a few cents to add to the pot.

@ smile sallybea, what is Niume? I know that I am not supposed to be on here until Oct. 27--that will be my one month "break" that discussed a few days back, but I didn't say that I would not comment on forums.

Go and check it out, it is a writing site which I think you would enjoy.  I know I do.  You can post really short articles with images and get paid.
                  Not sure why you feel you have to take a break as you are entitled to post when and whatever you like here but have a go on Niume.

@ sallybea,
                    Thanks. I will inbox you via your profile page on HP soon. Right now I am adjusting, re-tooling my next appearance on HP that I hope all will enjoy. But always remember my DEAR, TALENTED FRIEND, "you rock!"

3. RonElFran profile image96
      RonElFranposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Christy, since EC hubs have already been vetted once, why not make use of the hubber community to do a final vet before approving them to be moved. Assign each EC hub to two volunteers (who might be screened based on hubber score), and if both agree that it still merits its high rating, it should be ready to go.

A variation on this would be to allow writers of EC hubs to nominate them to be moved with no time restrictions (no 60 day wait period), and then assign volunteers to review them when nominated. That way, if a hubber has made any unfortunate changes, they have the opportunity and incentive to correct them before nominating the hub.

The probability of a hubber deliberately changing their EC hub so drastically as to disqualify it is already pretty low. So why not let other hubbers, who are probably at least as motivated as staff to see the niche sites succeed, carry part of the evaluation load?

4. LiamBean profile image80
      LiamBeanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If you can spare the human resources to "move to sites," you can spare the resources to maintain "editor's choice" status. Maybe the site owner should be more concerned about quality that the money he (or she) can make from the site.

And if you don't like "my take" on this, that's just too darned bad.

2. Chriswillman90 profile image92
    Chriswillman90posted 7 years ago

I'm fine with this as clearly your resources need to be spent elsewhere that will actually create success. I too am curious about the hubs that don't get chosen but I trust your judgement in the matter.

3. Joyce Fischer profile image58
    Joyce Fischerposted 7 years ago

As a newbie on HubPages, I am disappointed with this decision. Networks appears to be based mainly on traffic, while Editors Choice was hand picked Hubs. Editors Choice, as I see it, was a way of highlighting hubs that might have been overlooked because of topic, title, or popularity. There are always interesting and well written articles on a platform such as HubPages that get lost in the shuffle. Editors Choice would have helped increase traffic to Hubs that are high quality, yet might have been overlooked by readers. It would have really helped new writers who are doing a good job get noticed.

Is your staff not able to come to a weekly staff meeting with two choices; one for Editors Choice and one for Networks? The decision is already made, so maybe it's moot point. But there should be some kind of recognition for writers who are doing outstanding work, regardless of traffic.

1. spartucusjones profile image91
      spartucusjonesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If you are a newbie, every Hub you write will be considered for the new niche sites automatically based on quality. Traffic is only a issue with preexisting Hubs. But as Christy stated, most of the Hubs that qualified for EC, will eventually be transferred to the niche sites (which would include low traffic as well). But the process will obviously take time.

1. Jan Saints profile image88
        Jan Saintsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

And what makes them think that the new hubs will eventually gain traffic. I think they can wait for them to gain some traffic on hubpages.com and concentrate on the existing, trafficked hubs. My opinion though!

1. spartucusjones profile image91
          spartucusjonesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If the Hub is high quality then it doesn't matter if it gets traffic. They just need to try to avoid anything that Google will penalize. But it can take a while for a Hubs to gain traffic, and the Hubs chances for traffic are significantly better on the niche sites. So it makes sense to consider new Hubs immediately (it will also lighten the future load). But it also made sense that with preexisting Hubs that they started with ones that were already getting traffic.

Traffic is everything in a business like hubpages! And some articles seem not to get traffic even when posted on authority websites. So I think it's good that they avoid this kind of try and error method of moving hubs.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image93
      Christy Kirwanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi Joyce,

Part of the reason we are retiring the program was that it did not help to increase traffic to these Hubs as we'd hoped.

kenneth averyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Christy,
        smile have you the time to answer a question for me?
        Last night I published a hub only to be met with some editor something or other in a message telling me that my text was found somewhere on the internet.
        I have only seen this message years ago and have yet to know of anyone who can write anyone miles away word for word, but that is not the trouble, I did not feel it was worth the re-writes, etc., so I deleted the hub and now I find that my Score is 79 which before the hub was published, 83.
        Why the falling score?

