How can I get in touch with those who snip hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Lynne-Modranski profile image78
    Lynne-Modranskiposted 7 years ago

Every time my hubs get edited the only changes that are ever made are the deletion of my Amazon modules.  What's up?  They are relevant and usually only one!  I make money on those links (some days more than I make on ad revenue).  I need to know what the problem is with my Amazon modules.  I want to keep in compliance, but if you're stealing my revenue what good are my pages?

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I looked through your pages and to be honest I did not see one where the addition of an Amazon ad could be seen as serving the reader. Would you care to name one of the pages that you think would benefit from Amazon?

Lynne-Modranskiposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I had an amazon module on this page: https://letterpile.com/misc/devotions4
        Linking to a book that includes all of the devotions found on that page, plus other devotions from my hubpages.  All of the devotions are on hubpages.  It's my archive for a mailing list I use.  But at least a couple of times a week I have folks who enjoy them enough they buy the whole book.  I would say that the link useful and relevant and the page was not created merely for revenue.  Every devotion in the book is available on hubpages and through my e-mail list.  I'm not in it just for the money; however, I also need to make some revenue when I can.   The book I listed is: https://smile.amazon.com/Devotions-Chur … 006UZM60G/

2. Christy Kirwan profile image89
      Christy Kirwanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Lynne-Modranski, all products must serve the reader (meaning the Hub would be much less useful if they were removed) and you must demonstrate personal experience with every item you include. Will Apse is correct that we also look at the reader's intention when snipping. If products are on a Hub where someone is likely to shop ("Best Eye Makeup Brushes," for example), more products will be allowed to stay. However, if the reader is only seeking information, you need to give a compelling reason for the product to remain.

Is there anything I can do to make the snipping stop?

I just spent a lot of time editing a hub to make it valuable as well as profitable.

Then I got an e-mail  . . .
        Two Amazon modules - completely relevant
        Plus one with links to other hubs on the same topic
        GONE

I  am really sorry, I don't mind being in compliance, but when you remove my revenue stream, what am I supposed to do.  I try to contribute information that is of interest, but truthfully, if I can't make money off it, I might as well just put it on my blog and work to monetize it a bit.  It was just always easier here.

I'd feel bad about this, but I'm pretty sure there are some folks in the office there making some money off my hubs . . . so why shouldn't I?  I don't make a lot, but the extra bit each month or so from my Amazon sales helps.  (they are my own books - of which every word for most is available online, so when people purchase them, they obviously find the links valuable)

I'd really rather have my hub unfeatured with the Amazon modules than featured without the modules.  I get the same traffic either way because most comes from my own referrals or other hubs, and I make money on the Amazon end as well as the little bit I make here should it happen to be my turn to make money on the Amazon modules.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

No, there is no way to make the snipping stop, but there is nothing to stop you putting the Amazon capsules back in.

Hubs are snipped because they are being considered for a move to one of the niche sites.  If you put the Amazon capsules back in, it just means the Hub will not be moved to the niche site.   Once you've replaced the capsules and the Hub has been rejected, they probably won't bother trying again.

I let one stay with no Amazon links so that it could stay on the niche site . . . thought maybe that would be good and drive more traffic back to other pages that are similar, but I haven't seen any extra traffic because of the niche, so I'm not sold.

2. Will Apse profile image88

You could try writing the occasional page that is orientated to products that are popular on Amazon. Use Amazon ads on that kind of page and leave them off purely informational pages.

Christy gave a big clue: 'Best Eye Makeup Brushes'.

I gave an idea of how to find topics where you might have real expertise.

A page titled 'The 10 Best Devotional Books for Boys' could do quite well.

Try this search: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c … l+age+9-12

142 people reviewed 'The One Year Book of Devotions for Boys' which means a lot of people bought it.

Obviously, it would be better if you did your own research to find the perfect topic but I hope you get the drift...

Whatever you write, you will need to produce a genuinely good page, of course. The more ads on a page, the better the page needs to be, as far as I am concerned.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I really just want the snipping to stop.

I dont' want to write about what I dont know about.

I write devotions and bible studies.
            I put the ENTIRE BOOK FOR FREE ON HUBPAGES.

