Best answer was chosen on my question, and I did not choose it!

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (95 posts)
  1. Faith Reaper profile image84
    Faith Reaperposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13124056.jpg
    I apologize, but it seems a "Best" answer was chosen on my question when I did not choose it.  I hope the HP Team can help me or someone can inform me why that happened!  I noticed it via my phone and I knew that I did not choose an answer and I was not going to do so any time soon.  I just asked the  person to repost her answer as I had to delete it, as I did not choose it as "Best" and I want her answer to remain.  Again, I'm sorry, but I do not know what happened here.  Thank you for understanding.

1. Venkatachari M profile image83
      Venkatachari Mposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It is extremely an awkward position for you as well as for the person whose answer you might have deleted. But, very offensive on the part of that person who might have done that indecent act. He/she must open up and submit the reason for committing such heinous act.
      I can understand your position and am with you. I hope HP team will be doing something for it.

Faith Reaperposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Ven, it most certainly is awkward to say the least!  After arriving home last evening from work, I noticed I had email notifications of answers and comments.  Once I signed in and checked, I immediately noticed the big yellow box around someone's answer and it indicating it as "Best" when I had not even read the answer and did not choose a "Best" answer.  I have no clue how this could have happened and I am hoping the HP Team can undo the "Best" as I did not choose it.

Wonder if I need to reset my password on HP?

Thanks

1. Venkatachari M profile image83
          Venkatachari Mposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You can reset the password even now, without waiting for the  reply from HP Team (if you think so).

OK, Ven, I guess that wouldn't hurt to just be safe.  Thank you again. 

I did send the HP Team an email, and hopefully they can help.  What's so bad is that I had not even read that person's answer and would not have chosen it as "Best" but I do want the answer to remain of course.  As I stated, I had not planned on choosing a "Best" answer any time soon.

2. Faith Reaper profile image84

Here we go again!  Another BEST answer was chosen on this very question once again, when I did NOT choose it?  Why does this keep happening on this particular question.  I appreciate the HP Team for correcting it the last time it happened by removing the BEST answer that was chosen when I did not chose it, but just today, I noticed another BEST answer was chosen?

I am at a loss because I certainly have NOT chosen a BEST answer and had not planned on doing such anytime soon!  I would not have chosen that answer as BEST, not that there is anything wrong with that answer, but I just would not have chosen it as BEST.  It's like someone is putting words in my mouth, and it is not FAIR to all those who have participated in the question.

I have sent the HP Team another email and hope they will correct it once again.  This is very frustrating to say the least!!!

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
        Glenn Stokposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Faith, Did you change your password after the last time as we discussed?  I remember also asking - Did you have HubPages confirm the IP address of whomever it was who selected it as best answer?  Is it the same IP address this time? From that they can track who it is. Ask them to block that IP address.

Hi Glenn,

Yes, I changed my password.  HP removed the last BEST answer chosen and I don't see that person on HP any longer.  I didn't ask HP, as I was just so relieved that BEST answer was removed.  Now, here we go again, as I know I did not choose that answer as BEST and would not have, although there is nothing wrong with the answer, I would not have chosen it as BEST.  Again, I had not planned on choosing a BEST answer anytime soon! 

OK; I will do so.  The difference between this hubber is that his/her answer was posted six weeks ago, whereas the other one had just joined HP and right away her answer was chosen as BEST. 

I'm glad that it can be undone and hope the HP Team will once again undo that BEST.

Now the question has 179 answers and 2,986 views and hundreds of comments on the 179 answers!

Thanks, Glenn.

I think you missed the point. The only person who can select the best answer is you. So since you didn't do it, that would mean that someone else has access to your account. If they track the IP address they might match it to another Hubber.

It's good you changed you password. But maybe you have malware that is reading everything you type on your keyboard. So if you change your password, the hacker will have gotten the new one. This is still something to be investigated, especially since this happened to you after changing your password.

Oh, I understand!  Yikes, that is a scary thought.  Well, I hope they do track whoever keeps doing this, and why is it so important for them to do such?

However, having said that, when one does click on the up or down arrow and/or make a comment on a question, the option to choose Best answer is right below it and it would be easy to inadvertently click on Best answer if one is not careful, but then again, it has that option that pops up, "Are you sure you want to choose this answer as Best" and, of course, I would have stated, NO!

Well, I'm not sure how to check for Malware as I have a Norton Antivirus on my computer, but I can contact the service and have them do a long check?

If you have Windows, Norton can miss things. Some malware "hides" under windows and the only way to catch it is to run a virus check outside of windows (before it boots up). Norton doesn't do that.