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hubs are not necessarily moved to niche sites based on traffic.  I have had several with very low traffic that have been moved based on quality, not traffic.

The niche sites negate the need for Editor's Choice, and I think what the team has decided do is a smart move.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I think the confusion arises because ALL of the first tranche of Hubs - the ones that were moved BEFORE the niche sites were launched - were chosen based on traffic.   

Now, as far as I'm aware, traffic is not a factor.

4. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

I think people should spend more time being appreciative of the updates to the joint which have improved everything greatly than spending time agonizing over retired, and very minor features. Well, we live in a fairly quarrelsome world. Thanks for the improvements on this end big_smile

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Your comment has lifted my day. Thank you!

2. Jean Bakula profile image94
      Jean Bakulaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

+1

@Jean,
        at all of the comments about Editor's Choice, (mostly pro) I have to face the fact that (with writing to Team HubPages) I have all but wasted Six Years of My life.
        Sure I enjoyed meeting the Sweet Followers and seriously, would lay down my life for each of them, but for NOT ONE hub for EC was ever named.
        In my Six Years, I have, with God's patience, won a HP coffee cup that was given me for "Most Comical" hubber.
        I should be more gracious. And for All of The EC winners of past, present, I am gracious, . . .but my ONE HUB?
        I have asked Christy or Matt to email me valuable advice on What Topics The Team wants me to write and what they should spotlight and yes, eventually make some cash which I dearly need, because this ONE hub business in Six Years is not getting it.
        Happy Memoraial Day, Jean, my Dear Friend.

Kenneth, if it makes you feel any better, I don't have any Editor's Choice Hubs either.   It's no big deal and nothing to get offended about.

If you genuinely want to make money here, then you need to invest the time, as Eric says, to learn how to adapt your writing to the online world.  It is a different skill.  In fact I think it's harder for print journalists, because it requires you to break rules you've adhered to for years, and that's not easy. But no pain, no gain.

@Marisa, I would be happy if you were to win 10 ECs for your work speaks for itself--excellence in every respect and I am not blowing smoke at you. In order to adapt to online writing, how do you mean? And I am not offended, just frustrated.
            Oh, to break a guarded piece of wisdom that us print writers have used for years and in my case, I had NO rules for print writers, but this too depends on the last and higher position of editor which was the BEST in the paper where I worked.
            And I would go into more details, but I would sacrifice this time to give you more time to work.

Adapting to online writing - there are lots of little things.  Like titles, for instance.   We were always taught to write catchy titles.  Write a catchy title online, and you will guarantee the failure of your article. 

Your title should always be a phrase which people would type into Google when looking for an article like yours.  The result is that successful titles are usually boring - something your editor would have scolded you for, I'm sure!

For instance, you have a Hub, "Girls' Facial Language to Help Guys Know Where They Stand".  That is a clever, catchy title which would be perfect in a print publication. But if you try typing "Girls' facial language" slowly into Google, you'll see that Google auto-complete doesn't respond.  That means no one in the entire world is searching for that phrase, so that makes it a terrible title.  Play around with Search a little, and you'll find "female facial expressions"  does auto-complete, so that is a good phrase to include in your title.  You need to play that little game every time you want to create a title. 

You could probably improve the chances of many of your existing Hubs by doing that exercise on the title.  When writing future Hubs, it's an exercise you should do before you even start writing.  Because if you can't work out a phrase that people would type into Google, then it's not even worth writing the Hub, because it won't get Google traffic - and without Google traffic, you'll get very little income, no matter what you do.

One more tip - I notice, when writing your Hubs, that you use a rambling conversational style, and you mention the word "Hub" in your article, or refer to HubPages staff or other Hubbers.   If all you're doing is writing for your HubPages' followers, that's fine - but if you want to earn income from your Hubs, then you should be writing for complete strangers, exactly like you used to write in a newspaper.   You don't want those readers to feel unwelcome because they feel like you're writing for a few select friends, and you don't want to annoy them by wandering off topic either.

@Marisa smile thank you so very much. Now I am beginning to see what I have been doing wrong. And I am guilty of doing things absolutely incorrect. Thank you and I mean that sincerely, for taking the time to talk to me.
                I am going to change my gears and adapt a "con" for mentions of HP members, etc., and work on an online catch, but not that much in parody. Thanks so much and Happy Memorial Day!

