Paid on 80/20 instead of 60/40

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)
  1. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 7 years ago

I know this is going to be a big no, but honestly, I would be motivated to write more hubs and clean up old ones if I got paid 80% instead of 60%. Even 70% would motivate me more. Anyone else feel the same?

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Gets my vote, lol.

1. gmwilliams profile image83
        gmwilliamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000........

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

I'm sure we all would - but you're asking HubPages to take a 50% pay cut.  Do you really think they can afford to do that?

melbelposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I can definitely see that, however, I wonder if over time they would earn more as writers are more motivated to stay with HubPages.

I thought of different ways HubPages could increase the pay rate while not immediately losing out on a lot of money.

For example, users could opt into a tier system where their current hubs are "locked in" at 60% (they can't delete them and re-add them to game the system. Perhaps HubPages could institute this only for people who don't delete hubs, if you delete hubs, you're dropped from the earnings increase program??)

Then as users write new hubs of x quality (where x could be hub score, traffic, whatever), the new hub is under the 70% or 80%. Also with the creation of this new hub, the user would be able to "liberate" a "locked in" hub which would then go up to the 70-80%.

-------

Or hubbers could could just continue writing new hubs and after doing some things (whatever hubpages decides), they'll be able to boost a hub to a higher tier.

If it's done a hub at a time, with some sort of incentive to write more hubs in order to get your other hubs at a higher earning potential, I feel like HubPages could only win.

3. earner profile image81
    earnerposted 7 years ago

We used to be able to get 10% of impressions for some time (I think it was an hour) by referring people to the hubs of others.  e.g. I could've seen one of your hubs and linked to it with a tracker and if any traffic I sent to your hub through my tracker resulted in a click I stood a 10% chance of it being "my earnings".  They removed that.

They removed it and now there's no incentive for me to go through your hubs and think "that's a good one" and link to it.

Snip ... snip ... snip .... went the income.

They took away the carrot, the donkey no longer moves.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Did you ever work out how much extra you actually got from that?  It would've been very little, and they removed it for a good reason.   

Internal linking is good for SEO, but HubPages already has an extensive internal linking system (related Hubs etc). Encouraging Hubbers to add even more risked looking spammy.  Also, HubPages is quite a volatile place - Hubbers delete Hubs all the time and that was creating a lot of broken links in Hubs that had linked to them, and Google can penalise a site for too many broken links.  So overall it's a good thing it's gone.

1. earner profile image81
        earnerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The point is, there was a chance of getting something if one chose carefully.  I was speaking more of external links into the site, not internal linking.  e.g. where I have, say, a website and/or Facebook page about a subject I could share 2 other people's links/day, providing my readers with a wide variety of pieces about the subject, rather than just linking to my own stuff.

4. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 7 years ago

I realize there are problems with the above ideas, but as is, HubPages is kind of a depressing place. I keep my hubs here because they earn some income without me having to do much, but the key takeaway here is that I don't do much. At all anymore. I feel like 60% is just too low. The niche sites have helped, but it's too little too late.

HubPages used to be a fun community where I felt proud of my work and rewarded for good work. There were great mods like Simone and Maddie that engaged with the community. I just feel like it's cold and robotic anymore and I don't earn much, so what's the point of writing more.

I WANT to want to write more. I would gladly take an incentive to write more, but I just feel like with a shrinking CPM and only 60% payout, I ought to put eggs in another basket.

It makes me sad, I love HubPages.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
      PaulGoodman67posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I love HP too and like you, I've not written much new recently.  I seem to spend my time editing old stuff, which is good practice, but less fun.  I don't think that's through lack of incentive though, as I'm doing better now than I've ever done!

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think you ought to have your eggs in another basket anyway.  However, a shrinking CPM is not unique to HubPages so bear that in mind!

I agree, the community is not what it was.  I still cling to HubPages as my online 'home' (it's the place I come when I'm sitting at my computer and looking for excuses not to work!), but there's no denying it's not the fun place it used to be - and the staff are more distant and much less willing to listen to/consider Hubbers' ideas. 

I agree with Will that the niche sites are the future of HubPages and should offer a better return in the long run.  But it's just a fact that writing online has changed, that's just the way it is.

This. 100%.

They used to do podcasts and talk to people on Twitter (more than just post links), they used to come into the forums and interact with us instead of just leave notices. The blog and newsletter would feature a person and the person would tag another person to be featured. We got to know the mods and they got to know us, they commented on our hubs and they got a community going where we would go around and interact with other hubbers.

Now I feel like it's just hard to get to know other people. It feels so I don't know... "all for himself" now or something.

At first I blamed the big change in site navigation (which I still don't like) that occurred what like 3 or 4 years ago, but it's just cold anymore.

Like you, I continue to come here. It's just home, even if it doesn't feel the same.

5. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

I don't think its all doom and gloom, by any means.

I have a feeling that the niche sites will grow in authority more and more, and it will become possible to rank for quite competitive keywords. Anyone, who has the time to write, might get a good reward a few years down the road for what seem like tough topics, right now.

Also, pages that are suitable for Amazon ads can give a good return. HP have pretty much worked out which topics can work and which cannot, so writers need to understand, too.

'Fraid, I can't see them upping the percentage they pay us, given that their cpms have fallen at the same rate that ours have. They might experiment with different ad types going forward, of course.

As to the social milieu, I suppose we could ask Christy to wear a funny hat now and again, lol.

6. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

I think you might be arriving at your 'Remembrance of Things Past' moment, a little early in life, lol.

Mayhaps.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)