Bypassing headline slot

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (35 posts)
  1. kenneth avery profile image80
    kenneth averyposted 7 years ago

I have one simple question.
    Recently I read a hubber's text and was mesmerized by their lay-out/design.
    What impressed me was how they obviously bypassed the slot on the first page "Start New Hub," at the top where we type the headline and they inserted (on their hub) a gorgeous Type-styled or Photo Shop-manufactured headline in a Caligraphy-type of headline.
    My question: How do I bypass the "Start New Hub" slot: "type in headline" and go directly to the hub to start laying in my photos and text?
    Thanks sincerely.
    Kenneth

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 7 years ago

A link would help.

kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

psycheskinner . . .I may be putting my ignorance on display, but can you explain what you mean by link and how to do it? I would much appreciate it.

3. Marisa Wright profile image84
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

I think what Psycheskinner is suggesting is, it would help if we could see the Hub you are talking about.

I can't think of any way that a Hubber could change the font of their Hub title.

1. SheilaMilne profile image92
      SheilaMilneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

My guess is that it's the first image immediately below the actual title, possibly a Made For Pinterest image.

2. kenneth avery profile image80

Marisa, the hubber's work that I read, she changed not only the font, but added an attractive attention compeller that got my attention and kept it. I did NOT see the usual Times/Century Roman-style of headline that HP has in their hopper to use as a headline. Not at all.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      SheilaMilne, I never thought of what you are saying. I may try that when I finish writing the hub that I am researching now.
      Thank you both for your input.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Like I said, we can't comment unless you tell us who the Hubber was and preferably, provide a link to the actual Hub.

@ Marisa, I will take some time to try and find that hub. I wish now that I had taken note of the name.

2. bravewarrior profile image87
          bravewarriorposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Marisa, Kenneth. Without being able to see what you're talking about, it's hard to respond.

@bravewarrior and psycheskinner:
            I hope to find this hub in the near future. But as I recall, there was only ONE headline. Not the one we type to start the hub. That part was not there just the beautifully-designed headline written in a font that is not on HP's font selection.

4. psycheskinner profile image83

If it is an image the plain title will still be there just above it.

psycheskinner, no, it was headline in beautifully-styled words obviously made from a Microsoft Paint, Type Styler or Photoshop program. HP does not have an app for designing headlines like this one that I saw.

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 7 years ago

I just checked. One can indeed stick an innocuous, unnoticeable, single character in the headline slot; thus the image then taking center stage. Not sure that's a good idea though...

but with your idea, which I like, wouldn't the link on HP have JUST that one character since the self-styled headline would not take up the Headline slot?
      I am not getting anywhere.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Very good point.

When first starting a new hub, just use words you would want to be part of the link. As an example, don't use "the", "a", prepositions, etc.

Then, after you have created the hub and are in the regular edit mode, make the title as you would want the reader to see it. Or, in your situation, the "invisible" title; so as to emphasize the entitled image instead.

However, still not sure that's a good idea. Even though your keywords are in the link, having no keywords in the H1 title still seems kind of risky.

Yup, Google suicide

2. kenneth avery profile image80

@paradigmsearch, Marisa . . .I have scoured HP and hubbers high and low and that one hub is so elusive that I almost gave up.
          But . . .when I do find it, no matter the time of day or night, I will post a screenshot of it and then, with evidence to work with, you two can tell me the safest way to accomplish a beautiful-looking hub headline.

There is only one way you could produce a heading like that, and it's to leave the Hub title blank and then use a photo capsule with an image of some beautiful text in it.

In that case, I think the reason you can't find it is because the Hub in question has been unpublished. HubPages would not permit a Hub to have a blank title.

Marisa, I saw it ON HubPages and it had been published.
              I will try harder to locate this hub and hubber and take a screen shot for you all to see and offer comments.

Yes I know, but it might've been published some time ago, before the new standards.  And maybe a moderator has noticed it since then, and unpublished it for breaking the rules.

@Marisa, odds are you are right, but my quest will continue for I would love to see how this operation is executed.

But what is the point if it is illegal and if you use it, it will cause your Hub to be unpublished?

2. FitnezzJim profile image76
                FitnezzJimposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Can you share the subject matter or any other details that might help folks look for it?

FitnezzJim,
                  Sure will. I can't wait.

6. psycheskinner profile image83

I am pretty sure it is what was already discussed, a blank header and an image

7. eugbug profile image95
    eugbugposted 7 years ago

Using non-breaking space characters (rather than spaces) in the title panel of the editor allows you to create a blank title. You need at least 2. You can use the character map to select and copy a non-breaking space character to the clipboard, or hold down 'Alt' and type 0160 on the numeric keypad. You can't leave the title blank because the editor complains. The permalink can be edited to add relevant keywords, but the link may or may not include the leading non-breaking spaces (from the title) after "/hub/". They don't appear if text is added onto the end of the permalink, so they may be stripped out, or are simply not displayed.

As Marisa suggests, the hub you mention may have been noticed and the author got their "knuckles rapped" for not adhering to "The Standards"!

8. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 7 years ago

Have you checked your browser's history to find the link to the hub you're talking about?

9. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 7 years ago

A long time ago, you couldn't use affiliate links within posts. I assume that amazon affiliate links count within that bucket... I've stopped myself from using them in a few recent hubs I've written.. I'd love to know if the rules have changed as I do have my own Amazon Affiliate account set up.

10. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 7 years ago

Your post is not related to this discussion Whitney. However, while I'm here, I might as well give you an answer:

I use 1 Amazon capsule per hub where the product is directly related to the title of the hub. Also make sure you have have personally used the product. You need to have at least 300 words describing why you recommend that particular brand of the product inside and around the Amazon capsule to make it viable. This approach works for me as many such hubs of mine have been transferred to niche sites without any problems.

Here is an example of a hub where the Amazon capsule appears towards the end of the article:

Hang Upside Down to Align Pelvis for Good Posture

Sue, I don't know where you got the idea that you must have 300 words describing the product. I saw another Hubber say this recently and it's not true.

On a lot of my Hubs, I have only one or two sentences about the product and several of those are on the niche sites!  So it is definitely NOT a requirement.

I think the misconception comes from the fact that you must have a RATIO of 300 words of Hub text per Amazon capsule.  So in a 900 word Hub you are limited to 3 Amazon capsules.   However in practice, that many is never allowed, so people think that can't be the rule and are making up their own interpretation.

The most important rule for Amazon is that the product must be DIRECTLY related to the MAIN subject of your Hub and you must be able to say why you recommend the product.  If you apply that rule, you usually can't find more than one or two products that pass that test, so that limits you more than the word count does.

2. Whitney05 profile image83
      Whitney05posted 7 years agoin reply to this

oops sorry. i was on the wrong thread when i posted.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)