@Marisa,
                  I hope that you had a safe Memorial Day, and since you put this post about writing ONLINE for me, I have written a few that were about a different topic than a first person, newspaper column style of hub.
                  "Hog Killiin'" a Sure Southern Tradition" is evidence of that online venture. No. It is not pretty or poetic, but honest.

5. Venkatachari M profile image84
    Venkatachari Mposted 7 years ago

I hope I can understand the position of HubPages staff. But, as a matter of fact, the banners and accolades have been loved by most of us. So, we may take some time in accepting the fact that they are being removed.

6. Sherry Hewins profile image93
    Sherry Hewinsposted 7 years ago

As Christy said, Editor's Choice did nothing to gain traffic for the chosen hubs, so I have no problem with losing the accolade.

It seems like I heard a while back that hubs that had been HOTD and Editor's Choice were going to gain some kind of priority in being reviewed for moving to network sites. If my account is any example, that has not been the case.

It does seem a waste of resources that hubs that have already been reviewed for quality don't have some advantage. It sounds like traffic is still the main thing that moves a hub up in the queue.

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I had one 'hub of the day' moved to a niche site, automatically. I never expected it to get traffic (terrible title/keywords) but on a niche it quickly passed the 100 visits-a-day mark.

Quality has a surprising correlation with traffic but no page will never get traffic languishing on HP.

Basically, I am saying, if a page is worthwhile, move it to a niche. Only then will you see if it gets traffic or not.

7. agilitymach profile image94
    agilitymachposted 7 years ago

I have always opted out of the EC program.  I felt it wouldn't be a great benefit to me, and thus I decided not to do it.  I won't miss it, but I do give kudos to those that whose hubs received the EC distinction.  Although the program is going away, you can know your hub was well received by HP. smile

8. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 7 years ago

The decision to drop the Editor's Choice designation makes sense since most traffic comes from search, and those visitors usually don't look at our profiles where the banner would be seen. I am sure that's why it never really helped improve traffic, as Christy had said.

The move of hubs to the network niche sites has proven to be a much better method of improving traffic. I can understand why resources need to be applied where it helps the most. In my opinion, HubPages has always focused on what's important for the success of us all.

With that said, I'll miss the accolade, but always look forward to continued improvements.

1. Ashish Dadgaa profile image46
      Ashish Dadgaaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Very well said Mr. Stok.

I really appreciate your view smile

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
        Glenn Stokposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Ashish.

2. Jan Saints profile image88

And what's the purpose of Editor's Choice? Is it not to give articles the quality needed by search engines which bring the traffic?

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
        Glenn Stokposted 7 years agoin reply to this

No Jan. Search engines never noticed if a hub was Editor's Choice or not, and there was no banner in the SERPs for people to see either. The only people who would have seen the banner are those who looked at our profiles. Therefore it's no lose to have it removed. Actually, we gain by not having it anymore since staff can put more resources towards reviewing hubs for network niche sites.

I mean, search engines are tailored to favor quality articles (i.e. ranking them better and allowing them gain more traffic). So I expect Editor's Choice hubs (which are of good quality) to get noticed by search engines and get ranked higher in the SERPs thus bringing some good traffic.

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
      DzyMsLizzyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

@Glen: I never understood why the EC banner was not displayed ON the hub itself.  That would seem to have given it more status and possibly more traffic, than just having it on our profile/stats page, which, as you correctly pointed out, is usually not read by outside readers.

9. Rangoon House profile image88
    Rangoon Houseposted 7 years ago

Congratulations and good luck Christy and team. I find it very reassuring to know you are always "on the case" to improve opportunities for all of us, especially when I would have no clue if doing this by myself without the HubPages platform and expertise.

Rangoon House, that Christy is always on her "A game," no matter what problem or question is facing me, she is always there to help.
      I wish there were more people in our world like Christy.

1. Rangoon House profile image88
        Rangoon Houseposted 7 years agoin reply to this

So true Kenneth. Grateful that we have the A-gamers in our little world here.