Oh, really!  Okay.  I will certainly do that then.  Thank you so much, Glenn.  You are always a huge help in these types of issues!  I appreciate you. Just any one or is there a good one to use?

My pleasure.

There are two good ones and they are both free for individuals to download. Malwarebytes and Avast.

Avast is the one that has a feature you set to run before Windows boots up on the next restart of your computer. It's really powerful since nothing can hide form that.

You can Google both to find them. Make sure you download from their own sites.

2. Natalie Frank profile image91
              Natalie Frankposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Is there a way someone can mimic your IP address?  I seem to have had this problem on FB and I know I wasn't alone.  Hopefully that's not happening here.  Good luck Faith.  I hope everything gets cleared up soon!

Thanks, Natalie, Yes, HP undid the "Best" that l did not choose. I was relieved. It happened twice. Don't know what or who was the reason though, but glad it is remedied.

1. Natalie Frank profile image91
                  Natalie Frankposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hope they figure out how it happened and prevent it from happening in the future.  Great questions and great discussion by the way!

Thank you, Natalie.  I think HP can track IP addresses to see who may have logged into my account possibly?  The first person whose answer was voted on as best, had just posted the answer and then that person's answer was chosen as best.  HP removed her answer and I don't see that person any more on HP, so ...not sure what happened.  Then another one was chosen and they removed it after looking into it.  So, maybe they can tell I did not choose it myself. 

However, I do have a suggestion for HP and that is to not have the "Best" button so close to the submit button on an answer, as one can inadvertently click that, especially when on a cell phone or tablet it seems. However, I know that did not happen because it will give you a prompt and ask are you sure you want to choose that answer as "Best" and one has to confirm.

3. lovetherain profile image80
      lovetherainposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Quick, this is an emergency! Someone please call 911!

Hahaha ...Yes, too much drama.

I was concerned being it is a hot topic question with views over 3,000 and hundreds of answers, and for someone to choose an answer that I did not choose nor would have chosen is wrong and misrepresents me.  If it were a nothing question, no big deal ...

2. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 7 years ago

Faith, I've noticed that sometimes "Best Answers" are chosen within a day or two when there are only one or two answers to a question. I usually don't comment on a question when this happens and was of the opinion that the person who posted the question was "jumpin' the gun". I didn't realize that this not always the case. Thanks for posting this question. Did somebody do it or did an HP computer go off half cocked? Maybe we will get an answer from HP.

Hi MizB, Something went half cocked alright! I'm so upset over this and just don't know what to think or do, other than what I've already done ...to no avail as of yet! I'm popping on here on my lunch break via my phone, so I hope nothing more goes whacky. I wanted this question to continue on for a good long while, especially being so many people have been expressing their views on this particular issue of defending our country and so I think it is important to allow as many people as there are who wish to answer. However, with "Best" somehow already being selected may stop people from even answering, possibly. More to the point though, the fact that I did not pick the answer as "best" is disturbing to me. There is nothing at all wrong with her answer, it's just I did not choose it! I tried to delete it and apologized and asked her to repost her answer, but it looks like it is still showing up as "Best"!

3. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

Might it be the hand of God?

Hahaha, Will, Well, I needed a good laugh about now, so thank you for at least providing tension relief here for me!

4. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 7 years ago

Faith,  I would suggest that you change your password and make it a complicated one.  Don't make it easy to guess. The only thing I can imagine is that somebody logged into your account. As far as I know you are the only one who can select the best answer.

Hi Glenn, Yes, that's all I can come up with as well. Exactly, we should be the only one to be able to choose Best on our own questions!  Surely, HP can undo the pick and the question can continue along as I had wanted it to do to allow as many people to express how they feel on the important issue!

1. sallybea profile image94
        sallybeaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I had something strange happen the other day when I answered a question.  As I hit the button I noticed that there was a blue thumb up.  Quite honestly there simply was not enough time for anyone to thumb up my answer.  It seemed to have been done automatically. I was told that comments have been outsourced but no-one seems to want to admit this publicly.

Hi Sally, that is odd for sure.  Oh, wow, about the comments being outsourced possibly!  Hmm, well, that may explain a few things if that is the case.

I guess I'm not going to hear back from the HP Team to address my problem any time soon, so I  am debating whether I need to just delete the entire question being it reflects a "Best" answer that I did not choose?  The only problem about doing that is that so many ( into the hundreds) have answered the question and have taken time to participate.  I hope the powers that be can undo the choice of best and leave the answer ... as that is the only way it will be okay in my mind. I guess, for me, it boils down to principle, being that it should be up to me to make the choice and if I didn't make it, it should be removed.