All I ask is that Hubpages let me put the Amazon link on the page so that if folks think what they just read for free is worthwhile they can buy it (and they do!) And truthfully if that isn't relevant and worthwhile, what the heck is!?

I don't make enough from the Amazon commissions here to make it worth my time to just have Amazon links that aren't relevant and aren't my stuff, but on the other end I AM THE SELLER!  Between my 8% here and my 35% to 75% on Amazon (depending on the product) I do OK.

I just want the snipping to stop . . . seriously . . .

Like I said, the snipping won't stop.   If HubPages wants to survive, it must make a success of the niche sites, so it's going to continue to mine the main site for suitable Hubs.   

However as I said, if you put the Amazon capsules back in, they won't come back for a second time - so if you just keep doing that, eventually the snipping will stop.

2. Protasker profile image85
    Protaskerposted 7 years ago

Hubpages doesn't let you use affiliate links unless they are links hubpages gets revenues from?

I'm not using an affiliate link . . . I'm using an Amazon module . . . they make money on this too!  At least 1/2 of my sales don't show up in my Hubpages Amazon revenue, but I'm pretty sure most of my sales are generated from my hubs.

3. Lynne-Modranski profile image78
    Lynne-Modranskiposted 7 years ago

And just a side note . . . I get really frustrated that the "powers" of hubpages never answer in these discussions . . . is there a way to communicate with them ?
    Every time I ask a question it's just other folks like me . . . guessing at what they might be thinking . . . frustrating . . .
    But in the same hand . . . thanks to all of you who are trying to help!

4. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

With Amazon ads, it is all about what searchers are expecting to see. So if you write a hub titled:

small group bible studies dvds

or

small group bible studies books

Then review a few books or dvds, you should get people looking to buy something. People looking to buy something are happy to see Amazon ads and likely to buy.

You really need to review any product that you place an ad for or it will certainly get snipped.

Bottom line: your reader should not have to wade through ads that they are not expecting.

5. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

HubPages is paranoid about Amazon ads.  That's the bottom line.  They've taken advice from Google (too many irrelevant Amazon ads are bad) and exaggerated it to the extreme!

The thing with Amazon ads is that these days they will be snipped unless you make it absolutely clear that you're familiar with the product or book and give a reason why you're recommending it.

They may still miss that explanation if it's in the text of the Hub, so the best place to put it is in the description of the Amazon capsule where they can't miss it.

You have always missed the point with Amazon ads, Marisa. And no doubt always will, lol.

Luckily, staff understand the issues and the niche sites should do fine as a consequence.

Care to explain it the point to me, then? 

I do get the point. 

Google hates EXCESSIVE affiliate advertising.   
        Google hates links to IRRELEVANT products or websites.

I agree with both of those statements.  The difference between me and HubPages is the definition of the words  "excessive" and "irrelevant".  Based on my substantial experience on  other sites, I believe they are interpreting those words far, far too strictly.  And no, I do not believe they are more knowledgeable than me. 

I do not run websites for a living but I do have two hobby sites which earn a small but steady income from affiliate advertising.

HubPages has also invented a rule which Google has never mentioned - that if you're going to include an affiliate product, you must have personal experience of it.  No idea where that one came from.

6. Will Apse profile image88

Nothing wrong with being a hobbyist but you shouldn't be clouding the water for people who are serious about making a living in the long term.

This might be relevant:

http://hubpages.com/community/forum/135 … at-are-not

Next time you come across a Google search that it is not actually product-related but leads to a page with an Amazon ad (or any kind of affiliate ad) post it in the forums.

There must be a few but, generally speaking, Google has weeded them out.

7. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

Thsnks for the insult. Just because I do it as a hobby doesn't mean I don't take it seriously or that I don't do my research. I disagree with you.

Perhaps you would like to present your research.

Mostly, I would like to see some Amazon ads on pages that rank well in search with topics that are not absolutely related to products.

I will be pleased to revise my opinion.

Here is a little of my research, from a long time ago: http://hubpages.com/community/forum/131 … -subdomain

8. Will Apse profile image88

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13239825_f1024.jpg

Screenshot of a few of the things that people search for on Amazon, related to 'devotional'.

There are many, many more.

If you are knowledgeable about any of these topics, you could try writing a page.

Easier to read:

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13239835.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)