10. TeriSilver profile image94
    TeriSilverposted 7 years ago

I cannot say whether the EC banners on my hubs would, could or have led to more views. But having them there makes me feel good and know that others value my work.  I would like to keep those reminders, if at all possible, because, I admit, it's an "ego" thing.  And because I have so few reminders these days of anything in life that I do well, it's nice to have that positive feedback.

They were a real motivator for me, because it showed someone appreciated my work. I can see that now more effort needs to be put into the niche sites.

11. Buildreps profile image85
    Buildrepsposted 7 years ago

Good choice, since it was subjected to subjectiveness.

12. neenasatine profile image58
    neenasatineposted 6 years ago

Oh well. That is why I no longer see Editor's Choice few months ago

13. GodsOfRock profile image78
    GodsOfRockposted 6 years ago

I'm posting without reading the entire thread, so forgive me if I am repeating other's thoughts: I realize this is an old thread, but noticed the Hub Hopper being retired too recently.

First off I would like to say I think what HubPages has done the last 4 years or so to stay a float on the Post Panda ocean is admirable. Perhaps a minor miracle?

These types of cut backs do give me caution though. I've been laid off from many a factory job in my lifetime, and after a while you get a queasy feeling in your gut when you see the warning signs.

I'll just say I like HubPages, the new sites with separate domains were a great idea, but I am back to having that queasy feeling.

1. EricDockett profile image97
      EricDockettposted 6 years agoin reply to this

There is no reason for queasy feelings, once you realize what Editor's Choice was, and wasn't. Getting rid of it was not a big thing.

Back in 2013, when EC debuted, our accounts were on subdomains. This meant your home page was you.hubpages. com, and all of your Hubs were on that subdomain. They were like individual little websites, in a way.

Winning an Editor's Choice meant not only a nice attaboy for your Hub, but that your Hub was moved away from your subdomain, and over to the main HubPages domain. This was presumably done as an attempt to strengthen the main domain with the best Hubs.

Many writers, me included, didn't like this so much, because we felt it weakened our subdomains. I believe I kept EC active for this account just to see what would happen, but opted out for my other accounts.

Obviously subdomains are gone now, and all Hubs are initially on the main HP domain before moving to a niche site. Getting your Hub moved to a niche site is essentially the same level of recognition as getting an Editor's Choice, but it has a much greater impact on the potential success of your Hub. There is no longer a need for the EC program.

The EC program was an experiment that didn't really appear to get the results the Team had hoped for. HP has tried many experiments and different plans of attack over the years. Some worked out brilliantly (niche sites), while some exploded in a fireball of madness (Squid merger.) The fact that they still keep on trying new ideas is the reason they, and we, are still around.

@EricDockett . . .now I have my eyes opened. In my Six Years on HP, and over 1300 hubs, count 'em, 1300! I have NEVER, no matter how hard I have worked or the hours of research, been given an EC hub.
        I just wonder if "I" was not thought of by HP editors to be only comic relief?

1. EricDockett profile image97
          EricDockettposted 6 years agoin reply to this

@Kenneth: Please see my reply in the niume thread.

I'll also add: The job of the site editors is to find Hubs they think will  do well on the niche sites. I don't even remember who chose the EC hubs - that was before we had editors - but it was the same idea.

Not being chosen doesn't make you "comic relief". It just means you are not producing what they want to see. You can change that by learning more about online writing and creating the kinds of Hubs they want to see. Learn SEO. Learn how to create pages that get traffic. Learn how to choose topics that are likely to succeed.

Or not. It's up to you. There are certainly people around here who appreciate your writing and your presence in the forums. You can keep on writing whatever you wanna write, and there is nothing wrong with that either.

@Eric, tremendous information. Thanks. I can be flexible with all of your comment except for the time factor. I have not got the time to spend researching the various (reliable) sites and labels teaching me how to write online topics.
            So now . . .I will just start from scratch and review a lot of my first followers and read. That is all. Read. Then maybe I can get a better viewpoint.

2. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it's a bad sign, I think they are getting rid of things they don't need anymore, as they upgrade and improve. It could mean they've vetted enough articles or their vetting system has improved enough for them to get rid of the Hub Hopper, for instance. From what I can tell, HP is still strong and getting stronger with the new niche sites.

14. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 6 years ago

Obviously, I was a little out of touch yesterday. Might be that glass of wine, lol. I didn't even notice that the thread was several months old.

Put myself in the corner with the dunce's cap, I reckon...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)