2. Glenn Stok profile image96

Sally, what you read about comments being outsourced had nothing to do with Q&A. It has to do with comments on hubs, which are being screened so that poor quality comments (bad grammar, no substance, self promotional links, etc) are placed in the Low Quality section of your moderation filter. They don't show up in hubs until you moderate your low quality comments filter and approve them.

But as I said, this has nothing to do with Q&A.

Hi again, Glenn,

Where do I go to change my password?   It's been forever since I've had to change it. Thank you for helping. You are kind to do so.

Hi Faith,

Go to your profile
        Click edit profile
        Click account settings
        Enter the security question you once created
        There you will see the option to change your password.

Make sure you don't have malware on your computer that might be monitoring your keyboard activity before changing your password or all this will be in vain. I still think someone accessed your account since no one else can select a best answer in the Q&A.  Good luck.

Thank you, Glenn.

You may be very well right.  I will check about the malware, and that is a bit disturbing to think about the monitoring of my keyboard!  But what if I use different devices such as a tablet at times or my smart phone, and then my laptop?  Would that be an issue on all electronics or just my laptop?  I'm sorry, but I am not too tech savvy, obviously.

Another thing that's not fair is that after I tried to delete the comment that someone chose as best, my score dropped just that quick.  I did so in thinking that the person could repost her answer and then I would be free to choose best answer when I felt the time is right. The only thing is, is that it is still visible to everyone although it states "undelete" answer?  Obviously, once best answer is chosen, it can't be deleted all the way being it is still visible. So, that means when the person saw the prompt asking ...are you sure you want to chose best answer, they had to click yes, unless there was a huge glitch in the system?

Or another possibility is when I was on my phone last evening it froze up and it had taken me awhile to get out of making a comment, and so I switched to my laptop.  Do you think that when my account was open on my phone is when someone could have gotten in? However, that happened long after the comment was chosen.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
            Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

How about you post a link to the question, and we can have a look and confirm whether we can see it or not.

I suspect only you can see it, but it will set your mind at rest if others can check

Hi Marisa, Yes, that would certainly set my mind to rest if others cannot see it. And that is the reason I tried to delete it and asked the person to repost her answer. I apologized too. I was thinking it shouldn't still be visible to others just like when we hide a comment ...for example, when two of the same comment appears and we hide one but only we can still see it. However, I had a fellow hubber and friend check and he sent me a screenshot and  it was still visible as far as I could tell, even though it states "undelete" answer.  Is it okay to post a link to my own question here? Well, it is the last question I asked with hundreds of answers, which is why I am so upset about it. If that were not the case, I would just delete it.

I looked at your list of your Q&A and found one where you selected best answer of someone who simply said they guess that someone else knows. It's the one asking about IP addresses in comments. I answered that just now with the correct answer. Go take a look.

I also looked at your last Q&A question, the one you are concerned about with hundreds of answers. Yes, I do see the best answer. Strange indeed. And it's posted by a new user who signed up 44 hours ago, never completely set up her account, has no hubs and no profile.

My conclusion: maybe answers that are already selected a best cannot be deleted. I suspect there might be a bug that displays the undelete option even though it is still visible due to the "best answer" status. But that's only a guess I'm making based on my computer programming background. I suspect the code was written to always display best answers and that overrides the fact that you deleted it. But as I said, it's only my assumption of what's happening here.

Hi Glenn, my problem is with my last question that has over 150 answers. If it weren't for that, I'd just delete the entire question. Thank you for checking the other question though in an effort to help.

Sorry, I added more to that comment. You're too quick!  LOL.  Go read the extra I just added.

2. sallybea profile image94

I want to put a spanner in the works now.  If the whole question is deleted do you lose all the earnings made from it>   As I understand it, you get paid for questions and answers!

Thank you, Glenn. Yes, I believe your assumptions are correct in that best answers cannot be deleted. Well, that is interesting about the person just joining with no profile and no hubs as the one "someone" chose as best! Hmm, I wonder if that person were to be banned, her activity disappears from others' pages?

Hi Faith, In response to your various questions...

Malware can be on any device if you're not careful about avoiding clicking links in emails that can cause auto installation of viruses.

I dought that your score dropping has anything to do with deleting the comment. Scores always go up and down.

How do you know the deleted comment is still visible by everyone. Did you actually log out and look at it? If you are logged into your account you will always see it - and you'll have the option of undeleting it. Which brings up an interesting point I just thought of as I type this - if you go ahead an undelete it, will it revert to a regular comment without having the "best answer" status?  Try it!

As for your last question, you say you left it open on your phone. Did someone in your house have access to your phone? If you leave any device logged in and if it's available to another person, they can do anything. They may have clicked the option to select best answer.

I found a link to an old thread written by Paul which may help with regards to the actual question you posed.   
              http://hubpages.com/community/forum/2876/a-few-changes

Oh, thank you so much, Sally!  You are so kind to continue to try to help.  As I stated to Glenn, if I had not received over 150 answers on the questions and 2,378 views, I would just delete my entire question, but so many have taken the time to express their views on the serious topic, which is obviously relevant at this time here in the US, I just don't feel good about deleting it. On the other hand, I don't feel good at all that someone was allowed to chose "Best" answer.  Glenn pointed out the hubber whose answer was chosen as "Best" not be me, had just joined with no profile or anything else, but answered my question and then "her" answer was chosen "Best" and I have a feeling by that same person!

I would not delete it.  You are earning money from it, more so with this debate going on:)  I know it goes against the grain but perhaps staff will address your question after the weekend.  Let us hope so.

She is not talking about deleting the entire question. She is only concerned about trying to delete that one single answer we have been discussing.

As for staff deleting it, I mentioned earlier that I bet the code is written so that it may not be possible once the answer is selected as best.  Maybe the only thing they can do is to look at the log and see if the person selecting "best" was from her IP address or from the person who posted the answer. If it's that person, then they had access to Faith's account and that would be bad news.

Sally, I just checked that link, which is helpful as far as answering the IP address question, and I just noticed that the IP addresses are not showing up on that question, which is interesting too, if they are supposed to be there for at least me to be able to view?

So the plot thickens:)

Yes, it is ..

Hi Sally,

Matt and the HP Team fixed my problem, as the "Best" answer was removed as "Best!  I'm so thrilled for it felt like someone was putting words in my mouth.

Now, I'm free to choose a "Best" answer when I so desire.

Thank you Team HubPages and Matt!

5. Phyllis Doyle profile image90
    Phyllis Doyleposted 7 years ago

Faith, it could be that more readers voted that answer up than any of the other answers, so it was automatically highlighted as 'Best Answer'.  Was there a notice in the feed the "Faith Reaper has chosen a best answer to ........"? , if not then it could very well be what I said, that more people voted that answer up.

Hi Phyllis,

Oh, really!  Wow, I did not know that, but I do know that when readers vote an answer up, the one with the most will move to the top of the page, but has never been actually chosen as "Best" as that should be decided by the one who posted the question.  I wasn't planning on choosing a "Best" answer any time soon, as the answers continued coming in, but now ...

I know what you are saying, as the black part of "Best" will be bolded and be moved to the top of the page, but this woman just joined HP and posted an answer and right away, her answer is actually chosen Best?  I've never had that happen before on an answer.  I don't think her answer was voted as best by others even, as it had just been posted and didn't have time for that to happen.

I wish I could edit my question to state to all those who read the question and all the answers that I did not choose that answer as Best!  It just burns me up that it happened. 

Is there some kind of limit on answers to questions or something?

I will go back and check my notifications if it was ever stated that I, "Faith Reaper" chose Best answer.  That is a good idea and would confirm that I did not pick the answer!

That information was wrong. See my reply.

As for limiting answers, you can shut off further answers by closing the question.

Thank you, Glenn.  I see that ...hmm.  She joined HP right about the same time she answered the question and then her question is chosen as Best?  Something is amiss, at least in my mind. 

Oh, I don't want to limit any answers at all, and all I want to do is figure out how to let everyone know I did not choose that answer as Best. 

Maybe, as you've stated, HP will check everything out after the weekend, because I know they can check into that person's activity to see if something is amiss, I'm assuming.

Phyllis, Good point. I looked at Faith's activity log. It shows that she selected that answer as best 46 hours ago.  But that doesn't mean anything if someone else had access to her account and did it.

As for automatically becoming "best" based on many votes, it doesn't work that way.

That's funny (strange), because I checked that person's activity and that is about the time she joined HP too!!!

3. Faith Reaper profile image84

Hi Phyllis,

Matt and Team HubPages addressed my issue and corrected the problem, and removed the "Best" answer from my hot question that I did not choose, so now I am free to choose "Best" answer as I see fit!

Well done, your persistence was rewarded in the end. Glad it worked out.  Staff generally do their best for all of us.

Thanks, Sally.  Yes, I thought they would not be able to address the problem for a long time due to all the changes going on, so I am pleased, especially that they were able to remove that answer as "Best"!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)